should she have her surgery paid for?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    my weight loss surgery was a failure due to me expanding my stomach back to normal

Best mistake I ever made though. I love to eat and I love to eat a lot...you just have to learn how to control it!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Not only NO, but HELL NO.
    Maybe if she asked them to pay for a gym membership and classes with a nutritionist it would be different.
    But with that attitude she'll have the surgery, and a few years she'll look just like she does today.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I live in Toronto, a city like most, with affluence and poverty. My heart breaks when I read stories of parents working three jobs at minimum wage to put food on the table for their kids. My heart breaks of stories of seniors that can't afford their rent, and are evicted with no where to go. Thousands in my own city visit food banks each week just to have something to eat.

My stomach turns when I read a story about a woman who has not yet grown up. She's spent her entire life satisfying her own needs and wants, and now that she wants to "go on holiday", figures the good taxpayers of the UK should pony up because she's too lazy to get her fat *kitten* off the couch and exercise?

I pray the politicians there are strong willed enough to put 22,000 pounds into school lunch or nutrition programs, and feed kids that truly have an empty stomach, and leave her six kids and husband to figure out how to pay for her surgery.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    No one in their right mind would binge their way to extreme body weights.
    People are having a lot of different surgeries paid by your tax dollars that are probably also self-inflicted. Who gets to make the choice which one is worthy?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather see the money spent on residential (or intensive outpatient) eating disorder treatment, one that includes wellness education on nutrition and skills training etc, and I agree with the person who said that the journey does so much for your confidence and self-esteem. After those steps, if medically necessary, sure.
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that she needs to try to do it on her own first.

I had surgery myself, but for reasons of my own. I paid for it myself.

I still struggle with my food choices. It is a MENTAL thing, the surgery is just a TOOL to help, like a treadmill, not a "magical quick fix".

If it was a magical cure all, would I really be on this site, diligently tracking my food and exercise? No.

As far as this woman is concerned, maybe its time for her family to step up and learn how to cook and help her get up and move around. Would be exercise for them too. Not that difficult, if I can do it, anyone can do it. Get mom a couple tins of sausage taped together to lift as weights. She might feel good, cause its food. There are always other ways to do things, and I don't think she deserves a free ride.