young gal friends wanted

12346»

Replies

• arkansascountrygirl
    arkansascountrygirl Posts: 234 Member
    in doing some thinking I can understand all your points. poorly worded my request. part of my challenge in presenting was the fact the MFP forums are anti religious and if I were to put youth miinstery major looking to help those who struggle with eating disorders etc the thread would have been locked down. I am really sorry to everyone who was offended by my post. I am not a creepy person by any means I have a 10 year old daughter I don't allow her on the internet so I am certaintly not a creepy person. I learned from my mistake in the future will post on the eating disorder groups. my humble apologizes

sweet spirit
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    in doing some thinking I can understand all your points. poorly worded my request. part of my challenge in presenting was the fact the MFP forums are anti religious and if I were to put youth miinstery major looking to help those who struggle with eating disorders etc the thread would have been locked down. I am really sorry to everyone who was offended by my post. I am not a creepy person by any means I have a 10 year old daughter I don't allow her on the internet so I am certaintly not a creepy person. I learned from my mistake in the future will post on the eating disorder groups. my humble apologizes

sweet spirit
    Maybe I missed the "anti-religious" comments. Which ones were they?

Please do not make this into an anti-Christian martyr thing.

Thanks.
  • arkansascountrygirl
    what I meant was we are not allowed to say things like youth ministry major looking to support those with eating disorders. its is agsinst guidelines. I had to think of a different way to word it.
  • GasMasterFlash
    what I meant was we are not allowed to say things like youth ministry major looking to support those with eating disorders. its is agsinst guidelines. I had to think of a different way to word it.
    I invite you to peruse the Community Guidelines ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines ).

Mentioning your ministry or course of study is not against forum guidelines. Folks raised concerns about seeking out young girls, for whatever reason. it was not anti-religious.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I invite you to peruse the Community Guidelines ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines ).

Mentioning your ministry or course of study is not against forum guidelines. Folks raised concerns about seeking out young girls, for whatever reason. it was not anti-religious.

What she is saying is that she wanted to post in the main forums, but knew that religious topics was delegated to groups. She is going to school to counsel youths with eating disorders and wanted to openly invite individuals, in that age group, struggling with ED, who were looking for support. She was trying to post her open invitation without mentioning her religious affiliation, and it didn't work out so well for her.

She is not creepy and did not mean to be so everyone needs to get off their sanctimonious "to-catch-a-predator" high horses and cut this woman some slack!!
  • GasMasterFlash

What she is saying is that she wanted to post in the main forums, but knew that religious topics was delegated to groups. She is going to school to counsel youths with eating disorders and wanted to openly invite individuals, in that age group, struggling with ED, who were looking for support. She was trying to post her open invitation without mentioning her religious affiliation, and it didn't work out so well for her.

She is not creepy and did not mean to be so everyone needs to get off their sanctimonious "to-catch-a-predator" high horses and cut this woman some slack!!
    She said earlier that "the MFP forums are anti religious", and they aren't. My response was that there is no need to turn it into "everybody hates me because I'm religious".
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

She said earlier that "the MFP forums are anti religious", and they aren't. My response was that there is no need to turn it into "everybody hates me because I'm religious".

Well I don't think that is where she was trying to go with it. I think she was just referring to that rule about religion.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    When I was in grad school studying to be a therapist, if we were to present ourselves as in any way qualified to counsel people before we were certified by the state of Texas, that was grounds to be removed from the program and barred from any other programs. A first year pre-med student shouldn't diagnose, a first year psychology student shouldn't psychoanalyze, and a first year accounting major shouldn't, like... account for important stuff. You get my point.

With that said, I am a true "group groupie" (meaning I love the MFP groups and think that they are awesome places to support and be supported by people with similar interests/needs/ideologies). OP, perhaps a better idea than taking your request to the ED groups (where it can still - or even moreso - be perceived as a means of influencing vulnerable young women), you can find members who will understand and support your mission to help individuals in a Christian-based group. I say this because there are professionals who are trained to counsel ED sufferers. Operating under the same umbrella as those people even though you are a layperson can be dangerous for both you and the people you work with.

