Ladies, when did you see strength training results?

Options

Replies

• EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What do you classify as results? I do a Body Pump class, the fact that I feel comfortable increasing the weights I use tells me I am achieving results, though as my muscles are still very much covered fat I'm not seeing results in an aesthetic sense
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 15 of Supreme 90 -- a 90-day muscle confusion program combining strength training with a little cardio weaved in.

Great discussion. My family and coworkers are noticing a difference. I notice a difference in strength (having to add more weight to keep the intensity up). My obliques are changing quickly, it's feels and looks like someone pinched my sides. My back fat is diminishing and my "baby guns" are forming (wish the bat wings under my arms would tone as fast).

I'm going to get a copy of the NROLFW because I've seen nothing but glowing reviews on MFP by various people. I'm still trying to get over the scale anxiety. I just need to hide it for a month maybe. I do want to lose weight, but I think the long-term benefits of strength training will get me there if I just remain patient. The fact that my coworkers think I've lost a lot of weight means that something is working... at least I'm leaner.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    curious - along this topic - I am just beginning lifting. What is the difference and/or value of lifting lighter weights with more repetitions versus heavier weights with lower repetitions? Isn't it the lighter/more for tone versus heavier/less for bulking up (which many females do not desire)? Input appreciated for this newbie
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    curious - along this topic - I am just beginning lifting. What is the difference and/or value of lifting lighter weights with more repetitions versus heavier weights with lower repetitions? Isn't it the lighter/more for tone versus heavier/less for bulking up (which many females do not desire)? Input appreciated for this newbie

You will NOT bulk up, I repeat, you will NOT bulk up!!!!

Saying I don't want to look bulky (or like a body builder) is akin to saying, eh, I don't want to run, I might go to the olympics.

Now, good programs heavy lifting programs will vary from as little as 5 reps - 15 (give or take) depending on the workout. Don't be scared to LIFT HEAVY. It will do wonders.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting really heavy for about 5 months and felt results before I saw them. I did see noticeable difference within a month. When it comes to really being able to see transformation with weight lifting- diet is critical and it is not just a matter of calories in and calories out. Your results will depend greatly on how hard and heavy you push yourself. Congrats on starting a weight training program- it is so rewarding!:flowerforyou:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

You will NOT bulk up, I repeat, you will NOT bulk up!!!!

Saying I don't want to look bulky (or like a body builder) is akin to saying, eh, I don't want to run, I might go to the olympics.

Now, good programs heavy lifting programs will vary from as little as 5 reps - 15 (give or take) depending on the workout. Don't be scared to LIFT HEAVY. It will do wonders.

I concur! The only way a woman can bulk up is if she is supplementing, as it requires more testosterone than we produce to get man muscles.

Now--there are women who have less body fat and more muscle definition that I have seen some refer to as "bulky" but it takes an insane amount of work to get there, so unless you're purposely trying for that, you won't be in that category.

Go heavy. Plus, once you start lifting heavier, you kinda get this little rush out of "how much can I do today??" Or at least I do. I get all excited when my max goes up :)

Edited to add that once I switched my weight lifting method from low weight/high reps to high weight/low reps, I lose inches like twice as fast. Not even kidding. And my butt is quite a bit perkier :)
  • Rosemarose
    Rosemarose Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • angbecks
    angbecks Posts: 12
    Options
    I did Jillian Michaels for 3 months before I saw any results. I wasn't monitoring my food intake and so the changes that were happening were well hidden underneath all the weight i needed to lose. I noticed increased energy and more strength, but measurements and weight didn't change till I changed my diet. I haven't noticed any major changes (not 13" for sure) but i'm slowly moving the scale about a pound a week, even on the weeks when my diet isn't stellar (and the food part is the hardest for me). So I know my metabolism has increased which is good for the long haul. Keep on Keepin on!! It will be worth it!
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i have been lifting heavy for 6 weeks now.. i have had awesome strength gains, and i can tell a lot by the mirror. i need to take pics for real..
    i'm 5'9 and 219 and the scale just isn't moving in the right direction- i've lost 35 lb, almost halfway thru to goal (til i re-evaluate) and my last loss was 3 weeks ago at only -0.8.
    for the past 2 weeks the scale has gone UP to 222.
    this past week i've really focused on upping my protein WAY more.
    approx 3 weeks ago i began eating more, close to TDEE on WO days and TDEE-20-30% on rest days..
    i also do cycling/spinning classes 2-3x a week, and short dog walks a few times a week.

i hope that is what my body needs to actually reflect on the scale. i dont wanna live by the scale, but at 219 it's SO EFFING frustrating b/c it HAS to come off, am i right?

wahh.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, ladies! Much appreciated. I see reference to the book NROLFW so I might go get that. Onward and upward!
  • 1989Angela
    Options
    :)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    took me about a month to start noticing changes, combined with eating cleaner, that is :wink:
  • Manabug01
    Manabug01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Other people started noticing more muscle on me about 3 weeks in doing Jamie Eason's 12 wk shred. It's awesome and I love how structured it is. Arms and legs definitely were the first to pop. Now im addicted lol Keep it up!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, ladies! Much appreciated. I see reference to the book NROLFW so I might go get that. Onward and upward!

Totally worth buying!

In my opinion, much superior to a lot of the programs out there (sadly including Jamie Eason's on bodybuilding.com)
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    Can you do the NROLFW at home with hand weights?
  • julia80
    julia80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    snip
    Not much change from the front:

IMG_3787.jpg

I see a huge change from the front! Your waist is tiny! Good work! I hope my belly turns out like yours!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I want to start lifting heavy but I can't afford a gym membership... and I don't have any heavy weights at home (the highest I have are 8lb lol) All I do is a Jillian Michaels workout (No More Trouble Zones) but it uses 3lb weights...

I guess my options are to either go to a gym or buy a bunch of weights. Sucks.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i'm not going to lie to you. You aren't really doing very much. I know it's your first week or whatever, but it takes a very long time to see significant results. You might notice little things, but overall, the transformation does not happen overnight
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    in as little as two weeks :smile:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You're only working the muscles once a week, so I would imagine it will take a while to see results. Keep in mind that in a month, you will have only lifted that muscle group 4 times. Also, if you're lifting at your (safe) max, it would be unusual for you to be able to up the weight every week consistently.

Personally, I think it took me about a month of lifting three times a week to see results, although I already had some muscle from pole dancing and my body fat is not low, so it's a little more difficult to see my muscle. I go up in weight at most every couple of weeks.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!