CrossFit

Options

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Strength and conditioning coaches often describe CrossFit's programming — or lack thereof — as senseless and random. Alwyn Cosgrove notes that this "all over the place" programming can be dangerous:

"A recent CrossFit workout was 30 reps of snatches with 135 pounds. A snatch is an explosive exercise designed to train power development. Thirty reps is endurance. You don't use an explosive exercise to train endurance; there are more effective and safer choices.

"Another one was 30 muscle-ups. And if you can't do muscle-ups, do 120 pull-ups and 120 dips. It's just random; it makes no sense. Two days later the program was five sets of five in the push jerk with max loads. That's not looking too healthy for the shoulder joint if you just did 120 dips 48 hours ago."

An excerpt from an article about Crossfit. This is what people mean when they talk about Crossfit having bad, and seemingly random, programming. There's no steady progression or periodization.
    The WODs come straight from CF headquarters, but it's up to individual trainers to decide how they're used. Many of these trainers are officially certified by CrossFit, but that means less than it seems. For $1,000, you can earn CrossFit's Level 1 certification in a single weekend course. (Level 2 costs $500, and subsequent certifications cost $250.) That includes lectures and hands-on demonstrations, but no written test.

This is what I mean about inconsistencies. The ranks do have many coaches with experience under their belt, but any schmuck with $1000 and a free weekend can be Crossfit coach, and I think that's a big problem.

I know it was brought up before, so I'll mention that I know this isn't unique to Crossfit. I think all personal trainers need to be subject to more rigorous standards. The fact that so many fitness myths are being pushed by these supposedly educated people is ridiculous.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options

True, but they are put together differently and the concept is new..... and it's very motivating to watch it. I love the fact that women are heavily involved in it, that's what attracts me the most. The strength demonstrated in those women along with their endurance is amazing. I have never seen a program that gets such well rounded results .....especially in women

I HATE to see women getting involved with Crossfit!

They tear up their hands and scrape their legs and get strained and pulled muscles and all sorts of other unnecessary injuries.

I think strength training is great for women when done in moderation. But the kind of extremely heavy lifting that's expected with Crossfit can do more damage than good -- ESPECIALLY to women, who are not built like men are.

LMAO you are so ridiculous . i have been doing crossfit for a year now and never torn my hands or scraped my legs that i can remember. and if I did, so what? a little scrape is nothing. you really must be seriously out of shape considering your views on fitness. you should actually try some thing before opposing it so much.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Actually, I see Crossfit injuries on people that come to the YMCA as well as doing Crossfit. And they aren't very pretty!

@Health_Gal, Its pretty rude to constantly hijack these threads with your own agenda about something you haven't even personally tried to do. I realize this might be a tough concept for someone like you to grasp, but maybe when try minding your own business and focusing on your own workout and results. You have a hidden profile with no results photos or even a weight loss ticker, so I'm not really sure why you think YOUR recommendations and expertise are of much value to anyone. This is above all, a FITNESS site, and a lot of men and women here are very much interested in pushing themselves to achieve results above and beyond where some will give up and decide its too hard, so your comments about what YOU think "most people" want or need are really not helpful.

To the OP...hope you at least got some decent info from this thread and are able to give it a shot. I can understand the financial concerns as some are very expensive. My gym has the Crossfit classes that are available at no extra cost above monthly dues, so I'm lucky there. I have seen that a lot of the info is out there online though, so you might be able to pick up enough to create your own challenging routine using resourses that aren't as costly! Good luck!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Nopedotjpeg....

