Paleo -- ur doin it wrong.

Options

Replies

• Foodaholic4Life
    Options
    Everything's good when you put sauce on it...
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I just want to know who the first person was to look at a cow's udder and saw: I'm gonna drink whatever comes out of that.
    I want to know who the first person was to catch a lobster and think "I bet there's something delicious inside!"
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If people are interested in learning more about the primal/paleo diet, I highly recommend marksdailyapple.com. Great source of information, especially about the science behind the primal diet.

Personally, I was never diagnosed with any food allergies or intolerances, but I feel a world better when I avoid grains and most sources of dairy. Eating primal for me means no processed food or grains, lots of veggies, sensible portions of meat, good fats, and small amounts of fruit and dairy. Best of all, I don't get nearly as hungry as I used to!

It's a big change for most people, but you might find it's worth it! :smile:

15880287.png

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Tha's just eating correctly. Nothing new or Paleo about that really
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    I don't follow the Paleo Lifestyle. I have no desire to - however, my friend Jackie is a fitness model, owns a Crossfit Box, and is a sponsored athlete - and she swears by a Paleo Lifestyle, which is strictly adheres to.

This is her "Recipe Website" - it's got lots of info, as well as recipes and support should you be interested in living a similar lifestyle: http://primalwomeninthekitchen.blogspot.com/ or http://www.crossfitunrivaled.com/
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Humans also didn't eat everyday.... Is that healthy?
    Yes. Intermittent fasting has a variety of health benefits.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    As an anthropologist, I felt I should add to this topic. First, the Paleolithic diet involved fruits, veggies, and meats. Those humanoids did not eat processed foods which are the bane of modern humans' existence. Also, the paleo lifestyle involved and entirely different way of life. First, the mostly nomadic peoples walked to gather their foods and nibbled as they went. The hunters expended a great deal of calories to obtain the meat that the community ate. Remember that most of the diet was fruits and veggies as meat only entered the diet out of sheer luck of the hunt. The community could go weeks without meat.

That being said, yes from an anthropological standpoint, our bodies are geared to eat fruits, veggies, and some meats. We are not evolutionarily far enough from that time for our bodies to have evolved to this new manner of eating...in other means…a diet true to our evolution would avoid all processed or man-made foods like bread, potato chips, fries..... Diabetes is the result of our human bodies being unable to process refined sugar. There is even references to "sweet urine" in ancient Egypt... Many of our common illnesses are the results of how we eat and the lifestyles we lead.

Therefore we should eat fruits, veggies, nuts, roots, meats, unrefined oils,....(now if I could just listen to what I just said...laughs...gotta have my chocolate and wine:laugh:

I guess all that makes sense if your tribe was based in Africa or some other temperate climate, but what about the people who were in neither a temperate environment or nomadic? The populations of northern Europe ate little fruit and vegetables. In fact hese populations still eat relatively little these food types. Their diet would be predominantly meat and fats.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    replying to rextcat:

totally. there are lots of things that you have to wonder what was the first person to eat that thinking when they picked it up and put it in their mouth. oh, look at this mushroom growing up from dirt. i bet that tastes good.

i know right like a cactus totaly looks yummie!!lol..... :drinker:
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    replying to rextcat:

totally. there are lots of things that you have to wonder what was the first person to eat that thinking when they picked it up and put it in their mouth. oh, look at this mushroom growing up from dirt. i bet that tastes good.

i know right like a cactus totaly looks yummie!!lol..... :drinker:

hell look at the tribes in the amazon tripping on dmt
    before people had any idea of chemistry they had worked out how to not only find a drug in a plant but combine it with another plant so the body can absorb it through there gut. pretty impressive
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    I'm not a strong Paleo follower but I am glad it came along. Thanks to Paleo and Keto, I found out my health responds more positively towards eating high protein and high fat. I've had my blood tested about every 3 months or so for 2.5 years. Eating lots of fat has made my LDL and triglycerides go down while my HDL increases. I still ate carbs but it's mostly in the form of fruits and veggies. I also still drank milk and ate rice. Occassionally, I would eat cake, cookies, hot dog... I don't want to go full Paleo because I don't think I'll be too happy elimitating so much food.

I'm mostly eating this way for health reason and also it is more enjoyable to me. Losing weight for me was not really a problem except trying to go under 10% body fat. I tried all kinds of diet and they all worked as long as I kept a deficit.

Saying that Paleo is doing it wrong well is just wrong. If it works for them, so be it.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I'm really getting confused about this Paleo thing... it sounds like the Eat Clean diet...

So... what's the difference? Aren't they just the same thing with different names?

I'm a big advocate of eating clean~ even though I don't follow it 100%. It just makes sense to eat foods that have undergone as little processing as possible.

But even our veggies and fruits aren't 100% clean these days. They've undergone all kinds of genetic altering, not to mention the chemicals they get sprayed with. I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect diet these days but I'd wager those genetically altered veggies are better then that bag of chips I just ate...
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I'm really getting confused about this Paleo thing... it sounds like the Eat Clean diet...

So... what's the difference? Aren't they just the same thing with different names?

