Ladies, when did you see strength training results?

Options

Replies

• SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    When I first started doing ChaLean Extreme I felt stronger after the first week! :)
  • shesajoy
    shesajoy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My first month I did a strength training class 3x/wk and a strength&conditioning class 2x/wk and after three weeks I lost 1 1/2" off my hips. I gained weight at first but lost inches simultaneously and the weight came off and then some in my second month.

This is what has always happened to me, which is why I did NOT like Weight Watchers ... I don't want a sad face when I log in my weight, thanks very much!! Strength training is what shrinks the fat. Muscle is heavy. Keep that in mind. It's a good thing to see a little gain when starting strength!
  • andigurl513
    Options
    It's really different for every person. Depends a lot on how heavy you are lifting (do you max out at 6-8 reps or are you still going at 12-15). What's you bodyfat % like? The higher fat percentage you have, the longer it's takes to actually see definiteion in your muscles.
    For me, once I got back to really lifting after I had my son recently, it took a few months to really see definite changes in my body. I'm also a big person (6'1" and over 200lbs) so it usually takes a long time to see changes.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and about weekly i see a new muscle popping uplol its so exciting
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred about 13 days ago (on level 2 now) and I can already tell a difference in my arms. Pants are loose also. I've been doing it 6 days a week though and it is cardio and strength but only about 25 - 30 minutes including the warm up and cool down..
    I could not continue the shred due to wrist issues... but just on level one i can see the arms shaping up...

Do you think it's ok to do the 30DS every other day and still get the same results?

I did it every day and lost 13inches
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have 30% body fat I'm 5'4" and 142 lbs.

Chest Back and Core
    Barbell Bench Press 3x10 = just the bar
    Seated Row 3x10 = not sure, there were two red weights on either side...
    Barbell Incline Press 3x10 = just the bar
    Lat. Pull Downs (wide grip) 3x10 = 50lbs
    Dumbbell Chest Flies 3x10 =10lbs
    Front & Lateral Raises 2x10 = 10lbs
    Any Core activity you want 3x20 = abdominal bench

The second set of the bench press, incline press, front and lateral rises were all hard, and by the third set I was exhausted by the time I was at 7-8 reps, and only got 8-9 reps on the third set.

Tomorrow I'm going doing arms and legs and I'll record everything so I can keep track of my progress!
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kneubee7
    kneubee7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW) in January and I noticed results within 2-3 weeks. I also think you should take photos and measurements. It really helps with motivation too!
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My weight lifting and krav maga partner started strentgh training with me in the beginning of November. A little over 4 months later she is very toned and very strong- her arms and back especially have seen great results and she remains "all female" (i.e. she does not look like an east german female lifter).

I believe after about two months of working out 4 days a week she (and I) really started noticing results.

She is not deceptively strong and hits like a 20 foot box truck. This summer we both are really going to work on strength and core as we have a tough mudder to run.

And we used the Big Beyond Belief program (modified for her- she replaced each weeks Day 4 by re-doing Day 3 since Day 4 is meant for massive muscle growth)
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I've seen great results strength training but honestly, I'm not super excited about your program. Take a look at New Rules of Lifting for Women to see an example of a great program for beginners and experienced lifters alike.

Here's things to look for:

1. Work outs centered around BIG compound movement like squats and deadlifts.

2. Work outs with very limited to no "isolation" exercises, ie, using machines to target a specific muscle. Isolation movements offer very limited benefits for people like us (not body builders)

3. Emphasis on free weights over machines.

I can't recommend the NROLFW enough - it was everything I learned over a year of trying to get healthy and fit combined into one place. Seriously worth the $15. BUT there are plenty of other good programs out there too.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It's reassuring that some of you have said it takes a month or two (or more). I'm making noticeable strength gains but nothing's moving on the scale or measuring tape. Just made some changes to my diet, so, hopefully I'll see some changes in the next couple of weeks.
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    bump

2 weeks
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I've started seeing noticeable changes in about 3 weeks or so. Gotta keep at it though! I'm also doing the new rules of lifting which is a 6 months program. I'm almost done with level 1 which is 16 workouts, 3 times a week, so about 6 weeks of exercises.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I noticed a big change in my arms, shoulders and back after a month. I started in July.

A timeline of sorts of my back and bum:

butt-view.jpg

From last June to earlier this month:

back-view-june-march.jpg

Not much change from the front:

IMG_3787.jpg
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I saw some results within a few weeks. I saw noticeable results after about a month and a half, but a lot of that had to do with how I was eating, too - muscles love protein. A few months in, small changes are less noticeable but my strength continues to increase.
  • Abelders
    Abelders Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How many lbs have you lost since you started the 30 day Shred?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,977 Member
    Options
    The personal trainers who have necessary knowledge of physiology suggest where you are a beginning heavy lifter:

- measurements should start to change after 4 weeks
    - you should start to notice changes after 8 weeks
    - your friends and families will start to notice changes after 12 weeks

Weight-training (heavy-lifting) is WAY more about the long-term than any short-term bang for your buck. And, it's about progress, not perfection.

Just my $0.02
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I do strength training about 4 times a week, 2 days of upper body, 2 days lower body (core is always incorporated) and once I moved to lower reps/higher weight, I kid you not, in like 2 weeks I noticed a difference. I've lost 2 pants sizes (well, almost 3, my jeans are a little big right now!) in the last 2 months!

I know it's been posted on here a ton, but once I started using New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, I seriously noticed huge changes and I will never go back to lower weight/higher reps again!
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My body changes the fastest when I do a mix of cardio and strength training. Lift heavy! Think 8-10 reps max. You should be struggling on the last set of all of your exercises. I see results in about 2 weeks from starting a new program.

Also- if you're going to eat back your exercise calories make sure you're eating mostly protein & veggies. Limit the carbs you eat after working out. Your body needs the protein to rebuild the muscle.

I personally don't eat back my exercise calories and don't eat after working out at night (usually 8 or 9 PM.)

Happy Training! :flowerforyou:
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    BUMP :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!