One Year and 80lbs: Couch Potato to Runner

Options

Replies

• beeker75
    beeker75 Posts: 109
    Options
    I am not a runner, but I am definitely impressed! Great job! I had a goal of 30 lbs, after the birth of my daughter. I am down 8, and she is fast approaching her 2nd birthday. (I really wanted to have lost the lbs by now) Keep up the great work! As a Fireman/EMT hearing someone who improved their health and lifestyle by hard work, it makes me sooo happy! :)
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Well Done! and SOoOoOoOoooo inspiring. Love that you have not only the the weight loss victory but the NSV victory with your health as well - that is just FANtastic!
  • bogle34
    bogle34 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Great job, keep it up! I want to start running too!!
  • mindfulone
    mindfulone Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow running I to would like to run someday it seems so far away, you look great so great you did it!!!
  • megansoriano
    Options
    me-ow!
  • hrharris70
    hrharris70 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You didn't just go from couch to 5K you also went from hottie to hottier. Fantastic transformation! Well Done!
  • bigswedeman
    bigswedeman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    /blush Thanks ladies :) I must profess it's nice to get some positive reinforcement once in awhile

I went back in my blog to last year, and I've noticed I didn't post a lot about my start of my journey... My first big blog post on C25k was about Week 5, day 3

The Dreaded W5D3 Run!
    I'm still plugging away at running the Couch 2 5k program... The other day was the dreaded week 5, day 3 run... Which was 5 minute warm up, 20 minute run then 5 minute cool-down...

I was pretty apprehensive before starting it (previous days were 8 mins run MAX) and didn't know if I'd die doing it (no, not literally)... But I did it... "Somewhat" easily I might add - I figured I could have run another 10 minutes.

It was really wierd... It was like I was in a 'zone' where it didn't hurt, the breathing wasn't too laboured and I just kept plugging away.

It felt awesome to get it down, and I did a few fist pumps to Lady Gaga as the 20 minutes expired.

Weight: Held 286 for the past couple of days :)

Had my endoscopy on the 12th. It was pretty uneventful... Waiting was a bore, but the actual procedure I was knocked out for... No sore throat or anything and was able to go to work the next day.

-K
  • samantha1826
    samantha1826 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Your an inspiration!
  • underarmourgurl
    Options
    wow, you give me inspiration and hope that someday I might be able to run... Thanks.. Add me could use motivation!! :)
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    In March of 2011, just months away from Bariatric surgery, a type 2 diabetic with high blood pressure and low (good) cholesterol, I decided to make a change.

From a former self professed couch potato who couldn't run more than 20 seconds at a time, I've just signed up to run my first 5k next month... (THANK YOU COUCH TO 5K! I can't stress the benefits of that program enough!)
    A kind of celebration into how far I've come...

I still have a good 30lbs I'd like to lose, but I am no longer diabetic and my blood pressure and cholesterol levels are great. My doctor in the fall said I was a "poster child for the benefits of weightloss"... Made me feel really good :)

Anyways, I'm relatively new to this site (former/still Loseit.com user). I'm looking for some new friends for positive support and to kick my *kitten* when needed to help me get to 220lbs.

If you're interested, my blog and more pictures are at www.330andfalling.com

Thanks guys, and best wishes on your travels!

Kevin

March 2011 (330lbs)
    7019395791_03935189f0.jpg

7019395741_91185b1a87.jpg

March 2012 (250lbs)

6873290032_64032d05ab.jpg

looking good i want to start running and dong couch 25k again did it when i was 200 pounds before my 2nd kid. But I was dcared to start at 280 pounds you give me inspiration!!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great work, Kevin. You look fantastic. I am a new runner as well. It is actually kind of fun. Who knew?! Feel free to add me as a friend. I, as well, am about to reach my one year anniversary of being dedicated to living healthy. :happy:
  • bigswedeman
    Options
    Just remember with C2K, don't worry about how FAST you're going just that you're getting it done :)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! Congrates!
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    First of all...AMAZING! You look great, and more importantly, you can tell you feel great. Big thumbs up to you. :)

I have a question....I tried the C25K before and I stalled out at a mile. Just couldn't seem to push past it. I know you have the option, when you do the program, of using distance or time for your intervals....which did you use?
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspirational story. I'm currently doing C25K but have been losing my motivation to continue. Good luck on your continued success and healthier you in your weight loss journey!
  • sassafrasy
    sassafrasy Posts: 113
    Options
    ooh, ooh, friend me! My weightloss is 30 more lbs. too. I am running my first half marathon this Saturday. I have trained for 4 months for this day! I can't wait. I used Hal Higdon's training schedule online.
    I am also running another half marathon in May.....4.5 mile mud obstacle in May....and possibly tough mudder in October.
    good luck on journey. you have already done an amazing job. you've saved a life, yours!
  • april1lowe
    april1lowe Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! You've done amazing and YES you are a poster child for the benefits of weight loss! Wonderful job and YAY a fellow runner :) I've lost just shy of 50 lbs this past year and was NEVER a runner. I ran my first 5K in Sept and am now training for my first half marathon...eeeeeeekkkkk.....it's in a few weeks! So nervous! Best of luck and congrats!!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    amazing!!!! i'm a new runner, too!
  • bigswedeman
    Options
    First of all...AMAZING! You look great, and more importantly, you can tell you feel great. Big thumbs up to you. :)

I have a question....I tried the C25K before and I stalled out at a mile. Just couldn't seem to push past it. I know you have the option, when you do the program, of using distance or time for your intervals....which did you use?

I *ALWAYS* used time... I didn't worry about how fast I was going, just that I did it for the entire time that was asked. Funny thing was, being a treadmill noobie I didn't realize it was Imperial... I thought the numbers were in kilometres, and thought "I'd never get there..." Then one day I figured out I was already running 3 miles, and was like... OMG! I just ran 5k *lol* /facepalm

My first big C25k entry from last year was Week 5, day 3... That was a hard one, mentally much more than physically!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!