How to avoid looking older after weight loss??

Options
I have lost 50 pounds so far (about 2.5 pounds per week), and am a 55 year old female. I look so much older now! Lots more wrinkles and areas of really lose skin. I have an excellent exercise and weight lifting program that I am following. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can prevent this aging look to worsen as I continue to lose weight? I feel so much better, until I look in the mirror, and I still need to lose more weight (per my doctor). Not interested in plastic surgery! I am also getting good nutrition and plenty of protein, water, etc. THANK YOU!

Replies

• BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Drink tons of water.. it keeps your skin/body hydrated. I use a good lotion; especially on the face, neck and chest where the skin is thinnest. Also try getting facials at the spa for a fresh look.

Hope it gets better :) but I am sure you are your own worst judge.
  • par57
    par57 Posts: 74
    Options
    What lotion do you use?
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    coconut oil makes a great lotion, maybe that will help? It makes my skin look more clear. Also, tons of water will help! Other than that, I'm out of advice
  • par57
    Options
    I will try the coconut oil, thanks! I am just SO FRUSTRATED and so angry with myself for letting myself get out of control these past few decades. I am really paying for it now.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You might also want to try bio oil. I've found that it greatly improves the overall condition of the skin, including evening out my skin tone.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    First off, CONGRATULATIONS on losing so much weight!

Second, read through the Success Stories - everyone looks about 10 years younger, whatever their age, so I bet it's not nearly as bad as you think!

I bet with a gentle exfoliator, a decent firming moisturising (with sunscreen!) and time, everything will slip back into place. Treat it from the inside with good fats too - get some avocado, oily fish, nuts and olive oil in your diet.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, though I am only 34, and I haven't found anything that works yet. I think sun screen when younger would have been the key!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds so far (about 2.5 pounds per week), and am a 55 year old female. I look so much older now! Lots more wrinkles and areas of really lose skin. I have an excellent exercise and weight lifting program that I am following. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can prevent this aging look to worsen as I continue to lose weight? I feel so much better, until I look in the mirror, and I still need to lose more weight (per my doctor). Not interested in plastic surgery! I am also getting good nutrition and plenty of protein, water, etc. THANK YOU!

2.5 lbs a week is really fast weight lose. I don't know if you slowed it down a little it may help. The only think that I know of is to lift heavier and build muscle to fill out the wrinkles. I guess we can't really do a lot with the ones on our face. Good Luck.
  • grumpya
    grumpya Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    buy the best quality face cream you can afford without going without. I know there are some out there that are stupid money but I mean from the sort you get in department stores or good quality chemists (drugstores) I use Lancome. Take the sales girls advice she can see your skin type & be honest about your age with her.
    Drink plenty of water
    Exfoliate
    Get plenty of vit c, from fruit or juice if poss but otherwise supplements will do. Vitamin C repairs the skin & speeds healing, this makes the skin look fresher & younger.
    Don't forget your eyes, a good eyecream really helps & check out your makeup, your skin may have changed & you might need a different type or brand
    Hands need love too. They give your age away so treat them to a handcream for mature skin it is totally different from the ones that just moisturise.
    Good luck - remember we are our own harshest critics, you probably look way better than you think
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Laser skin tightening works wonders. Botox too. Those aren't plastic surgery, cost under $500 each, and make a huge difference.
  • par57
    Options
    Awesome suggestions; thank you!
  • lfoster57
    lfoster57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that loss a lot of weight and at first he looked older but as his body adjusted to the weight loss, he now looks absolutely fantastic. I think you are being hard on yourself. Keep up the good work and I can't wait until I can post that I loss 50+ pounds. I am inspired.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sadly, when you lose weight especially after 45 or so, your face is going to start to lose volume from natural aging and weight loss.
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I made a post last week because I'm starting to get bat wings (no wrinkles so far). The response was that it was inevitable. Not willing to believe I was powerless, I did internet research. These items pretty much everyone agrees on.

1. Diet at a healthy pace. Crash dieting that causes rapid weight loss is a main cause of loose skin. Avoid crash diets and focus on losing no more than 2 pounds per week.

2. Eat a nutrient rich diet. A diet rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, proteins, and omega-3 fatty acids will improve your skin’s elasticity and overall health. Avoid foods processed with chemicals to give them a long shelf life. Stick to a diet rich in whole foods.

3. Make sure you get enough high quality protein in your diet. This help prevents the loss of lean muscle mass and is needed for the muscle you are building.

4. Take a multivitamin. Making sure your body has all the nutrients it needs to repair and nourish itself is an important part of skin health.

5. Hydrate your skin by drinking plenty of water. Hydrated, healthy skin can bounce back into shape easier. Water is also important for a body's functions, including skin repair. Try to drink at least 1 liter of water a day. Avoid carbonated drinks that strip your body of calcium and other vitamins and minerals.

6. Exercise!. Exercise! Exercise builds muscle and muscle acts as a support system for skin.

Building muscle is an important part of loose skin prevention. You want the muscle to take the place of the fat that is being lost to prevent too much sagging skin.

7. Exfoliate your skin daily and use an intensive moisturizer twice a day. This will encourage elasticity and circulation to help tighten your skin.
  • par57
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH for posting these amazing suggestions. I will work on ALL of them! You are all such a wealth of information and very considerate to share your experiences and ideas.
  • par57
    Options
    Has anyone tried the laser skin tightening that "summertime" suggested (above)?
  • ocylott
    ocylott Posts: 31
    Options
    It won't help right away, but loose skin does slowly regain some of its shape over time. If you've lost a lot of weight over a short time or had a baby, it might take a few months but your skin does tighten up a bit, especially if you're already living healthy.
  • par57
    Options
    Now THAT is what I needed to hear! :happy:
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I know it may sound funny. but google happy face yoga, my mother in law and my mother are both doing it and it is really helping with their wrinkles and smoothness of their faces. You can also look up face yoga on youtube and if you can find the one's with a blonde lady (i know that's not much help) but she has a few that are pretty good. Hope that may help. :)