Failing Marriage

Options
Alexstrasza
Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
I'm turning to you MFP, for advice. I've met so many wonderful people on this site...so I think I can trust your advice.

I am 23 years old.
My husband and I have been together for 3 years. Been married for just over a year.

I used to be a very spiritual person before I met him, but turned my back on it. (I am an eclectic pagan) I also used to be really passionate about certain political and ethical things. But again, I turned my back on it.
Within the past year I have found a lot of my faith and beliefs again.

This is affecting our marriage. We don't see eye to eye anymore. I love him, however I really don't think I'm "in" love. I feel like it might be time to move on.
But how do I even do that? We have two children together. I'm afraid my children will hate me for leaving their father.

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I would strongly caution you to speak with someone who knows you personally, and not ask for advice on any life decisions from random people on the internet. I'm sorry you are hurting, but this really isn't where you want to turn to for relationship advice. REALLY bad idea.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Umm.... I've been married for 12 years. It's not all roses and romance... it can have periods where it is hard work.

If your husband was abusive to you, or you were abusive to him, I'd tell you to think seriously about leaving your marriage. However, walking away from a huge commitment because you don't see "eye to eye" isn't a reason to leave, in my opinion. You won't see eye to eye on many things during your marriage, but you do have to learn how to communicated and how to work together.

And before you ask, yes, my husband and I are of different religions and have had to work hard over the years to find a balance that works for us and for our children.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Go to Dailystrength.org. there are alot of support groups there. I am on the Infedelity support group. Lots of good advice.
  • vicky1966
    vicky1966 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Is it failing, or are you just growing? Marriage is all about team work and friendship....long after the initial spark ignites! It's ok to not see eye to eye ...you are two different people with two value systems ...the work starts with having to combine those and be intradependant of each other.
  • Alexstrasza
    Options
    It's hard for me because my religious beliefs make him uncomfortable to the point he doesn't want me doing anything that would...I guess the word is "advertise" my religion.
    Basically I have to "hide" it.

He even went so far as to insult me and my beliefs.

I love him, I do. But I just don't think I'm in love with him. I believe we only stuck it out this long because we had kids together.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Get counseling,if not the both of you then just for yourself.
    It sounds as too much as happened too fast for the age you are,that is not an insult just an observation of the facts.
    You have to emotionally catch up with all that,the first blush and giddiness of a crush will always settle down so don`t be hasty in deciding you are not in love anymore.

If ultimately it can`t work out where you are happy then no matter what you do your kids will see it,that is life so even at a young age respect them enough to not try to fake something for them.

I hope you can refind what you are missing. :flowerforyou:
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first poster and would like to add that you should seek counseling... for yourself as and individual and with your husband for marriage counseling.

A divorce will have a LONG lasting impact on your children. I divorced my first husband when I was 23... I am now 51. My two sons lived with me and struggled with not having a father living with them for many years. My current husband has been wonderful to them, but it is not the same. Both boys are fine now, but their lives would have been different had they grown up in a family with both parents.

I am also a teacher, and see the impact divorce has on children from that perspective. There are some very sad children of divorced parents. If you can work it out with your husband, that would be the best thing for your children as long as there is no abuse in your marriage.

Had I known how much my divorce would impact my children back then, I would have worked harder to save the marriage... Don't get me wrong, my second husband is "the one" for me, but my divorce hurt my children...

Every marriage takes work... the grass is not really greener on the other side. Once the newness wears off, you must make great efforts to keep it going...

Good luck...
  • Alexstrasza
    Options
    So I should stay with him even though I'm not in love?

If it really would hurt my children to leave maybe that is what's best.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me because my religious beliefs make him uncomfortable to the point he doesn't want me doing anything that would...I guess the word is "advertise" my religion.
    Basically I have to "hide" it.

He even went so far as to insult me and my beliefs.

I love him, I do. But I just don't think I'm in love with him. I believe we only stuck it out this long because we had kids together.

Sounds like you both need to do a little compromising. Marriage is not a walk in the park. There will be times when you have differences of opinion. Maybe your religion could be expressed in your own way but don't insist that he take part?

Try couples counseling first. Don't leave the marriage yet.

I think you need to work through it. Giving up over differences in opinion is silly to me especially with two children to think about. Your religion may end up needing to be something you do on your own without him. You don't have to see eye-to-eye on everything.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    I know this is a silly question but have you talked him about this. It seems to me that you are asking us about this issue and not talking to the one person you should be talking to. He is involved and he needs to know. After that you need to talk to a counselor.

