How to avoid looking older after weight loss??

Options

Replies

• kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    In general, I think most people look much younger after losing weight. They usually start wearing nicer clothes, pay more attention to hair and makeup, and have a more cheerful attitude which all make someone attractive. However, I also believe that as you get older losing weight can make your SKIN (not your general appearance) look older because the fat was plumping up the wrinkles. If you watch The Biggest Loser you can see that Kim (IMO) looks older in the face than she did before because of the sagging skin. There are also some celebrities that look older after losing a lot of weight (Star Jones a few year ago) but it does seem to get better with time. Try to focus on the other things and nobody will notice your skin but you. :) Congrats on losing the weight and getting healthy!
  • par57
    par57 Posts: 74
    Options
    Getting that coconut oil today! THANK YOU :)
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fruitloops313
    fruitloops313 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I also have to vote for the coconut oil. I have seen a tremendous difference and use it as a daily moisturizer all over
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    Oil of Olay has great products that are not too pricey.
  • jennifox63
    jennifox63 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You are losing weight a little fast. Lose it slower and dry brush your skin before you bathe/shower. Moisturize. Drink lots of water. Quit smoking if you are a smoker. No tanning. Maybe try natural soaps/lotions instead of chemical laden soaps/lotions like Chagrin Valley or Lush.
  • michele121212
    michele121212 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of great advice here! IMO the top 3 points are
    1] Hydration - exfoliate and moisturize every day
    2] Strength training to build muscle and support the skin
    3] Patience - Your body is going through an enormous transformation and it will take time to adjust.
    I particularly appreciated what one person said about her friend who looked hagard and awful about half way through the process but a year later [after giving the body time to adjust] looked fantastic!

Just keep up the good work and believe in your body's power to heal itself with proper nutrition, exercise, and rest:)
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Im only 32 and i never had a facial wrinkle...Lost about 40 of my 80 and i started to notice a few little fine lines around the eye...now that i have lost all 80lbs..i def have a few facial wrinklles...but, all in all...i will take my healthy weight anyday and live with the few little wrinkles...i just hope this is all it will be...until the old age ones set in!! lol Years and years from now of course! I have used a lot of different creams..and i am pretty sure they are not going anywhere! lol Has anyone ever tries that olay 7 signs of aging cream?? I was thinking of trying it.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but Lancôme 'Génifique' sounds really good. Also, as others said, make sure you are eating plenty of fruits and veggies and drinking plenty of water. You might want to try drinking green smoothies, I tried it once and got compliments on my skin from strangers that same day. But the recipe should be halved if you ask me, it was a huge amount.

Snyder shared with SHAPE the recipe for her "Glowing Green Smoothie," the go-to beauty drink for Barrymore, Olivia Wilde and Jenna Dewan (not to mention Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn!). "Every time I work on a movie set, the whole cast starts to drink it," she says. "It's a ton of nutrients, condensed and blended into a juice so your body doesn't waste energy breaking it down. The vitamins, minerals and amino acids will flow right into your system to rejuvenate you. And it's full of fiber, so you're not reaching for that bagel or that second cup of coffee between meals." Give the egg-white omelet routine a break, and try this instead for breakfast.

Kimberly Snyder’s Glowing Green Smoothie

Ingredients
    -1 1/2 cups water

-1 head organic romaine lettuce, chopped
    -3-4 stalks organic celery

-1/2 head of a large bunch, or 3/4 of a small bunch of spinach
    -1 organic apple, cored and chopped
    -1 organic pear, cored and chopped
    -1 organic banana

-Juice of 1/2 fresh organic lemon

Optional
    -1/3 bunch organic cilantro (stems okay)

-1/3 bunch organic parsley (stems okay)

Directions

Add the water and chopped head of romaine to the blender. Starting the blender at low speed, mix until smoothi. Gradually moving to higher speeds, add the celery, apple and pear. Add the cilantro and parsley, if you are choosing to add them. Add the banana and lemon juice last.

The fruit and lemon cut right though the grass taste. Feel free to mix and match different greens and fruits, as these two specific food groups combine well.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, and it might not be a bad idea to go to a derm and get a prescriotion for retinA. I have one and it is rather expensive, but it is way worth it.
  • KJLIII
    KJLIII Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have found (after years of experimenting on myself) that the very VERY best thing for my skin has been Olive Oil. I get the Extra virgin kind, doesn't matter what brand, and put a little into the lotion I use to cover up the scent. (I don't really like the smell of olive oil !!!) When I was 20, I got married, and shortly after got pregnant with our first child. Someone told me to try putting some olive oil on my skin to avoid stretch marks. I did it faithfully every day. I didn't have any stretch marks AT ALL. I initially thought it was a fluke, or maybe just my genetics, or something OTHER than the olive oil. So when I got pregnant with our 2nd child, I just used some different products that someone had given me... I ended up GETTING STRETCH MARKS ! ! When I noticed them, I was shocked, and promptly went back to using olive oil. (So much for the genetic theory! hehehe) Well, they have since faded, and are not very noticeable (thank goodness!), and I'm happily adding olive oil to my lotion. I believe it has helped with skin elasticity, and has helped my skin repair itself. I have to say that it helps my skin retain moisture for longer periods, and I believe that helps tremendously. You might want to try it for a bit...

Hope that helps you ! ! It certainly has helped me ! !

