• Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    This again? Really?

RollingEyesGIF.gif
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever been rude to a cashier unless they treated me poorly to begin with. HOWEVER, I have talked back to that canned voice at the self checkout - she is totally rude and pushy!! LOL

LOL so true. I have too. Please take your items. Please take your change. Please leave immediately. I really don't care that you brought your own bags and are still bagging.

I mean seriously. That is not good customer service.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    For me, these are the most divisive threads ever. Worse than the racial ones. May I kindly recommend this idea of a place to rant by cashiers be taken to a private group? Just for my own sanity. As a shopper. Okay as a shopaholic?

you could probably just stay out of the thread

leave her alone she is shopping around. haha
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I don't understand some of these complaints by the cashiers...why would I hate the first customer of the day? They didn't do jack squat to make you hate them! Even the lady that gave me attitude today, I was still polite and still did my job and still told her thank you, have a nice day, etc. even though she was chalk full of attitude.

For background, there are impulse towers at the cash wrap, there are two places to start a line. At the time, there was just one very obvious long line out of just one side. The other was empty. This customer walked into the empty part and tried to cut in front of everyone and I politely said, "I'm sorry ma'am, the line is actually right there behind those customers." She huffed and rolled her eyes and started yelling how the hell was she supposed to know that, there's two parts to stand in, how the hell was she supposed to figure it out, etc. I politely told her "I understand it can be confusing, ma'am, and that's why I informed you where the line is." When she eventually got to my line she was still just as mad, but I didn't treat her any differently.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I was a cashier as my first job and a few others down the road. It definitely helped to solidify my desire to get out of retail.

- Put your money in the cashier's hands. Cashiers don't make you scrape your change off the counter, so don't make them scrape your payment from there either.

The only time it ticks me off is when you have your hand patiently waiting for the change & they still throw it in the counter.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I used to be a cashier back in the day when kids could buy smokes for parents with a note supposedly written by a parent.
    The only bad thing I can remember are the teenagers who thought they could steal candy bars without even really hiding it because I was a teenager and shouldn't care. I kicked a lot of them after yelling at them and some were banned by the maanger thinking I wouldn't care if they came in on my shift. So glad it was corner store and the manager didn't mind if I yelled at people who deserved it (only shoplifters, I was nice to everyone else).
    Cashiers today, please don't act like you're doing me favour by honouring the sale price tag on the shelf for an item. I don't care if your register brought up a higher price, that isn't my problem. Do your job and give me the item for free as stated in the scanning code of practice which your store displays at the register and customer service desk. Hem and haw all you want, but see how you realized that you had no choice? All other cashiers at this store automatically go, ooops, sorry, looks like you get that item for free (or $10 off if it is over $10), not just try to make the price be what it was supposed to be. This lady actually acted all put out because I said "Scanning code of practice? It is free now, right?" and sighed, said "oh... alright..." then had attitude the rest of the transaction. This was today, might actually complain about this one.

Yes, please complain because you got your item at the price you were supposed to get it instead of free. Wow.

I got it free because the store follows the scanning code of practice. All other cashiers do it with no issue. Yes, it is something to complain about when someone is reluctant to follow store policy and has an attitude about it, It doesn't matter what that policy is, you grin and bear it if you don't like it or get a new job.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Oh oh also. If you come to the fast food restaurant I work in and you ask for salt to put on your food, I judge you *so* hard. It's already got a ton in!

Also I hate people who have a massssive wodge of notes (UK, so it's not like they could be $1 bills) that they rifle through trying to find one to pay with. Yes, I've been there before where I happen to have three 20s in my purse and that's all so I have to pay for something that's like £1.99 with one, but why would anyone carry more than £200 just in their regular billfold thing?

What? Now we can't ask for salt or have money? Are. You. Serious?

^^ you are one of THOSE customers I take it....ick.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    It is not our fault you cannot read a sign. You are not entitled to a discount because you refuse to read a sign. Just because there is a sale sign within sight distance of the item you are purchasing does not mean it is on sale. READ.

I actually did once get a discount, because the cashier had to admit it was *impossible* to know what was what from the signage.

