Married guys who lift weights at the gym...

Options

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I wear my wedding band more often than not when I lift. I do need to get it resized due to it being too big since losing weight though.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy but I always take off my rings when working out even if just going out for a run. Calluses are not attractive on girls.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I know this is for guys, but I take mine off to exercise, clean, or garden. I was in the military and it is just too ingrained in me to take it off when doing anything where it could cause an injury or ruin my ring.
  • joey200for2
    joey200for2 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I take mine off when i'm lifting but i wear it doing cardio. I don't want to mess it up or lose a finger!
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both wear our rings when lifting at the gym... But we also wear gloves... His ring is made of Tungsten so it wouldn't get scratched even if he didn't wear gloves..
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I do a bit of lifting at the gym, not nearly as much as I'd like and yes I do keep my ring on, I don't think I would ever take it off!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I do a bit of lifting at the gym, not nearly as much as I'd like and yes I do keep my ring on, I don't think I would ever take it off!

so sweet. :love: (and I mean that in a non-homewrecking way)
  • theleftie
    theleftie Posts: 366
    Options
    Wait - are we talking about ALL rings - or just rings on your fingers?
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but I lift heavy.. and I keep my ring on. Of course, it's a simple gold band. I even keep it on to do deadlifts, so if there's an excuse others give for the ring pinching them, etc, it's not true. Or why are you at the gym if you can't take a tiny pinch on the palm?

I bet your jeweler hates you.

Heavens no! As a jewelers wife I love seeing this. ;)
    <sends business card>
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I always took mine off when I gym ratted. Mainly because I didnt want to damage them. If I am just running on the treadmill or something Id leave it on but weights are a different story. I think its a personal preference and everyones different... and i doubt most guys take off their rings...or girls... because they want to appear single at the gym. (although im also sure there are some that do...)
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't because mine was bent so bad doing heavy deads we had to find some pliers to bend it back before my finger turned black from no circulation. Thought we were gonna have to cut it off. Little pinch my @zz...lol.Go heavy or go home!

misc-got-a-badass-over-here.jpg&sa=X&ei=yDBzT-uGLaa22gX5t-DRDg&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFY8bjX3Ln6yMLADfP4LQuwwhwFsA
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Not an issue.

When I got married we agreed that I did not have to wear a ring. I didn't wear jewelry before I got married and I wasn't going to start after.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Not a guy, but for me, it's not that they pinch, it's the fact that with my weight loss my rings have gotten some spare room. With that, the pinching actually causes the white gold to bend. After having my rings fixed, reshaped and a garnet replaced in my mother's ring, I decided it was safer to leave them at home rather than destroy them.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I always take mine off when in the gym.. it buries into my finger too much when I am lifting. and with weight loss it has come off my hand while running...

This and lately I'm afraid Ill lose it so I keep it on my key chain
  • bwmiller1
    bwmiller1 Posts: 98
    Options
    i don't wear it to the gym nor when i play hockey. But I let my wife know that i'm leaving it at home during those times. Too many scratches from the bar/dumbells. and in the sauna, it can get pretty hot.
  • dreweth
    dreweth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No reason why I ask this... I promise. It's just an innocent question. :blushing: :bigsmile:

Do you wear your ring when you lift weights?? I would imagine it's a hassle taking it off and putting it back on but I also imagine it could hurt or get in the way when you work out.

I take it off during any strenuous exercise, not just weight lifting. I only have two pieces of "jewelry", my ring and my watch, and they both come off when it is exercise time so they are not damaged or distracting.
  • LowKal
    LowKal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    <
    Married & I don't wear my ring to the gym.

I have a tungsten ring, pretty big, & it gets in the way. I do, however, wear it everywhere else.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The knurls on the barbell will mess up my ring, so no.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I used to always wear mine when I was younger. That was until my jeweler literally yelled at me after the 5th reshape. I took it off from that point forward.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    My husband takes his off. I usually wear mine but I notice the callus forms on the palm under my ring finger, which I thought was because of my ring but in the Starting Strength book Mark Rippetoe says ring wearers will get a callus there even if they don't wear their ring while lifting.