Skinny gossip

Options

Replies

• holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm a pro-fat fatty. No shame. Someone print me out a t-shirt.

In addition to fatness, here's a list of things I am also in favor of:

Thinness, muscles, skrawniness, huge boobs, tiny boobs, blondes, brunettes, redheads, baldness, people who paint their fingernails, people who have no fingernails... basically, I'm pro-you whatever you happen to be.

Here is a very short list of things I am NOT in favor of:

Violence, ignorance, discrimination, Skinny Gossip.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm a pro-fat fatty. No shame. Someone print me out a t-shirt.

In addition to fatness, here's a list of things I am also in favor of:

Thinness, muscles, skrawniness, huge boobs, tiny boobs, blondes, brunettes, redheads, baldness, people who paint their fingernails, people who have no fingernails... basically, I'm pro-you whatever you happen to be.

Here is a very short list of things I am NOT in favor of:

Violence, ignorance, discrimination, Skinny Gossip.

:drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart: :smile:
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    What does bashing a thigh gap do to people who have it naturally by not overfeeding and underexercising?

In my experience, nothing. I don't have nearly enough of an emotional investment in my natural thigh gap to be offended by Internet bashing on the subject. I'm just thankful that my thighs don't rub when I walk and make my shorts ride up, which from what I hear can be very uncomfortable. But you do know, don't you, that it's not the light showing through that draws attention to forced, unnatural thigh gaps? It's the emaciation.

I made some good points in that post, and this is what you choose to quote? The conclusion I made was that bashing either way wasn't cool.

(and how being dangerously underweight as the result of an eating disorder is more likely to be treated with psychological counseling than being overweight as the result on an eating disorder--something that seems like a grievous oversight in this modern world)
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Actually, editing my post to just copy/paste the link to that topic I said:

http://www.skinnygossip.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5754

Just looking at these responses was just.....disheartening.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Someone help me understand... everyone keeps saying this site isn't pro-ED but the link posted above to one of their forum topics keeps talking about all these girls discovering the site after they searched for "starving tips".

Then earlier I read someone say that the site is all for intermittant fasting, but not pro-ED.

I think theres a huge difference between STARVING yourself and INTERMITTANT FASTING.
  • Vune
    Options
    I was just considering how advice given to people to keep them from binging is often the same things an anorexic might do...read a book, post on your weight loss website, develop calligraphy skills for a dead language, drink a glass of water...
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    It's entertaining site at times, and I admit, the level of snarkiness is pretty funny.

I have seen folks on MFP get down on smaller framed people wanted to get down to or maintain at the lower end of the BMI range, myself included. You can't tell me that doesn't exist here when I've experienced it myself.

Like anywhere, there's good and bad members on both MFP and SG. I've seen a lot of posts that resonate with me on both forums, and I've seen a lot of idiocy on both as well. I have seen a woman on MFP who thinks she would be guant at under 200 lbs, and a woman on SG who eats 500 calories a day to get to a BMI of 16. Both mindsets are unhealthy at each end of the spectrum.

That said, I'm not a fan of the girl who actually runs the site - her tips go past the line of pro-ana territory. I haven't seen any VS model who isn't drop dead gorgeous. I prefer that aesthetic to Vlada's eye bags any day.

However, many of the forum members have a lot of insight to offer, so I stick around.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they kinda lost me when they said Adriana Lima post baby modelling was fat.

That woman is damn beautiful, no matter what weight!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Someone help me understand... everyone keeps saying this site isn't pro-ED but the link posted above to one of their forum topics keeps talking about all these girls discovering the site after they searched for "starving tips".

Then earlier I read someone say that the site is all for intermittant fasting, but not pro-ED.

I think theres a huge difference between STARVING yourself and INTERMITTANT FASTING.

I went back trying to see how it wasn't pro-ana/mia because of what some people were saying. I figured I should give it a fair chance. I read the forums and stuff too.

Honestly, I was still massively upset by it. I think people saying it's not pro-ED are either blind and have no idea what it means to have an eating disorder, or are in complete denial.

I love the author's random "See my post about my opinions on self harm" disclaimers. Apparently, she's all for harming everyone else as long as you don't harm yourself, and harming yourself is okay too as long as you don't admit you're doing it and nobody else can tell.

There are some nuggets of gold in the piles of dirt there, but you can find wisdom in the rants of fascist, too. I've lived a long time as a thin person and was accused of eating disorders when I didn't have any, I get that side of the argument, but that doesn't excuse the vitriol against women of a healthy weight, calling them cows and criticizing how they eat, and the promotion of starvation diets. All of this dressing up of thinspo as "not pro-ana" ...I don't buy it for a second.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    A quick flick through the exercise board revealed posts from a girl who gave her height as 5'10" and a goal weight of 70lbs. Another with quotes about the key being cut calories right up to the point before you pass out - but making sure nobody knows you're doing it.

If they're not examples of an ED in action, I'll eat my zero calorie, high fiber pink striped socks...and that would probably take me over their calorie allowances for the day.

