WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2012

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,495 Member
    Options
    No April fools, haven't figured out the why's of my issues, but sure seems like Barbie's right AGAIN about temptation to fail greatest when close to success. I was getting close to consistent on the matwork, was feeling results in the waistband, so of course I just stopped doing it! Just wiped out March step and mat minute data, least said soonest forgotten.

Started today and April with the SWSY arm and wall balance moves left over from yesterday. I WILL learn that when I can't make time to do everything, I CAN DO what there is time for. 10 minutes here. 10 minutes there. No more than 25 minutes sitting here this morning.
    I love the feeling of sore muscles after a workout because it tells me that I have challenged myself.
    Funny mind games/tricks. Thought it said "changing myself" and I liked THAT!

Yesterday, after doing the SWSY leg moves, I felt like I shopped like Michele. 11 stops between 9:30 and 2:30, Doggie detailing, new Rosauers (great bakery alas! best SF style sourdough I've yet found here and true hot cross buns with lemon crosses insteand of the cream cheese frosting that has become the fashion of late), Wal~Mart, Natural Grocers (no PB2 yet), Play it again sports (still shopping for 5# & 8# weights), Cash&Carry, Boise Co-op (still out of Papillon and red wine/black pepper biscuits), Winco, TableRock (for a growler of Copperhead Red), pickup dogs and Idaho Pizza (BBQ chicken pizza yummmm). Not enough activity though to offset the overindulgences.

Laura baggy jeans and observant DH, YAY! Bra hook NSVs, double YAY!
    tallen, Meg, Laura, Diane conVERYgratulations on your scale victories!
    Kayms when I listen early Moody Blues on my way to work, I arrive with a smile on my face.
    lisag, bethejude, chell53, Linda lclowe0808, RScrappy, gsager, Janenotaperfect10... welcome! This is the most supportive bunch of gals you could find anywhere!
    Viv, SMVQ, Mary always good to see you post
    Amanda, a 27,000 pound atlas! It must be a treasure! Well done!
    Yvonne, ANOTHER bruise, OWW! Have a great week with Lily.
    Sherry Paisley's a cutie! Must take after her gram. You can browse a books contents on Amazon.com. I lucked out and found SWSY at a thrift store... got it for $.75 :)
    Issyfit cute cake idea!
    JB WOW you included the SWSY pushups from the start of SWSY? 20??? DoubleWOW! Size 14 jeans? yee HAW! NO MORE Xs??? Jumping up and down with joy for you!
    Jeannie isn't it amazing how only we can see what is right there in front of everyone's eyes?
    Joyce, Butt dimples??? Hip hip hooray!
    Jane, yah it was 72 here yesterday and this morning its supposed to snow. #4 ? Happy news indeed!
    Barbie ok one of these days I will find the box where my never-used-not-even-once heart rate monitor is stashed and put it on if only for observation purposes. I really appreciate your reading recommendations, seems I never have time to read any more, only when soaking in the hot tub. Just as well, when I read in bed I nap/read/nap the days away and don't move. As for Dancing vs Frisky Poodle walking, maybe the dance style of your group is lower impact? Our teacher chuckles wickedly when he cues up Shang-a-lang after Dizzy:>
    Judy I'm gonna try to work standing, but only in 10 minute increments to start... maybe when reading email. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Dawn happy to hear the good bloodwork news. The pedometer is your friend.
    Kackie 3yr old skiing all the way down, grinning? What a happy image! safe travels.
    Nancy oooh noooo, not the E word! Dancing is FUN!!! Never the E word :) 95# squat presses and 35# lunges, I'm shaking my head in awed admiration.
    Sarah you are so right. I've been in a funk too, and even though I KNOW fun activity and better food and wine choices make me feel happier/better, I sure didn't act on that knowledge the last 2 weeks in March. Why? Too wound up in work and board/council commitments? Sounds like the same BS... Lend me some of your mojo and the curry recipe?
    Sally Sorry you are in pain. Has your chiropractor given you any stretches to help relieve/prevent?
    Michele what's the story about larrybrown and male motivation? sounds naughty?
    Fitz 50 pushups? Wow! 11 Grand'uns? WOWwow!!!
    JamCubeChi, PatchworkPers, luvred51, LauraJWSteven, KC, dhencel, yaddayaddayad Good luck on your goals!

