should she have her surgery paid for?

Options

Replies

• whitneysaenz
    whitneysaenz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! If she really wanted to lose weight she would actually try and eat healthy and at least try and walk/swim/something. If somebody has no will power or determination before surgery... what the hell makes them think that they will have any changes afterwards?

What a lunatic!
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    this is disgusting. i had lap band surgery in january to help me on my journey, but i still have to make the right choices. this woman is obviously an idiot looking for a "quick fix" that doesnt exist. i work for 6 months to get insurance to pay for my surgery, but asking tax payers to pay it?! wtf! its not their problem that your fat and too lazy to do anything about it. ugh.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    This woman is the kind of woman those who have had WLS despise. It would be the "cure all" when in all actuality she will fail miserably. If she wanted to do the surgery her whole life and attitude towards food would NEED to change, without that she will not get that far. Then oh heavens - she would actually have to WORK at it instead of it being handed to her on a plate (pun intended).

This woman should not expect anyone to pay for her or her inability to control herself - that is not anyone elses issue, solely hers. So she needs to suck it up and pull up her big girl panties and do something for herself for a change (aka get off her butt and do it movin)
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    No. She thinks that's the quick fix. She's not invested in changing her lifestyle, so what's the point? Within months she'll be putting the weight back on.
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    maybe she wants taxpayers to pay for it because insurance won't at least in the US you have to go on a weight loss program first and attempt to lose weight before getting surgery approved. If the article is true her mind is not right because weight loss surgery maintenance and the strictness of how you have to eat is more work then just diet and exercise. She needs to pay for it herself that is not a taxpayer issue.
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm annoyed that she wants it so she can go on holiday.

How can she afford to go on holiday at all if she's jobless and needs the surgery?

Exactly. How about use the $300 on a gym membership and workout equipment.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    No. She thinks that's the quick fix. She's not invested in changing her lifestyle, so what's the point? Within months she'll be putting the weight back on.

Agreed. Weight loss surgery won't work for someone who isn't committed to the process of changing their lifestyle habits.
  • itecson
    itecson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No. Reasons:

1) she will set a bad example for her children who may also find themselves in a similar situation in the future - further costing taxpayers money.

2) while the weight loss is important, the journey there does wonders for one's confidence, mentality, and overall positive view of how to handle life's obstacles outside of fitness.

3) if taxpayers did pay for her surgery, this would remove her personal responsibility, and all other individuals in her situation (or any situation) for which they claim to have no control over. imagine the costs.

4) it's not so much losing the weight, but keeping it off. Losing the weight through exercise and proper diet will condition your mind and body to burn those calories and only take what your body needs.

that's just my 2 cents...

Aloha!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Wow. When I thought about WLS I learned that I would have to be on a diet for a year before ins would pay for it and I thought, "Heck if I can stick to a diet for a year, why would I need surgery?" and so I got off my butt and did what I needed to do.

Giving her a freebie surgery isn't doing anyone any favors.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    She sounds like a lazy bum to me. Screw you lady. Many people can't take vacations, so why should their taxes should pay for your surgery so you can fly somewhere?

Yeah, I'm bitter about lazy people wanting free things.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Wow. When I thought about WLS I learned that I would have to be on a diet for a year before ins would pay for it and I thought, "Heck if I can stick to a diet for a year, why would I need surgery?" and so I got off my butt and did what I needed to do.

Giving her a freebie surgery isn't doing anyone any favors.

sevencallmemo - Good for you! You make a very good point. =)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    No surgeon would touch her. You need to make an actual documented effort to maintain a healthy lifestyle before you will even be considered for surgery. I don't think she has any idea that an actual EFFORT is required. I think if someone actually explained that she will actually need to WORK, she'd be a lot less interested.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    This might be harsh, but of course exercise is going to "hurt", if you keep trying it WON'T. Yeah dieting is "hard" but you're addicted, it's not going to be easy. Seriously people....
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Hell no she shouldn't have it paid for by taxpayers. Plenty of people have a bunch of kids and don't become incapacitated by their weight (I'm looking at you, Michelle Duggar). I don't think it's the taxpayers responsibility to pay for her laziness.

And before I get the whole "fat doesn't mean lazy" thing, I agree with that, but this woman is truly unwilling to do the work, and that my friends, is lazy.
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    this is disgusting. i had lap band surgery in january to help me on my journey, but i still have to make the right choices. this woman is obviously an idiot looking for a "quick fix" that doesnt exist. i work for 6 months to get insurance to pay for my surgery, but asking tax payers to pay it?! wtf! its not their problem that your fat and too lazy to do anything about it. ugh.

That is really harsh coming from a fellow WLS person......were you too "lazy" to do anything about YOUR weight? I think it's very unfair to classify someone as lazy because they are obese.

I won't debate the rest of it....WLS 10 years ago allowed me to lose 120 pounds, which I have maintained. Occasionally, around the holidays, I go up a bit...but then I come to MFP and get back "on program" (every one needs a healthy eating plan that they follow....EVERY ONE, surgery or not) and I lose those few pounds. So WLS long term success CAN be achieved, but only if you change your mindset about eating, exercising and make it for LIFE.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I would just like to say that I am glad no one has jumped to her defense. Thank you.

That being said, let me ask a followup to this: Is there any case where you feel that this type of surgery is justified?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I feel like some people here don't understand what's meant by having the taxpayers to pay for this.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I think she should have to be on a medically supervised diet for 6 months first. Work with a nutritionist, blood work, supervised exercise........... then, after she has proven that she is capable of making the changes, maybe have it done.......
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    NO!!!! I know several people who had WLS and were not better for it.. they gained the weight back and tons more- or they ended up with major health issues.. it's a quick -short term fix and that's all. If she is going to get help it should be a diet and exercise program