I'm a big advocate of eating clean~ even though I don't follow it 100%. It just makes sense to eat foods that have undergone as little processing as possible.

But even our veggies and fruits aren't 100% clean these days. They've undergone all kinds of genetic altering, not to mention the chemicals they get sprayed with. I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect diet these days but I'd wager those genetically altered veggies are better then that bag of chips I just ate...

There isn't any diff. But to he public, "just eat right stupid" isn't nearly as marketable as "so easy a caveman can do it!"
  • penrbrown
    Options
    There isn't any diff. But to he public, "just eat right stupid" isn't nearly as marketable as "so easy a caveman can do it!"

Hee. I just see the books now:
    "JUST EAT RIGHT STUPID"

I'm sure they'd sell millions of books.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Everything's good when you put sauce on it...

I lol'd.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    how about:
    1. cavemen are gone. for a reason i'd say.
    2. their life expectancy was 20 or 25 years?

yeah. so cool.

I'm pretty sure that archaelogists have found skeletons from that era that indicate much older people. If you didn't die in childhood or from accidents or injury "cavemen" were just as likely to live to an old age as we are today...yet without most of the modern diseases that we have now.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

BUT: it's just as plausible (and as far as I know there's about as much research to support the idea) that our ancestors evolved to eat *flexibly*. That is, the people who could eat whatever was available, when it was available, and survive/procreate, were the most successful. Yes, meat and plants were what we ate most often. But that doesn't mean that's what we are evolved/designed to eat, and it doesn't mean that's the only thing we *should* eat.

I personally think that while humans can consume just about anything and live, procreate, etc. the evolution of our species cannot be ignored. You really can't replace millions of years of evolution on a hunter gatherer diet with the changes that have been made in the last 10,000 or so.

Yes, humans can live off of just about anything, and that is a testament more to the flexibility and durability of the human body more than showing that relatively modern ways of eating are better for us. We survive in spite of the junk we shovel in our faces these days. Generally nobody denys that eating more veggies, fruits, meat and nuts is bad for you, until you slap a label on it like "Paleo" or "Low Carb/Atkins", then suddenly peoples' hair catches on fire.
  • penrbrown
    Options

BUT: it's just as plausible (and as far as I know there's about as much research to support the idea) that our ancestors evolved to eat *flexibly*. That is, the people who could eat whatever was available, when it was available, and survive/procreate, were the most successful. Yes, meat and plants were what we ate most often. But that doesn't mean that's what we are evolved/designed to eat, and it doesn't mean that's the only thing we *should* eat.

I personally think that while humans can consume just about anything and live, procreate, etc. the evolution of our species cannot be ignored. You really can't replace millions of years of evolution on a hunter gatherer diet with the changes that have been made in the last 10,000 or so.

Yes, humans can live off of just about anything, and that is a testament more to the flexibility and durability of the human body more than showing that relatively modern ways of eating are better for us. We survive in spite of the junk we shovel in our faces these days. Generally nobody denys that eating more veggies, fruits, meat and nuts is bad for you, until you slap a label on it like "Paleo" or "Low Carb/Atkins", then suddenly peoples' hair catches on fire.

Probably because slapping the label on sounds like an attempt to sell books and videos.

It's weird that common sense is for sale these days.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I'd say if the caveman at trash like Doritos and white rice all the time, I'd probably be pretty healty. Given they exercised their *kitten* off every day, trying to find food and not be eaten themselves.
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Paleo will make much more sensef you read more into the biochemistry involved on how our bodies hormonally respond to grains and how the grains have defense systems that can irritate the intestine leading to "leaky gut" and chronic inlfammation. It is much more complex than a "simple eat like your ancestors" and the big Paleo players are quick to point that out. They are also quick to point out that some people are more sensitive than others. The only way to know is to cut out possible offenders completely, allow your gut to heal for a month, and then slowly reintroduce and see what happens. Yes, we are flexible eaters but the biochemistry of how our body deals with these foods has not caught up to the "food" we eat currently. A nice way of thinking of the evolution is to imagine a football field and we have only eaten grains for one yard. I highly recommend Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution, especially if you want to get a better understanding of the biochemical and hormonal responses.

^^^^ this
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's really got nothing to do with the types of food, it's all about calories. Paleo hunter-gatherers ate an average of about 3000 calories a day, and were constantly walking and moving, lifting, hunting, and active. Modern humans eat ALMOST 3000 calories a day on average (I think it's like 2600 or somewhere around there,) while sitting on the couch, or sitting at a desk most of the day.

It's really not that hard to figure out what caused the decline in health, and rise in obesity. People are generally eating WAY TOO MUCH food for the activity levels.

After all, for every person that has a wheat intolerance, there is also a person that has a meat intolerance. Blaming one macronutrient is as farcical and short sighted as it was 30 years ago, when fat was the evil demon making everyone fat and unhealthy.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is 'doin it wrong'

I have yet to see paleo recipes listed in any paleo guide.
    human-planet_timothy-allen_030.jpg
    Paleo breakfast..

witchetty-grub_1.jpg
    Paleo 5 hour energy..

5811228130_43499650e9_z.jpg
    Paleo post work out protein drink.