sat here for almost an hour and now I AM late for church! I'll do better, respond less tomorrow... ;)
    Hugs to ALL,
    animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the AHMOD who WILL be size 10 one day
    April: get down on that mat EVERY day. Average 10K steps/day. Let it be. Really.
    2012: dance more, bark less and CHECK IN!!!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy april fools day.
    My goals are to keep moving forward with my therapy and do what exercise I can per dr.Do my home ex and wt lifting.
    Stick to my food plan.
    Have a great sun.
    Keep dreaming about babies last night,do you think I`m a little excited about my new grandbaby to be?
    HUGS
    jane
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    happy arpil:flowerforyou:

my goals is this month are:
    increase my weight training to 4 sessions a week
    spinning / biking 2 x a week(reducing my cardio)
    yoga or stretching class 1 x a week
    log all my foods and stay within my calorie range

good luck to all with your goals....thanks barbie for starting the thread again
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Happy April. we only had one official day of sunshine in the month of March and historically April isn't much better. I could sure use some sun.

Happy April all. I meet with all the managers for my potential new posistion tomorrow morning. Please keep your fingers crossed.

Robin, Bodi boy and the Ritter bit.
  • Mbiceo
    Mbiceo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    New start for me today. I'm getting ready to be 60 in September. My plan is to finish up what I started (P90X) and not get distracted by the wrong food in the house. My food is my comfort food when work is rough, and it's been rough lately. Looking forward to speaking with you gals in the future. Thanks. Mary
  • Jstewartdesigns
    Jstewartdesigns Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would love to become a part of this group. My goal is to do some type of exercise every day so I can make this a habit. I also want to keep my calories in check and make healthy choices.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, Happy April :flowerforyou:

Thanks, Barbie for keeping things going! And thanks for reminding us to look back and see how we did with our goals for March - it's important to remind ourselves of the progress we're making.

I keep my daily weight written down on a little piece of paper on my desk, and had to look just now to see what actually transpired in March since I have a terrible case of CRS. :blushing: Even though it seems like I've been plodding along like an old mule and barely losing, I see that I lost 4 LBS in March! Yippee! I needed that little boost this morning, see, that's one of the reasons why I love this thread. :bigsmile:

Another good thing happened in March - thanks to you ladies - I started SWSY strength training twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays. I took right off from the start by doing the 8 main exercises and the additional exercises in chapter IV. I figured I might as well just go for it! So far so good. :wink:

Goals for April, well, I'd sure like to lose 6 lbs. to reach my first goal of 160, but I'd be happy with 4 or 5. And I fully intend to continue getting stronger in the upper body. My arms need toning sooooo badly. Sagging skin.....blech. :grumble:
    Time limits here at the computer? :noway: Oooh, that's a tough one, lol.

:drinker: SALAD SISTAS Goals for April - One a Day! We can do it! Make 'em big, make 'em delish! :drinker:

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone! No foolin'!! :happy:
    Peas and Love,
    jb
  • pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Started MFP on March 1st and my goal was to do some type of exercise for at least 20 minutes every day. I am happy to say I did it! Now looking forward to the same thing for April, and in addition I want to try using some weights for my upper body. It would be nice to tighten up these "bat wings" by Summer :-)
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Happy April Fool's Day. I am going to start working on Strength this month, hopefully the weather will stay warmer, seems we go to extremes, yesterday was cold and drizzly, today the sun is shining.

Picking up Trevor to go to Toys R Us to pick up the tball set and lawnmower he picked out. Was lucky that Toys R us had a BOGO free sale, he got both. Then to Walmart to pick up the Photo Books I made. I took the pics of Paisley and made her book, then thought oh wait, and I went back and did one for Trevor. So he can see how he looked as a baby. With all this technology, I am afraid he wont have any pictures to look at. So every time we do something fun, or its a holiday I make him a photo book. Some I send to his house as he likes getting mail.

Think I have food for next week and hoping to make better choices in April. Want to really hit the 10 lb mark. Something must have been in the air in March, lots of ladies, like me "in a FUNK" so time to push forward.

April- continue with the water
    Get MORE exercise- Do squats while drying hair, waiting for the first cup of coffee, wall push ups
    Make better food choices
    Laugh More

Time to take measurements.

Don't be FOOLED today :)
    Sherry
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,354 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thread, barbie.

Did an hour of balance games on the Wii today. Tomorrow, I'll do yoga and then take an extremepump class. I'm thinking that I'll do a little food shopping and then maybe get my bangs trimmed and then do some practice bowling.

fitz - ANOTHER soon-to-be grandma. Congrats!

Someone said that they were told about the expectant second baby by being served a cake with two pacifiers on it. What a neat idea! I don't remember who said it, it must have been in last month's thread.

