WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2012

Options

Replies

• frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Happy April Fool's Day,

March goals were met. I got back to the gym on a regular basis, got back to some weight work, knocked off a few pounds, and finally met my weight loss goal.

For April, I would like to move my goal to lose another 2 pounds. That would make me feel like I have a "cushion" I will continue to get to the gym as often as I can. That means no less than 4 days but hopefully 6 or 7. I do want to try to increase the fruits and vegetables too.

The last few days have been pretty busy. We have been out looking for a new car. Friends of my husband's told him of a place about 60 miles away in Rochester, NY where he could get a good deal. We went there Thursday evening, and came home the owners of a new Toyota Camry. The price was $3000 less than the price we were quoted at our local Toyota dealer. The trip proved to be worthwhile. Yesterday we went back to pick up the car.

Today I made a trip to Toronto with a friend to go to "One of A Kind" craft show. It is a great show. Of course I had to buy some new jewelry. I also bought some flavored soybeans for a healthy snack.

Birthday week is approaching- DH is April 4, Daughter #3 is April 7, Daughter #2 and my sister are April 10. We are having only one cake and that will be on Easter Sunday.

Hope everyone is off to a good start for the month!

Lynn
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, My name is Jenni, 52, and live in Sydney Australia.
    Since Oct 2010 had lost nearly 30kgs
    Since Dec 2011 have PUT back on 9kgs.
    I was not close to goal but close to finally being overweight not obese. I think that scared me.
    Have not been well for the last 5 weeks, diagnosed last week with pneumonia.
    I am a comfit eater. So being unwell has not helped.
    I do love exercising, walking, dancing, aquaerobics, zumba.
    But I also love food.

:heart: I really want to at least control my eating this month while I regain my health.

I look forward to the support and motivation of this group and hope that I can offer the same.
  • jhansonfan
    jhansonfan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Brand new to this I joined yesterday.

My April goals are : to drink more water and less diet Pepsi
    exercise at least 4 times a week...I am using the Wii fit.
    I would like to lose at least 6 pounds by the end of April.

Good luck everybody!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,354 Member
    Options
    Nanacy & Jeannie - I'm the only person in my house who knows how to take out the recyclables and garbage....lol Vince will let the recyclables container get overflowing before he'll even *begin* to consider taking it out.

patricia - your goals sound just great. As you say, "gotta start somewhere", and the beginning of a journey starts with one small step. You'll do it with an attitude like yours. Welcome to the best group on the net!

onlygrace - you'll get lots and lots of support here. Keep posting!

Welcome rpphillip! Youll get that new body!

Nancy - I don't think I lost or gained weight in the past month, but I do believe that in the past year my body fat has gone down some. My clothes still fit the same, just maintaining which I really think is the hardest thing to do. In comparison, losing the weight wasn't nearly as much work as this is. You might very well be in maintenance, just keep it up! As long as you feel good, that's what's important. Having given your fat lady clothes away, what an incentive not to gain the weight.

Hey there kathy, and thanks barbie for pointing her in our direction.

kinglila - welcome. Where are you going?

Susan - welcome back! Glad you're back with us.

kackie - what wonderful news about your pants!

Remember I told you a few months ago that I was compiling the directory for the neighborhood and how I gave a flash drive with all the info to the president before we went to FL (which was mid-Feb). Well, I just saw his wife and asked her how the directory was coming along. Basically, she has no idea so it appears to me that nothing has been done. Even Vince thought that the pres. wanted this directory done. Don't know why he doesn't just print out the directory the way I have it. Basically, if someone didn't give me their information, I just made a page for them with "no information available" on it. To me, it really doesn't help any to have just a name and an address. And if we print the directory with "no information available", maybe next time we ask for updated information, more people will respond.

djhobs - welcome, you'll get some good ideas on this thread for mixing things up. Keep checking in.

I just logged my breakfast for tomorrow. You know, sometimes it's so hard to not have a carb heavy breakfast. Tomorrow I'll have steel cut oats and some strawberries. Guess I'll just try to have a protein-filled lunch.

Welcome to every other newbie that I may have missed. I know you'll love it here.

kmacgera - good luck on the training. I know you'll do it!

JipsyJudy - have fun at your reunion. It isn't so much the person you are on the outside, but who you are on the inside, and you are a lovely person.

mcdebbie and issyfit - how do you separate simple sugars from complex sugars? Like how does the graph know when the sugar is from a fruit or from a simple (table) sugar?