You know, it occurs to me that cashiers hate people treating them as a uniform or cog, which is fair enough. At the same time, it sounds like customers get treated by cashiers as a wash of miserable humanity. I guess sometimes it can't be helped with the sheer volume of transactions. But I think you can introduce humanity into things, by treating customers as individuals, too, if you can. If I have time & there's not a massive line, I almost always have a short conversation with the person at the cash, or at least exchange a smile, and I definitely respond more positively when they are themselves pleasant and cool-headed.

edit: and there are definitely people like that, I can think of three specific cashiers I regularly see, off the top of my head, who are *always* cheerful and nice, even though they probably don't love their jobs. And I feel like that is a pleasant little moment in my day, and appreciate it.

probably it comes down to staffing (eg not enough = sad/mad people)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    As far as the staring at the boobs thing is concerned: that's where you're wearing a nametag. Unless I already know your name, if I'm to have a civil conversation with you, I will look at the name tag provided in order to learn that name. Please do not get uppity at me for glancing at your nametag for two seconds in order to fulfill your other requirement about talking to you like a human being.

-signed, the voice of experience.
  • alwaysangel85
    Options
    I am a Wal-Mart cashier, working part time while in school. My BIGGEST pet peeve. If it says 20 Items or Less, DO NOT come to my line with 30+ items!!! 25 is pushing it, but I won't care. But when you have a cart full it's ridiculous.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I was a cashier as my first job and a few others down the road. It definitely helped to solidify my desire to get out of retail.

- Put your money in the cashier's hands. Cashiers don't make you scrape your change off the counter, so don't make them scrape your payment from there either.
    I use to accidentally on purpose drop a few coins which makes them scramble to pick it up. Only if they put the money on the counter instead of in my waiting hand.
    LMAO - me too!
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I used to work 3rd shift at a gas station. I had pretty much all those same complaints.

However, this *almost* inspires me to make a page about "Tips From a 911 Dispatcher/Rant." I say "almost," because if my bosses got ahold of it, I'd be in trouble. I'll just give this one:

When I ask you for the location/details of the call, "JUST GET HERE NOW!" is not a valid response.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Very interesting to see both sides. I have only worked retail for a brief time but plenty of time working with the public and in customer service. I think you lose a lot of faith in humanity when you see how dumb and rude a lot of people can be. But as a customer I have more positive experiences. I'm the customer that is always ready with my wallet out and any coupons out and ready. I hate getting stuck in slow lines and behind people who are unprepared.

Target and Walgreens are my favorite places to shop and that is partly because of how quick the checkouts are. I have noticed that if the Target lines get a little long they will call other people up. Walmart never does that. It's really a joke how it's public knowledge that the Walmart checkouts are few and slow and they don't care enough to do anything about it. Walgreens isn't as busy and if there is a line there is usually someone in photo or beauty depts who will take you. I haven't had too many bad cashiers and most are very friendly. Like when I got the watermelon oreos at Target my cashier said he loved watermelon candy too and would have to get some. I thought that was funny because just about everyone else I told them about said ew.
  • msuspartan10
    msuspartan10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It is not our fault you cannot read a sign. You are not entitled to a discount because you refuse to read a sign. Just because there is a sale sign within sight distance of the item you are purchasing does not mean it is on sale. READ.

I actually did once get a discount, because the cashier had to admit it was *impossible* to know what was what from the signage.

You know, it occurs to me that cashiers hate people treating them as a uniform or cog, which is fair enough. At the same time, it sounds like customers get treated by cashiers as a wash of miserable humanity. I guess sometimes it can't be helped with the sheer volume of transactions. But I think you can introduce humanity into things, by treating customers as individuals, too, if you can. If I have time & there's not a massive line, I almost always have a short conversation with the person at the cash, or at least exchange a smile, and I definitely respond more positively when they are themselves pleasant and cool-headed.

And that's fine and dandy. I'm talking about the ones where the sale says like, 6 pack of cottonelle is on sale and a person comes with a 15 pack of charmin since it was next to the cottonelle stuff.

Threads like these give cashiers a chance to vent their frustrations. I have only been short with a customer once or maybe twice in the year that I've been there so I just have all these annoyance seething in the back of my head.

