One Year and 80lbs: Couch Potato to Runner

Options
bigswedeman
bigswedeman Posts: 139 Member
In March of 2011, just months away from Bariatric surgery, a type 2 diabetic with high blood pressure and low (good) cholesterol, I decided to make a change.

From a former self professed couch potato who couldn't run more than 20 seconds at a time, I've just signed up to run my first 5k next month... (THANK YOU COUCH TO 5K! I can't stress the benefits of that program enough!)
A kind of celebration into how far I've come...

I still have a good 30lbs I'd like to lose, but I am no longer diabetic and my blood pressure and cholesterol levels are great. My doctor in the fall said I was a "poster child for the benefits of weightloss"... Made me feel really good :)

Anyways, I'm relatively new to this site (former/still Loseit.com user). I'm looking for some new friends for positive support and to kick my *kitten* when needed to help me get to 220lbs.

If you're interested, my blog and more pictures are at www.330andfalling.com

Thanks guys, and best wishes on your travels!

Kevin

March 2011 (330lbs)
7019395791_03935189f0.jpg

7019395741_91185b1a87.jpg

March 2012 (250lbs)

6873290032_64032d05ab.jpg

Replies

• amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Yay - another new runner!!

Congrats on your progress, though I can't see your last two pics - it might be my computer though,

Keep up the great work!! :)
    ETA - I can see the pics now...great job!!
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    Congratulations !! YOu are looking great!
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, you look so handsome. :)) So happy about your good health too! I am not a runner yet, I'm on week 2 of couch to 5k, so maybe You could give Me some pointers... lol :happy:
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Damn, go you!
    You must be so chuffed.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Dude! Enjoy your success and good luck on your continuing journey toward a fit and happy life!
  • Pollyfleming
    Pollyfleming Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look awesome!
  • bigswedeman
    Options
    I give complete credit to finding the C25k to get me moving... Wow, it's crazy. If you go back in my blog to last April you can follow me as I went through the paces... The dreaded 18 minute straight run for the first time... It's crazy looking back on it knowing that yesterday I ran 5.25k outside in 27 minutes without stopping...

If anyones looking for a new friend, send me an invite :)
  • Sindari
    Sindari Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Stick with the C25k. If you miss a day or have to repeat the same week 5 day 3 run because you can't push yourself to week 6 just yet (GUILTY!) then do what you can do. Its a big jump between running 6, then running 9, then running _20_ but by god when you start pushing buttons on your ([insert your particular electronic device here]) and say "eh what the hell I'll give it a try"..... and then you actually RUN 20 FREAKIN MINUTES.

Wow. What a feeling.

I do reccomend pairing the C25k with something else like Endomondo, Nike+GPS, or Adidas miCoach. For me I like to see how many miles I've accumulated, where I ran, changes in elevations.... Its a sense of competing with yourself.

What an incredible journey Azarius. Keep it up!
  • bigswedeman
    Options
    Absolutely... I recall repeating weeks a couple of times before I got there... but I got there.

And don't forget to do a fist pump when you finish a run :)
  • itscoezy
    itscoezy Posts: 33
    Options
    Way to go, what awesome results :) thanks for sharing. :)
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    That is so awesome! You look great!
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome transformation. Congratulations. I too started to run last year and found it to be the best thing for losing weight, 'bout to go for a run now.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Nice job!
  • nisi24
    nisi24 Posts: 29
    Options
    Congrats! You look great!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You look kinda like James Hetfield in your "after" pic, awesome going and keep it up!!
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You look great. I am currently training for a run also. I've did a 5K last October, but haven't done much since...until now. I'm hoping to run a 12K (7.46 miles) in June. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • bigswedeman
    Options
    *lol* Thanks, I'll have to take an updated picture with my axe ;)
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    That is why I want to be a runner, everyone I know who has been successful at losing weight; runs!
  • nomadic_chef
    Options
    Great job! I hope to be in your shoes in a year!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    That is super awesome! Congrats on your success! Good luck on your first race!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!