eating 1000 cal and feeling great

Options

Replies

• amy_marlene
    amy_marlene Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Ps…, Eating what you say you eat, 5 or 6 times a day would amount to more than 1,000 calories a day. Trust me, I eat super healthy & know my numbers. (I'm done.)
    lol i just said what kind of food i'm consuming,not that i'm consuming it all every day

Sounds like you're on your way to skinny fat. Low metabolism and flabby body. Good luck with eating this way forever.
    actually i can eat like this for my whole life. BECAUSE I'M NOT STARVING MYSELF.
  • beeny83
    beeny83 Posts: 61
    Options
    When i first started on MFP I was eating anywhere from 700 to 1000 calories a day plus working out and burning off anywhere from 300 to 600 calories a day. It worked for me, yes but i was uneducated on the right way to lose the weight. In 100 days I lost about 12 kg. Upon realizing my mistake i began upping my intake to 1200 a day and settled down a bit on the exercise. Now after about 2 and half months I'm upto about 1400 calories a day on most days, some days I still have low calories like today my intake was only 731 but that's not to lose weight that's just because I had a stressful day and was super busy at home all day. I have managed to maintain my weight and even lose a little more during the process of upping my calories. You can not expect to live a long healthy life eating that little. MFP is not just about weight loss but its mostly about health, and by eating 1000 cals a day you are still treating your body just as bad as when you eat to much. I agree with the others just slowly up your intake like I did and you will be fine. :)
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    i'm done here.
    you are all so mean.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    i'm done here.
    you are all so mean.

Try to read the other posts that aren't mean, especially when people have taken their time to tell you their personal story.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Why would you come here and brag about your unhealthy and unsustainable weight loss?

why are you being so rude?
    i'm NOT bragging about anything. i'm just saying how i feel and asking people for advice. that's all.
    i guess i should be apologizing for not being hungry o.O

Don't apologize for anything. Some people will be on the pro side of this argument, others the con. If you want a really good answer, just schedule a physical with your doctor and take all of your weight loss questions to him/her. I did this and I follow up at my semi-yearly exams just to make sure that my program doesn't need to change. I'm not going to agree or disagree with how anyone chooses to lose weight. Just make sure you're doing what feels good for you and what your doctor suggests.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options

Ps…, Eating what you say you eat, 5 or 6 times a day would amount to more than 1,000 calories a day. Trust me, I eat super healthy & know my numbers. (I'm done.)
    lol i just said what kind of food i'm consuming,not that i'm consuming it all every day

Sounds like you're on your way to skinny fat. Low metabolism and flabby body. Good luck with eating this way forever.
    actually i can eat like this for my whole life. BECAUSE I'M NOT STARVING MYSELF.

Hah, yeah right, wait until you get older, your hormones do crazy things that you have NO CONTROL OVER and you get hungry and PMS gets WORSE! Trust me, I never used to feel hungry when I was younger and as I got older, it COMPLETELY changes. Good luck!
  • Fergie21
    Fergie21 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
    You sound really young.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure why people in this thread have trouble eating more calories. If you are full all of the time just eat higher calorie things, not more stuff. My nutritionist told me to add olive oil to salads, or eat almonds. If you eat a chocolate bar this will add almost 300 calories. I'm not suggesting you eat candy to up your calories, but there are better higher calorie foods out there.

I agree - ditch the 'diet' foods to start. There are a ton of nutritionally dense and calorie dense foods for you to eat.

Question, how does one become overweight if they cannot fathom eating more than 1000 calories? Something doesn't add up here.
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    i'm done here.
    you are all so mean.

Try to read the other posts that aren't mean, especially when people have taken their time to tell you their personal story.
    don't worry i did.and i thank them for doing it
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I used to eat that way. I used to believe it was the only way for me to lose weight. I used to not feel hungry and believe I was eating enough.

I was wrong.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore

Last time I lost weight, eating the way you're eating, I was a size 8 (us) at 130 pounds. This time, eating easily twice as much, I'm a size 2 or 4 (US0 at 130 pounds.

