Beginners Walking Challenge

Options

Replies

• Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hi Team- I took a 5 -6 mile bike ride today and swam for 2 hours . I just went out to do my 2 miles and it's getting ready to storm so I came home. The lightening and wind was freaking me out! I'll get 5 miles in tomorrow. A big GREAT JOB to everyone who put miles in today ! Cindy :heart:
  • emmie110
    emmie110 Posts: 176
    Options
    Hi Team- I took a 5 -6 mile bike ride today and swam for 2 hours . I just went out to do my 2 miles and it's getting ready to storm so I came home. The lightening and wind was freaking me out! I'll get 5 miles in tomorrow. A big GREAT JOB to everyone who put miles in today ! Cindy :heart:

You are an inspiration. Great job!!! :flowerforyou:
  • taxgirlie
    taxgirlie Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm new about 2 weeks in...I'd like to join this walking challenge. I don't know how to add friends or keep messages. Can someone help me?

212585.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    G'morning walkers! I have a question, does anyone else have a problem with their shins hurting quite a bit when they walk? I stretch before I walk, I don't know why they do it, maybe cause I'm not used to it? I think it's what is holding me back from walking quicker, and my second mile is always easier than my first. It's hard to keep going but I push through it anyway, anyone have any tips or news about this?
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    G'morning walkers! I have a question, does anyone else have a problem with their shins hurting quite a bit when they walk? I stretch before I walk, I don't know why they do it, maybe cause I'm not used to it? I think it's what is holding me back from walking quicker, and my second mile is always easier than my first. It's hard to keep going but I push through it anyway, anyone have any tips or news about this?

Good morning Arienna!

When I was early into my walking, I'd get sore shins quite a bit, so what you're going through is perfectly normal. As to what can work for stretching, there's a stretch you CAN do to loosen that shin up a bit. At least, it works for me.

First of all, take off your shoes--it's almost impossible to do this stretch with your shoes on. Next, place the knuckles of your toes on the ground and straighten out your foot--mostly to the outside (in other words, more towards the pinky toe than towards the big toe). I may not quite be explaining this well--it's kind of hard to put into words!!! Anyway, what you should try to do is put the tops of your outer toes on the ground and then push your ankle out a bit. I would do this stretch right before walking and then right when I got done so that the muscles and tendons along your shins stay nice and loose.

I hope this helps you out!!! :flowerforyou:

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Thanks I'll definitely try it out, I think I get what you mean, it is hard to explain things sometimes :laugh: Thanks for the advice!
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Great job Cindy! Every time I see your posts it makes me want to go out and exercise more! That's great! Keep up the good work :flowerforyou:
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Well, I don't have problems with my shins, but I do have problems with my knees (at least yesterday and today I have). Not sure what the problem is. :ohwell:

Ugh, I know how u feel...my knees start hurting and I'm like "really? I haven't even got half way through my walk/jog! " but I keep pushing myself too.
    Do you think it's bad to push ourselves through the workout even when our knees/shins hurt?
  • cpafford79
    cpafford79 Posts: 88
    Options
    Sorry I didn't post on Friday! I actually took the day off from work and my internet is not working at home due to lightning damage.:grumble: Anyways, I walked/jogged 2.5 miles on Thursday and 2.5 miles on Friday. My original weight posted on the first day was guess (185 lbs.). Unfortunately, my actual weight was 188 lbs :embarassed: However, I am happy to report that I have already lost 1 lb as of this morning! :bigsmile:
  • stratdl
    Options
    Ugh, I know how u feel...my knees start hurting and I'm like "really? I haven't even got half way through my walk/jog! " but I keep pushing myself too.
    Do you think it's bad to push ourselves through the workout even when our knees/shins hurt?

I'm not sure--it depends upon the pain. I used to have quite a bit of knee pain when I was in college (walking all the way across campus in 5 minutes with a loaded backpack can be a bit hard on the body, you know!!!) and I found out it was not due to my knees but to my feet. You see, my toes and my knees were not in alignment. My knees would be pointed straight ahead but my toes would be at 45 degree angles out from straight ahead--I was rolling in on the arches of my feet, you see. This caused HUGE stress on my knees and it felt like someone was stabbing me directly behind my kneecap. :sad:

So, kidvicious, you may want to check out what your feet are doing as you're walking. If you find that you're pronating (rolling in on your arches), you may want to check into arch supports or even orthotics. If you're walking with your legs in alignment, you may want to take a little extra time to stretch and strengthen the muscles around your knees--they're key in knee stability (heck, you probably want to do that, anyway!). For the pain, you may want to consider ibuprofen (in case there is swelling in your joints) or acetominophen (Tylenol - it's an analgesic for pain) if you can (it may be there's a medical reason for you to not take these OTC meds).