Laura - I hear ya about the summer coming and grilling. We're having a bowling end-of-year party. The host is planning to make brats, hotdogs, and something else that I really don't want. Maybe I'll bring a veggie tray, just so that I have something I'd like to eat. Not crazy about red meat lately. You can grill chicken, I do that lots.

kc - good luck to your dh!

Welcome all newcomers. This is a great place for ideas and lots of support for whatever you need

barbara - I don't know what the story is about larrybrown. I do know that I didn't friend him. Just sounds a bit weird to me. Maybe he looked at this thread and didn't see any men and felt he'd be out of place, but then again, what did he mean by "motivation"? I'm not about to take any chances.

I really wanted to go see this play "greater Tuna", Vince said he didn't want to go on Sunday but that was the only day I could get tickets for. It's supposed to be really funny, about this town Tuna, TX.

Forgot that we have Mexican Train dominoes this week, Made this filling for filo cups. The recipe calls for sausage, monterey jack cheese, cheddar cheese, and a pkg of ranch dressing. The dressing was SOOO salty, I remember reading somewhere that if your soup is too salty, to put a raw potato in it and that'll draw some of the salt out. I put that in the sausauge/cheese mixture. Am hoping it will draw some of the salt out.

How did we get to page two already??? I went to post this and then realized that there was another page!

I KNOW that I had this guy take my bf last year. I'm thinking it was abround 13. Unfortunately, he deleted my file. I just had him take my bf again and it was a little under 12. Wish I could have confirmation of this. I have my bf measurements from the year before. I should probably ask him to print out this year's just so that I have it. The one and only thing I can think of is that I put it on my laptop, but not sure why that info didn't transfer to my desktop. Honestly, I probably don't have it there.

jb - I have CRS a lot, too. You should see what my calendar looks like! All kinds of notes as to who I was talking to, etc.

pigote - how wonderful you made your goal!

Gonna post this just so I can mark my spot.

Michele
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Wow, we are all up early on the first day of April. :flowerforyou: I am reading the lessons in church today, and must leave asap to get there before the folks begin to think I've forgotten. I want to take some time to think about my progress in March and my goals for April, so watch for another post later today...

Sarah, I have missed your posts and I’m glad you finally chimed in with the story of your week. Since then I’ve seen you’re out on your bike, it will feel good. :flowerforyou: Weight training also feels good. Put your negative feelings into those weighted lunges! Will you send me the kick-*kitten* spicy eggplant recipe?

Joyce, congrats on the “fewer dimples” NSV, summer’s coming – you are bathing suit ready!

JB, I had my weekend blowout at the wine festival on Friday night, then slept all day Saturday! :bigsmile: This being Sunday I shall stick to my new resolution and put the wine and cognac away until next weekend. How did things go for you? By the way, excellent news about the size 14 Levis! No baggy bums for you. It sounds like you started your Saturday on a high note in spite of the rain. 40 plie squats indeed!

SallyCC, how’s it going with the pain and the plan?

I am not looking forward to the 12 week recovery from the foot surgery,:sad: but I’m sure looking forward to being free of foot pain for the rest of my life. I suspect it won’t be just foot pain either, but a lot of the other kinks and aches in my hip that come from favouring the one foot all the time.

I got the message from Larry Brown too, Michelle. :noway: At first I thought it was a friend of mine who has the same name, then I realized it was a stranger. I don’t need any male motivation on this thread, thanks. There are other places he can post.

My heart rate monitor and I are best friends in the gym and on the road – like Barbie I watch to see what makes me work the hardest and how fast my HR goes back to normal. I think my heart is getting stronger because it does go down a lot faster after my sprints that it used to.

You are right, Fitz, a lot of it is mental, but I would not say “just mental”. Getting your might right can be mighty hard work! :explode: Glad you found us again.

Amanda, congratulations on the sale! Tell me more about the new handbag, I’d love to know what’s fashionable in London. Thank goodness you finally took a day off to take care of that cold.

Jeannie, your post saying “no one but me can find a big purple cooler in an otherwise drab garage” :noway: made me laugh out loud. It’s so true here too. My boys cannot find anything remotely domestic, and they can stand in front of a fully stocked fridge and say there’s nothing to eat. Good to know they need us. :ohwell:

I'm off to polish myself up for church.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning and Happy April!

Renny
  • faulkp0791
    faulkp0791 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Happy April to All!