Lynn-congrats on the new car!

jellyfish - get better fast!

Getting late, so need to get to bed. Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Gatherings are the toughest. Plan ahead. I know that sounds easy but it's not always. If I'm asked to bring a dish....I make sure it's something I can eat without guilt and just teaspoon on other's contributions......it helps. :flowerforyou:
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!! After watching 60 Minutes last night, I changed my settings to track sugar. I went over on sugar yesterday, but I ate LOTS of fruit. Is the sugar from fruit ok, or should we limit that too?

It seems like to avoid sugar, one must avoid all processed foods. Seems difficult in this world. Also bland... I love my daily 90 calorie brownie from Fiber One...

What can we eat other than fruit that has natural sugar and tastes good... must I totally give up one of my favorite vices?
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

The start of another Month - the year is flying by. Thanks Barbie for starting the April thread.

Starting April with new determination - hope it lasts!! I think I have said this every month since Christmas and somehow my determination disappears during the month :embarassed: :embarassed:

My April goals are to:

Exercise every day
    Walk at least 15,000 steps every day
    Have a salad for lunch at work and not sandwiches
    Log food

Sorry I'll have to dash I'm at work and need to get on with some :bigsmile:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Just a quick fly by before I head over to another building to meet the potential new managers. I have to say I am very excited/nervous. I feel really good today.

I have been slowly getting my mojo back. I had one of the most productive days ever yesterday in regards to finally getting around to doing things I need to do. I even actually ironed a few shirts. (I never :noway: iron.)

I think I convinced DH to train for a biking weekend with me. At the end of summer I would like to find a B&B and stay a night, Bike to another one about 40 miles away and spend the night and then bike back to the first. I have to do some investigation but it seems like it would be fun.

Have agreat day ladies!!!!

Robin, Bodi Boy and Ritter Bit.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning Salad Sistas! I fixed a wimpy little salad to go with dinner last night (homemade Italian meatballs with pasta & homemade sauce, yum yum) so today I'm back on track with a large plate of greens and vegs penciled in on the lunch menu. Today's motto: Eat more vegetables. :bigsmile:

It's SWSY strength training day for me. I printed out a chart to keep track of progress, and have been checking the book for details of every exercise, making sure I have correct form. :wink:

Yadda, in regards to sugar, there are certainly different opinions on the subject. Andrew Weil says "eat more fruits and vegetables" several times throughout his book "Eating Well for Optimum Health". He doesn't say sugar from fruit isn't healthy. Other people say don't count sugar from fruit when tracking sugar on MFP. And then there are others who feel sugar is sugar no matter the source. I heard a radio program about sugar not to long ago, and found it quite interesting. The concept being that at one time in history, before industrialization and all, people ate fruit once a year, when it fell from the trees in the fall. Then they gorged on it, causing them to store lots of fat which in turn would see them through the winter months when food was scarce. Point being, sugar causes us to store fat. Other ideas are to only eat fruit that's in season, always include a protein when eating sugar, and use fruit for a dessert or treat rather than including it at every meal. It's all very interesting. I've been tracking sugar recently, too, and even with having just 1/2 piece of fruit with a little yogurt daily and no processed sugar at all, I'm usually over in sugar a tad, maybe 3 or 4 grams. But last year when I'd check sugar levels, I was over many times by 30 or 40. Like salt, I've become super-sensitive to sugar so I try to keep it to a minimum. Filling up with vegetables is a good alternative, at least for me.

Alrighty, must get busy here. Good day to all! Eat less, move more, and let's drink that water. :drinker:
    jb
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on "full report", I did not think to look there.

Yadda, what did 60 minutes have to say about sugar? Normally I watch but missed last night.

And what is SWSY?
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have to agree with Judy. Already three pages! I was able to read it all, but I know I will miss some newcomers, so I will just say welcome to you all now.

Goals? Well it is kind of a short month for me eating wise. I leave in 19 days for my cruise and I will eat all the good stuff then. But I do have goals.

Walk the dogs at least once every day. We have been doing that for the last few days, but four of them is a hand full even when they are small dogs. My hsuband and daughter (she will be home for a month next week) are helping me keep that goal. It is good for both them and me. AND my backyard. LOL.