:flowerforyou:
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great suggestions on this thread!

I believe that you should exfoliate your skin regularly and use moisturizer EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. All over the body.
    And obviously, hydrate well daily.

I bet you will notice your skin firming up a bit with your lifting soon.
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    you've been given lots of great suggestions here but I'd like to add to it. Go get a new haircut. Try a new style and maybe some highlights and then a few new pieces for your wardrobe. You don't need to buy too much if you are still on your way down to your goal weight but new clothes with a new cut and a little make up will make you feel better about how you look and that will go a long way towards making you look and seem younger.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil on my face as well but haven't noticed any miraculous results. I do like how it feels and don't think it has made my breakouts any worse, which is a plus, but it also doesn't have sunscreen. I truly believe that you need a product with spf in it for daytime use (and not just your makeup, especially if you are outside for any period of time). At night I use ROC retinol products and really like them. I have had undereye lines for years now (I am almost 37 but very fair skinned and didn't always use adequate sun protection) and actually think I am seeing results from the ROC products (I think mine is called multi-correction lft). ROC products as well as the Olay Regenerist line get good reviews. I use the Regenerist day cream with spf during winter (something with higher spf in summer).
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    bump
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I make sure to stay hydrated, moisturize my skin and I dry brush my entire body every morning.

1. Dry brushing cleans the lymphatic system. Lymph is considered part of our immune system and is made of white blood cells called lymphocytes and the interstitial fluid that bathe our cells, bringing our cells nutrients and removing their waste. All detoxification occurs first and foremost through the lymph. Our bodies contain far more lymph than blood, so you can see how important this might be.

2. Dry brushing removes dead skin layers. Dry skin brushing helps shed dead skin cells, which can help improve skin texture and cell renewal. Dry skin is a sign of detoxification. Therefore it’s good to keep the process going by removing the dead skin daily. If this does not occur, a “log jam” can happen where the person ends up with eczema, psoriasis, and dandruff.

3. Dry brushing strengthens the immune system. Dry skin brushing may reduce duration of infection and accelerate the clearing of toxins. It helps support the immune system during cancer and other chronic illness treatment. By stimulating the lymph vessels to drain toxic mucoid matter into organs of detoxification we can purify the entire system. After several days of dry brushing, sometimes you may notice a gelatinous mucoid material in your stools. This is a normal sign that the intestinal tract is renewing itself. Best of all, it feels invigorating!

4. Dry brushing stimulates the hormone and oil glands, thus helping all of the body systems perform at peak efficiency. The skin is your body's largest organ. When improperly maintained, the elimination duties of the skin are forced upon the kidneys. So, give your kidneys a break—keep your skin clean and rejuvenated. Bathe daily and do a dry brushing before the bath to help stimulate blood flow to the surface so that toxins can more easily escape.

6. Dry Brushing tightens the skin by increasing the flow of blood which, in turn moves toxins and lessens the appearance of cellulite. Our bodies make a new top layer of skin every 24 hours - skin brushing removes the old top layer, allowing the clean new layer to come to the surface, resulting in softer, smoother skin.

7. Dry Brushing tones the muscles. Dry skin brushing helps muscle tone by stimulating the nerve endings which causes the individual muscle fibers to activate and move. It also helps mobilize fat and helps to even distribution of fat deposits. This is a great technique for invalids who can’t exercise.

8. Dry brushing stimulates circulation. Our skin breathes! And yet, in most people, this vital route of detoxification is operating far below its capacity, because it is clogged with dead skin cells and the un-removed waste excreted through perspiration. Dry skin brushing increases circulation to skin, encouraging your body’s discharge of metabolic wastes. Increased blood flow begins entering the areas brushed and you will experience an increase in electromagnetic energy that permits you to feel energized and invigorated. By activating the circulation you can also prevent varicose veins.

9. Helps digestion -- Dry skin brushing helps your skin to absorb nutrients by eliminating clogged pores. Healthy, breathing skin contributes to overall body health. When you brush, the pores of your skin open allowing your skin to absorb nutrients and eliminate toxins. Clogged pores are not just a cosmetic concern. Healthy, breathing skin contributes to overall body health.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    I know it may sound funny. but google happy face yoga, my mother in law and my mother are both doing it and it is really helping with their wrinkles and smoothness of their faces. You can also look up face yoga on youtube and if you can find the one's with a blonde lady (i know that's not much help) but she has a few that are pretty good. Hope that may help. :)

This. Also look for isometric facial exercises. They help quite a bit by building the muscle tone in your face.
  • irisheyes42us
    irisheyes42us Posts: 144
    Options
    Arbonne International Has a really great skin care line~ and it is all natural. Pricey, but worth it. I especially love the the eye cream, it works for tightening wrinkles :) Deb:flowerforyou:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat - fat is good for you (at least saturated and MUFAs are, not the PUFA's - those are dangerous is large amounts). Make some bone broth. The collagen in the bones will get into the broth and that's some good stuff for tightening skin. Use the broth for soups. Good bone broth for joints? Cook the bones of the joints (like the knee joint).

I also invested in some unflavored beef collagen from NOW brand (on Amazon). I've been trying to get some every day. I notice when I do my eyelids seem to smooth out some (they're a bit crepe-y).

But I can't seem to get into the habit of taking it daily.