Ladies, when did you see strength training results?

Options

Replies

• pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Literally two weeks before I could see a difference.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    i'm not going to lie to you. You aren't really doing very much. I know it's your first week or whatever, but it takes a very long time to see significant results. You might notice little things, but overall, the transformation does not happen overnight

I don't expect it to happen overnight, or even in 2-3 weeks. I'm just trying to get a gauge of what other people have experienced.
  • megmay2591
    Options
    I have NROWLFW and I've nearly finished reading it now. I have access to my University's gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays because of the class I am taking, which my routine was designed for, and was designed by my professor. I am thinking I will add some of the NROWLFW moves to my routine so hopefully that will improve my workout.

I know lifting two days a week isn't optimal, but it's all I can do for now since it's free with my University fees. By the summer, I'll be able to afford the real gym membership on campus and I'll start lifting three times a week.

Which moves from NROWL do you recommend I add to my routine?
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It took me about a month to see some small results. I'm five months in and can see a huge difference - especially in my legs. I still have a lot of weight to lose before I will see any real definition, but in terms of physical differences, lifting has made me better at all other physical activities, like running and cross training. Everything works better when you're strong :)
  • Monanik
    Monanik Posts: 150
    Options
    I love this thread ladies! I have a ? What exactly do you mean by lifting heavy? Thanks in advance!
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My weight lifting and krav maga partner started strength training with me in the beginning of November. A little over 4 months later she is very toned and very strong- her arms and back especially have seen great results and she remains "all female" (i.e. she does not look like an east german female lifter).

I believe after about two months of working out 4 days a week she (and I) really started noticing results.

She is now deceptively strong and hits like a 20 foot box truck. This summer we both are really going to work on strength and core as we have a tough mudder to run.

And we used the Big Beyond Belief program (modified for her- she replaced each weeks Day 4 by re-doing Day 3 since Day 4 is meant for massive muscle growth)

That'd be me (in the quoted post) ;-). I think I noticed results after the first month.

I posted a topic and a pic because I suddenly noticed I'm starting to get back muscles, yay! Take lots of progress pics!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/546034-back-muscles-after-4-months-strength-training-wow
  • megmay2591
    Options
    Bump!

Still looking for an answer on my above post ^^^^
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't remember everything from NROLFW but I would focus on compound moves like squats, deadlift, rows, bench press, etc.
  • megmay2591
    Options
    I've been doing rows and bench press. I've also been doing the Leg Press, is that equivalent to the deadlift? Or should I do deadlift instead?

I'll for sure begin incorporating squats too!
  • megmay2591
    Options
    I've been doing rows and bench press. I've also been doing the Leg Press, is that equivalent to the deadlift? Or should I do deadlift instead?

Scratch that, I'm doing the leg press which I know is similar to the squat. Should I stick with the leg press for a while or should I try real squats? And should I deadlift....sounds scary lol??
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Scratch that, I'm doing the leg press which I know is similar to the squat. Should I stick with the leg press for a while or should I try real squats? And should I deadlift....sounds scary lol??

Do squats, girl! They are horrible and I hate them and they've made the biggest difference in my legs and butt. :) Plus, they do get a bit easier with time. Deadlifting is not scary at all - you'll love it.
  • megmay2591
    Options
    I'm gonna try squats! I'm so excited to see results!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I am opposite of reneegee. I am so so scared of deadlifts still (even though I can dead almost 100 after only 2 weeks)

but I LOVE SQUATS
    LOVE THEM
  • megmay2591
    Options
    I am opposite of reneegee. I am so so scared of deadlifts still (even though I can dead almost 100 after only 2 weeks)

but I LOVE SQUATS
    LOVE THEM

That's awesome! How long have you been weight training? And what kind of results are you seeing/feeling.
  • xcrmonger
    xcrmonger Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been doing weights for a week now in addition to two months of just cardio, and I'm really seeing results. Especially in my butt! Between the toning and the fat loss, i am getting a very nice curve. Something I've never had. :D
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    make sure to only do dynamic stretching before a workout, only do static after as static before can reduce your performance.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for 3 months, you can check my profile for "before/during" pics. I weigh 6 lbs less than in my profile pic now and I started seeing results in about 4 weeks. I lift 5x/week and get 150 gm protein/day. I used to lift when I was younger, and results were much less drastic due to (I believe) my piddly protein intake at the time. (I'm NOT low-carb, btw). Just enjoy tHe process, do your homework, and be patient. Change will come when it comes. :flowerforyou:
  • megmay2591
    Options
    make sure to only do dynamic stretching before a workout, only do static after as static before can reduce your performance.

What kind of stretching would that include?
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Can you do the NROLFW at home with hand weights?

I would love to know this too before I think about investing in the book! :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!