You are a Runner, NOT a Jogger!

Options

Replies

• 5ladybugs
    5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Amen! I've been running for 3 years. I'm still chubby because I really like to eat. ;) I couldn't call myself a runner for the longest time for a few reasons...1. I run/walk. I run 5 minutes and then walk 1...always. It really helps me with endurance. You can be a runner even if you take walking breaks. 2. I'm slow, and I felt like I couldn't call myself a runner because I was slow, even after I ran a marathon last year. I have decided that if I'm running several times a week (at any pace) I'm a runner. I'm currently training for my second marathon, and I'm getting faster. Still slow, but faster.

Any new runners out there that feel like it's torture, hang in there. Alternate walking and run if you want to. You can do it. It took me about 2 years to be able to say that I like it, but after 5 half marathons, a few 10k's, and a full marathon...I'M A RUNNER and I LOVE it!
    Thank you!!!! To know someone walks throughout makes me feel so much better. Knowing you've done marathons and it's ok to stop for a minute here and there makes me feel so excited! Not sure why! But I just wanted you to know!
  • dalh
    dalh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Love this!!!! Thanks for sharing
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I needed this!
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thank you <3. I "jogged" 2 city blocks today, HUGE accomplishment for me, and downplayed it to myself. I needed to hear this ;)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Yes! I just realized today I am in fact a runner, did my first under 10 minute mile. Looking into a 5k to do sometime this coming fall.
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yay--I needed this too! I think I really am a runner... :)
  • kiranicsmom
    kiranicsmom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right!!! We do tend to down play our accomplishments. I started running 2 years ago when I was 39. I hadn't run since high school. I still tend to say that I am jogging or "wogging". I am not the fastest person running but I am also not the slowest. I need to remember that I am a runner!

I needed this post especially after struggling with my run today!
  • millerhillbabe
    Options
    recently begain a speed war with a friend we cannot hold it for long but we can still out run eveyone on the couch! :love:
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Options
    I read every post on this thread. I love the ideas. I used to run daily for years, and the people who were out smoking cigarettes in the parking lot would yell "jogging is bad for your knees." I also have a colleague who is older than me (I am 59) and he always seems to "correct" me when I say I "ran" and he says what I said again strategically replacing my "run" with "Jog." He is in very good shape for late 60's, and bicycles voraciously. Over the years he has said stupid things to me like "I don't like jogging, I can't get my HR very high." I think "run a 6 minute pace up that mountain trail and see how high your heart rate gets." Because he is older I don't bother. It seems that some people use "jogging" as a way of discrediting the accomplishment of running. Thanks for the topic, it obviously resonated with a lot of us.
  • lgstone
    lgstone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with being a jogger? The term has been used since the 1500's to mean an easy-gaited run, which is what I do. I don't see what's so demeaning to self-esteem about being a jogger. If my self-esteem is so messed up that "jogging" seems demeaning, maybe I have more self-esteem problems than terminology shifts can solve?

Proud to be a jogger, hell, I'm proud to be a WALKER!
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Thank you, this was nice to hear. When I talk to people at work I often use the term jog because I feel I go so slow. This weekend I ran 4 miles outside for the first time ever without walking in 39 mins. I don't think I will use the word jog anymore. I feel it takes away some of the pride I felt while accomplishing one of my biggest fitness goals.
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am a runner as well, a slow runner but non the less, I ran my first 5K this weekend, I did it in 42 min.

Congrats on your first 5k!
  • whutzup1
    whutzup1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    :smile: Awesome post.. Thank you!
  • SarLem81
    SarLem81 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I've always called what I do more jogging than running because my activity-indused asthma keeps me at a slower pace, even with my inhaler. But I feel stupid calling it jogging because for my body, it feels like running. Great to hear that it really is running. :-D
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Not a runner, not a jogger, but a hopeful. I am now 19 days post hysterectomy surgery and my ultimate goal is to become a runner before the end of summer...My doctor is set to possibly release me on the 6th of April and when he gives me the OKAY to start exercising I will be striving for that goal...I know it will take time and I intend to start slow and steady but I really want to do at least one 5K this season (before October!!). If anyone has any tips, please share! Thanks and thanks to original author of this thread! You have spoken a mouthful of motivation for the runners and wannabees on MFP!! You are a gem!
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    As a new runner, I love this post. Thanks!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, it's an inspiring quote. I still have a hard time admitting that I am a runner. Yeah I'm slower than most, but I just got up to doing 9 miles without stopping! I am organizing the corporate challenge race for my office and I was worried about showing everyone in my office my running skills, but at least we're out there! Best of luck to everyone out there hoping to improve
  • kimdrobison
    Options
    I'm so glad! I LOVE the run/walk! Love it! I try to convert everyone. ;)
  • Erika_Ecka
    Erika_Ecka Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanx girl! Your so inspirational. :) I'm buliding up for running soon.. hopefully these up-coming months. :) I'm lucky to have you as one of my MFP friends!! yayyyy!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thank you, OP.... I needed to see that! I'm not fast, but I can run a 5K. My son says it's too slow to consider it running, it's jogging. But to me- I was running!