The thing that nice, respectful people don't understand is how rude and mean and disrespectful people can really be. I didn't know either until I started working here. But there's also perfectly nice and respectful customers, too. Just like there are rude and unprofessional cashiers, there are cashiers that work through the frustration with a smile.

Oh and to the wonderfully educated person that had the luck to get a job that pays all their bills and doesn't need a second one, some of us did go to college and *GASP* actually DO have a degree. Sometimes living alone in a city with a high cost of living with a career doesn't pay enough, you do what you have to do. Which doesn't mean you get to be a condescending jerk because you think you're more educated than me since I'm working minimum wage.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Rant about cashiers:

Stop telling me how many hours until you go home. You applied for the job, it's not indentured servitude.

Smile. It increases your face value.

Chatting is ok, but I don't need your life story.

Drop the "I hate people attitude".

Men, pull up your pants. I don't need to see your drawers.

Don't diss the prior customer. It tells me you'll diss me after I'm gone.

Check to see if you gave me ALL OF MY BAGS,

On the other hand:

To the lady who smiles, bless you, my friend!

To the cashier who is nice to my son, you have a heart of gold!

To the person who stops me from leaving my groceries, keys, etc., thank you so much!

To the hard working non-complainer, I admire you!
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I find emails and such like this just whining. Why? If you do not like your job or where you work it is simple....move on. If you are not happy being a cashier, go to college progress in life.

Some of us are in school and need a part-time job to help pay our bills... As I said in my post, not all of us are uneducated idiots.

I just believe these are stepping stone jobs. That is why they pay minimum wage, they are a starting point. These jobs give one invaluable lessons in life, and experiences. Few that come to mine is honesty, customer service, counting of money, etc. Most importantly it leads one to strive for more in life.

I have worked TONS of jobs, never a cashier but I was a cook at a fast food restaurant. It taught me to want more, gain experience, move on. I am a white collar professional, and I still want more.

I realize not everyone has the mental aptitude, or are entering the work force, have it as a PT job, starting over. I am not bad mouthing the job or the people that hold these jobs. I am just a bit sour at all the complaining about Tips from waitresses, cashier complaints, customer service complaints, HR stories (I admit these are entertaining). Don't you think every profession could complain?
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I find emails and such like this just whining. Why? If you do not like your job or where you work it is simple....move on. If you are not happy being a cashier, go to college progress in life.

Instead of emails like this I would rather read something like this.... to the last customer in the store when I was at the cash register, THANK YOU. It was you who made me realize what dead end job I had. Since then I moved on to college and now I am a high priced lawyer....

First off, this isn't an e-mail. Secondly, a lot of people work these jobe WHILE in college in order to pay for college. Shocking information, I know.

I am sure the poster didnt type these up from scratch. I have read several complaint emails about different professions. Again I think I answered your questions/concerns before reading your response. These jobs pay min wage because they are not in high demand, they require no experience, no education, etc.

That is the cold hard facts, I am not being an &*^&*^*. I know ALLOT about labor markets, positions country wide, and several other countries for US Expats.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Don't you think every profession could complain?

Yes, and they do. Have you ever been in a teacher's lounge? Or a break room at a Fortune 100 company? Yes, I'm a teacher by trade (what I'm getting my Master's in at the moment, and will be doing once I start my job in Moscow), and worked at a Fortune 100 company for three years before moving. People everywhere complain. This is just a fun little thread that I think of as a sort of break room for cashiers around the world. How is it any different from venting around the water cooler, other than being a bit more permanent?

I don't hate my job. It's actually fun. Hell, I get to talk to people about liquor all day, but sometimes it's nice to vent to people who share the same experiences.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    That's all fine and good and I can agree with some of it having been a cashier a long time ago.

My problem is the baggers. If they put my bread in with the butter one more time I'm going to lose my mind. Also cold foods go together, boxes go together, cans go together. Please do not put my meat, on the rare occasion that I buy it at the grocery, in the same bag as my produce. That is all.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I think it was Drew Carey that had a bit that went something like this: You hate your job? There is a support group for that. It's called Everybody. They meet down at the bar.

I don't hate my job actually, but if they didn't pay me I wouldn't do it.