Paleo -- ur doin it wrong.

Options

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/357313-meat-and-a-protein-allergy/

As for examples of people who have one, Bryan Danielson, professional wrestler. He was basically forced to turn vegan after a constant skin rash and weakened immune system was caused by his body's inability to process meat proteins properly. He had just attributed it to constant wrestling and mat burns, but eventually a doctor diagnosed him and told him to eliminate all animal products.

Ok, so there are cases in which this exists, however in the same article you will see:

A meat allergy is an uncommon food allergy: Ninety percent of food allergies are related to soy, wheat, peanuts, fish, eggs, tree nuts and milk, according to MayoClinic.com. Uncommon food allergy....

Also:

Asthma and Immunology says that some people can form a meat allergy from certain carbohydrates and proteins found in some meat products. Notice the reference to MEAT PRODUCTS. They again reference carbohydrates in meat in the article, which is likely possible when you are eating processed meat products and not pure meat. I'd be willing to bet that you feed those same people a nice grass fed steak and not some processed stuff they'd probably not have the same reaction.

Further, has anyone looked at what passes for "meat" these days? Go to the store and pick up just about any packaged meat, even when it says something like "Breakfast sausage links" and see how much soy and wheat are in them. It's not only shocking, but practically criminal.
    So you choose to ignore the word protein to focus on the word carbohydrate? Even wheat allergies are PROTEIN allergies, not carbohydrate allergies.

So you choose to ignore the very first statement in the article that meat allergies are uncommon? You also choose to not read between the lines and see that they mention meat products several times and not specifically non-processed meat? Since when is there a carbohydrate in meat? Basically the article lost all credibility toward the meat they are referring to when they start talking about carbs in meat.

Again, I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, some people are unfortunate enough to have all kinds of odd food allergies, but again this is very uncommon. To make a statement suggesting that this is widespread enough to be a reason that people go vegetarian seems dubious at best.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    But even our veggies and fruits aren't 100% clean these days. They've undergone all kinds of genetic altering, not to mention the chemicals they get sprayed with. I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect diet these days but I'd wager those genetically altered veggies are better then that bag of chips I just ate...
    There is very little clean meat in the U.S. as well. Even when you go hunt your own, you'r'e supposed to take it to a meat processing plant where they treat it according to mandated standards. You can get non-GMO animal protein unaffected by hormone-laced foods but unless you illegally butcher your own meat, you are getting processed food.

Where do you live that this is necessary? I've never heard of such nonsense, and don't know any self respecting hunter that would take their kill to a processing plant. Field dress it, and then take it to a local butcher at the very most.

I have to agree with this post. Where I live you do not have to take your game meat to a processing facility. You just take it to the butcher. Nothing illegal involved...
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the Paleo Lifestyle. I have no desire to - however, my friend Jackie is a fitness model, owns a Crossfit Box, and is a sponsored athlete - and she swears by a Paleo Lifestyle, which is strictly adheres to.

This is her "Recipe Website" - it's got lots of info, as well as recipes and support should you be interested in living a similar lifestyle: http://primalwomeninthekitchen.blogspot.com/ or http://www.crossfitunrivaled.com/

Hey thanks for this. Great Help!
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think people are missing the overall point of the Paleo/Primal diet/lifestyle. The "eat the way a caveman does" is such a simplification intended only to help people understand what to actually put in their mouth. Not the WHY it's healthier.

The health benefits for many (notice I did not say all) comes from the way our bodies respond biochemically and hormonally to what we expose them to. (grains, dairy, and sugar is simply bad joujou for many) It is not an argument that meat is a superior protein or whether it is morally the right or wrong way to eat. It's about the way our body responds to stimulus. I can't argue with or convince my cells how to behave. It's science, deal with it. But I can eat in way that will limit inflammation, increase insulin sensitivity, and limit metabolic derangement.

And as to the comment about eating meat and the sustainability and impact on our environment: Take a good look at our current agricultural practices (grain, dairy, seafood, and meat), we are going to be in a great deal more trouble if we continue the path we are on.

The Paleo community advocates eating local, getting to know your food sources, and buying directly from sustainable farmers. How does loading up on grains and junk in the supermarket help out the situation? Grass-fed beef, free range eggs and chicken, wild caught fish, and eating locally and seasonally fruits and veggies are all heavily advocated not merely for their "feel good" benefit, but for their clear nutrition benefits as well.

This is how change is made, not by standing on moral high ground, but by showing clear scientific benefits and taking ownership for what we are consuming. And no, eating this way does NOT have to be more expensive, can actually be done for LESS. And yes, I was a vegetarian at one time, so I do feel I have some ground to stand on with this.

And seriously who said all calories are the same? Welcome to 2012 hon, science has left you behind, good luck with the weight loss. (ouch, that sounds harsh, sorry, but seriously)

I'd like to see people do some research and focus on the real topics before spouting off their opinions. Believe and eat whatever you want, it's your body. Just don't criticise others for what they do if you don't know anything more than the slogan or hot-button issues.