I joined last month and discovered that I don't eat enough. My body is in starvation mode. No wonder I don't lose weight.
    Therefore, my goal this month is to eat more. Since I don't cook often, I eat out a lot. So I will have to make wise decisions to stay on a budget, eat out and eat healthy.

I realize that an object in motion stays in motion. I am sedentary; therefore, a goal this month is to walk for 10 minutes, twice a week. Gotta start somewhere.

Best of Luck to All of you in achieving your goals!!

Patricia
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Amazing April wishes for everyone. I need to recommit this month and get back on track. This may not be the best day to make that statement but there it is.

Onward and upward! Alice
  • OnlyGrace
    OnlyGrace Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Looks like a wonderful group! Boy do I need the support. My goals for April are to make good food choices, stay within my calorie range, Drink 8 glasses of water a day, walk a mile 5 times a week, and to list at least one thing daily that I am thankful for.
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello! I would like to join your post . I am over 50 , I what to get back to a healthier and better me. I don't what to be any older than I have to be and I don't want to get in the habit of using my age as an excuse why I can't do things. I do realize that I won't be able to do something like when I was younger , but there are plenty to do and I am going to do all that I can, I have 9 Grandchildren and 2 others that think that I am their Grandmother, so you see I have a lot to live for and I am not ready to sit around and get old.

my Goals for this month is
    1) walk the Dog at least 3 times a week
    2) do exercise with the Wii or walking CD
    3) lose at least 5 pounds by April 20th

Hope all of you are having a wonderful day :flowerforyou:
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Home from church, Palm Sunday duly observed.

Here's the update on my lifestyle goals:

Goals for March:
    Exercise at least 35 hours – I made it to 31 hours, the end of curling season cut back my hours.
    Run two miles in 20 minutes – switched to 5K’s, best time 43 minutes
    Finish Phase One of New Rules, perfect my form doing lunges: done :laugh:
    Make the bed, put away my clothes, leave the kitchen tidy: done :happy: The only mess in the bedroom are DH's clothes!

I did not loose a bit. Not an ounce or a gram.:cry: But I did not gain either, I feel great and I can see muscles in my arms that were not there in February. So I am trying not to be upset about the weight. I am only 5-6 pounds from my goal weight, for heaven's sake. I really thought I would be there by now. Sigh.

Onward...

Goals for April 1-16:
    Exercise at least one hour every day
    Finish 5K in 40 minutes
    "Strength Training for Women" Balance and Coordination workout 6x
    No alcohol on school nights
    Twenty minute yoga routine every workday morning

So, those are my goals for the first two weeks of the month. After my foot surgery on the 17th I'll have to re-assess and figure out what I can do. I know for sure one goal will be to keep the weight stable. I can't afford to gain anything, I've given all my fat lady clothes away!

See you on the other side,

Nancy
  • KathyGSM
    KathyGSM Posts: 22
    Options
    This looks like a very motivating group - thanks for the opportunity to join. I am new to MFP and am very excited to lose weight and finally keep on track. My goals for the month of April are:
    1. Work out 5 days a week (thank goodness for my workout buddy - she keeps me going)
    2. Log all my food every day
    3. Lose 2 lbs. per week
    4. Check in everyday to read for more motivation.
    Thanks Barbie and the rest of you all!!:wink:
  • kinglilah
    kinglilah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love the start of a fresh month - motivation to step on the scale. My goals for the month:

Use the treadmill at least 3 times per week for 30 minutes
    Walk outside at least 2x a week for both exercise and stress relief
    Eat at least 3 vegies and 2 fruits a day
    My overall goal is to weigh less than 200 lbs by this summer when I'm planning a very long plane trip. I want to be comfortable in my cramped airplane seat!
  • Susanpv
    Susanpv Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been missing in action the past several months, mainly due to guilt!!! This past November started my decline. Son sent me a cookie bouquet which I proceeded to eat the entire thing in a matter of days!! Then came the holidays and it was non stop celebrating. Mid January I stopped my walking routine (my dog has really missed this) In February I vowed to start over in March with logging, walking etc. Didn't happen. Well, here I am on April Fools Day, and have decided to longer be the fool!!! I worked so hard to get where I was at 38 pounds lost. (I changed my ticker to 36 after I had gained 2 pounds) It should actually only be 28 pounds lost, but am keeping it there as incentive.
    I am also a new grandmother. Both my children had babies...my son, a grandson born in January and my daughter, a granddaughter born in March.
    My goals for April....mainly get back on track to where I was with logging and exercise.
    Again, thank you Barbie for keeping this thread going!!