MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT!!!

Options

Replies

• vcorbin01
    vcorbin01 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    DOCTOR!! This can be pretty serious and I've known people with this symptom and have illness!
  • tori_Marie85
    tori_Marie85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had this issue when I was on a very-low calorie diet. As soon as I started eating more, it stopped. If you aren't already taking a multi-vitamin I would do that.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary- eat more. You're not eating back your exercise calories- MFP is set up with a caloric deficit from the get-go. You do not need to create a deficit by not eating your exercise calories.

You had a few days of eating 1300ish cals and burning 230cals- this leaves you well below what I'm betting your BMR is.

Don't eat below BMR- it's what you get fed if you are in a coma. No coma- then go higher than BMR. If you go lower than your BMR you will lose non-essential body functions; functions such as strong hair and nails.

Eat your exercise cals back for a month and compare. If you get worried- obviously go to a doctor.
  • reshapemariah21
    reshapemariah21 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agree with going to the doctor. But Prenatal vitamins made my hair SO thick, and long. Now that I don't take them, My hair is shedding. lol I need to start taking them again I guess.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I am willing to say it is your caloric intake. I had a similar experience. I tried taking buttloads of vitamins, but if you are not giving your body what it needs all the vitamins in he world will not help. I started eating more, busted through a six month plateau and my hair came back. Vitamins are not a substitute for poor nutrition.
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    Very typical for when you are stressed. My Lost a lot of hair about a year ago and it was so thin you could see down to my scalp *cringe*. I was so embarrassed i actually started combing over my hair to try to hide as much as i could! All my blood work was normal, it was the stress doing it to me. I would still recommend seeing your doctor first though. Once I got my stress under control my hair has been growing again and no more scalp shots!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but I am a physician assistant. For what you could spend on these supplements and shampoos, you could pay for a doctor's visit and have the bloodwork drawn. Maybe your community offers healthcare through the health department or some doctors will see self-pay patients at a discounted rate (mine does). At the very least, I agree: Thyroid and iron levels.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A higher fat diet helps as well. Look for stuff like extra virgin olive oil, nuts, and avocado

Yeah, that's what my mom said...because my diet used to consist of all kinds of fat...now that I am eating better, I avoid i when I can.

This is a mistake IMO. Fat is higher in calories so many dieters avoid it too much, but fat is very good for your hair and skin. Without it I lose hair and my skin looks drawn. You don't want to go hog wild with fat since it is so high calorie, but try to get closer to your fat goal with good fats. Just a little olive oil on salads, cooked veggies or meats or a handful of nuts or a spoonful or two of a nut butter will bring it right up. And it just might save your hair. Plus it really makes your food taste better and keeps you full longer.

REALLY good advice, thank you. I have just been scared to have a LOT of fat, probably because of ignorance, and I am worried about it storing. I'm still 291.5lbs. I've never tried olive oil on salads & I get PB2, which has negligible fat. I'll start trying to meet that goal.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have anemia and am low in iron and my hair is falling out like crazy. I live in a country with socialized medicine so I am waiting for my first iron infusion. But you should get a blood test to figure out what it is for you. I am sure a number of things can cause hairloss. There is no substitute for a good exam even though you aren't insured, it is definitely worth getting some answers so you know where to begin and know what you have to fix. I found out I am low on B12 and Iron and now I get injections for B12 every 3 months and have taken many blood tests and we are getting closer and closer to the answers on why I cannot absorb iron.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I haven't read thru all the responses so forgive me if I duplicate... this could be anemia - I would certainly visit the doc. My sister was losing hair at a scary rate and found out she was anemic - since she's started taking iron tablets her hair is thickening up.

I had an experience similar to this - saw all my docs, for me it turned out to be stress related. Once I addressed those issues my hair shed returned to a more normal rate.

Also just in case have your thyroid tested. Shampoos like Nioxin don't work so don't waste your $.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Your body absolutely needs fats, the good ones (monounsaturated fats, or MUFAs). Olives, almonds, olive oil, avocados...make sure you have some in every meal. About 20% of your intake should be proteins, and about 30% should be good fats (I say "about" because it's different for everyone, but these seem to be my magic numbers).

And I understand that you are reluctant to see an MD, but since WE can't run the necessary tests to ensure that it's not something more serious than your diet, I strongly advise seeing a professional.

