Eat clean at McDonalds

Options

Replies

• Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    No one here eats clean because clean is a figment of your imagination.

And now everyone can safely ignore anything you say.

lol give me a break. Go ahead and give me a clear cut, explicit definition of clean. I expect something that isn't remotely arbitrary or ambiguous. I'll save you time: you can't.

Besides, you're paleo. Let's be real now.

When someone makes the choice to eat "clean" they are choosing to eliminate all processed foods and extra additives from their diet. Basically, you are choosing to eat whole, unrefined foods.

The basics of eating clean include - eating lots of fruits and vegetables. These are straight from nature - the idea is to stay away from anything that may have been altered in any way.

Include meats, however; "whole" meats that you have chosen straight from the butcher or prepared yourself. You would be very surprised to find out what is actually in ground turkey.

Enjoy whole grains - these are grains that are still complete and haven't been broken down in any form. Examples include: brown rice, whole wheat and other whole grains. You will have to get used to reading over food labels. Just because a product says its "whole grain" does not mean it is. It also does not mean they have not added a bunch of other ingredients as well.

Eat fewer ingredients - try not to purchase items with more than 4-6 ingredients in the ingredient list. Also, be sure you recognize every ingredient. If you can't pronounce it, you probably shouldn't put it in your body.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to the Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad. There is enough glaze & lime juice that you only need about 1/2 of the dressing packet. I save the rest for another salad later. I know what they say, "Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a hooker for a hug." I don't care about what the haters say!!

This is my "go to" McDs meal too:)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you can't pronounce it, you probably shouldn't put it in your body.
    What if I know how to pronounce chemical names? Is it OK then?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to the Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad. There is enough glaze & lime juice that you only need about 1/2 of the dressing packet. I save the rest for another salad later. I know what they say, "Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a hooker for a hug." I don't care about what the haters say!!

This! The salad is so good. I use about 1/3 of the dressing. I actually look forward to having McDonalds because of this salad!
  • HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think for a lot of people on MFP, like me, don't need the temptation of eating at fast food restaraunts. Not to say they don't have healthier options but lets face facts most of us got in the shape we are in by making bad choices and gave into temptations of greesy fatty foods. When I first started my journey of weight loss I really missed the fast food but now I feed my body for fuel and fast food is like putting water in your gas tank (there is no place for it). Maybe I am being a bit too extrem but my thought is changing my lifestyle is more important than trying to relive old habits and trying to make a round peg fit in a square hole. This is just my perspective everyone I am sure there are options at fast food joints but I would starve before stepping foot inside another one!!!!!!
  • SinkTheBismarck
    Options
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

has this not been posted yet?

You don't have to eat 100% "clean" all the time to be healthy. So for all those people way up there on you're high horses, live a little :happy:

Exactly! I know I will ocasionally want to eat out with friends. I know I will eventually in life just crave the bad stuff. Eating clean 100% of the time just does not fit my lifestyle (and I don't really wanna change it to that point! While I do think it could be good on my body, my mental health needs a little treat sometimes, lol).

So yeah. At least once every two weeks I'll eat half a pizza or a mcchicken WITH BUN AND SAUCE (ZOMG! :laugh: ). That won't kill my hard work. That won't make me fat. And I consider myself lucky for not being so obsessed about it.
  • Lib_B
    Options

I learned to read using phonics, i've taken several college-level chemistry courses - i can also pronounce them. Figuratively - long *kitten* chemical compounds probably don't have a place in our bodies. We survived thousands of years without them and in the last 150 yrs or so, we've found it necessary to load our food with man-made concoctions for the sake of preservation, color, etc. there are some of us who feel it is unnecessary to put these things in our body when we don't know the long-term impact this could have on our health. ever wonder why girls develop breasts and start periods so young? 50 years ago, the average age of menses was 14 or 15. now it's 11. (hormones in our food? estrogen in our water?) autism is on the rise. (is it better diagnosis? or could it be food related?) i guess my point is, we don't know. but i DO KNOW that i feel it is my responsibility to care for my children and that means I am going to do what I can to ameliorate any possible long-term problems that we could find out are associated with these foods. It doesn't make them 'bad' per se. If people want to line the pockets of ADM and Monsanto - go for it. I'm not willing to make people rich at the possible expense of my kids' health. That's my personal choice. I don't care what other people do. I believe someone was looking for a definition and so i did my best to provide one that the majority of "clean" eaters use.
  • Lib_B
    Options