Have you done Crossfit...nothing in your posts implies that you have so I was just wondering.
    We all know that Health Gal is an absolute tool -yes mods I said it and its true!
    However I was wondering what your opinions are based on Nopedotjpeg...did you at least try crossfit or some of the WOD's? ...please dont let your opinions be formed on articles.....yes some of the lifts they do have been around for a while....but they dont claim to have invented them..kinda hard to claim that when you have world renowned strength coaches coming in and teaching seminars for them on powerlifting, then they bring in coaches to teach running technique...
    Anyone can go online and get a degree as a personal trainere for probably cheaper than $1000....am sure crossfit is the same excet for the online part....but a bad coach is a bad coach no matter wha tthey teach or how they got their degree...you cant shoot down an entire program over that becasue every workplace has a few bad apples ...look around your office or wherever you work...there are idiots near by....even in these forums oddly enough....
    I have and still do Crossfit exercises...since doing so my body has changed dramatically and I was in really great shape before I started...I do them at work, no trainers....just printed out the list of WOD's to include the Hero ones (prior military, PD and now current FD) so am partial to those...what I noticed was not only did I get stronger but I developed phenomenal muscle endurance... Before doing crossfit I would do my heavy lifts and be done...absolutely worn out...now I can run 3-4 miles and then do the same heavy llifts and run another mile after....what did I do different? I incorporated Crossfit WOD's and modified Crossfit exercises .....but its not just me...its the rest of the guys here at the FD....they all benefit from it and it has increased their endurance on a fire scene..meaning they can work longer without using as much air on a bottle...
    injuries....I was down for a week after moving an ez bar curl bar from one rung to to another...guess what...as we get older..our bodies arent as forgiving and we get tweaks and injuries...its ineveitable...no matter what program your doing.....you could do 500 pushups everyday for six months, then one morning you go to do em and you pull something...its just gonna happen...
    So any exercise program no matter waht the name or intensity is either suited for you or it isnt....but if you never tried it then how can you have an opinion....I have never once nor will I ever tell anyone to do or not to do Crossfit....thats their choice.....but at least I can tell them what it did for me based on real experience and not becasue someone wrote an article that it might be bad...
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

True, but they are put together differently and the concept is new..... and it's very motivating to watch it. I love the fact that women are heavily involved in it, that's what attracts me the most. The strength demonstrated in those women along with their endurance is amazing. I have never seen a program that gets such well rounded results .....especially in women

I HATE to see women getting involved with Crossfit!

They tear up their hands and scrape their legs and get strained and pulled muscles and all sorts of other unnecessary injuries.

I think strength training is great for women when done in moderation. But the kind of extremely heavy lifting that's expected with Crossfit can do more damage than good -- ESPECIALLY to women, who are not built like men are.

OMG seriously...I must be a glutton for punishment to keep writing the same thing over and over again....

IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE IT WHY ARE GENERALIZING AND MAKING UP STUFF.....

my hands aren't torn up - my legs aren't scraped, my muscles yeah they can be sore sometimes...that's what the hell happens when you USE them...be it in a YMCA, A Zumba class, Crossfit or even *gasp* running...

Gee you mentioned you run a few times a week - well hell I hope you never turn your ankle, blow out your ACL, rip your hamstring, break your tailbone, get a stress fracture to your foot, get 7 stiches in your head from stepping in a pothole and smacking your head on the way down (oh and get a concussion), rip your achilles tendon, get hit by a car...all the above I mentioned happened to my friends who run on a regular basis...ANYTHING can be dangerous...maybe I should go on all the running threads and be all like "Oh don't run because you can break your tailbone - I don't know this from personal experience but it happened to my friend so ergo running is HORRIBLE"

As for people who come into your YMCA with injuries...if they are injured why the hell are the working out - some people cause injuries to themselves - they push themselves because they ignore what trainers or coaches or doctors say - hell I've seen that at my Golds Gym...no matter what the exercise they are doing...and they press through rather than relax and let themselves heal...

Why don't you just give up....I seriously don't understand...
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    Nopedotjpeg....

