How to avoid looking older after weight loss??

Options

Replies

• yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for posting... bump!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Someone once told me about dieting when you get middle-aged; "You have a choice, your figure or your face". How true. Sorry, no suggestions.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. I hope the OP sees some results, but in the end the weight loss is for health and you've done a fantastic job! Celebrate it :)
  • illecl
    illecl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My face was looking thin for a while, but after a few months it filled out and my waist got a little smaller. Weird. But great. I've read that your body distributes it according to your body's shape (genetically). Which is why spot reduction is usually a waste of time.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Second, read through the Success Stories - everyone looks about 10 years younger, whatever their age, so I bet it's not nearly as bad as you think!

I noticed this too.

I don' t know how fast you are losing, but it may take a bit for your skin to catch up.
  • LisaManySongs
    Options
    bump
  • perpetuallyfit
    perpetuallyfit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I will try the coconut oil, thanks! I am just SO FRUSTRATED and so angry with myself for letting myself get out of control these past few decades. I am really paying for it now.
    I am facing similar problems! :( I have got so many wrinkles on my face and neck!! Although I look younger body wise I am looking older face wise!! And I still have to lose about 60 lbs more!! I am so angry for letting myself go all these years. I might consider botox if I get too desperate!! :D Coconut oil sounds good. I might give myself a facial tonight!!
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The fat in your face is what gives you a youthful appearance, after rapid weight loss or just through normal aging you lose some of that fat, which is why procedures like botox are so popular.

^This. Literally every magazine I've ever read that talks about aging addresses the fact that having a fuller face when older is what keeps you looking youthful. Look at someone like Nigella Lawson for example. Granted, we should all take what magazines say with a grain of salt, but there is truth to it when you compare people's faces. I don't think that means everything is hopeless, but it's something to consider.
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 50. Last year I lost 80 + pounds and I have recently had a several-months-long plateau. I am definitely STILL seeing changes as my body adjusts. My advice is to EXCERCISE and don't ignore strength training...those muscles provide definition! Water helps keep skin healthy, as does proper nutrition! I've tried plenty of lotions, but some time ago someone told me to try cocoa butter. A $2 , 32 oz bottle of cocoa butter lotion has worked better than anything I've ever done. Go figure! And I agree with all who say you're probably being harder on yourself than you deserve. Being healthy and fit and looking my age beats looking young and obese and feeling lousy all the time! That's my 2 cents!!!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Thanks; making a dermatology appt today :)

You'd be better to avoid the Retin-A, it messed up my skin something terrible. It made me get all flaky, dry, red, irritated, and my skin never did go back to normal. It still has a tendency to get irritated and dry. It was NEVER like that before I used the Retin-A.
  • kiakat77
    kiakat77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try morroco oil. Make sure you get an organic version. I've recently read excellent reviews on this product. It can make you look younger, make scars and stretch marks dissappear.
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Joan Rivers used to say that the day came for every woman when she had to choose between her face and her a**:ohwell:
  • stephstar15
    stephstar15 Posts: 125
    Options
    coconut oil makes a great lotion, maybe that will help? It makes my skin look more clear. Also, tons of water will help! Other than that, I'm out of advice

That is so funny, I was going to suggest this as soon as I read the title of this post. Virgin Coconut Oil is THE BEST. I used to fight with eczema on my face...on awful place to have flaky skin:(

On the advise of a whole foods nutritionist, I started using straight virgin coconut oil (unrefined!!!) and in two day, I repeat two days, my skin has never look better!

And if it does not work for your skin, making it look younger, you can use it to cook with:) The only oil out there that can withstand very high cooking temperatures:)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Slow down. 2.5 lbs per week is super fast. Your skin is going to have a very hard time staying tight losing that fast. The older you get, the harder it is to get your skin to tighten when you drop weight, and the faster you drop it the worse it gets.

I'd change your goals to lose 1-1.5 lbs per week from here on out. Give your skin a chance to catch up with your body for a month or so.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    The more raw, fresh fruit and vegetables, the better.

At least one ounce of water for every 2lbs (or 1kg) you weigh, as well.

I also add MSM to my water bottles. It's supposed to help a lot with skin elasticity.

Oh, and I'm 51.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds so far (about 2.5 pounds per week), and am a 55 year old female. I look so much older now! Lots more wrinkles and areas of really lose skin. I have an excellent exercise and weight lifting program that I am following. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can prevent this aging look to worsen as I continue to lose weight? I feel so much better, until I look in the mirror, and I still need to lose more weight (per my doctor). Not interested in plastic surgery! I am also getting good nutrition and plenty of protein, water, etc. THANK YOU!
    I was having this problem too. I switched my skin products I was using on my face and it made a huge difference. The product line I am using now is KORRES love it! Changed a lot for me. Don't know if this is what yu were looking for but thought I would share.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I too have lost 50 pounds. In about 9 months. Now I am on maintance. I also have the loose skin, but I read that it sometimes takes 1-2 yrs for your skin to catch up with your weight loss. I'm sure that we are our worst critics. my husband tells me it is getting better(I don't see it) so i guess i will believe him. Just give yourself some time and keep working with weights. Good luck. and pleas feel free to add me as a friend.
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    YAY for losing so much weight!!! On top of drinking lots of water, and the weight training that you are already doing find you some vitamin E oil, and put it in your bath and just have a nice soak. Also try finding some lotion that has some type of collagen in it that will help firm up the skin. Beyond that all I can say is love yourself, wrinkles are signs of wisdom and proof that you have LIVED! Congrats on taking such great care of yourself and getting into better shape and health!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've lost 58 pounds so far, and haven't noticed a lot of wrinkling, but I didn't have many before I started as I've never smoked and don't tan. I've been losing about a pound a week, but I do have plateaus where I lose inches and then the weight drops after a couple weeks. I think its more important to put good quality things inside rather than trying to slather on a beauty product. Water is vital and cardio keeps the blood flow going, which feeds your skin.
  • serenitydmrb
    Options
    I have read some of the comments to your question. I was told that water makes the skin have more elastic effect and the skin in your face will tighten up as time goes by.Do not give up. I am 60 years old and I have been told I look 40. I have the same fears as you do. I don't want to be all wrinkley after I loose weight either. So I checked it out. Keep trying , Use the coconut butter Lotion .
    All the suggestions I read are good. Except theLazer . Good Luck and Keep trying