Eating so little, you lose lean muscle instead of the fat you want to lose. So you're going to look bigger at your goal weight than if you'd taken a different approach.
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    oh and one more thing.
    i have a binge eating disorder since i was 12.
    so i don't have any eating habits. the only habit i have is overeating all the time.
    so for me this is a lifestyle change.because i don't know how to eat 'normal'.

I suffered from binging for quite some time too! I dont call it a condition in my case as I just didnt understand the basics about nutrition. At my heaviest, I was on the verge of being obese and I was only 15-16 years old. I binged on a daily basis and never knew what a normal portion size of food was, so when I joined MFP, I automatically presumed I had to eat 1,200 cals. I couldnt have been more wrong!! Dont get me wrong, I lost weight and was delighted. But I "Thought" I was full and satisfied eating this low of calories. THEN the weight loss stopped and when I say stopped I mean stalled for months!! Gaining and losing the same measly 2lbs. On top of this I was binging, because on my restrictive 1,100-1,200 cals, I wasnt able to eat any treats or sweet things and If I did, then it took up too many calories and I didnt have enough cals for dinner. It was a vicious cycle that I am glad I have broken!!

Now I eat between 1,500 and 1,700 calories a day and am losing weight!!! I DONT binge any longer, because with that calories allowance, I cant healthily fit in bread and pasta, potatoes and TREATS into my diet without gaining weight because of it!!
    You may think you are full, but I guarantee you that the reason you are binging is because you are eating too low of calories. If you dont up your calories because you say you eat enough and are full, will you please up them to STOP your binge eating habits! Trust me, its worth it!!

Michelle
    x
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    i'm done here.
    you are all so mean.

Why post this if you weren't expecting responses like this?

My personal story.. I used to eat just like you, I did VLCD for years, I lost a lot of weight.. but ended up with an extremely high body fat% and a ton of loose skin. Long story short, I now have a much slower metabolism and have to work pretty hard to lose weight. I also don't have the kind of body I'd be proud to show off in a bikini. I have to wear stockings to cover my legs, and I never go swimming.
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    oh and one more thing.
    i have a binge eating disorder since i was 12.
    so i don't have any eating habits. the only habit i have is overeating all the time.
    so for me this is a lifestyle change.because i don't know how to eat 'normal'.

I suffered from binging for quite some time too! I dont call it a condition in my case as I just didnt understand the basics about nutrition. At my heaviest, I was on the verge of being obese and I was only 15-16 years old. I binged on a daily basis and never knew what a normal portion size of food was, so when I joined MFP, I automatically presumed I had to eat 1,200 cals. I couldnt have been more wrong!! Dont get me wrong, I lost weight and was delighted. But I "Thought" I was full and satisfied eating this low of calories. THEN the weight loss stopped and when I say stopped I mean stalled for months!! Gaining and losing the same measly 2lbs. On top of this I was binging, because on my restrictive 1,100-1,200 cals, I wasnt able to eat any treats or sweet things and If I did, then it took up too many calories and I didnt have enough cals for dinner. It was a vicious cycle that I am glad I have broken!!

Now I eat between 1,500 and 1,700 calories a day and am losing weight!!! I DONT binge any longer, because with that calories allowance, I cant healthily fit in bread and pasta, potatoes and TREATS into my diet without gaining weight because of it!!
    You may think you are full, but I guarantee you that the reason you are binging is because you are eating too low of calories. If you dont up your calories because you say you eat enough and are full, will you please up them to STOP your binge eating habits! Trust me, its worth it!!

Michelle
    x
    thank you for sharing your story with me :) and giving me advice :)
  • DistortedButterfly
    DistortedButterfly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • MeowserKitty
    Options
    You need more food. I'm 5'5 and 115 and I need more than 900 calories, heck I need almost 1800. No, don't force yourself to eat more, just eat more calorie dense things.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    so i've been eating 900-1100 cal per day and i don't feel hungry or tired or anything. i feel great. i also do cardio for 5-6 times a week ( for about 30 minutes )
    i'm 5'5 tall,156 lbs
    i don't feel like my body needs more because i feel full all the time.
    is this wrong?

