Ladies, when did you see strength training results?

Options
megmay2591
megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
Hello! I had my first weight training session on Tuesday and it's very exciting. I'm wondering, how long it took some of you to see any results? I'm training twice a week.

Tuesdays:

Warm up is 10 minutes of Cardio and stretch

Chest Back and Core
Barbell Bench Press 3x10 -- Seated Row 3x10
Barbell Incline Press 3x10 -- Lat. Pull Downs (wide grip) 3x10
Dumbbell Chest Flies 3x10 -- Front & Lateral Raises 2x10
Any Core activity you want 3x20

And then on Thursdays:

Legs and Arms
Leg Extensions 3x10 -- Bicep Curls 3x10-15
Leg Curls 3x10 --Tricep pull downs 3x10-15
Leg Press (Squat) 3x10 -- Over head Tricep Extensions 3x10
Any Core Activity you want 3x20

Any idea if I'll see results in a few weeks, longer? Or what? I plan on increasing the weight every week.

ETA: I'm eating a minimum of 1500 cals per day, yesterday I burned 511 during my strength training and ate all of them back. My TDEE is around 1900-2200.

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    It was a few years ago I started but I wanna say it took about a month for me to start seeing changes.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I start feeling amazing after as little as 2 weeks. It takes more than a month for me to see a weight loss or inch loss from it, but it DOES happen.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I start feeling amazing after as little as 2 weeks. It takes more than a month for me to see a weight loss or inch loss from it, but it DOES happen.

Same with me
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I started seeing definition in my arms & shoulders about 2 weeks after beginning ChaLEAN Extreme. Now I notice changes almost weekly since I'm getting into heavier weights :happy:
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred about 13 days ago (on level 2 now) and I can already tell a difference in my arms. Pants are loose also. I've been doing it 6 days a week though and it is cardio and strength but only about 25 - 30 minutes including the warm up and cool down..
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Ditto. I think it also depends on how much body fat you have starting out and where you carry your fat. I saw my arms and legs really tone up and shape up first. The abs/chest are much harder for me, but I'm seeing good changes there now too.
  • noiva
    noiva Posts: 94
    Options
    Might have to snag your routine...I'm trying to find a good place to start with weights!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I started seeing results after 2weeks
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My first month I did a strength training class 3x/wk and a strength&conditioning class 2x/wk and after three weeks I lost 1 1/2" off my hips. I gained weight at first but lost inches simultaneously and the weight came off and then some in my second month.
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred about 13 days ago (on level 2 now) and I can already tell a difference in my arms. Pants are loose also. I've been doing it 6 days a week though and it is cardio and strength but only about 25 - 30 minutes including the warm up and cool down..
    I could not continue the shred due to wrist issues... but just on level one i can see the arms shaping up...
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Just a few weeks with my arms/shoulders/back.....still waiting on my hips and butt to catch up :). I've lost two pant sizes in my waist from heavy lifting (no actual ab work).
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I started seeing results after 7 weeks. But for the first 4 weeks, I was not eating enough, which was a mistake. I started eating higher calories plus my calories burn in my 5th week. Now in my 7th week I can see a flatter tummy and abs!!!! You have to feed those muscles!!!!
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    I got inch loses straight away but only just noticed muscle definition and that's 2 months later
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    TAKE PHOTOS!!!! AND MEASURE!!! I was silly and didn't do that in the beginning.. I regret it now because i know I had serious results but I don't know to what extent exactly...
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Strength changes: Immediately. I enjoy training for strength as it is instantly gratifying to progressively load and see the weights I'm lifting go up every workout.

Minor changes in looks: 2 weeks. I definitely started noticing veins popping up in my hands and feet that I didn't know I had before, my collarbones became more prominent. I started noticing definition in my shoulders, triceps and quads. Not huge differences but enough that I noticed.

Weight: A month. Now that my diet is a lot more consistent and on point, the weight is definitely coming off a lot easier.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Hmmm not sure if you would see much results fast -- what are you lifting - meaning lbs.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the kind of results you're looking for. It took me close to 2 months of heavy lifting to see and feel a difference in my body.

My favorite result, though, has been the change in my confidence and interest in fitness. I feel AWESOME about being one of the only ladies in the weight section. I love being strong. I love feeling physically fit. I love the feeling of being able to lift a little bit more than I did last time. I love eating a full, (mostly) healthy, 2000+ calorie diet to support my lifting. That result has been gradual, but has meant everything to me.

And no, I didn't get bulky :laugh:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

Ditto. I think it also depends on how much body fat you have starting out and where you carry your fat. I saw my arms and legs really tone up and shape up first. The abs/chest are much harder for me, but I'm seeing good changes there now too.

Yep. I'm a pear so the top half of me starts looking incredible very shortly after starting any kind of exercise. My butt / hips though are flabby and stubborn and hopefully will eventually be awesome like my belly / chest / arms.
  • angelajo01
    Options
    I could not continue the shred due to wrist issues... but just on level one i can see the arms shaping up...

Do you think it's ok to do the 30DS every other day and still get the same results?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!