Tanning??

Options

Replies

• chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I don't believe the hype about the whole skin cancer thing.

I think those cases tend to belong to tanning 'abuse' rather than the average user.
    my grandfather was a coal miner when he was young and a school teacher from when he was in his 20s-60s. he was a redhead when younger and comes from german and irish ancestry.
    he has been diagnosed with melanoma multiple times.
    do you know how often he even tans? never. i have never seen him tanning. any time i see him outside for an extended period of time, he's wearing one of those big floppy hats to protect his head, ears, and face and sunscreen, plus he generally wears a long sleeve shirt.
    no, tanning "abuse" is not the cause of skin cancer. the cause is exposure to uv radiation.

But if this is the case then he hasn't been exposed to UV?
  • tarak83
    tarak83 Posts: 40
    Options
    I tan, but not religiously. It's the only thing that keeps my psoriasis at bay!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My opinion is, If you want to drastically heighten your risk of skin cancer, go in a tanning bed. I went to one before I got married (I had the craziest tan line on my back and needed to fix it), and although I went for 3-4 days a week for 2 weeks, I hardly changed anything, except getting rid of that tan line. I'm very pale, but have an olive complexion so I usually have a tough time getting a tan- it takes my skin a long time to change colour. I believe that in the winter I'm pale and pasty and in the summer I have a nice glow- it's just the natural way.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I love having a tan, I always feel so much better about my body and myself when I have a tan! I just use Sally Hansen, it's easy to put on and easy to get off xx
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I love my ivory-ish skin. Other people seem to have a huge problem with the fact that I have no "color" and I get rather rude comments about how I must never go outside. I'm French-Canadian and English, for ****'s sake.

However, some people look awesome with a tan. No judging either way (although I think it's a general consensus that overexposure to UV tanning beds is a no-no).
  • Lab2809
    Lab2809 Posts: 58
    Options
    This topic made me thankful that I never have to tan. Lol.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I'm sure she was serious. There are some pretty neat chemicals in our personal care products. You can look yours up here: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/browse/moisturizer/

I think pale is pretty, on me at least. My husband likes my freckles. I also think tans are just skin damage. However, I am outside a lot, and almost can't help but pick up a little color by the end of summer. I liken someone getting a "base tan" in a tanning bed so they don't burn later to someone lighting up some full flavors so that their lites don't make them cough at the bar later.
    I think you got your analogy the wrong way round - it would be like someone smoking lights so that their full flavours don't make them cough later.

I guess it is horses for courses to a certain extent. Personally I know that I will hardly ever apply sun cream when I'm outside. By getting the base tan down I know I have potentially caused damage, but that base tan will prevent against further damage, of which I believe for me there would be more of given my love of getting out in the sun and my laziness surrounding sun cream.

Also tans look cool and I'm not going to live forever, I'd rather look good in the meantime.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a safe tan and I get so mad at "health clubs" "gyms" that have tanning beds......Seriously, we are here to get healthy not cancer!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I don't believe the hype about the whole skin cancer thing.

I think those cases tend to belong to tanning 'abuse' rather than the average user.
    my grandfather was a coal miner when he was young and a school teacher from when he was in his 20s-60s. he was a redhead when younger and comes from german and irish ancestry.
    he has been diagnosed with melanoma multiple times.
    do you know how often he even tans? never. i have never seen him tanning. any time i see him outside for an extended period of time, he's wearing one of those big floppy hats to protect his head, ears, and face and sunscreen, plus he generally wears a long sleeve shirt.
    no, tanning "abuse" is not the cause of skin cancer. the cause is exposure to uv radiation.

But if this is the case then he hasn't been exposed to UV?

Which you get from tanning beds and sun.........
  • CarolanneG
    Options
    I'm a total 'tanorexic' and I don't care!! :laugh:
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    sexyminxinthemaking Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    im tanned but i tan the healthy way

out of the st tropez bottle:laugh:
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    i refuse to tan. plenty of people tell me i "should" because i'm the lightest brown girl they've ever met, but nope.

i refuse.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm sure she was serious. There are some pretty neat chemicals in our personal care products. You can look yours up here: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/browse/moisturizer/

I think pale is pretty, on me at least. My husband likes my freckles. I also think tans are just skin damage. However, I am outside a lot, and almost can't help but pick up a little color by the end of summer. I liken someone getting a "base tan" in a tanning bed so they don't burn later to someone lighting up some full flavors so that their lites don't make them cough at the bar later.
    I think you got your analogy the wrong way round - it would be like someone smoking lights so that their full flavours don't make them cough later.

I guess it is horses for courses to a certain extent. Personally I know that I will hardly ever apply sun cream when I'm outside. By getting the base tan down I know I have potentially caused damage, but that base tan will prevent against further damage, of which I believe for me there would be more of given my love of getting out in the sun and my laziness surrounding sun cream.

Also tans look cool and I'm not going to live forever, I'd rather look good in the meantime.

No, my analogy was how I meant it: the base tan in a tanning bed is like the full flavors because you get a higher dose of UV from a tanning bed than from sunlight, which is lower UV, so sunlight is like the lite cigarettes. Certainly thats true at my latitude. People go in tanning beds for, what a few minutes at a time? But you can be outside all day in full sunshine and only pick up minimal color.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I spray tan at least once a week. I'm super fair skinned and the thought of wrinkles keeps me out of the beds. Plus, I've never EVER tanned my face so spray tanning gets me pretty even. And I don't have to wear much makeup!
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I will definitely go to the tanning bed for a quick fix. Like before I left for Florida. It was too chilly at home to lie out and get a base, so I tanned twice. I just burn way too easily to risk it. Once I get a tan, I can maintain by lying out on my back porch naked :)
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I also use the Malibu Hemp lotion that has a self-tanner. It smells great and is a great moisturizer and skin firmer!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I use XEN-TAN a sunless tanner that gives you an olive tone. LOVE it!
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have tried tanning, and apparently I am one of the freaks who gets bulb burns. No all over lovely glow... red angry burns that look like tanning bed bulbs. No thanks.

I am also a little too naturally pasty white, so I pretty much burn severely, peel, and go right back to white. So, I have resigned myself to looking like Snow White.

My husband is a computer/opera geek and is actually whiter than I am.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    As a licensed esthetician, I am strongly opposed to tanning beds! Even if you take the skin cancer factor away, tanning will really age your skin and can cause hyperpigmentation (dark spots/freckles). You can't reverse the effect of damaging your collagen and elastin, once it's gone it's gone - and tanning even a little contributes to the damage. Products can temporarily help, but nothing is permanent.

I love being tan as much as the next girl, but if you're gonna tan, spray tan is the way to go. Please don't use the beds! Love your skin and treat it well!

All I heard was that sound when adults talked in Peanuts... lol

Y.O.L.O - You only live once. Enjoy it.

Cancer is fun!
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i used to go in the spring to "prepare" for summer. or do it before i went to the beach or something.

this year i have only gone a few times and for now i'm done. i've just been using self tanner (my new BFF), but i will lay out in the real sun when weather permits :)

ETA: grammar ;)