MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT!!!

Options
mamamc03
mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
OK, so let me preface this by saying ANYone who knows me, knows that I have always had THICK...I mean enough for 2 people THICK hair. Lovely thick light red hair.

I have noticed, that I have been losing more hair than normal. Especially in the shower when I run my hands through it. I have been eating my cals and getting MOST of my nutrients, feel free to look @ my diary.

So I go to get my hair cut today and my stylist said that I was losing a LOT of hair. I then told her that I have noticed it lately & that I used to have very thick hair. She was SHOCKED...WOW. That was a knock down for me, bc I have always LOVED my hair. It was the only thing I was proud of on my body. But she said to get my thyroid checked, bc that can cause it as well.

I'm pretty bummed about it. I used to need the ultra heavy duty pony tail holders and now the little ones do just fine. I want my thick supple hair back!!

My MFP bestie told me to up my omega-3s & protein with tuna & stuff. As well as Biotin. I am going for my yearly next month.

Any other ideas??

Replies

• hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? How is your stress level? Those are side effects for too low calories and high stress. Hope it stops falling out for you!
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Please see your Doctor. Hair loss and brittle nails can be a sign of illness.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Delete
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    If you can, have your doctor check your thyroid levels. Losing hair is one of the early signs of low thyroid function. Also, it's a sign of malnutrition, so make sure you eat enough, especially protein, since that's what hair is mostly made of.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A higher fat diet helps as well. Look for stuff like extra virgin olive oil, nuts, and avocado
  • mamamc03
    Options
    lawkat wrote...
    I personally recommend you see a doctor about this before it gets any worse. It is usually best to consult a doctor rather than ask a medical question here. Either see a GP or a dermatologist. You should get blood work done to see why that is happening.

Well, sugar, I know that. But I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this. But thanks for the cynicism. ;)
    & I don't have insurance, so this is MUCH cheaper.
  • mamamc03
    Options
    Please see your Doctor. Hair loss and brittle nails can be a sign of illness.

Now that you mention it...I used to have CRAZY strong nails too...and they are not as resilient anymore...Geez, I sound like a hypochondriac.
  • mamamc03
    Options
    A higher fat diet helps as well. Look for stuff like extra virgin olive oil, nuts, and avocado

Yeah, that's what my mom said...because my diet used to consist of all kinds of fat...now that I am eating better, I avoid i when I can.
  • Melissa_Suzanne
    Melissa_Suzanne Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Your body may lack folic acid or sulphur.

Folic acid helps with fromation of red blood cell, aids in metabolism and contributes to normal growth, helpful in hair growth.
    Deficiency symptoms: skin disorder, mental depression, may lead to hair loss
    Food sources: organ meats, brewers yeast, wheat germ, nuts, green leafy veggies.

Sulfer is necessary to rebuild protein, particulary keratin which is found in hair and skin.
    Deficiency symptoms: brittle nails, skin eruptions, hair deficiencies.
    Food sources: Meat, fish eggs, cheese, soybeans, lentils, kidney beans, cabbage, fish, poultry, onions, garlic, swiss chard, watercress.

This is from a book called Basic herbs and simple remedies. I have found it very usefully with helping me find out the problems I have :) Hope you figure it out.
  • mamamc03
    Options
    If you can, have your doctor check your thyroid levels. Losing hair is one of the early signs of low thyroid function. Also, it's a sign of malnutrition, so make sure you eat enough, especially protein, since that's what hair is mostly made of.

I think I am eating enough...look @ my diary. I eat between 1400-1800/day.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I had this problem on Weight Watchers when I wasn't eating enough fat. Check your fat intake. If you're way under every day, try some juggling around and increase your fat. It did stop when I started eating more fat.
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    I had the same problem. A very wise person told me to try increasing my fats. I already take biotin daily... I increased my fat and protein from 15 to 30 and lowered my carbs to 40 and that has been working well for me so far. also, check the type of shampoo and conditioner you use, as well as any hair products for styling... there are some that are much worse for your hair than others.
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    you don't monitor you protein on your diary...how much are you eating??? you really need to track protein levels.
  • mamamc03
    Options
    Are you eating enough? How is your stress level? Those are side effects for too low calories and high stress. Hope it stops falling out for you!

Oh...my stress...you dont even know!! Since I have started on my WLJ, there have been 3 deaths, BIL went literally crazy, other BIL lost his job, hubby lost his job, we moved & are living in an RV, still paying for old apartment & RV lot rent. UGH!!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B supplements should help this issue. You are probably missing a lot of B12 in your diet and that will cause hair loss. Vegans and Vegetarians have this problem.

I lowered my red meat intake significantly and have to take supplements as my hair is thin and breaks easy to begin with.
  • booboorocksout
    Options
    I saw something on dateline that had ladies who were taking certain vitamins and supplements losing hair. If you're taking anything check the web and ask your doctor. They don't have to do much to get those things on the shelves. The FDAhas no real power to regulate anything anymore. Hope your hair comes back soon!
  • celtickarasu
    Options
    I was losing my hair and I was told to take 5000 mcg of biotin a day. Now my hair has grown back in and is thick and shiny again. And my nails are growing faster and maybe a bit stronger.
  • mamamc03
    Options
    you don't monitor you protein on your diary...how much are you eating??? you really need to track protein levels.

I can see it on my phone...I'll update so y'all can see it.....FIXED
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Besides thyroid, ask them to do an "iron panel." In the meantime, you could try Biotin but it may take a LONG time to notice a difference.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor. Alopecia can be caused by stress.