Beginners Walking Challenge

spunkiemunkie503
spunkiemunkie503 Posts: 66
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone up for a walking challenge? I have alot of weight to lose and need some motivation when it comes to exercise. I am thinking small goals at first and go from there....

Replies

• ontheskinnyroad
    ontheskinnyroad Posts: 205 Member
    Sounds fun. What are you thinking?
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    I'll join in. Any ideas on what you want to do?
  • IMaybe small goals like 5lb weight loss or may be set certain days to walk and amount and compare and check in the next day....Open for suggestions. I know I do better with a buddy system. If someone depends on me I am much more accountable! :bigsmile: :happy: :bigsmile: :tongue:
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    I walk a lot (it's pretty much my major form of exercise) and it's really helped me shape up my hips & butt. :smile: I'm more than happy to join in with you all!

How is everyone's fitness level? When I first started walking, it was on the treadmill and since then, I've switched to the track at the gym (due to Achilles tendonitis that developed in the course of doing inclined walking on the treadmill :grumble: ). I go back to the treadmill from time to time (like when I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago), but I'm really digging the track!

So, I guess what we can do as beginners is to do a bit of a fitness test--see how far you can go (or how fast you can go) in 10 minutes (to make it so that you don't over-stress your body if you're just starting out!). Set that as your baseline and go from there.

What do you all think?

...I think that my ultimate goal (for the present, that is!) is to walk a 5K in less than 40 minutes.

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
  • Open for suggestions....maybe 5lbs weight loss for the first goal and set certain days to walk and time frame and check in the next day? What do you think? :bigsmile:
  • stratdl
    Personally, I think that a walking challenge may be better served by a frequency/distance/speed/endurance type of goal rather than a weight lost kind of goal. That way, you incorporate walking into your daily life and you will be more apt to stick with it whenever you finally reach your goal weight. :bigsmile:

That being said, how about a beginning goal to walk 3 days a week for 30 minutes a day for six weeks? Or maybe 200 minutes/400 minutes/XXX minutes for the month of June?
  • I definetly need this! Thanks to everyone willing to step up! WoooHooo!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • I like the 3 days/30min/6weeks....Sounds great. What day shall we start and what should our goal date be?
  • stratdl
    No time like the present! :happy: How about we start this Sunday (May 31st) and go until July 11th?
  • Kidvicious28
    Alright! So we're starting May 31st, doing 30 mins/3 days until July 11. ok sounds good to me. When do we "check in". Do you think there should be a check in day just to see how everyone is doing each week? :happy:
  • We can start on the 31st....anyone want to get started a little sooner...very anxious to get moving? I think a check in day would be a good thing...helps keep us on track.
  • Kidvicious28
    Whenever you guys want to start is fine with me. Sunday or sooner, whichever :smile:
  • Sounds good How about Friday May 29 through July 3.....and check in on Fridays????
  • Kidvicious28
    That'll be great! We'll start on friday then :happy:
  • Kidvicious28
    What exactly should we put down for our check in on fridays? How far we walked and for how long? and if we lost any weight???
  • stratdl
    How about checking in on Friday mornings? We can say "I walked XX minutes on Day 1 (put in the date), XX minutes on Day 2 (put in the date) and XX minutes on Day 3 (put in the date)." Any extra walking days can be added and we can (as a bonus) put in our weight loss for the week if we wish.

Does this sound okay to everyone?

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
  • Sounds great to me.:drinker: :bigsmile: :happy:
  • So Friday it is and ladies we can do this!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :drinker: lots of water
  • Kidvicious28
    Yea def! I think it's a great way to incorporate more walking into my life. Putting down my weight each friday morning will just give me more motivation to keep up with my exercise.
    Sounds great! Good luck on friday :happy:
  • Jill42MN
    Jill42MN Posts: 35
    I would like to join also - I do walk everyday for about 60 minutes - but it is nice to know there is someone to check in with! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.