Be well!
  • Lovelyhal
    Lovelyhal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This also happened to me - big weight loss can contribute to hair loss. Also have your Vitamin D levels checked and your oestrogen level as well as your thyroid levels. Low levels of all of these can also cause hair loss. ONe blood sample can be tested for all these. Vitamin D can be replaced by being in the sun for 10 mins each day.
  • mamamc03
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but I am a physician assistant. For what you could spend on these supplements and shampoos, you could pay for a doctor's visit and have the bloodwork drawn. Maybe your community offers healthcare through the health department or some doctors will see self-pay patients at a discounted rate (mine does). At the very least, I agree: Thyroid and iron levels.

Cool, this is great advice too! I'll call my GP and see if I can get in before my regular OBGYN appt.
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you can, have your doctor check your thyroid levels. Losing hair is one of the early signs of low thyroid function. Also, it's a sign of malnutrition, so make sure you eat enough, especially protein, since that's what hair is mostly made of.

I think I am eating enough...look @ my diary. I eat between 1400-1800/day.

Accounting for your age, weight and I made up your height at 5'0, your BMR is 2085, your maintenance calories or TDEE as Sedentary is 2500, 2870 as lightly active. Assuming you're at least lightly active as you have a young daughter, you're running at least over a 1000 calorie a day deficit before exercise.

You're not consuming very much protein OR fat, even as a percentage for your low intake. Try to exceed your protein goal daily and nail your fat goal.

I totally agree with this above post - you need more calories, more protein and a little more fat. When I lost weight rapidly a few years ago and was not eating enough fat (or calories for that matter) my hair was falling out like crazy. Same situation where my hairdresser flipped and said get to the doctor. He said I was not eating enough. He also tested my thyroid which was fine. Also, like a few have suggested get a good multi to add to upped calories and protein consumption.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    you need more healthy fats and protein!!! biotin helps too! this happened to me, but you should use some rogaine to help that hair come back in the meantime. sure helps your self esteem!! speaking from experience:

Picture296.jpg

Picture381.jpg
  • plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Definitely get your thyroid checked. I'm hypothyroid and my hair was coming out like crazy before I started getting medicated. Other symptoms include difficulty losing weight/weight gain, dry skin, feeling the cold a lot, being tired all the time, sore muscles and constipation. Not fun!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    When you go to your yearly exam, show the doctor your diary (printed version).

You can also have your hair follicles tested. It is around $75. It will show what nutrients are in your hair and what is lacking. Your hair contains a nutrient history, very much like your food logs.
  • mamamc03
    Options
    Did you just have a baby? I am 5 months post partum and losing hair like crazy, which is normal after having a baby. I don't see anything about that in your post so may not be relevant, but thought I wuold throw it out there. :)

Nope, mine is almost 6. But thanks. ;) My hair did that too after I had her though....although it wasn't the hair on my head that fell out....:blushing:
  • mamamc03
    Options
    If you can, have your doctor check your thyroid levels. Losing hair is one of the early signs of low thyroid function. Also, it's a sign of malnutrition, so make sure you eat enough, especially protein, since that's what hair is mostly made of.

I think I am eating enough...look @ my diary. I eat between 1400-1800/day.

Accounting for your age, weight and I made up your height at 5'0, your BMR is 2085, your maintenance calories or TDEE as Sedentary is 2500, 2870 as lightly active. Assuming you're at least lightly active as you have a young daughter, you're running at least over a 1000 calorie a day deficit before exercise.

You're not consuming very much protein OR fat, even as a percentage for your low intake. Try to exceed your protein goal daily and nail your fat goal.

I totally agree with this above post - you need more calories, more protein and a little more fat. When I lost weight rapidly a few years ago and was not eating enough fat (or calories for that matter) my hair was falling out like crazy. Same situation where my hairdresser flipped and said get to the doctor. He said I was not eating enough. He also tested my thyroid which was fine. Also, like a few have suggested get a good multi to add to upped calories and protein consumption.

The weeks that I eat higher, I dont have a loss. So I go back to eating less. Y'all are making me think I need to go eat a spoonful of peanut butter. LOL
  • mamamc03
    Options
    When you go to your yearly exam, show the doctor your diary (printed version).

You can also have your hair follicles tested. It is around $75. It will show what nutrients are in your hair and what is lacking. Your hair contains a nutrient history, very much like your food logs.

great idea!! I will do that. At least the printed diary. I'll ask about the follicle test.