Tanning??

Options

Replies

• kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I don't tan, I just burn instantly :(
    Like Dale I've got a typically Scots complexion and am very pale skinned. I would love to tan, but that's never going to happen. I get freckles in the sun and have to slap on spf 50 if I'm going to be in the sun for long periods. :glasses: However, I'm also rather hirsute, so fake tan is not an option, unless I want to have orange-hairy arms, legs, beard & chest :laugh:

My beloved husband tans naturally and quickly :grumble:
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    I use Palmers gradual tanner. It takes 2 or 3 days of application to get to my preferred shade so I know I'm not going to turn orange.
    Tanned skin looks more toned in my opinion but I'm not too keen on real tans because my dad has been prone to skin cancer and now he has been getting melanomas
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    As a licensed esthetician, I am strongly opposed to tanning beds! Even if you take the skin cancer factor away, tanning will really age your skin and can cause hyperpigmentation (dark spots/freckles). You can't reverse the effect of damaging your collagen and elastin, once it's gone it's gone - and tanning even a little contributes to the damage. Products can temporarily help, but nothing is permanent.

I love being tan as much as the next girl, but if you're gonna tan, spray tan is the way to go. Please don't use the beds! Love your skin and treat it well!

All I heard was that sound when adults talked in Peanuts... lol

Y.O.L.O - You only live once. Enjoy it.
    THat's a hoot! I LOVE to tan and feel calm and relaxed when I have one... but I don't do booth. the beach,, with the food and relaxation and everything involved is GOOD. my last tan-fest mentally lasted me for almost 2 1/2 months. and YES, tanning is a sport
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I tan every year. Just started last week for this year. Not for vanity, but because I ride a motorcycle . I'm half Irish. Pretty pale. I find that if I get a base tan going before summer, and use my spf, especially on my ears and nose, I am less likely to burn while on long bike trips or when on vacation.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I use SPF 30, but still end up a little tiny bit darker by the end of summer. But by "darker," I'm talking instead of using "ivory" instead of "bisque" foundation. :laugh:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I tan... and I love it!

My mom has had pre-melenoma and I've had many moles taken off to be checked.. and none have came back yet as cancer. It's a fact of life that I have a lot of moles... and little bit of sun/tanning beds won't hurt them :)
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I used to go to tanning beds. Now I wear sunscreen, AND reapply, but as much time as I spend outdoors when it's warm, I still pick up a little tan and I'm fine with that. I do love the feeling of the warm sun on my skin, though.

I am not SUPER pale naturally, I have sort of a light olive skin tone. Plus I eat plenty of colorful fruits and veggies (addicted to sweet potatoes, carrots, red peppers and greens)... and I think that gives me a little glow.

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/21/5887384-tan-schman-for-a-better-glow-eat-your-veggies
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I tan...year round. Winter, at the salon. Summer, hours on the beach. I know that I will pay for it later in life but I enjoy the sun and I do use sunscreen.

My guilty pleasure, I suppose. :)
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    I live in Florida. I just go outside. But I wear SPF for even the most minimal sun exposure. I do usually end up with some kind of tan though because when I'm at the beach, I actually spend most of my time in the water (gasp!). But when I'm on the beach I'm full of SPF 30 and huddled under the umbrella.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I tan in natural sunlight and i wear spf 50 but still get very dark.I don't care if a person has a tan or not as long as it is the most flattering look for them, but I understand others not being tan for health reasons. I used to be tannorexic. Not a good look. ... It will definitely catch up with you at some point!!!!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I don't believe the hype about the whole skin cancer thing.

I think those cases tend to belong to tanning 'abuse' rather than the average user.

I used to burn quite bad every time I went on holiday so I started getting a base tan in advance. Ended up looking better cos of the tan anyway, and since I don't ever burn.

Tanning is the body's natural defence against the sun. It is why from an evolutionary point of view, those living in sunnier climes have darker skin naturally whilst those further north tend to be pale. It is to do with the uptake of vitamin D. Paler skin absorbs more vitamin D and because the further north the less yearly sunlight there is, it needs to be absorbed as much as possible when it is there. Conversely if there is plenty of sun then it needs to be restricted via the skin tanning itself.

The studies that suggest there is no such thing as a healthy tan were based on Australia and then exported across the rest of the world.

In fact - one of the results of the study is that a lot of older people are seeing issues typical of low vitamin D through following the advice to always stay out of the sun.

To me - using a sun bed is a way I can control exactly how much I am exposed to it at a time and build my skin's natural resistance up gradually.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I love being multiracial - year round tan, no need to go to the tanning bed or lay out in the sun for hours. I personally think that all tanning is boring and stupid. But that's just me.
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    1. I am a firm believer that SPF lotions cause skin cancer
    2. We all have to die from something
    3. I prefer to tan in the sun cause its free and I am a cheapo. Also God made the sun so I feel safe under it lol.
    4. Some people smoke, some people tan, I use SWEET n LOW!.... Others choose to get hit by a bus. To each their own!
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I tan easily in the summer so I usually just use a gradual tanning lotion in the winter months if I want a glow and then in the summer I don't have to be outside long to tan. I know too many people that have gotten skin cancer due to tanning beds (and some of them with olive or darker skin).
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I tan in a tanning bed and outside when summer comes. If i dont tan before i spend the whole summer burning.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    x39.jpg
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't believe the hype about the whole skin cancer thing.

I think those cases tend to belong to tanning 'abuse' rather than the average user.
    my grandfather was a coal miner when he was young and a school teacher from when he was in his 20s-60s. he was a redhead when younger and comes from german and irish ancestry.
    he has been diagnosed with melanoma multiple times.
    do you know how often he even tans? never. i have never seen him tanning. any time i see him outside for an extended period of time, he's wearing one of those big floppy hats to protect his head, ears, and face and sunscreen, plus he generally wears a long sleeve shirt.
    no, tanning "abuse" is not the cause of skin cancer. the cause is exposure to uv radiation.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm sure she was serious. There are some pretty neat chemicals in our personal care products. You can look yours up here: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/browse/moisturizer/

I think pale is pretty, on me at least. My husband likes my freckles. I also think tans are just skin damage. However, I am outside a lot, and almost can't help but pick up a little color by the end of summer. I liken someone getting a "base tan" in a tanning bed so they don't burn later to someone lighting up some full flavors so that their lites don't make them cough at the bar later.
    x39.jpg
  • TheReese1206
    Options
    I just noticed I posted this in the wrong place. I'm sorry. I meant for this to go in the chit chat forum.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    today is the first time in my life ( I think) that I cut the grass with a shirt on instead of tanning. a sweat shirt no less. it was only about 45 or 50 degrees I HATE to waste that hour in the sun