What does you gym cost??

Options

Replies

• vikkilo21
    vikkilo21 Posts: 16
    Options
    I pay $52 a month at a student rate for a 24/7 gym with no classes. That's $42 USD but i'm not complaining because the average gym here is around $60 a month. Plus i love my gym! Just wish I could pay $10 a month for it! :D
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I pay a lot $69 (this is the discounted rate from $90) a month for my gym membership. Oddly enough it has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I hadn't intended on joining this particular gym because it was so expensive. It was crazy for me to think about paying this much when there are places around here that are as low as $10/month. They had a trial for a week, so I thought a week free at a gym couldn't hurt.
    After my trial ended I went and looked at other gyms. The one for $10/month and no contract was so packed with people and they have so many rules about not grunting or dropping the bars on the floor (if you do, a siren goes off)!

Then I went to a few 24 hour gyms that were about $30/40 a month depending on if I wanted a commitment or not. These gyms are great for hours because I have an odd schedule but they didn't have a pool which was important to me.

Then I went to another gym that would be most comparable to the one that I eventually joined. The rate was $55/month and it did have a pool. But it smelled, the staff was not very friendly, it was crowded, and it seemed more like a night club with people picking each other up!

Me feeling comfortable is important because it means I will actually go!

So in the end I picked the most expensive one in the city, because it had everything I needed and I actually look forward to going and being in that environment. Also, because it is so expensive I go 6 days a week! I spend several hours a day there, and so now I feel the money is well spent.

I should add that it is more like country club. There are both indoor and outdoor pools. They have several different rooms with workout equipment and group fitness studios. Tennis courts, racket ball courts, squash courts, basketball courts ..etc. And the locker rooms are gorgeous! They have hair dryers and styling products .. showers with body wash, shampoo, conditioner. You don't have to bring a lock or towels.

Anyway, you get what you pay for ... but what you pay for you should actually use!
  • WPoppysmith
    WPoppysmith Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow!! cannot believe the prices you guys pay for a gym in the USA, over here in the UK its expensive, the cheapest I have found is about $70 per month and thats with restricted access. So instead I walk - its the cheapest gym in the world, has excellent views (Yorkshire) and the music is pretty cool (plugged into ipod) and the company excellent (trainee assistance dog).
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    Holy smokes I need to move to the states! So cheap. Tanning? Sauna?

I actually don't pay anything extra during the academic year because of my enrollment in university (included in tuition fees). I get access to the gym, indoor track, Olympic pool, racket center, climbing wall, speed skating track/rink, and a bunch of random stuff. But, I once considered getting a membership to a local gym during the summer until I found out it was 70 bucks. No thanks.
  • rinnylin
    rinnylin Posts: 5
    Options
    Mines free (perks of being a military wife) but if I want a personal trainer I have to pay.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    $16 a month for 24 hour access.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I got to a local gym. My husband and I pay $55/month for the two of us.
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    $10/month at work with 24hr access & free in the complex where I live.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I pay $64 a month for a family membership at the YMCA. Covers gym, all group classes (kickboxing, zumba, step, body pump, spinning, etc.), daycare for kids while working out, pool, sauna, jacuzzi, and a discount on the fee for all group sports for kids. I think it's a great deal.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Nothing. $0.00. My gym is the great outdoors. I walk, hike and garden. It's free and it's working for me. The actual health club here costs about $60.00 a month and I'd have to drive 15 miles out of my way to get there so I don't go.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    24Hr Fitness nerd, I have a single club membership because that's all I need. Comes out to $30 after tax.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym now, but I went to Lifetime Fitness which was $60/month plus $5 for my son. And then another gym that was similar to Lifetime which was $49 plus $8 for my son. Includes indoor/outdoor pools, sauna, hot tubs, steam rooms, basketball court, gym, all classes, the $49 dollar gym had shampoo and conditioner and body wash in all the showers too lol. Oh and rock wall.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I pay $15/mo for life because I got their logo (The Running Man) tattooed on me and I have 24 hour access.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I pay a lot $69 (this is the discounted rate from $90) a month for my gym membership. Oddly enough it has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I hadn't intended on joining this particular gym because it was so expensive. It was crazy for me to think about paying this much when there are places around here that are as low as $10/month. They had a trial for a week, so I thought a week free at a gym couldn't hurt.
    After my trial ended I went and looked at other gyms. The one for $10/month and no contract was so packed with people and they have so many rules about not grunting or dropping the bars on the floor (if you do, a siren goes off)!

hmm... so you went and checked out Planet Fitness? lol.
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    $78 per month for myself and 3 children. + $50/month for onsite daycare for an hour a day + $40 for "extra" classes +$50/hour for personal Trainers and when Husband is home it's $121/month plus the rest of the stuff.

Since the Y is the ONLY place with onsite daycare, I guess they figure it's cool beans to rip us off in the Pacific Northwest??
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Absolutely NOTHING! But that's because I use the fitness center at the Air Force base here and it's all free. It's 24 hours, has various classes (most are not at times that work for me though) and is also staffed 24 hours a day.

In other words, you can thanks all of us. :)
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Gym i'm going to join will cost 58£ for use of everything, swimming pools ect.
    David Lloyd is amaaaaaazing. :heart:
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    My gym is $50 a month, and I have access to my trainer and nutritionist for that. When I think about it, I think about "is my health and happiness worth $50 a month?" YES IT IS!
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I pay $0 a month because I use the "workout/fitness center" at my apartment complex. it's a small room that includes a stationary bike, an elliptical, a treadmill, free weights and one of those all in one weight machines. it does the job but i long to join a real gym. although now that i'm used to working out virtually alone or with maybe one other person, i might get pissed if people are in my space or if the gym is crowded.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    mine is $70 a month, id say $10 is pretty good especially if there are classes and its good quality gym!