You are a Runner, NOT a Jogger!

Options

Replies

• MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I am a runner as well, a slow runner but non the less, I ran my first 5K this weekend, I did it in 42 min.

YAY!! congrats to you!!
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I still can't bring myself to say "I'm a runner" but I'm getting closer.
    Ran my first race today, 8km in 47:51. I guess I do qualify. :-) ok... I'm a runner!!!!
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    wow thanks so much i needed that..
  • caitlinlws
    caitlinlws Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    love this, and wanted to share my personal favorite quote about running:

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I needed this :heart:

I am a Big girl (for the moment) and I understand that but I was talking to a friend this week about getting back to C25K program after an injury. He said your not a runner. I was a bit shocked and said well I jog down the hills and brisk walk up the hills. He replied determined this time, You are not a Runner or a Jogger. You just walk fast. I was a bit hurt and quickly ended the coversation.

My New Goal is to be able to complete the C25K program by the end of summer.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this topic!!! I couldn't stand it when somebody referred to me (or anybody else) as a "jogger." It makes me think of the 1970s with all the "jogging suits!" Velour, no less!
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I love that! Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • applekoko19
    applekoko19 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am a runner!!! :)
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this OP - I guess I can stop saying "I'm trying to be a runner" now
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    love this, and wanted to share my personal favorite quote about running:

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

I love this quote and the original poster's quote!

I really need to hear this. Lately I'm working myself back into running after dealing with a few years worth of injuries and its not going to quickly. I'm not trying to set any records, but now I know I can still say... I AM A RUNNER!!!!
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This post really speaks to me!! I ran my first 5K last weekend and..... well, ... I know it's just 3 m to some but to me it was a big deal. I had a mini breakdown the night before the race. I didn't think I would be able to do it. My lack of self confidence really got the best of me. Yet, the next day, I was determined to stay postitive no matter what! And I ran the whole thing and completed it in 34 mins.

I did the race with my neice who is also new to running and after we finished she just kept saying "I feel proud". Those words have been bouncing around in my head ever since. I too feel proud. :)
  • mewdds
    mewdds Posts: 22
    Options
    I was adamant that I was not going to run when I started this journey 8months ago. My knees are bad, my feet hurt and frankly I never believed I could do it. My trainer told me to start because of the great calorie burn...I said NO WAY! I'll do squats til the cows come home but I AM NOT A RUNNER! Some of the weight started to come off and a charity event had a 5K, so on a whim I decided to do it. I ran once with a heart rate monitor....then did the 5K. I actually ran the whole way in 20 degree weather and FINISHED! (ran slow...very slow...but I RAN) What a huge NSV for me. 4 months later I hit the road once or twice a week and it's the highlight of my weekly cardio. Until I read your post..."I ran". After I read it..."I am a RUNNER". WOO HOO! What a mental road block I had set up and am so thrilled to say I have hurdled over it. THANK YOU!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Humans have 2 modes of locomotion; walking - one foot is always in contact with the ground & running - at some point (no matter how briefly) both feet are off the ground. There is no "jogging", I'm a runner and it seems I have lots of company here!:happy:
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter how slow you run, you are still lapping everyone on the couch!!!
  • prettythinlove
    Options
    It really doesn't matter how slow you run, you are still lapping everyone on the couch!!!
  • prettythinlove
    Options
    WASN'T A TECH PROBLEM, I REPEATED IT BECAUSE I WANT IT TO STICK IN EVERYONE'S MIND!!!

<3
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am a runner as well, a slow runner but non the less, I ran my first 5K this weekend, I did it in 42 min.

Great job! Me too! But I was a bit slower (57 min at 300 lbs). I tell people I run like a turtle... and I'm ok with that :) I'll get faster.
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options

Be proud of your accomplishments - even if you think they are small or insignifiant compared to others. You are awesome! And if you're starting a running program - own the fact that you're a runner! Stay strong, folks! :o)

well said
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but I like your post. Actually I wanted to start running but unfortunately I'm not really good at endurance activities because aside from my body gets sore easily, I have more slow-twitch muscle fibers which is why it seems that my body isn't built for endurance activities. But after reading your post, it refreshes my desire to try out running, even if its just for exercise.
  • shibainugal
    shibainugal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Great post!