Have you done Crossfit...nothing in your posts implies that you have so I was just wondering.
    We all know that Health Gal is an absolute tool -yes mods I said it and its true!
    However I was wondering what your opinions are based on Nopedotjpeg...did you at least try crossfit or some of the WOD's? ...please dont let your opinions be formed on articles.....yes some of the lifts they do have been around for a while....but they dont claim to have invented them..kinda hard to claim that when you have world renowned strength coaches coming in and teaching seminars for them on powerlifting, then they bring in coaches to teach running technique...
    Anyone can go online and get a degree as a personal trainere for probably cheaper than $1000....am sure crossfit is the same excet for the online part....but a bad coach is a bad coach no matter wha tthey teach or how they got their degree...you cant shoot down an entire program over that becasue every workplace has a few bad apples ...look around your office or wherever you work...there are idiots near by....even in these forums oddly enough....
    I have and still do Crossfit exercises...since doing so my body has changed dramatically and I was in really great shape before I started...I do them at work, no trainers....just printed out the list of WOD's to include the Hero ones (prior military, PD and now current FD) so am partial to those...what I noticed was not only did I get stronger but I developed phenomenal muscle endurance... Before doing crossfit I would do my heavy lifts and be done...absolutely worn out...now I can run 3-4 miles and then do the same heavy llifts and run another mile after....what did I do different? I incorporated Crossfit WOD's and modified Crossfit exercises .....but its not just me...its the rest of the guys here at the FD....they all benefit from it and it has increased their endurance on a fire scene..meaning they can work longer without using as much air on a bottle...
    injuries....I was down for a week after moving an ez bar curl bar from one rung to to another...guess what...as we get older..our bodies arent as forgiving and we get tweaks and injuries...its ineveitable...no matter what program your doing.....you could do 500 pushups everyday for six months, then one morning you go to do em and you pull something...its just gonna happen...
    So any exercise program no matter waht the name or intensity is either suited for you or it isnt....but if you never tried it then how can you have an opinion....I have never once nor will I ever tell anyone to do or not to do Crossfit....thats their choice.....but at least I can tell them what it did for me based on real experience and not becasue someone wrote an article that it might be bad...

Saying you can't have an opinion on something because you've never done it is a bunch of bunk really. No I haven't done Crossfit.

We seem to agree with my main point being that good coaches are what make or break this program. You're right that a schmuck trainer is a schmuck trainer, but a Crossfit schmuck trainer is expected to teach a lot more technical lifts than the run of the mill schmuck trainer you'd find at a gym. Hence, if Crossfit wants to believe it has the best answer to improve all areas of fitness, then it needs to have higher standards for its coaches.
  • HOSED49
    Options
    Nopedotjpeg....

Saying you can't have an opinion on something because you've never done it is a bunch of bunk really. No I haven't done Crossfit.

We seem to agree with my main point being that good coaches is what makes or breaks this program. You're right that a schmuck trainer is a schmuck trainer, but a Crossfit schmuck trainer is expected to teach a lot more technical lifts than the run of the mill schmuck trainer you'd find at a gym. Hence, if Crossfit wants to believe it has the best answer to improve all areas of fitness, then it needs to have higher standards for its coaches.

you can have an opinion, but its not yours because you never did it yourself...you use someone elses thoughts and not your own so its not really ever your opinion...
    If youve never been coached by them..how do you know they dont have higher standards....
    Youre no different than Healthgal right now because you havent done it but choose to argue against it...I havent done Zumba and I am not gonna go around telling everyone not to do it because I read its hard...or the instrcutors dont pay much to be an instructor...
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    Nopedotjpeg....

We seem to agree with my main point being that good coaches is what makes or breaks this program. You're right that a schmuck trainer is a schmuck trainer, but a Crossfit schmuck trainer is expected to teach a lot more technical lifts than the run of the mill schmuck trainer you'd find at a gym. Hence, if Crossfit wants to believe it has the best answer to improve all areas of fitness, then it needs to have higher standards for its coaches.

you can have an opinion, but its not yours because you never did it yourself...you use someone elses thoughts and not your own so its not really ever your opinion...
    If youve never been coached by them..how do you know they dont have higher standards....
    Youre no different than Healthgal right now because you havent done it but choose to argue against it...I havent done Zumba and I am not gonna go around telling everyone not to do it because I read its hard...or the instrcutors dont pay much to be an instructor...

Because I've seen many videos of people lifting with ****ty form under the watchful eye of a "coach." First-hand knowledge is not the only type that matters. Please stop trying to shoot down someone who has an opinion different than your for the simple fact that they find information in a way other than paying $100+ to get it.