From a personal standpoint I know the feeling but love is ment to last and I do everything I can to talk to my hubby and let him know how I'm feeling about things. He also goes to church with me. When we first got married I went to his church because he wouldn't step foot in mine. Now he goes to church with me on his Sunday's off. You just have to be strong and love him for who he is not who you want him to be!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    A counselor that knows both of you personally would be better able to give you advice compared to strangers on the internet who only know what you tell them.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options

True love is not fallen into. True love comes after many years of living together... arguing... compromising... supporting. I think most long term marriages go through times when neither person feels "in love" with the other. I know in my 22 year marriage there have been times when I disliked my husband. I almost left him several times, and I'm sure he almost left me too.

But when the chips are down, he is always there for me. You don't get that from someone until you have stayed through some tough times. Three years is not enough time to build the loyalty and true love you are looking for.

If you leave now, you will eventually start over with someone else and go through similar difficulties with him.

True love is not romance... it is a partnership.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Don't stay if you're no longer in love with him. It's not fair to anyone. I often hear people say they "stayed for the children" and I have also had the pleasure of talking to many people who were once "the children" parents stayed for. People SERIOUSLY underestimate their children's perceptions. Your kids won't be able to articulate it now, but they will one day. Kids know. And are you modeling the relationship that you hope your children will one day have?

You deserve to have a healthy relationship. Your husband does too. Your children deserve the best of both of you. Don't go tearing out of your family for an immediate divorce, but keep the friendship of your husband and work together to create a healthy environment for your kids - however you have to do that. I'm a firm believer that NO ONE should compromise things that are essential to who they are at their core.
  • jennimben
    jennimben Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Have you sat down with him and had this exact same talk? If not, you should. And probably with a councilor like others have suggested. Or a mediator who can be unbiased, with both of you present and speaking openly and honestly. If you can't speak openly and honestly to save your relationship, then there are issues bigger than strangers can speak to.
  • Alexstrasza
    Options
    To answer some questions:

We have talked. We've been talking/arguing all day.

He has gone to counseling his own but flat out refuses couples counseling.

I'm also very much into the idea of natural living. (Like having my own farm, buying only organic, etc.) He does not want that. He wants to live in the city and live the life of a city dweller.

I'm just so confused.
  • DogsK
    DogsK Posts: 94
    Options
    Get counseling,if not the both of you then just for yourself.
    It sounds as too much as happened too fast for the age you are,that is not an insult just an observation of the facts.
    You have to emotionally catch up with all that,the first blush and giddiness of a crush will always settle down so don`t be hasty in deciding you are not in love anymore.

If ultimately it can`t work out where you are happy then no matter what you do your kids will see it,that is life so even at a young age respect them enough to not try to fake something for them.

I hope you can refind what you are missing. :flowerforyou:

Best piece of advice I read so far. Get some counselling
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    To answer some questions:

We have talked. We've been talking/arguing all day.

He has gone to counseling his own but flat out refuses couples counseling.

I'm also very much into the idea of natural living. (Like having my own farm, buying only organic, etc.) He does not want that. He wants to live in the city and live the life of a city dweller.

I'm just so confused.

Arguing all day is not having a discussion. You might need to take a day or so to let it go and then come back to it when you're both calm an collected.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

True love is not fallen into. True love comes after many years of living together... arguing... compromising... supporting. I think most long term marriages go through times when neither person feels "in love" with the other. I know in my 22 year marriage there have been times when I disliked my husband. I almost left him several times, and I'm sure he almost left me too.

But when the chips are down, he is always there for me. You don't get that from someone until you have stayed through some tough times. Three years is not enough time to build the loyalty and true love you are looking for.

If you leave now, you will eventually start over with someone else and go through similar difficulties with him.

True love is not romance... it is a partnership.

This is outstanding advice.
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    This is the same advise I give my sister in law who has been in a crap marriage so many problems that I can't even go into.

Instead of talking to everyone else about your marriage and the problems your having in it, you should be communicating with the other person in your marriage. Seeking advise outside of your marriage just shows lack of responsibility and lack of proper communication with your spouse. It you can't discuss it like adults then you should seek out a counseler or therapist to help you discuss this with your spouse. You are both adults, act like it.

Sorry it's harsh but their is nothing worse then airing your marital dirty laudry no matter how slight. This is between you and him, not you and a whole bunch of other ppl.
  • jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Seek counselling for yourself. Sounds like a real mismatch. If the counselor agrees, move on.