Is this the vitriol you desired? lol
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think people are missing the overall point of the Paleo/Primal diet/lifestyle. The "eat the way a caveman does" is such a simplification intended only to help people understand what to actually put in their mouth. Not the WHY it's healthier.

The health benefits for many (notice I did not say all) comes from the way our bodies respond biochemically and hormonally to what we expose them to. (grains, dairy, and sugar is simply bad joujou for many) It is not an argument that meat is a superior protein or whether it is morally the right or wrong way to eat. It's about the way our body responds to stimulus. I can't argue with or convince my cells how to behave. It's science, deal with it. But I can eat in way that will limit inflammation, increase insulin sensitivity, and limit metabolic derangement.

And as to the comment about eating meat and the sustainability and impact on our environment: Take a good look at our current agricultural practices (grain, dairy, seafood, and meat), we are going to be in a great deal more trouble if we continue the path we are on.

The Paleo community advocates eating local, getting to know your food sources, and buying directly from sustainable farmers. How does loading up on grains and junk in the supermarket help out the situation? Grass-fed beef, free range eggs and chicken, wild caught fish, and eating locally and seasonally fruits and veggies are all heavily advocated not merely for their "feel good" benefit, but for their clear nutrition benefits as well.

This is how change is made, not by standing on moral high ground, but by showing clear scientific benefits and taking ownership for what we are consuming. And no, eating this way does NOT have to be more expensive, can actually be done for LESS. And yes, I was a vegetarian at one time, so I do feel I have some ground to stand on with this.

And seriously who said all calories are the same? Welcome to 2012 hon, science has left you behind, good luck with the weight loss. (ouch, that sounds harsh, sorry, but seriously)

I'd like to see people do some research and focus on the real topics before spouting off their opinions. Believe and eat whatever you want, it's your body. Just don't criticise others for what they do if you don't know anything more than the slogan or hot-button issues.

Needs more personal attacks to be good pro paleo vitriol imo

Do you personally think that the weight of the current scientific evidence points to severely limiting grains, legumes and dairy for everyone?

Well a calorie is just a standardized unit of energy so technically a calorie is calorie, now you may be referring to how it relates to food, particularly macronutrients and the differences in their thermic effect among other things. But with that said, let's assume you did think all calories were exactly the same and just ate in a caloric deficit with no regards to macro nutrient split, would you lose weight or not?
  • sapalee
    Options

Needs more personal attacks to be good pro paleo vitriol imo

Do you personally think that the weight of the current scientific evidence points to severely limiting grains, legumes and dairy for everyone?

Well a calorie is just a standardized unit of energy so technically a calorie is calorie, now you may be referring to how it relates to food, particularly macronutrients and the differences in their thermic effect among other things. But with that said, let's assume you did think all calories were exactly the same and just ate in a caloric deficit with no regards to macro nutrient split, would you lose weight or not?

Dang, never was any good at personal attacks :)

Limiting severely for everyone? No, like I said previously, some are affected more than others and those are obviously the people who will tend to stick with it because they are seeing clear benefits. But general trends will change when people recognize the benefits in those around them and begin making changes themselves. I'm seeing it already. And yes, a great deal of research still needs to be done. Wolf, Cordain and many others are advocating and working on making that happen.

Yes, how our bodies respond to calories from one nutrient vs another is different. As far as losing weight on a calorie defecit, of course you can do it and many do, it's just not the most efficient. Things are more complex than simply calories in and out, this is what I was referring to with the original posters comment about why we are fatter and unhealthier now SIMPLY because we eat too many calories and don't exercise enough. It's like saying eating fat will make you fat. We can't oversimplify something so complex as the human body.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Dang, never was any good at personal attacks :)

Limiting severely for everyone? No, like I said previously, some are affected more than others and those are obviously the people who will tend to stick with it because they are seeing clear benefits. But general trends will change when people recognize the benefits in those around them and begin making changes themselves. I'm seeing it already. And yes, a great deal of research still needs to be done. Wolf, Cordain and many others are advocating and working on making that happen.

Yes, how our bodies respond to calories from one nutrient vs another is different. As far as losing weight on a calorie defecit, of course you can do it and many do, it's just not the most efficient. Things are more complex than simply calories in and out, this is what I was referring to with the original posters comment about why we are fatter and unhealthier now SIMPLY because we eat too many calories and don't exercise enough. It's like saying eating fat will make you fat. We can't oversimplify something so complex as the human body.

And yes the energy balance equation is a little more complex as cals in vs cals out, see;

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html

And what would be the most efficient way to lose bodyfat?
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    what i want to know is just how hungery man was to discover that shellfish was tasty:drinker:

and broccoli:noway:
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Question. Does the body process 100% of the calories available from a particular food we eat in the time it's in our intenstines?

Let's say this:

1) 6 dounuts. Let's say worth 2,000 calories.
    2) Let' say 12 peanut and jelly sandwiches on whole wheat bread worth about 2,000 calories.
  • sapalee
    Options
    I think we are getting a little off track here, Paleo isn't necessarily about fat loss. I do love all the work to the energy balance equation he's done to make it make sense. What is not accounted for however is our hormonal response to different types of foods and how our body uses and stores the calories we consume. And of course our stress, sleep, hydration, and neuroendocrine response to different types of exercise. HORMONES! They control us in so many more ways than people give them credit for.