Also, if you want to say first-hand knowledge is the only kind that matters, then how do you know that every other Crossfit box has similar coaches to yours?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

We seem to agree with my main point being that good coaches are what make or break this program. You're right that a schmuck trainer is a schmuck trainer, but a Crossfit schmuck trainer is expected to teach a lot more technical lifts than the run of the mill schmuck trainer you'd find at a gym. Hence, if Crossfit wants to believe it has the best answer to improve all areas of fitness, then it needs to have higher standards for its coaches.

This is a much better argument than 'Don't do it you might break a sweat and will definitely turn your hands and shins into hamburger!'

I recognize taking issue with poorly designed routines, and it makes sense that your concern would be compounded when those routines involve highly technical lifts that, when done improperly, could cause severe injury.

However, there's nothing stopping a run of the mill schmuck trainer from teaching their clients something dangerous. I see it regularly at my gym. Further, don't you think all programs think they have the best answer to improve fitness? Short of something like shakeweights that I think are actively trying to deceive potential buyers, all programs are designed to make you improve better than any other routine, no? Why does CrossFit get the added stipulation? Shouldn't ALL these sorts of things hold their certified instructors to higher standards?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

I strongly disagree with this position. Not having done something doesn't invalidate that person's opinion if they can lay out a well thought out and logical argument.
  • thatguy010
    thatguy010 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to decide whether I should do P90x or Crossfit
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

This is a much better argument than 'Don't do it you might break a sweat and will definitely turn your hands and shins into hamburger!'

I recognize taking issue with poorly designed routines, and it makes sense that your concern would be compounded when those routines involve highly technical lifts that, when done improperly, could cause severe injury.

However, there's nothing stopping a run of the mill schmuck trainer from teaching their clients something dangerous. I see it regularly at my gym. Further, don't you think all programs think they have the best answer to improve fitness? Short of something like shakeweights that I think are actively trying to deceive potential buyers, all programs are designed to make you improve better than any other routine, no? Why does CrossFit get the added stipulation? Shouldn't ALL these sorts of things hold their certified instructors to higher standards?

I actually did say that in a previous post. The reason Crossfit gets attention from critics is the same reason it gets attention from supporters: it's growing in popularity.

And while many less-than-good personal trainers can teach their clients these kinds of lifts, they usually don't. In fact they tend to do the opposite kind of disservice by teaching them to do less than they should. Example: I've had a PT once tell me to "not squat too low because it's bad on the knees."
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I actually did say that in a previous post. The reason Crossfit gets attention from critics is the same reason it gets attention from supporters: it's growing in popularity.

And while many less-than-good personal trainers can teach their clients these kinds of lifts, they usually don't. In fact they tend to do the opposite kind of disservice by teaching them to do less than they should. Example: I've had a PT once tell me to "not squat too low because it's bad on the knees."

You did, I guess from my perspective it's not any different. However if your stance is that it's important since it's growing in popularity that's fair.

At the end of the day, we're on the same page. For WHATEVER you're going to do, find a knowledgeable group of people to work with. That is probably more important than the specific program you choose.
  • HOSED49
    Options
    Nopedotjpeg....

Because I've seen many videos of people lifting with ****ty form under the watchful eye of a "coach." First-hand knowledge is not the only type that matters. Please stop trying to shoot down someone who has an opinion different than your for the simple fact that they find information in a way other than paying $100+ to get it.

Also, if you want to say first-hand knowledge is the only kind that matters, then how do you know that every other Crossfit box has similar coaches to yours?

I dont say that...never did say that..never told anyone to do crossfit...never told anyone not to do crosssfit...
    I just tell people interested in it how it benefited me since I actually did it..not watch a video and play monday morning quarterback...I do the exercises....I do the workouts...I get the benefits....
    I appreciate your points...and I even agreed that every place has bad apples...wether it be at work or at a gym.....so since we can agree that every and I mean every program can have a bad coach or instructor...do you plan on continue arguing about something youve never done?
  • HOSED49
    Options

I strongly disagree with this position. Not having done something doesn't invalidate that person's opinion if they can lay out a well thought out and logical argument.

they key there is if they can lay out a well thought out and logical argument....saying that the argument is over wether to do crossfit or not...
    I can tell you not to watch the movie .....without limits (steve prefontaine) ....my argument is becausue someone told me this guy ran alot and it made them want to run alot and they got hurt...so i tell you please dont watch that movie because I saw a video of someone wanting to run like that with poor coaching or read an article that said running like that would injure you....but I have no valid argument becausue I never watched the movie nor did I try to run like that...so its not nor was it ever truly my opinion...
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    Nopedotjpeg....

