Married guys who lift weights at the gym...

Options
La_Amazona
La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
No reason why I ask this... I promise. It's just an innocent question. :blushing: :bigsmile:

Do you wear your ring when you lift weights?? I would imagine it's a hassle taking it off and putting it back on but I also imagine it could hurt or get in the way when you work out.

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but I lift heavy.. and I keep my ring on. Of course, it's a simple gold band. I even keep it on to do deadlifts, so if there's an excuse others give for the ring pinching them, etc, it's not true. Or why are you at the gym if you can't take a tiny pinch on the palm?
  • carpp107
    carpp107 Posts: 99
    Options
    Nope....Don't wear mine....I've bent and scratched mine really bad lifting with it and that was the ending of wearing it while training.......
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I always take mine off when in the gym.. it buries into my finger too much when I am lifting. and with weight loss it has come off my hand while running...
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I do, but I have quite a callous just below it on my hand. It occasionally pinches too. I'm not worried about scratches, it's Tungsten Carbide. It probably scratches the bar!

JM
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but I lift heavy.. and I keep my ring on. Of course, it's a simple gold band. I even keep it on to do deadlifts, so if there's an excuse others give for the ring pinching them, etc, it's not true. Or why are you at the gym if you can't take a tiny pinch on the palm?

whatever. my ring pinches the FU@K out of me. but i gues i'm just a liar. Or a big wimp who can't take a pinch.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was wondering If was going crazy or having water retention issues. I haven't lost a huge amount of weight yet, but my rings don't fit me most days, unless I am swelling from water. I've considered getting a temporary sizer screwed in to them until I lose all the weight I need to.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I know this question is for guys, but I take off my engagement ring ANY time I exercise. I don't want to risk damaging it or losing it, plus, my fingers swell when I get hot.
    I was wondering If was going crazy or having water retention issues. I haven't lost a huge amount of weight yet, but my rings don't fit me most days, unless I am swelling from water. I've considered getting a temporary sizer screwed in to them until I lose all the weight I need to.

Yep - mine is already on the verge of not being able to stay on (apparently the 5 pounds I've lost so far came straight from my fingers), but I'll wear a ring guard and wait to get it re-sized until the end of the year, closer to my wedding. I don't want to get it sized, then lose more weight, just to have it need sized again.
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I was married I never wore my ring in the gym, for multiple reasons. The knurling on the bars scratch the heck out of jewelery, particularly soft gold. I never liked the way my grip felt on a bar when I was wearing a ring and there was always the possibility of catching it on something and causing an injury. I would recommend to anyone lifting free weights to remove all rings and bracelets before working out.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I take off all my jewelry while I'm changing for the gym, including my rings. No sense in having it pinch or potentially get banged up.
  • shawnp80134
    Options
    I take mine off, it ends up just hurting and scratching.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Why would I take it off? It's a total chick magnet.

On a serious note, my ring isn't very wide, so it kinda hides right here in the crease when I bend my fingers. So it never makes contact with the weights.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm neither married, nor a man, but if I do lift heavy and if I had a wedding or engagement band (you know, if my bf would get his *kitten* together and propose haha) I would definitely take it off. One, I imagine it would scratch the band pretty badly while lifting, 2 I'm sure it'd be uncomfortable (I don't wear any jewelry while working out except stud earrings), and 3 I'd hate to get sweaty and it slip off or something.

I rarely see men or anyone lifting wearing rings, I'm assuming simply for the functionality.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    I'm a woman - married and I have to take my rings off as they do pinch, but then I do have 4 rings i wear on 3 different fingers (2 on wedding ring finger and my husbands wedding band on my middle finger opposite hand and a signet ring on my ring finger, didn't at first but the heavier I lift the harder it gets

My husband can't wear his ring to work as he could loose his finger due to it, he's a stone mason and if it caught on a stone it could do some damage, so I wear it
  • dukes418
    dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    other than a sportswatch, I don't wear jewlery.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy but I cannot wear mine. I have little "balls" inside to keep them from twisting because I have big knuckles :-) and it HURTS. I can't wear them kickboxing either if we are punching bags. I still know I'm married :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My husband has ruined 2 rings, nice ones, by lifting stuff (not at the gym, but moving stuff for work or whatever). I'm done replacing them :sad: I would say that taking them off is a safe bet.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Yo!

I never wear my rings to the gym...once I get warmed up and my hands start swelling...3 rings are a real ***** to get off.!

Certainly don't wear them when I lift either....I don't see many people wearing jewelry in general.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Married woman here - I do take my rings off if I'm lifting heavy. It hurts!!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't because mine was bent so bad doing heavy deads we had to find some pliers to bend it back before my finger turned black from no circulation. Thought we were gonna have to cut it off. Little pinch my @zz...lol.Go heavy or go home!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I tried to wear my "leave me alone " ring once but it annoyed me. I have small hands and need all the grip I can get.