I realize many people here are working towards losing weight but the Paleo lifestyle (as Robb Wolf presents in particularly) is not simply about losing fat, though it is often an outcome. Eating Paleo is more about healing your gut, reducing inflammation, avoiding blood sugar spikes and falls, reducing stress, and increasing insulin sensitivity. Overall health, not just numbers on a scale.
  • jdgarrett22
    Options
    IMHO Paleo is 1)too meat heavy (it doesn't make sense that ancient people were able to get meat in the volumes that we can) and 2)is not necessarily good for someone who is a casual dieter.

I can see how it SUPER helps crossfitters, but I found that, while I was eating "cleaner" I didn't lose any weight. Most paleo enthusiasts I know don't advocate for tracking calories. Even if it's clean food, too much will add weight if you're output doesn't match.

My husband and I have been eating this way for 16 days and even though it is "meat heavy" we have lost weight. My husband in particular (who is eating a "crazy" amount of steak and chicken) has lost 16lbs. A pound a day! This diet is really a lifestyle change and we see it as more of a life away from all the processed crap and man-made food that is pushed on us daily rather than "going back to what our ancestors ate".

I would recommend that every once in awhile you have your cholesterol checked.
  • joannea1988
    Options
    bump want to read later
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    IMHO Paleo is 1)too meat heavy (it doesn't make sense that ancient people were able to get meat in the volumes that we can) and 2)is not necessarily good for someone who is a casual dieter.

I can see how it SUPER helps crossfitters, but I found that, while I was eating "cleaner" I didn't lose any weight. Most paleo enthusiasts I know don't advocate for tracking calories. Even if it's clean food, too much will add weight if you're output doesn't match.

My husband and I have been eating this way for 16 days and even though it is "meat heavy" we have lost weight. My husband in particular (who is eating a "crazy" amount of steak and chicken) has lost 16lbs. A pound a day! This diet is really a lifestyle change and we see it as more of a life away from all the processed crap and man-made food that is pushed on us daily rather than "going back to what our ancestors ate".

Agreed, you'll see a great improvement in your cholesterol numbers!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    That being said, yes from an anthropological standpoint, our bodies are geared to eat fruits, veggies, and some meats. We are not evolutionarily far enough from that time for our bodies to have evolved to this new manner of eating...in other means…a diet true to our evolution would avoid all processed or man-made foods like bread, potato chips, fries..... Diabetes is the result of our human bodies being unable to process refined sugar. There is even references to "sweet urine" in ancient Egypt... Many of our common illnesses are the results of how we eat and the lifestyles we lead.

Therefore we should eat fruits, veggies, nuts, roots, meats, unrefined oils,....(now if I could just listen to what I just said...laughs...gotta have my chocolate and wine:laugh:

I was all about everything you were saying until you said that "Diabetes is the result of our human bodies being unable to process refined sugar." While it is true that a diabetic cannot properly use sugar, it's not refined sugar that caused the problem. It's not merely refined sugar that causes blood sugar in a Type 1 diabetic to rise. Type 1 diabetes is CAUSED by an immune deficiency in which your immune system attacks the insulin producing cells in the body. It has nothing to do with whether the person ate refined sugar or not. The inability to process sugar (or glucose of any kind, including those that are generated by protein) is a result.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    And the average life span of paleolithic man was?????

I'm all for eating clean, nutrient dense foods, lots of fruits and vegetables etc but I don't think I want to make my dietary choices based on some notion of what my prehistoric ancestors (who may have lived into their twenties & thirties) may or may not have eaten. (I'll also stick to modern textiles for clothing and continue to live in my house rather than a cave)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    But even our veggies and fruits aren't 100% clean these days. They've undergone all kinds of genetic altering, not to mention the chemicals they get sprayed with. I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect diet these days but I'd wager those genetically altered veggies are better then that bag of chips I just ate...
    There is very little clean meat in the U.S. as well. Even when you go hunt your own, you'r'e supposed to take it to a meat processing plant where they treat it according to mandated standards. You can get non-GMO animal protein unaffected by hormone-laced foods but unless you illegally butcher your own meat, you are getting processed food.

Where do you live? This isn't true where I live.
  • sapalee
    Options

Agreed, you'll see a great improvement in your cholesterol numbers!

bump :)
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    mmm peanut butter m&ms....

wait, what are we talking about?
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options

Where do you live that this is necessary? I've never heard of such nonsense, and don't know any self respecting hunter that would take their kill to a processing plant. Field dress it, and then take it to a local butcher at the very most.

I'm not a hunter but have known a few over the years. I agree, never heard of such a law, unless maybe you're looking to sell venison or some other meat. But for personal consumption you MUST take it to a government sanctioned plant? How would that be enforced, through home inspections?
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    diets dont work.