That girl with a goal of 70Ibs had best not get there. I was an inch taller at 18 and weighed 70ibs and almost died. No photos were taken so I have no idea how bad I looked but I do recall being able to get a hand round my thigh and only seeing bones where my butt should have been, and lips turning blue, hair all over my body. No idea how I still walked but I survived and am still alive in spite of having received no treatment at the time. They will not find it so attractive to be that weight if they get committed and end up with a tube forced down their noses and confined to a psych ward.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options

I went back trying to see how it wasn't pro-ana/mia because of what some people were saying. I figured I should give it a fair chance. I read the forums and stuff too.

Honestly, I was still massively upset by it. I think people saying it's not pro-ED are either blind and have no idea what it means to have an eating disorder, or are in complete denial.

I love the author's random "See my post about my opinions on self harm" disclaimers. Apparently, she's all for harming everyone else as long as you don't harm yourself, and harming yourself is okay too as long as you don't admit you're doing it and nobody else can tell.

There are some nuggets of gold in the piles of dirt there, but you can find wisdom in the rants of fascist, too. I've lived a long time as a thin person and was accused of eating disorders when I didn't have any, I get that side of the argument, but that doesn't excuse the vitriol against women of a healthy weight, calling them cows and criticizing how they eat, and the promotion of starvation diets. All of this dressing up of thinspo as "not pro-ana" ...I don't buy it for a second.

Thank you for articulating everything I wanted to say. I'm glad that someone else sees it for what it is. I'm really saddened by people who are SO uninformed about eating disorders. Ugh. I know it's pointless to get worked up over it, but when it's something that I've lived and fought so hard to overcome, it's hard not to want to open people's eyes.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    A quick flick through the exercise board revealed posts from a girl who gave her height as 5'10" and a goal weight of 70lbs. Another with quotes about the key being cut calories right up to the point before you pass out - but making sure nobody knows you're doing it.

If they're not examples of an ED in action, I'll eat my zero calorie, high fiber pink striped socks...and that would probably take me over their calorie allowances for the day.

That girl with a goal of 70Ibs had best not get there. I was an inch taller at 18 and weighed 70ibs and almost died. No photos were taken so I have no idea how bad I looked but I do recall being able to get a hand round my thigh and only seeing bones where my butt should have been, and lips turning blue, hair all over my body. No idea how I still walked but I survived and am still alive in spite of having received no treatment at the time. They will not find it so attractive to be that weight if they get committed and end up with a tube forced down their noses and confined to a psych ward.

Sorry that happened to you, and I'm glad you found recovery. Best of luck to you. :heart:
  • Vune
    Options

I am glad you were able to recover.

That was part of a point I tried to make earlier about the disparity between eating disorders and their treatments. The girls with impossible goal weights will either see how it's impossible, or they will end up hospitalized for their eating disorder. But how often are people with compulsive overeating or non-purging binge disorders hospitalized for their eating disorder? They are treated for the symptoms, but whatever triggered their overeating is more often not worked through in therapy.

Instead, they go to weight loss and fitness websites and get advice like "brush your teeth to avoid binging," which you will find on any pro-ana site, as well. I think that's a much more interesting topic than "people are mean and unhealthy compared to me."
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options

How horrible for you.

However, if she does get even close, I have a feeling that the people on that site will applaud what they see as discipline. And be really harsh to anyone who dared suggest that it would be going too far.
  • IkirPaulson
    IkirPaulson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Off topic, but did anyone else notice that this is a thread from March 2012?? :huh:

You're welcome!
    BTW I like how you think.
  • error_number_404
    Options
    too many god-mods on that site. you need a password just to sign up for an account lol. that's enough for a reason to stay away from their little exclusive club.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I'm sorry you went through that also. I'm glad you are doing well now. :heart:
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Yeah, they kinda lost me when they said Adriana Lima post baby modelling was fat.

That woman is damn beautiful, no matter what weight!

Yeah, that whole article was disturbing and twisted. They also said Lily Aldridge was fat because she had a baby. She is so slender and fit (healthy, but slender).
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I've had some time to think about it and realized the reason those girls all have such low goal weights is because it's actually a web site for girls that live on Mars. A person's Mars weight is 0.38 times their Earth weight. So, my Mars weight is about 39 pounds.
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Options
    It makes me feel sorry for the owner, because I feel that all the vitriol they spew is just a projection of their own insecurities. Someone this critical and judgmental of gorgeous supermodels and actresses ... oh my, how they must criticize and judge their own body.
    And yeah, I get it when she says it sucks when people want to label you and say hurtful things or ignorant things because you're thin or petite. So in turn, I guess it makes sense to create a site where you would mock and belittle any body type different from your own and perpetuate that same kind of hate??

excerpt from an article they wrote in their defense after being called pro-ana:

"Anorexia is not mere dieting, it is not striving for a certain look or to fit into a certain piece of clothing."

No, it's not. But it also is, at least superficially it appears to be -- eating disorders actually look like exactly that, or start exactly like that, if you aren't fessing up to the real issues. That forum raised a thousand red flags. And by creating a website that revolves around "skinny culture", unhealthy dieting tips(she recently took down her "starving tip of the day" section, apparently) and lambasting supermodels with healthy BMI's as "fat and gross" it seems a little suspect, and she's not really helping her case.

how depressing.