Smart *kitten*. :grumble: I learned to read using phonics, i've taken several college-level chemistry courses - i can also pronounce them. Figuratively - long *kitten* chemical compounds probably don't have a place in our bodies. We survived thousands of years without them and in the last 150 yrs or so, we've found it necessary to load our food with man-made concoctions for the sake of preservation, color, etc. there are some of us who feel it is unnecessary to put these things in our body when we don't know the long-term impact this could have on our health. ever wonder why girls develop breasts and start periods so young? 50 years ago, the average age of menses was 14 or 15. now it's 11. (hormones in our food? estrogen in our water?) autism is on the rise. (is it better diagnosis? or could it be food related?) i guess my point is, we don't know. but i DO KNOW that i feel it is my responsibility to care for my children and that means I am going to do what I can to ameliorate any possible long-term problems that we could find out are associated with these foods. It doesn't make them 'bad' per se. If people want to line the pockets of ADM and Monsanto - go for it. I'm not willing to make people rich at the possible expense of my kids' health. That's my personal choice. I don't care what other people do. I believe someone was looking for a definition and so i did my best to provide one that the majority of "clean" eaters use.

I will also note that my kids, OCCASIONALLY, with their grandparents, do get Happy Meals, etc. My hubby and I also go out to eat at local restaurants that prepare locally grown foods. Not always "clean." No one is deprived. We have a healthy balance.
  • Lib_B
    Options
    final thought and then i'm gonna leave this thread alone. 3 books you should seriously think about reading -

Omnivores Dilemma
    In Defense of Food
    The End of Overeating

you'll rethink what you know about food, how the food companies have manipulated us into becoming "food addicts" and learn why it's so important on a much bigger environmental scale to eat foods sourced locally. the average plate has traveled 1500 miles. think of the impact of that plate on our environment - in fossil fuels, soil erosion, water contamination, etc. all in the name of cheap food.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Salad with dressing on the side. Depending on what you get, maybe ask for some of the fatty ingredients to be limited or removed.
  • kieva626
    kieva626 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Ill do a grilled chicken sandwich (naked:no condiments) between lettuce, I actually enjoy it a lot lol
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I think they have bananas
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are laughing or being sarcastic. I think everyone's been in a situation where they had to eat something on the go because they didn't plan ahead of time or forgot to bring something.

So true...I have a list on my phone of things from every fast food place around that I can eat and their calories so I'm always prepared...it happens to all of us!! I think it's a good idea to be prepared!
  • malindaja
    malindaja Posts: 29
    Options
    ummmm ask for a glass of H2O!?!? :)
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    The Southwest Grilled Chicken salad with no dressing. It tastes great with the lime glaze that's on it and doesn't need any dressing. It's awesome! They also have a pretty decent grilled chicken sandwich, just get it with no mayo. Plus, apple slices are a pretty good snack and a great replacement for fries.

I'm a fan of their SW grilled chicken salad. I agree, it really doesn't need the dressing, but even with the dressing it's only 399 calories. (Without it's 299). I eat it whenever my son begs me into going to an "inside playground".
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: , OH, you were serious? :huh: -______________________-

umm lick the sidewalk outside, I heard that's about as clean as their food, lol or water

^ lmao...this!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Smart *kitten*. :grumble:
    Excuse me? Maybe you need a nap? I was pointing out what a useless guideline the "if you can't pronounce it" thing is. It makes no sense at all. The name of something is not a good indication of how healthy it is.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten at McD's in years but this post has some great ideas if you're in that situation.
  • mekasjaun
    mekasjaun Posts: 19
    Options
    Belive it or not the "healthiest' thing to eat a Micky D's is a hamburger minus the bread. You wouldn't belive all the addatives they add to the grilled chicken breast to preserve it!!!!!!!! I sometimes opt for their yogurt parfait.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "Mmmm I love their nuggets...I haven't had a quarter pounder since November...cause people keep telling me I'll get fat :grumble:"
    [/quote]

really? Everything in moderation. It's not healthy, but every once in awhile is not going to derail your efforts.

I absolutely love their oatmeal and their parfaits. And yesterday, I splurged and had a Qtr Pound w/ cheese and small fry. I stayed under my calorie goal, stayed under in sodium and fat. Did I feel gross after eating it? A bit, but every once in awhile it's worth it.