I feel that your passion and interests can be very useful if steered in the right direction. Here are some awesome places to start:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/281-christian-brothers-and-sisters
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1021-in-his-image
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1476-phillipians-4-13

Best wishes :heart:
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    I certainly didn't think she was claiming everyone hated her because she's religious. I got the point she was trying to make. She's apologized and tried to clear this up. Move along.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    I certainly didn't think she was claiming everyone hated her because she's religious. I got the point she was trying to make. She's apologized and tried to clear this up. Move along.
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, people make a post, others rip it to shreds, then laugh about it like its a joke to their friends...and then proceed to keep adding fuel to fire and then get their friends to come take a look... etc....

And then wonder why the nice, kind hearted people are few and far between in the world.
    Get over yourselves.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Sorry to see so much hatred. Obviously a lot of people with too much time on their hands. Move on and stop feeding fuel to the fire.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Delete
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    When I was in grad school studying to be a therapist, if we were to present ourselves as in any way qualified to counsel people before we were certified by the state of Texas, that was grounds to be removed from the program and barred from any other programs. A first year pre-med student shouldn't diagnose, a first year psychology student shouldn't psychoanalyze, and a first year accounting major shouldn't, like... account for important stuff. You get my point.

With that said, I am a true "group groupie" (meaning I love the MFP groups and think that they are awesome places to support and be supported by people with similar interests/needs/ideologies). OP, perhaps a better idea than taking your request to the ED groups (where it can still - or even moreso - be perceived as a means of influencing vulnerable young women), you can find members who will understand and support your mission to help individuals in a Christian-based group. I say this because there are professionals who are trained to counsel ED sufferers. Operating under the same umbrella as those people even though you are a layperson can be dangerous for both you and the people you work with.

I feel that your passion and interests can be very useful if steered in the right direction. Here are some awesome places to start:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/281-christian-brothers-and-sisters
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1021-in-his-image
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1476-phillipians-4-13

Best wishes :heart:

You are amazing and fantastical. Are you a unicorn? If you aren't, you should be.
  • dragonfly74
    I minister to youth teen girls and young adlut ladies with eating disoders , those who are abused and low self esteem that is what I am going to college for and want to offer support in that endeavor. read more closely.

I'm a little puzzled. Do you have expertise or training to help people with ED if you have said that you are trying to recover yourself? Most therapists or counselors do not announce their availability online in this manner (is it even ethical?), so if others are suspicious, there may be a valid reason.

Please. And you won't share a picture. Laughable.

Yes this was cloud2011 post that I am referring to that was deleted.
  • arkansascountrygirl
    I am in training for this. am recovering successfully even losing weight that is why I am reaching out to the young people to help them. thanks for asking
  • macpatti
    I'm a little puzzled. Do you have expertise or training to help people with ED if you have said that you are trying to recover yourself? Most therapists or counselors do not announce their availability online in this manner (is it even ethical?), so if others are suspicious, there may be a valid reason.
    You wouldn't be so puzzled if you took the time to read everything. She's a youth minister who already works with teens. She was reaching out to young adults here who have ED because that is her area of expertise. She has been directed to the groups, she found them, and has joined it there.
  • arkansascountrygirl
    thank you if you know of any other places I would appreciate it
  • macpatti

Yes, and cloud2011 deleted her/his post before I could reply. Glad I had yours to quote from!
  • dragonfly74

Yes, and cloud2011 deleted her/his post before I could reply. Glad I had yours to quote from!

Me too :)
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Hi Folks,

I think the conversation has run its course, but I did want to clarify one point of our guidelines.

Posting religious content in the main forums is perfectly acceptable, in most circumstances. Unfortunately, many posts with a religious nature do draw attacks from other members, and in attempting to moderate these issues it is sometimes necessary for us to lock a thread.

However, ideally, we live by this item from the guidelines, with respect to religious content on the forums:

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

So, posting about religion is OK, as long as the thread has room for replies from all members who wish to respond constructively. We would lock or move a post seeking input, say, only from one particular denomination. That's what Groups are for. But generally speaking, posts with religious themes are OK for the forums, as long as they are inclusive to participation from all members, and as long as everyone plays nicely (this latter is usually where the ideal breaks down, unfortunately).

Regards,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.