It;s not just about HOW MUCH food you eat -- it's WHAT you eat. It if you are eating healthy veggies and lean proteins-- this is not a bad thing. If you are eating highly processed food, unrefined carbs, and are not getting the nutrients your body needs- then YES- it's bad.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I was losing on 1200 when I first started but after about a month I changed it to 1700 and I am losing so much more. Try eating your BMR.

Just started this. I've been fluctuating between 3 lbs (my body thinks it's starving, so it's trying to get fat again) so I upped my calories: my TDEE - 500 which is right between my BMR and TDEE

Plus, over the course of 2 years of eating between 600-800 calories MADE ME FAT (don't judge, it was the prescription drugs I was on that I tapered off last year)
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think it doesn't hurt to eat so lightly for awhile. I think doing that as a lifestyle would not be good but for the short term it won't kill you.
    I firmly believe most of us are in the bad habit of eating too much (duh, right?) but we are so used to overstuffing our faces that leaning a bit the other way won't kill us.
    If you were 5'6" and 90 lbs I'd worry that you had food/body image issues. But you are healthy and just aren't hungry! That's natural. Thin people eat a lot sometimes, eat the "right amount" sometimes, and sometimes eat too little. It averages out to eating the right amount. I think you are just learning to listen to your body.
    If you do this for more than a week, pay attention to getting enough fruit, veggies, protein, etc. But I am against "forcing" someone to eat more if they don't feel hungry UNLESS they have an eating disorder.
    Good luck and take care of yourself.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I hope you realize that your body will eventually suffer from malnutrien. It happened to me once. I was over exercising and not eating enough. I didn't do it on purpose I just wasn't hungry and didn't understand how much I should be eating. I passed out @ work, my blood pressure dropped dangerously low and my sugar dropped down to round 26... I turned white my lips were blue the abulance came and rushed me to the ER... I couldn't speak my tounge was numb after all kinds of test my doc asked me how much I was eating and how much exercising was I was doing. I told her... She said it was from malnutrien... Don't think it can't happen to you. I was lucky and from that point I started eating 5 to 6 times a day. It can damage your heart and vital organs. It's just like being anoxeric... Only without even realizing. Not saying I know it all but just telling you my experience. Good luck with that!
  • xafricanqueen07x
    xafricanqueen07x Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Some of the rude and arrogant comments on here absolute disgust me. This is why I rarely post on forums, because I feel that some people project their anger on the OP and use destructive comments to tear down the original post. OP, I have struggled with anorexia, bulimia, binging, and purging, and for the past year I ate 600 calories a day, then 5000, and I stayed the same weight for a year ..I lost 90 lbs but couldn't lose any more. 25 days ago, I told myself NO MORE. I said no matter what I'd force myself to eat between1200-1500 calories, and exercise my butt off. I have now lost 11 lbs in 25 days, and I FEEL GREAT. I know its tempting to only eat 1000 calories, I get it, I'VE BEEN THERE. But start training yourself to eat 1200 at least and drinking at least 12 glasses of water a day. Yesterday I ate 2 candy bars and thought for sure I'd gain weight because I didn't do any exercise at all, GUESS WHAT..I STAYED THE SAME WEIGHT. I have struggled with eating disorders all my life. I was 5'10 and 110 lbs once, then I balloned up to 330 and started losing the weight when I went into diabetic shock and got diabetes. I'm not 223, and I want to be at a healthy 170. Sometimes when I feel full, I have to fight myself and tell myself that I"m feeding my body and it needs these calories. The weight loss has been steady.

OP, I can only suggest what I think, At the end of the day, you will do what you feel is right. But I want to encourage you to try to up your calories more. But you know your body and you know how you feel. So listen to yourself. But if you do every finding yourself feeling hunger, don't be afraid to reach for some healthy clean foods.

Let me now if you have any questions, you can check my diaries too if you want they are public :)
This discussion has been closed.