How to avoid looking older after weight loss??

Options

Replies

• pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    What's funny to me is that everyone looks a good 20 years younger in their after pics on MFP, no exceptions! In most side-by-side photos the before person looks like the mother/father of the after person. I don't see it in myself, but I see it in everyone else.

IMO most Lancome products are fabulous, but as a soon-to-be retired person I'm balking at paying for them. I buy just enough of something at the Lancome counter to get the free beauty products when they offer samples of their skin care line - I've been using them for months now, lol! A good compromise are the Borghese products at Costco. Much more reasonably priced, and almost as high in quality.

I also love coconut oil and Moroccan oil, I've noticed a big difference. Try idly rubbing coconut oil on those scaly dry legs and feet, also hair, while watching "Mad Men" on Sunday night. It'll soak in and you'll feel so smooth on Monday morning :)

Nothing except drastic medical procedures can give drastic results, but we can stall off the inevitable and even look a bit better if we start taking care of ourselves NOW. I too was an outdoorsy girl, didn't always protect my skin, and have lost a lot of weight. Hindsight and all that...I'm aiming for FLOTUS arms, wish me luck, lol.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I too have lost 50 pounds. In about 9 months. Now I am on maintance. I also have the loose skin, but I read that it sometimes takes 1-2 yrs for your skin to catch up with your weight loss. I'm sure that we are our worst critics. my husband tells me it is getting better(I don't see it) so i guess i will believe him. Just give yourself some time and keep working with weights. Good luck. and pleas feel free to add me as a friend.

^^THIS.

Looking younger than my age isn't a huge goal of mine. Chasing that goal tends to frustrate and disappoint people, ultimately. Now trying to demonstrate robust good health at any age: THAT, I can get behind.

I have lost weight in the past, and have seen some improvements in skin quality over the first couple of years of maintenance. So, waiting a year or so before seeking out treatment may be advisable. The sun is your worst enemy no matter what your weight. I used to have a deep frown furrow between my eyes, which is mostly gone since I started wearing big sun glasses (less sun and less squinting).

I also notice that making a lot of choices which favor high antioxidants helps: hibiscus tea, stevia-sweetened hot chocolate, plus fruits and veggies help. Also, make sure you have a reliable source of omega 3's: chia or flax seed, and walnuts, to name a few.
  • LucyvdPelt
    LucyvdPelt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    beautiful skin doesn´t only come from the outside - skincare is doing only half of the job.

water was mentioned a lot already and a hight value fet diet: especially nuts, avocados and salmon

for loose body skin swimming and yoga is excellent - an old beauty secret is using a brush with natural bristles - use it before your shower - it increases bloood circulation under the skin and therefore improves your skin - a re-moistorizing face peeling once a week is very good too - i use lancome one but recently stared to switch to l´occidane skincare - this stuff is really amazing many of my firends are sworn into kiel´s.
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I'm so glad you asked as it helps me to think of my current situation. I have approx 100 lbs that I want to lose so loose skin is definitely a concern of mine but also pertaining to the wrinkling...I began doing traffic control as a flagger for paving companies, etc. I noticed from being in the sun and wind my face, neck and top chest area show wrinkling. So all the lotion suggestions, being hydrated, etc...were also beneficial to me as well.
  • par57
    par57 Posts: 74
    Options
    Thank you so much for the warning, I really appreciate it.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Bump! Similar age, same problem! Thanks for posting!
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Give yourself an egg white mask. Egg Whites have collagen and helps with the facial wrinkles.
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    buy the best quality face cream you can afford without going without. I know there are some out there that are stupid money but I mean from the sort you get in department stores or good quality chemists (drugstores) I use Lancome. Take the sales girls advice she can see your skin type & be honest about your age with her.
    Drink plenty of water
    Exfoliate
    Get plenty of vit c, from fruit or juice if poss but otherwise supplements will do. Vitamin C repairs the skin & speeds healing, this makes the skin look fresher & younger.
    Don't forget your eyes, a good eyecream really helps & check out your makeup, your skin may have changed & you might need a different type or brand
    Hands need love too. They give your age away so treat them to a handcream for mature skin it is totally different from the ones that just moisturise.
    Good luck - remember we are our own harshest critics, you probably look way better than you think

Agree^^
  • babigurl86
    babigurl86 Posts: 138
    Options
    its great that your drinking lots of water also moisturising daily with bio oil, Shea butter,cocoa butter or olive oil will help,no need to buy anything too expensive.:flowerforyou:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVGrXdsZJBM :happy:
  • Travelfixer
    Travelfixer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've heard red light theory is great, I'm going to t it when I come back fom vacation. Google it, good luck
  • Travelfixer
    Options
    I've heard red light theory is great, I'm going to t it when I come back fom vacation. Google it, good luck

Tht was meant to read THERAPY
  • Travelfixer
    Options
    Hang out with Seniors?

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Only a male would make that comment
  • mtcHavingItAll
    mtcHavingItAll Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • par57
    Options
    @raevynn What is the MSM that you refer to putting in your water bottles? Thanks!
  • NetteH13
    NetteH13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good skin care is key!! Your worst enemy can be the SUN!! Be sure to wear sunscreen. Its so important. The sun can fry your skin, and dry, sun damaged skin can look old. I agree with one of the above post, you're probably your worst judge. Us women usually are, haha! Sunscreen, moisturizer, and water water water. Try visiting a dermatologist if you can also. I'm sure you could get great advice and help from them. Good luck!
  • par57
    Options
    Suggestions for the best Oil of Olay products? There are so many now!
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mel128
    mel128 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I use a handy face machine which it helps to firm / lift my face and minimize wrinkles with quality firming cream. People always say I look 8 years younger than my real age.
  • par57
    Options
    I just started taking Collagen pills by Nature's Bounty. Has anyone tried these?
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm another one to ditto the coconut oil. My 56 year old sister posted a new Facebook profile picture and she looked noticebly younger, glowing and even refreshed. I asked her what her secret was and she said that she started using Organic Coconut oil on her face. While shopping at Trader Joes I picked some up and have used it for about a week. All of my adult acne is gone and my skin is wonderfly supple and moisturized without feeling greasy. I can't get enough of this stuff, and it smells soooo good! My next step is to apply it everynight before bed.