should she have her surgery paid for?

Options

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Paying for her to have surgery seems like setting a very expensive precedent. Plus, if diet and exercise are too hard for her she'll just need it again in a few years.

In the U.S. at least some insurance companies pay for gastric bypass surgeries. Which basically means anyone with health insurance pays for them.
  • smcesko
    smcesko Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Absolutely NOT!! This is pure BS! She needs to start making better choices. If she can't "stand" then sit and do exercises. Also what about her eating?? Takeout?? Seriously?? Make a HEALTHY list and have the family go to the store for crying out loud!! Change your eating habits and Move around!! There was a guy in Mexico that lost weight by moving around in his bed and changing his eating. He was 600lbs I think and couldn't get out of bed!! Some people want something for nothing! I work my butt off and still get the short end of the stick! At least I can instill morals within my children by being and example. This type of stuff just pisses me off!! They better not pay for her!!!!!!!!!! It wouldn't last anyway because she wouldn't have had to "EARN" it!!!!!!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Of course not.
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    I'm going to go with "F her, she did it to herself, she can undo it or f'ing pay for it herself like the rest of us."
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    nooo
  • nikki_att84
    nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i dont think she should ask tax payers to give her the money to have this surgery!! what about all the other obese people in the uk?? whos gonna pay for them???
    only by making some small changes she will b able to lose weight on her own!! enough for her to at least get herself a job so that she can afford a surgery herself!!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hell to the No.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I don't like having to read articles through links, but I usually suggest others to read them when I site them. I'm a hypocrite. But I'm going to say no.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I live in the United States, not the UK, so I feel like I don't have a right to have an opinion. But....

I get that she can't make meals because she "can't stand for more than two minutes at a time", so she orders take out often. It also seems to me that NOT having the surgery could have the effect of spending more money on medical care in the future.

She does have some mindset obstacles that SHOULD prevent a surgeon from agreeing to the operation. My doctor recommends WLS for me (at least he did several months ago... He actually seemed pleased with my progress when I saw him a couple of weeks age...), but I am afraid of the risks of surgery. My mother got blood clots in her lungs after gall bladder surgery. They blamed her weight. I'm thinking that LOTS of things are hereditary, and that I don't want to risk blood clots with elective surgery. My point? She seems to think WLS is easy, when it is actually very invasive and could cause complications. If she were aware of that, I doubt she'd think of diet as "too hard" (though exercise may be for a while, since she can't stand), though perhaps due to health issues may find it takes too long.

I hope she gets help to get her head together, and that when she does, she will be approved only for surgery if it is deemed advisable by both mental health professionals AND a GP / surgeon.

Edited to clarify second paragraph.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    ..i think too many people assume that weight loss surgery is the end-all-be-all for losing weight. but, it's still hard work - you have to revamp your diet, and you will have to start exercising...

I was actually amazed to find out it was possible to have bariatric surgery and still be fat. I never seriously looked into it, my awareness of the procedure was derived largely from 90s talk shows. This is not a great source of information, admittedly, but nothing I saw on TV ever communicated that weight loss surgery was not a guaranteed and permanent solution (with potentially horrific side effects.)
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
  • marydb0000
    Options
    If it were her money it would be her decision, and she'd be more invested in the outcome. If she has no expenditure she has no investment in success.

^^^^This
  • free2live72003
    Options
    Regardless of who pays for the surgery, this woman will most likely not be successful.

Especially after weight loss surgery, she MUST be willing to tackle the "hard" stuff--eating properly and exercise.

Weight loss surgery is not a magic pill.
  • chowderkat
    chowderkat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is strange. I mean, asking taxpayers to pay for your weight loss surgery? I mean, if she's that desperate, maybe she should create a fundraiser/event for people who *want* to pay for her surgery (and stop spending $300 a week on fast food).
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I would just like to say that I am glad no one has jumped to her defense. Thank you.

That being said, let me ask a followup to this: Is there any case where you feel that this type of surgery is justified?

I think that when it is done to save a person's life, it is justified - when death is iminent and the only option is surgery. I think if someone is willing to put in the work to get the surgery and they have results, they can get the results without the surgery.
  • Jamiecfc1
    Jamiecfc1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hmmm think a sponsored slimathon may be the best answer. Seriously? Why does she think we (UK taxpayers) should pay? Maybe she's kept all her fast food receipts as well, chuck them in and we'll fund those too. Sadly if she's too lazy to exercise and thinks dieting is too much like hard work she's a lost cause, she should try entering the next Biggest Loser, that way we don't have to pay and she might even win some cash...
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    umm if my tax dollars went to her weightloss surgery i'd probably go and punch her in the face!!! you cant help lazy....it only promotes more laziness...what kind of example is she setting for her children?!?! she needs to get off her high horse....life is HARD....she is a lost cause....she obviously wants an easy out...so she'll gain all the weight back plus more within a few months....
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Ok........ This woman is over 450 lbs. How many of you have been there? I have been relatively close. I was 342 at 22. It was suggested that I have the gastric bypass. Several of my family members had. I told them that because I was only 22, I wanted to try on my own for a year first and then reasses. It was a terrifying thought. I was afraid. I was afraid I would fail and HAVE to have surgery. I was afraid I would succeed and not be ABLE to have surgery. I was afraid I would be fat forever. I was afraid to be thin. It was all I had ever known and my whole world would either change drastically, or not at all. We have (mostly) all been here, just not to the same extent. I think many of us forget how frightening it is to start a change like this. We all had habits that got us to our top weights. We *knew* how to change them, but how many times did it seem like a futile attempt? How many times did we feel like we could never get out of this loop that was killing us. I do feel she should have some serious interventions first. Medically supervised, lab results, working with a dietician, a trainer..... hell...... I will pay my part for that. But, I will also pay my part for the surgery when she tries for 6 months and is still 400 lbs. To come from a place that high is daunting. It was scary for me at half her age and 100 lbs lighter. I wound up not needing it, but partly because I was so young and had so many years ahead of me to fix it. Were I in her situation, I may go the same route. I dont think she wants it merely to go on vacation, but to be afforded the opportunity to not be treated like a freak when she does. It is very hard to live like that. I feel like most of you have forgotten that feeling. I hope I never do. I hope I always understand that just because a person is in a self inflicted situation, doesn't mean it is not the scariest thing in the world to overcome.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Whether or not we think she should have it paid for, it will get paid for if she gets it done and it will be by the taxpayers if she doesn't fork out the money. That's the way it works. Sucks, but doctors and hospitals aren't going to usually offer free services.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    no, if I can't get that in loans for pharmacogenomics then why should she for some weightless loss