You are a Runner, NOT a Jogger!

Options
Okay - so I'm really passionate about this one. I really think that many of us, have poor self-esteem, lack confidence, and have a habit of down playing our fitness triumphs, simply because of our histories (i.e. being heavy, out of shape, etc.). Look at you now! You're making strides to get healthy - you're DOING it!!! Anyway... those of us who decided to take up running, had to start slow (it's the safest way to start!). Perhaps we walked a little, then ran at a pace that worked for us, and took a rest... but we ran.

The speed does not matter! I read this and want to share it with you:

"What does it mean to be a runner? Simply that you run. 'To move legs quickly,' says the Oxford English Dictionary. '(the one foot being lifted before the other is set down) so as to go at a faster pace than walking; to cover ground, make one's way, rapidly in this manner.' Now consider what the dictionary says about jogging: 'To move up and down or to and fro with a heavy unsteady motion; to move on at a heavy or labored pace, to trudge.' Is that the kind of activity you see yourself doing? No. You don't jog - you run. It doesn't matter how fast, how far, or how often you run, if you're moving faster than you would if you were walking, you are a runner. Not all (people) believe this about themselves, however."
~ "The Complete Book of Running for Women" by Claire Kowalchik

Be proud of your accomplishments - even if you think they are small or insignifiant compared to others. You are awesome! And if you're starting a running program - own the fact that you're a runner! Stay strong, folks! :o)

Replies

• ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    This is what I needed! Thanks~ :heart:
  • Rainforst
    Rainforst Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am a runner as well, a slow runner but non the less, I ran my first 5K this weekend, I did it in 42 min.
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    I am a runner as well, a slow runner but non the less, I ran my first 5K this weekend, I did it in 42 min.

That's fantastic! Great work! Welcome to the runner's club! :happy:
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you.
  • catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great post... thanks

I read this book when I started running 12 years ago, it was invaluable to me during the "learn to run" phase.
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you so much. I am a fairly new runner. I am a runner :) wow feels great to say.
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for that. I have just started Running (yay) Never thought i would or could, but recently started and getting better, such a great feeling, Plus my Dog thinks it's the best thing :)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that! I needed that push this week.

I have been really beating myself up the last few weeks. I am part of a running clinic where all the ladies are in their late 40's - 60's...and I am the youngest (by 15-30 years!!!) and the slowest. It is quite frustrating actually to always be the last one over the finish line...lol
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I needed this post!! Thanks so much. I have recently taken up running and I often feel frustrated that I can't go "fast". But in any event, you are right, I am still running!! Thanks again for this!!
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love being a runner!
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

The speed does not matter! I read this and want to share it with you:

"What does it mean to be a runner? Simply that you run. 'To move legs quickly,' says the Oxford English Dictionary. '(the one foot being lifted before the other is set down) so as to go at a faster pace than walking; to cover ground, make one's way, rapidly in this manner.' Now consider what the dictionary says about jogging: 'To move up and down or to and fro with a heavy unsteady motion; to move on at a heavy or labored pace, to trudge.' Is that the kind of activity you see yourself doing? No. You don't jog - you run. It doesn't matter how fast, how far, or how often you run, if you're moving faster than you would if you were walking, you are a runner. Not all (people) believe this about themselves, however."
    ~ "The Complete Book of Running for Women" by Claire Kowalchik

Stealing! :-)
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I'm still slow and sometimes dont consider myself a runner, even though I should since I've finished a half marathon, which is a feat at any speed.

Great post!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That's a beautiful quote. I love it!

I jog across the street to rent something from Redbox. But when I'm exercising, I'm running.
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I read that book when I started running years ago. It is a wonderful book...and she is absolutely right, you aren't "jogging" you are running. My husband also told me something helpful years ago...I had run my first 5K and it took 45 min...I was bummed that it took so long and I whined to him about the time...he said "Uh you were faster than 90% of the population...they were on the sofa while you were out doing it" That is the truth friends... you are out there getting it done while everyone else is on the sofa...remember that
  • jenbison
    jenbison Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks for this. Just recently I have began to run on a treadmill, but I track it as jogging. Your definition for what I do is much better than what the dictionarys definition is for jogging. I'm gonna change my words for my tracking.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    LOVE it! I've always had that mentality. Thank goodness I'm not insane. :laugh:

When I'd run, I always said to myself, "I'm RUNNING!"
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Great post!! I just did my first 2 miles today,without stopping, and loved it!!
  • TriTigress
    Options
    Thank you so much for that post!! LOVED IT!!
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I never in a million years imagined that I'd be a runner. I am relishing the fact that I am! Thank you for the inspirational words. :love: :flowerforyou: