Humor -Growing up without a Cell Phone

Options

Replies

• TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Rotary phones, reel to reel, super 8 home movies, transistor radio, manual typewriter, vinyl records, sitting at the record shop to hear the new tunes, running home by dusk, playing ball at the corner with all the neighborhood kids, meeting friends at the playground after walking yourself there at the age of 7, black and white tv with rabbit ears, film cameras, TV guide, books, libraries, hand written letters... oh the good old days
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I can relate to all of it with the exception of the microwave one. We had a microwave growing up.

But the rest of it... no doubt! It sucked compared to life today... I wish it was still that way. :)
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    These people are talking tape player, but not understating it was an 8 track tape. 8 songs. That's it and it was as big a three pop tarts.

I didn't have a VCR or microwave until I left the house.

Better tv reception was had by me holding the rabbit ears for our FOUR CHANNELS.

There was no food delivery, you'd pee on the trees if you needed to go and drink out of the garden hose.

We'd leave to play at 8 in the morning and nothing was thought about it unless we were late for dinner.

We'd have 5 or 6 kids in the back of the truck, sitting on the sides, tailgate down

Water wings? What? I learned to swim at 3 when dad threw me into the pool

We had 88, 33, and 45 speed records. Yeah, they came in different speeds.

We worked in the garden before school, after school, after homework, and sometimes until it got dark

When I was in 6th grade, I had to cut our 4 acres of grass and weed and trim it every other weekend.

Yep, things are pretty different now.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    26...identify with a lot of this as well. Some of the technology was still new and not something my family picked up on right away. And the Saturday morning cartoons...yup. Granted, there was Nickelodeon cartoons but still. And cell phones, email...never used them until I was in high school at least. I catch myself saying things about cell phones and video games already!
  • BlueEyesXoXo
    Options
    Why do these always have to include the entry about child abuse? Do you purposely set out to ruin it, or does it come naturally?

Why do your posts always have to be rude? Do you purposely set out to ruin it, or does it come naturally?

:heart: this ^^^^
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Our first VCR had a remote.....but not wireless! :laugh: It had a cable that stretched across the room... but 5 ft short of the couch. So we had to sit on the floor to use the remote. LOL
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I'm only 26 and I remember doing almost all that stuff.
    I'm 25, same here. We didn't have video games til i was 10, and we were still kicked outside til the street lights came on.
  • jgtz15
    jgtz15 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm only 20 an I can relate to most of this... I didnt get no phone until my mom said u can get a job and pay it for it.. I remember no cartoons untill saturday.. in my house no cable only antenna.. Never had a microwave until i moved to the states and even then we didnt have one until like 2003.. no music only what u got on the radio and of i bought it at the store which then they were like $23 for one cd.. way to much.. I remember internet but only moms n dads where allowed to use it to before they charged way to much to just "surf" the web.. lmao times have changed
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha! That was great....I say this stuff to my kids all the time! If someone else didn't add, remember holding the rabbit ears

wrapped in aluminum foil??? "Wait right there. No go back a little. To the right, almost, little more. STOP! Now don't move, just hold

it right there." Oh and you didn't get to watch because then you were holding the ears behind the tv. :laugh: Then there was

walking to the nearest pizza shop if you didn't have Atari or when Donkey Kong first came out....line those quarters up on the

machine to save your spot...:laugh: Yeah, I loved those days!!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    You could to see the Stones, the Beatles, the Doors for 3.50 - 6.00.

Commodore 64s -yikes!

Alot of break through TV programming from Norman Lear

You still had to be careful, but you could pretty much hitch a ride somewhere with a couple of other kids.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Movies were always a double feature and had a cartoon at the beginning. It was only $1.25 to get in and that was full price.

I love this post.
  • bikinibeliever
    Options
    Movies were always a double feature and had a cartoon at the beginning. It was only $1.25 to get in and that was full price.

I love this post.

Me too! I am going to read each and every when I have time later.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 and I think I'm the very tail end of that generation, except the microwave thing, but I picked that up (along with no refrigerator...) living in Polish dorms for a year.
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i'm 21, and some of that was true for me for over half of my life. my little brother on the other hand barely goes outside now that he has an xbox. I have a wii but I use it to work out lol. I hate bein indoors and sometimes I wish we didn't have cell phone or a remote or the tv guide on the tv itself. People are so lazy these days
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    "And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen.. Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!"

This made me laugh really hard!

OMG me too...I mean literally laugh out loud hard. If I weren't sitting in a recliner with my feet up I would have fallen over, lol. I'm 36 and I remember all this. My children both have smartphones. I didn't even have a cell phone until after they were both born! I can remember our first computer too...looking back I'm not sure what the point of it really was. It didn't do much compared to the ones we use now, lol.

And about the "child abuse" back in the day my parents called it discipline. And if we acted out then we got our *kitten* busted. At home, in public, in church...didn't matter, we got it. Somehow my brothers and I survived and grew up respecting our parents and others.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I told my 14 yo I was going to get rid of our cable box and just stick with basic cable or even get rid of cable completely. He asked how we'd know what was on tv and I told him we'd have to get a tv guide. He asked me what it was, when I told him he looked at me like I was an alien and asked if they really made something like that, lol.
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That is very funny! I had to repost it as my Facebook status! Thanks!
  • Parris420
    Parris420 Posts: 69
    Options
    Be for texting became popular.....Passing notes in class..... was the worse when a teacher caught you....Especially when they read it out loud....
    #violated to the
    #max
  • bikinibeliever
    Options
    cassette-tape-and-pencil-li.jpg

LMAO!!! I'm not giving it away either .....I totally forgot that one but :laugh: like hell when I saw this!
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    heck yes!!!! lo i am 42 and yes the generation now has it made!! lol