should she have her surgery paid for?

Options
http://now.msn.com/living/0327-fat-mom-surgery.aspx

what are your thoughts on this woman? do you think that she should get her surgery paid for?

maybe we should introduce her to this site. i don't know how i feel about this, especially after seeing so many wonderful successes on MFP. what do you guys think?

Replies

• jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    If this is the one that was in the UK papers today...Definately not..
  • 1300ABCD
    1300ABCD Posts: 1
    Options
    :smile: I DON'T THINK SHE SHOULD PAID FOR SURGERY I THINK SHE SHOULD JUST HAVE IT WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    NO WAY! :explode:

She didn't want to exercise or diet because it was too hard. It was in effect her own choice to get so big. Why should anyone else have to pay for that?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If she thinks dieting it 'too hard' and exercise 'hurts' then why does she think weightloss surgery will be any easier? She'll be in pain from the procedure, they'll be MAKING her stand up and walk around during recovery (absolute agony as she says she can't stand for more than 2 minutes), and she'll only be able to eat a fistfull of food at a time. She needs to get her mind right and learn to make better choices for her body. It would be great if she could get a nutritionist and a personal trainer, but plenty of people make a huge change for health and weightloss w/o having those luxuries OR weightloss surgery, she can do it too if she wants it that bad.

*Sorry if that sounds harsh. I don't judge people that have weightloss surgery, I just really don't think it's right for this woman's mindset.

ETA: Yes, OP, I think MFP would be great, but I'm not sure if she'd even go for it if she thinks dieting is too hard. Most people consider MFP to be 'a diet' and she would probably be turned off at having to log everything she eats. If she could get on board with doing that little bit of work, it would be great and she might get excited to see some progress and learn that it's not as hard as it seems and it completely worth it. But the bottom line is that none of us that needed to lose weight ever made it happen until we *really* wanted to, when we were committed to it. She needs to commit and realize it's going to be hard work.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    No f*cking way. She's just going to gain weight back. She's spending $300.00/week on fast food for her family. That's just pathetic.
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i agree - i think too many people assume that weight loss surgery is the end-all-be-all for losing weight. but, it's still hard work - you have to revamp your diet, and you will have to start exercising. plus, it sounds painful. i think this woman needs to start slow - even just a 5-minute walk, twice a day, would be a good beginning. and then, just start eating smaller portions. it's tough, but i think we all know that it's possible and worth it.
  • agrzybow
    agrzybow Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Actually, those weight loss surgeries often times help only short term - they are not a long term solution to the problem. The only way to make a long-lasting change is to change lifestyle (like using this site and exercising).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Paying for her to have surgery seems like setting a very expensive precedent. Plus, if diet and exercise are too hard for her she'll just need it again in a few years.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm annoyed that she wants it so she can go on holiday.

How can she afford to go on holiday at all if she's jobless and needs the surgery?
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i feel bad for her kids - i'm sure that her weight is also taking a toll on them...
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Paying for her to have surgery seems like setting a very expensive precedent.

^^ For sure. If that got into law books, it would be much easier for the next person to demand the surgery too.
    Plus, if diet and exercise are too hard for her she'll just need it again in a few years.

Exactly, the surgery isn't going to be a magic bullet that makes her into a healthy person.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    No, if she can't stick to a diet and exercise regimine before surgery than I find it doubtful in many ways that she will after. I would, however, agree to sending her to see a physical therapist or a personal trainer and a nutritionist. Maybe if she showed any inclination before hand that she honestly has a desire to shed the pounds I'd have a different perspective.

If it were her money it would be her decision, and she'd be more invested in the outcome. If she has no expenditure she has no investment in success.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I don't think the NHS should pay for this woman to have surgery, she should be put on a diet and exercise plan like the biggest loser and that is it, As a UK tax payer I object to funding the lazy and useless
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    She just wants a quick fix. She should work on herself to get healthy and then pass that lifestyale on to her kids or we'll be paying for their surgeries too. I have a neighbor that is bigger than this woman and it gets me sometimes that she recieves money from the Gov. to pay people to clean her home and take out her trash. There isn't anything wrong, except she is overweight and has a hard time walking because of it. My heart does go out to her that she is so bad off, but, she also isn't doing anything to help the situation. I think that if you're gonna get money from the Gov. for being overweight, and you are able, you should have to begin to eat healthy and do some type of exercise to show you are trying to get the weight off. Show that you are working toward being able to take care of yourself. It's one thing if your health is too poor, but to just continue to lay around and eat poorly and get paid for it, that's not right!
  • GenaItschner
    GenaItschner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    NO! She needs to accept some personal responsibility - sure exercise is hard. Too damn bad. Get moving.

Do chair exercises and water aerobics for 12-18 months to get a start on health.

Quit eating take-out food.

Eat appropriate calories and food groups. Stop with the junk food.

Sadly, it looks like at least two of her kids have started making poor food choices also.

The cycle will continue. Obese mother -> obese child.
  • GenaItschner
    GenaItschner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Plus, if she keeps going the way she's been, she won't be around much longer to mooch free stuff from the government.

Cold hard truth.
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    I think the article has a pretty opinionated tone! Although I do tend to agree with it.
    It doesn't mention any other health reasons preventing her from getting exercise. She apparently didn't get the memo that exercise isn't easy. Hmmm.
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    Plus, if she keeps going the way she's been, she won't be around much longer to mooch free stuff from the government.

Cold hard truth.

Oh snap! I was thinking that but didn't have the balls to say it! :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    She's exactly the type of person for whom weight-loss surgery will fail in a few years anyway.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    This makes me sick.