I dont say that...never did say that..never told anyone to do crossfit...never told anyone not to do crosssfit...
    I just tell people interested in it how it benefited me since I actually did it..not watch a video and play monday morning quarterback...I do the exercises....I do the workouts...I get the benefits....
    I appreciate your points...and I even agreed that every place has bad apples...wether it be at work or at a gym.....so since we can agree that every and I mean every program can have a bad coach or instructor...do you plan on continue arguing about something youve never done?

I was pointing out the fact that you do not have to experience something first hand to talk about or have an informed opinion about it. If I said "Squatting 1000 pounds must be pretty damn heavy!" would that mean nothing because I've never Squatted 1000 pounds before?

P.S. I don't mean this in a rude way, but punctuation makes things a lot easier to read.
  • HOSED49
    Options
    A good friend just pointed out that I have become defensive...which makes me an *kitten*
    So everyone has their points
    Good luck to all on their decisions
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    they key there is if they can lay out a well thought out and logical argument....saying that the argument is over wether to do crossfit or not...
    I can tell you not to watch the movie .....without limits (steve prefontaine) ....my argument is becausue someone told me this guy ran alot and it made them want to run alot and they got hurt...so i tell you please dont watch that movie because I saw a video of someone wanting to run like that with poor coaching or read an article that said running like that would injure you....but I have no valid argument becausue I never watched the movie nor did I try to run like that...so its not nor was it ever truly my opinion...

That's silly.

CrossFit involves highly technical lifts in its routines (fact)
    Those technical lifts pose a greater risk of serious injury if done improperly than other common weight lifting exercises (fact)
    CrossFit is designed to push you past your comfort level due to the sheer intensity of the workouts (fact)

The fact that CrossFit incorporates dangerous workouts into its routine obliges the programs instructors to hold a higher level of training in order to keep their clients safe. This is similar to the reasoning behind requiring fairly substantial training for scuba instructors; the activity poses great risks to a person (opinion)
    The current licencing program for CrossFit is inadequate given the previous supposition (opinion)

That's a claim someone who has never done CrossFit could reasonably make. Have you trained at EVERY CrossFit in existence? Then you can't comment on the skill level on average of CrossFit coaches. Your argument goes both ways.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Nopedotjpeg....

my box has some amazing trainers who really care about us. we have 5 trainers, 2 are the owners, 2 are a married couple who have a newborn they bring to classes and the last one is member who took her certification and became a trainer. i also have tried PT in the past and had no results, and always ended up buying out my contract because the trainers were tools. usually they were 20 something year old D-bags who would just try to sleep with me instead of help me improve my fitness. For me there is nothing even close to the family feeling you get with crossfit (and i've seriously tried it ALL....S factor, yoga, pilates, gym boot camps, etc).
  • rla099
    rla099 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit and I love it. I have been doing it kinda half assed since Jan of this year. Then I got really motivated and started working harder the beginning of March. Since I have been putting more into it, I have seen really great results. I have more energy (I have an 8 month old so I need the energy!), I eat better, I sleep better, and I have more patience. It is a great hobby for me to have. I pay $85 dollars a month for 3 days a week. It is like having a personal train every time. Like mentioned above, make sure your trainer is correctly certified. My box is really small and I really like it better than a huge gym. I go at 630 am and my trainer isn't spread too thin.

I was having weird knee aches and lower back aches from running. Crossfit has build up my muscles enough to where I am painfree now. While I was having pain, my coach would scale everything to where it did not hurt me.

I like it because everyone is a huge support while working out. It is a good way to stay accountable. When I first started my father in law died so I missed a week. One of the trainers emailed me to make sure everything was okay because she hadn't seen me.

I think it is a something to try. You may not like it or you may love it. I like lifting because I don't want to be skin and bones from running. Also, its good for bone health.