Lose three more pounds before boarding. That might be a lofty goal, but one can only hope.

Walk or run at least three times a week. I read an article that said walking fast burned more calories than jogging. Not sure I believe it, but my body wants to.

Stretching. Don't do any where near enough of that. It would be great to be semi-limber again. What am I saying. It would just be good to put my shoes on in the morning without my legs screaming at me.

I wanted to add squats here, but they hurt. I think I need to go to the link that Barbi posted awhile ago and see why they hurt so much. I must be doing something wrong.

Keep up with the weights on the arm exercises. I know I need to buy heavier weights, but that will probably have to wait until I get back.

Sherry, Congratulations on Paisley! I think the Photo books are a great idea. My grandson is 9 months old. We have hundreds of photos on the computer/camera/phone, but need more printed.

Kackie - I love the photo of the three-year-old on skiis. What a great time!

Amanda, what does the new handbag look like? I went for 21 years without buying a purse other than what was required in uniform. A few years after retiring, I acquired a purse and shoes addiction. I think it is because I was gaining so much weight that I wouldn't buy clothes. I put a halt to purse buying a few months ago. But thank goodness I passed that trait on to my daughter. She had three purses in her room that she switched out of after a month or so and one she never got around to using at all. So I am going shopping in her room.

Jane Martin - Congratulations on the grandbaby.

Barbara - Thanks for the encouragement

Robin - Your dogs are gorgeous!
    JB - Congrats on the four pounds.
    Pigote - Batwings! That is why I picked up the weights. I think that must be the hardest place to firm up.
    Nancy - One of the reasons I love this thread is that I don't feel bad for wanting my wine. There are so many people out there that say you must give it up entirely if you want to lose weight. I think I started losing my weight when I realized I don't have to give it up.
    Susan - Welcome back! I did the same thing last year. Was losing weight steadily, then went on the cruise. Only gained 4 pounds on the cruise, but I gave up all efforts. So I gained 22 pounds back. In December I realized I was only hurting myself and how unhappy I was (plus my best friend didn't give up and looks way better than me) so I started back. I am now 4 pounds away from where I was when I boarded the ship last year. I only hope I don't do the same thing this year.
    Workmum39 - I have a pool and think I have used it for exercise about 4 times. Maybe this is my summer to change that!
    Lynn - You have family members that share my birthday, 4/10. I also have many relatives celebrating birthdays in the time frame from 3/30 - 4/15. Yea Aries!

I hope everyone has a great week! Thank you Barbi for keeping us all together.
  • grandmasally13
    Options
    I'm so glad you mentioned as a goal "not getting thrown by the weekends" - I have SO much trouble with my weekends. My goal is to stay focused on my health on the weekends............ Wish me luck!!
  • JanuaryJan
    Options
    Hello all,
    I haven't been here for most of last month. The days are busy and they just got away from me. We also lost our dog 2 weeks ago and that really put me in a funk. I'm still losing but for the last 4 weeks it's been 1 lb a week. I'll take it as long as it's in the right direction!
    It's been incredibly warm this past month leaving us with one of the driest March's on record. March is usually a very snowy month for us here in the front range of Colorado. The weather is changing tonight though and we are due for cooler temps and maybe a little snow as well, although the ground is so warm I know it won't stick.
    My goals for April:
    Walk a minimun of 10,000 steps a day and at least 10 flights of stairs
    Lost 8-10 lbs
    do strength training at least 3x a week
    drink all my water everyday

I'm at work so can't really stay on but wanted to mark my place in the thread so I can find my way back later! I hope you all have an awesome day!

xoxo
    Janice
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    A new month!! I love April.
    Thank you Barbie for getting us started again!
    Welcome to the new folks….this is a great place to come! Great people and wonderful information!

March ended on a tough note for me. My exercise has been weak. I think I have a pinched nerve in my neck/shoulder and it’s been a bother for the past couple of weeks. I am finally getting into to the chiropractor on Friday. It has gotten better with what I have been doing at home(thank goodness for yoga stretches), but I want to really get it handled. In the meantime, I have been giving up on other exercise too easily. I still am teaching and doing my yoga but I could be riding the bike or walking just do get some movement in my day. So I think I have a goal….Some time of movement every day. I also need to really pay attention to getting my water in (I have been slacking there too). I think that will be my two major focuses during April. I have been doing my meal planning in a notebook . It helps to have things planned out ahead of time and then I track on MFP.
    My goals are:
    1. Move (walk/bike) 30 minutes everyday.
    2. Drink 64-80 oz of water a day.
    3. Plan what I eat and eat what I plan every day!

