Options

Replies

• angie_sample
    Options
    get ur thyriod checked.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    My hair went from super thick.. to now not so much. I switched my conditioner to a protein conditioner... My diet is 55% protein 25% carb and 20% fat. My blood work is normal. and i take a multi vitamin and d3 supplement. Sometimes it is scary to see how much hair i lose. Hope I grow my hair as fast as I lose it.
  • Acliff510
    Acliff510 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Cutting a lot of fat out of your diet can cause hair loss. Try increasing the amount of good healthy oils in your diet such as olive oil. Also, I've heard that taking a good daily mulitvitamin can help.
  • Takeahike86
    Takeahike86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That is typical for a Thyroid deficiency. Please see your doctor for a TSH blood test.
  • rsteele66
    rsteele66 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    this sounds like Alopecia. this is a condition where your auto imune system for some reason turns against your hair folicals . i know someone who is going through this also. Tthere is a good video that was on the tv show 20 20 that talks about this condition
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Your body may lack folic acid or sulphur.

interesting. I'll add that to my checklist for the dr. Thanks!
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Did you just have a baby? I am 5 months post partum and losing hair like crazy, which is normal after having a baby. I don't see anything about that in your post so may not be relevant, but thought I wuold throw it out there. :)
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    Are you on any medications? HBP medication is notorious for hair loss. I would suggest taking prenatal pills. Contrary to pop belief, you do not have to be pregnant to take them. When I wanted to grow my hair, I took them. My hair, nails and skin flourished. Be warned though, ALL your hair will grow and thicken. I was having to pluck my eyebrows every 2-3 days and we won't even mention the whoowhoo area...:blushing:
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/hair-loss-causes-women

It's not a doctor but it will give you some information about what you may be going through. I don't have insurance either so I know what it's like to have to either live with a problem or ask other people for advice. Try to see a doctor though, in case there is something serious going on with your body. Advice and research is great but it doesn't amount to anything if you don't see a professional or do something about it. Good luck.
  • kdavidson08
    kdavidson08 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had gastic bypass surgery in 2005 and following that my hair would come out by the clump fulls. Make sure you are getting at least 60 grams of protein, take biotin, B6, and drink lots of water! It will help. There is also a shampoo that helps with thinning hair it is called Nioxin. It works really well. Hope that helps! :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Ask to have your thryoid checked! ASAP
    Hang in there!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Besides thyroid, ask them to do an "iron panel." In the meantime, you could try Biotin but it may take a LONG time to notice a difference.

I wanted to say that I like your pic. :-) so cute

Ditto the fat and proteins. When you get insurance so that you can go back to the doctor, definitely have your thyroid checked.
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options

Oh...my stress...you dont even know!! Since I have started on my WLJ, there have been 3 deaths, BIL went literally crazy, other BIL lost his job, hubby lost his job, we moved & are living in an RV, still paying for old apartment & RV lot rent. UGH!!
    /quote]

How awful, I'm sorry about all that stuff happening to you. Hopefully the stress will subside, it could certainly be a contributing factor.

Since starting to supplement with biotin, and noticed less "shedding" and stronger nails, but your problem sounds more severe.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    A higher fat diet helps as well. Look for stuff like extra virgin olive oil, nuts, and avocado

Yeah, that's what my mom said...because my diet used to consist of all kinds of fat...now that I am eating better, I avoid i when I can.

This is a mistake IMO. Fat is higher in calories so many dieters avoid it too much, but fat is very good for your hair and skin. Without it I lose hair and my skin looks drawn. You don't want to go hog wild with fat since it is so high calorie, but try to get closer to your fat goal with good fats. Just a little olive oil on salads, cooked veggies or meats or a handful of nuts or a spoonful or two of a nut butter will bring it right up. And it just might save your hair. Plus it really makes your food taste better and keeps you full longer.
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and i saw my doctor who found it was a iron issue....
    you need to see your doctor sooner than later....
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you can, have your doctor check your thyroid levels. Losing hair is one of the early signs of low thyroid function. Also, it's a sign of malnutrition, so make sure you eat enough, especially protein, since that's what hair is mostly made of.

I think I am eating enough...look @ my diary. I eat between 1400-1800/day.

Accounting for your age, weight and I made up your height at 5'0, your BMR is 2085, your maintenance calories or TDEE as Sedentary is 2500, 2870 as lightly active. Assuming you're at least lightly active as you have a young daughter, you're running at least over a 1000 calorie a day deficit before exercise.

You're not consuming very much protein OR fat, even as a percentage for your low intake. Try to exceed your protein goal daily and nail your fat goal.
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through everyone else's posts, so I just wanted to let you know I had the same problem. It was iron. It wasn't even super low, just on the very low end. Once my doctor prescribed high iron supplements, it stopped falling out. Now I have crazy amounts of baby hairs, which isn't so cute, but I'm happy I don't pull chunks of hair out anymore every time my fingers run through it. My friends also don't complain that my hair is everywhere :). Iron is actually a common cause for hair loss in women.
  • pascale485
    pascale485 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I used to have all those symptoms when my thyroid gland wasn't stable.

Go see a doctor, it could get pretty ugly if you let it go on for long, I was stupid and young and started to hear voice and have dangerous agressive tantrums.

Now, one pill a day is all it needs!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    A higher fat diet helps as well. Look for stuff like extra virgin olive oil, nuts, and avocado

Yeah, that's what my mom said...because my diet used to consist of all kinds of fat...now that I am eating better, I avoid i when I can.

Why are you trying to avoid fat? Fat (especially from the foods mentioned above) is very good for you. I take in at least 25% of my calories from fat daily, usually more than that.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I had this problem on Weight Watchers when I wasn't eating enough fat. Check your fat intake. If you're way under every day, try some juggling around and increase your fat. It did stop when I started eating more fat.
    I had the same problem. A very wise person told me to try increasing my fats. I already take biotin daily... I increased my fat and protein from 15 to 30 and lowered my carbs to 40 and that has been working well for me so far. also, check the type of shampoo and conditioner you use, as well as any hair products for styling... there are some that are much worse for your hair than others.

My fat intake fluctuates from day to day. Some days I just have 24g and other days i'll have 70g.
    Just looked @ my weekly intake and some weeks I am pretty close to the goal, sometimes not, sometimes way under goal.

I just use Suave Naturals. and I dont know how to do my hair, so I dont use styling products. I'm pretty natural & I let my hair air dry after bathing.