Mega Millions...What would you do with the money??

Options

Replies

• MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would pay this house off and give it to my father-in-law so he can finally retire...I think it's time,he is 74!
    I would buy a dream home and pay off my car. I would help out any family and friends that need it.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I would roll around naked it in!
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    Pay off the mortgages, pay off the cars, pay off the cards. Buy a Leopard 44 Catamaran, outfit it, provision and puddle jump to Hiva Oa!!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    1) Pay off all debt: student loans, car, etc.
    2) Pay off all parents' debt.
    3) Purchase new vehicles for myself and fiance.
    4) Purchase a house and furnish said house with all our dream furniture/decorations.
    5) Invest. Put a sizeable chunk into savings accounts, money market CD's, college funds for future children, etc.
    6) Take all our friends and family on a huge vacation somewhere awesome, all expenses paid by us.
    7) Donate to favorite charities: children, animal rescue, and military family organizations.
    8) Probably quit my current job and invest money into the start-up of a dream job: professional organization & planning.
  • srea76
    srea76 Posts: 10
    Options
    Vacation all over Europe. Buy a Black Range Rover. Get a pair of Christian Louboutins. Give some to our families and best friends. Buy a new house and put in all of the handicap accessible stuff my son will need. Set up college for the kids.

we just finished about a 30k remodel on our home to make it accessible for my wife. If I ever build another house I will do that from start and not spend too much more. Just never realize when or if you may need it until its necessary.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I would buy about 100 acres sprawling across West Texas, and build a HUGE place to resuce animals and give them proper care. Dogs, cats, pigs, horses, etc. Would have 24 hour care for them.

New car, pay sisters' college, parents bills, etc.

Donate to quite a few charities.

I hope we both win....then there'll be a great animal sanctuary in West Texas and in Ohio....with franchises all over the nation. almost all of my $$$ would go to family, friends and charity. A gift like that in your life is meant to be shared~
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I don't think all the money in the world could buy me what I most want... Cures for my son and brother, both have chronic lifelong illnesses. But I'd definitely donate tons of $ to try to find them cures. I'd put money aside for their treatments, money aside for my kids, nieces and nephews college funds and have some fun with the rest.

I am so sorry to hear that. I would donate to St. Jude because it has always been close to my heart.
  • afalls11
    afalls11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    For me.. this would include the following:

1. Pay off all debt ( house and car)
    2. Invest
    3. Buy around the world tickets for my husband and 2 kids. Travel and see the world.
    4. Help the true family and friends that have supported and been by my side.. because I know others will only be after the money
    5. Donate, donate, donate
    6. Build my dream house

I'm crossing my fingers. I wish everybody good luck.
  • w_i_n_d_y
    w_i_n_d_y Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    First I would make sure that my family and friends lives were made comfortable.

Then I would like to start a Charity called Random Acts of Kindess that would be geared towards families that have two incomes, families with SAHM's, or really any family that is trying and still struggling to make ends meet. One aspect of it would be where an application is submitted for a specific event like necessary home repairs, medical/dental out of pocket expenses, replacing older vehicles, anything that a family that lives paycheck-to-paycheck would have difficulty taking care of immediately. I also envisioned, going to banks and randomly giving people $1000 to add to their deposits, visiting grocery stores and paying off their groceries, and things like that. I would target the music, movie and sports industries to get involved because these families are one of the biggest contributors to their record, movie, arena and merchandise sales. Maybe there can even be a tv show where celebrities would go to a family's home and surprise them or show up at a car dealership and buy everyone there a car.

Yes, I have given this a lot of thought.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I would do the obvious pay off bills, buy a bigger house (I actually love my house now so maybe just remodel, we'll see, maybe do both lol) new cars, help some friends and family. Then I would quit my job go back to school for personal trainging and nutritionist degree and open the biggest, baddest gym with everything you could possibly think of besides the normal things in a gym. It would definately have a pool and indoor track for starters.
  • MollyDukes
    Options
    I don't think all the money in the world could buy me what I most want... Cures for my son and brother, both have chronic lifelong illnesses. But I'd definitely donate tons of $ to try to find them cures. I'd put money aside for their treatments, money aside for my kids, nieces and nephews college funds and have some fun with the rest.

I am so sorry to hear that. I would donate to St. Jude because it has always been close to my heart.

I am so sorry to here this.
  • MollyDukes
    Options

Then I would like to start a Charity called Random Acts of Kindess that would be geared towards families that have two incomes, families with SAHM's, or really any family that is trying and still struggling to make ends meet. One aspect of it would be where an application is submitted for a specific event like necessary home repairs, medical/dental out of pocket expenses, replacing older vehicles, anything that a family that lives paycheck-to-paycheck would have difficulty taking care of immediately. I also envisioned, going to banks and randomly giving people $1000 to add to their deposits, visiting grocery stores and paying off their groceries, and things like that. I would target the music, movie and sports industries to get involved because these families are one of the biggest contributors to their record, movie, arena and merchandise sales. Maybe there can even be a tv show where celebrities would go to a family's home and surprise them or show up at a car dealership and buy everyone there a car.

^^^this :)
  • childofbodom123
    childofbodom123 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would buy a nice house and have an extension to the side and I would recreate the library from Beauty And The Beast for my fiance as she loves books! I would also have about 10 acres land and get her loads of animals to care for as she loves animals!

For me I would have a recording studio and another room with a cinema screen. Also a snooker room with a bar.

If I won the Euro millions I would build and fund a recuperation centre for help for heroes and use a bunch of money to help fundraise.

Besides that, I have no idea!
  • w_i_n_d_y
    w_i_n_d_y Posts: 216 Member
    Options

^^^this :)

No stealing my idea! Lol. Or at least give me credit and a few million!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Move to Germany and then travel Europe
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    sit back on an Island with a drink and a big fatty and smile !!!!
  • najamon
    najamon Posts: 14
    Options
    First, I would get my mom out the nursing home so she can have a wrap around services at her own house and then pay bills.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Run and hide. Cash take home is about 240-270 million based on estimates. I think everyone from MFP and beyond would be at my door.
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Pay off my house, have 2 more babies, buy a bigger family car, give some to mother-in-law, put some away for kids, get a boob job and the rest is put away.
  • MrsMrtz
    MrsMrtz Posts: 73
    Options
    Wow, although y'all are saying a lot, it's small change compared to how much you'd make!

Think of it this way, at least in CO, the current amount you'd get for the lump sum (after taxes) is around $328 million.

If you gave 10 people 1% of that, each of them would get $3.3 million and you'd still have almost $300 million!

Also, taxes are paid by the giver, not the recipient, so YOU would pay taxes on that $3.3 million, not them....assuming you bought a house or college, those are also considered taxable, btw. So even if you did pay taxes for all of them, you'd still be up to around $34-35 million spent total.

That would mean you'd have $293 million left. If you are currently 35 and live another 60 years (totally doable), you could spend around $94,000 a week for the rest of your life!

Personally, I don't think most people even understand these numbers - and of course the math above doesn't factor in how much you'd make investing it (and even at a conservative 5% - with paying 15% taxes on those investments - you'd still make $25,000 per week on the bulk of your money, so really you'd be making around $120,000 a week for the rest of your life!

I'd travel, buy tailor made clothes, help others, and invest wisely.

...aweeesome! thanks for breaking it down sesame street style!