It was wonderful to read everyone's goals. It inspires me: Thank you all.
    After a busy (and great) weekend, it is great to get back to this board.
    I will be back later,
    Sally
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I usually use the moblie app MFP, but recently logged in to the fullsite and realized there is a community here! I'm excited to start posting and making friends! Hello everyone! I will be fifty in December. My body is going wacko with changes!! I'm confused and I'm contributing it to age.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Good morning, friends! I survived my super busy weekend and I am back. Due to knowing that March was going to be a struggle for me, the only real goal that I set for myself was to exercise in some form on 22 days, and I managed to make that!

Still thinking about April goals.

I will try to post the birthday list in the next couple of days. If you are not on it and want to be, send me a message with your birthday and i will be happy to add you.

I have to tell you about my April Fool's joke. Yesterday, I quietly changed my profile picture on FaceBook to a picture of a sonogram. I seem to have raised a few eyebrows! When I received comments, I claimed that I didn't know how my picture changed, and asked if anyone knew if Facebook was just randomly assigning profile pictures now with all of their new changes. I had a few people going before I fessed up. Anyway, I enjoyed it. Late last night, I changed the picture to one of my daughter hugging a Jayhawk in honor of my team playing in the national championship tonight.

I suppose that I had better get back to work. Happy Monday to all, and Rock Chalk, Jayhawk! Mary
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Windy, Cloudy Monday,

Miss the weekend and you are behind by 5+ pages, especially if you started reading the end of March:noway:

Saturday we went to Golden Gate Canyon State Park for a picnic and to check out tent camping sites for the summer, the weather was so wonderful here in Colorado. We walked up and down paths all over and it was a good time of being outside and exercise. Then we stopped at Black Hawk on the way home for dinner and some playing the slot machines. We aren't big gamblers I usually like to play the penny slots to see how long I can make one dollar last, but we couldn't find two seats together so I did $10 in the quarter slots and won $75.50 so after I played and spent my additional one dollar we walked away with $64.50 it paid for our gas and dinner plus a little extra...made for a fun Saturday.:bigsmile:

Sunday I woke up with my Meniere's and too dizzy to get out of bed:grumble: It was beautiful outside and hubby took Peanut for a walk and then he went on a bike ride...I wanted to do that:sad: but being dizzy on a bike would not be a good thing. By about 7pm I was finally feeling better ... it takes being still in the bed for me to get better, just glad I caught it in time before it turned into a 2-3 day bed stay:ohwell: We cooked a turkey breast for dinner, so much better than any processed meat.

Well I think hubby is finally getting the message where my eating is concerned. When he was waiting on me yesterday before he cooked anything he asked me what I wanted, how much I wanted and was very supportive of what I wanted prepared. He BBQ's mini burgers and I could smell them cooking since he had opend the sliding glass door to the bedroom so I could at least see the sunshine:glasses:

April goals:
    Continue to log food fathfully
    Drinking plenty of water
    Exercising at least 5 days a week with two days per week in Kettlebells.
    Losing 1/2 lb per week

In March I lost 3.4 lbs....I would have loved for it to say a solid 4 but I will take all I can get. It's a slow process but I am aiming for winning this race.

Everyone have a good day, let's keep logging our food, drinking our water:drinker: and moving our bodies.

Laura80111:smile:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I stayed off the internet yesterday because it was April's Fools Day. :laugh:

My goals for April are to get under 125 pound and maintain that until I am able to start working out again. I was very close last month but then I had a week of "hungry hippo" days where I felt like I was eating everything in sight. Now, MFP says I didn't do that badly when it comes to calories but I was definitely not drinking enough water or eating enough protein for optimal health.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Happy April everyone!

marking my spot.

Jeannie
  • Susanpv
    Susanpv Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My DH wants to go to the movies to see The Hunger Games. First thing I thought of was popcorn & candy!!! I have decided I will be a bad girl and pop my own corn and sneak it in, and not have any candy. (i'm sure i will be thinking about the chocolate covered raisins the whole time) At least I know how many calories I will be eating. I feel so much better knowing I am back on track, even if today is only day two. :)