Is MyFitnessPal better than Facebook?

Options

Replies

• lightstruck1
    lightstruck1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    They are two totally different social medias. You can't really compare them.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Yes.

The people I have on my friend's list on facebook don't give a crap if I lose weight! Or if I eat healthy... etc .. etc.

MFP > FB
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I probably spend equal amounts of time on each. I use MFP primarily for staying motivated and because I like getting into the discussions on the message boards. Facebook has been a great way for me to get in touch with people I haven't seen in years, and it's easier to stay in touch with them and family members who live far off. Most of my MFP friends, I've never even met face to face.

Edited to add: I have linked my MFP and FB accounts so that, whatever I post on my MFP wall, shows up on my FB wall as well. I've had alot of positive feedback and support from my FB friends as a result.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    People are real on MFP. People on fb are fake so everybody will think they have a perfect life, fb is more of a bragging place. I don't have fb anymore, i like MFP way more!

There is quite a truth in this

If someone I know stumbled across my posts on here they would learn far more about the real me than fb
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    People are real on MFP. People on fb are fake so everybody will think they have a perfect life, fb is more of a bragging place. I don't have fb anymore, i like MFP way more!

I am so thankful for my family and friends. There is only truth in this if you surround yourself with people who behave that way.
  • Angela_Freeborn
    Options
    Im not a big facebook fan. but i love my MFP more then anything.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Both serve a purpose and I would argue that they aren't really comparable.
    -wtk

Agreed. If my FB friends made comments on my posts like some of the people do here in the forums, they wouldn't be my friend for long. But on here I expect a certain level of, shall we say, 'snarkiness', and I let it roll off my back and just move on.

Totally different set of friends.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    my current rankings Twitter>>>MFP>>>>>>>>>Facebook
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

My experience is just the opposite. But I use Facebook to connect with family and close friends who don't live nearby. I don't have any Facebook friends who I don't know IRL. I use MFP for calorie and weight tracking.
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Other than the fact that my work place doesn't block MFP (yet) where they do FB.... I would say they both serve different purposes... and thus have their own strengths and weaknesses.... Lately, I use both pretty equally.

My place of employment also blocks FB, but not MFP....for that I use MFP waaaaaay more!

It doesn't bother me any because I'm not getting requests to milk cows or fight the mafia on here, ha-ha!

^^^This! :happy:
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    This is way better than the FB, no nosy family.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

I am so thankful for my family and friends. There is only truth in this if you surround yourself with people who behave that way.

^^This, for the most part. However, as much as I love my family, there is ALWAYS SOMEBODY on FB who loves to stir the pot. I usually just ignore that kind of stuff. But sometimes you could say the same thing about MFP. Have you SEEN some of the topics on here? LOL :wink:
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I agree they both serve a purpose or are equal but different.

MFP isn't perfect but it absolutely serves a purpose that will almost certainly have a tangible impact on your life. It is highly customizable based on your needs and preferences. Even the level of peer pressure and obligation to stay involved in each of the social networking components is totally up to you.

FB takes on a life of it's own and your interaction or obligation as well as it's usefulness are all largely dependent on the people you know IRL. If you waste time here you'll probably be learning something new. That's much less likely on FB unless you happen to have ubercool friends. For most people the signal to noise ratio on FB is horrible and difficult to tweak. Maybe I'm just an old fart but if we're really friends you already have my cell and email. I'd also assume you know my likes and are not that interested in photos from my last vacation. Get off my lawn!!

It's nice to know FB can easily connect me to people from my past that live far away. But I have to admit I don't really get FB & only go on when I get an invite for something or a message forwarded to my email.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I use FB for the people I know in real life for the most part...my profile is private, and up until the other day I had my seetins so that no one could search for me either. I dont just add random people on FB, or have 500 friends, thats crap.

On here I dont know anyone personally, I chose the people I am friends with or they chose me, I still dont have alot on here either, I dont need alot.

Both are good, neither one is better.

MFP serves a purpose for health, fitness, weight loss and motivation and support.

FB is more social for friends and what not.

thats my opinion
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I like MyFitnessPal for tracking and being motivated for getting healthy. I like Facebook for keeping in touch with friends and family that live all over the United States.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    MFP is! People actually pay attention to your posts on here.

Shannon
  • rml_16
    Options
    I use FB for the people I know in real life for the most part...my profile is private, and up until the other day I had my seetins so that no one could search for me either. I dont just add random people on FB, or have 500 friends, thats crap.

On here I dont know anyone personally, I chose the people I am friends with or they chose me, I still dont have alot on here either, I dont need alot.

Both are good, neither one is better.

MFP serves a purpose for health, fitness, weight loss and motivation and support.

FB is more social for friends and what not.

thats my opinion

I love how people assume 500 friends means you add "just anybody."

Between my family members and friends I've accumulated over 35 years and living in four towns and having several jobs, I have about 500. I do have a few who I know only from message boards (for YEARS!), but otherwise, I know each and every one of them IRL.
  • m60kaf
    Options

You have 500 real regular friends on fb - And they are all totally genuine people

Congratulations - you must live in Stepford
  • rml_16
    Options

You have 500 real regular friends on fb - And they are all totally genuine people

Nope. I just apparently attract nice people.
  • m60kaf
    Options

Nope. I just apparently attract nice people.

Yeah that is actually the conclusion I drew - there is no way they can be - statistics say so

But, the fact you believe they are says something very positive about your outlook