Hope this helps you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Hi Walkers, Boy did ever storm here last night. Rain and hail and lightening for about 2 hours. The sun is out now and I just finished 2 miles in 33 minutes. We were a tad slower today because we had tons of puddles to dodge. I'll walk 2 more miles tonight. I hope everyone has a great day ! Cindy :heart:
  • emmie110
    Options
    I'm new about 2 weeks in...I'd like to join this walking challenge. I don't know how to add friends or keep messages. Can someone help me?

212585.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Welcome! To add Friends click on the person's name above their profile pic. That will take you to their profile. Then click the green button on the right 'Add as Friend'.
  • mom25grls
    mom25grls Posts: 5
    Options
    I would love to do this, I have another 40 lbs to go and would like to have them off by the end of the summer....but however long it takes I'm not going to complain lol.

I LOVe to walk, but am not inspired and hope that maybe with you all I could be.

I do have a question, how do you know you walk a mile? I live small town and just walk the streets (lol i know that sounds funny, but you all know what I mean). Is there a kind of standard thing that you walk a mile in like 12-15 minutes? :noway:

thanks!
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    I would love to do this, I have another 40 lbs to go and would like to have them off by the end of the summer....but however long it takes I'm not going to complain lol.

I LOVe to walk, but am not inspired and hope that maybe with you all I could be.

I do have a question, how do you know you walk a mile? I live small town and just walk the streets (lol i know that sounds funny, but you all know what I mean). Is there a kind of standard thing that you walk a mile in like 12-15 minutes? :noway:

thanks!
    Hi, You could choose the route you want to walk and drive it to see how many miles it is. Generally a 15 minute mile is fast. I try to get 13-14 minute miles. Good luck and have fun. Cindy :heart:
  • cpafford79
    cpafford79 Posts: 88
    Options
    I too live in a small town and just walk the streets in my neighborhood. I actually used my car to map out different routes. I'm sure the folks in my neighborhood thought I was crazy because I just kept driving by their house over and over. :laugh:
  • emmie110
    Options

thanks!

I have an Omron pedometer that gives the distance walked. You just need to calibrate it to your stride length (course I haven't even done that yet).
  • stratdl
    Options
    Hi Walkers, Boy did ever storm here last night. Rain and hail and lightening for about 2 hours. The sun is out now and I just finished 2 miles in 33 minutes. We were a tad slower today because we had tons of puddles to dodge. I'll walk 2 more miles tonight. I hope everyone has a great day ! Cindy :heart:

Way to go, Cindy! I'll bet that the air smelled really fresh and it was a great walk overall!

I plan on treadmill walking this afternoon after I'm done with work. I'll pretend that I'm walking with you (whether or not you're actually walking while I'm ON the treadmill!!!). :bigsmile:
  • Cindysunshine
    Options

Way to go, Cindy! I'll bet that the air smelled really fresh and it was a great walk overall!

I plan on treadmill walking this afternoon after I'm done with work. I'll pretend that I'm walking with you (whether or not you're actually walking while I'm ON the treadmill!!!). :bigsmile:
    Thanks. I'd love to walk with you! Have a great day ! Cindy :heart:
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Hey everyone! I haven't walked yet today, I'm thinking about going to the gym tonight and hopefully burning a lot of cals :tongue:
    Anyone going anywhere fun this summer? Any fun vacas?
  • spunkiemunkie503
    Options
    Wow, we all rock!!!! If we keep this up that weight will be flying off:laugh: Sorry I didn't get to post much the past couple of days. Hectic weekend with alot of time in the pool. Saturday I spent 2 hours swimming Sunday we spend 3 hours swimming and I plan to get my walk and more swimming in tonight. My walking days are Mon, Wed, Thurs. The motivation you ladies give is unbelievable. :bigsmile: :drinker: :wink: