WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2012

Options

Replies

• 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I checked out this thread almost a year ago. My mother-n_law became sick and my time was spent taking care of her, from July until her passing in Feburary of this year. I sort of put my weight loss goal on hold....I didn't REALLY actively commit to getting it off. I am back, trying to get into the swing of things....exercise being the hardest. I would like to join this group once again ....and commit myself to getting rid of the last 15 #'s. I love the fact that you all are so dedicated to this thread and each other. Nice to see such dedication. Anyway...I want to come back :flowerforyou:
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Glad your back! Welcome
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I checked out this thread almost a year ago. My mother-n_law became sick and my time was spent taking care of her, from July until her passing in Feburary of this year. I sort of put my weight loss goal on hold....I didn't REALLY actively commit to getting it off. I am back, trying to get into the swing of things....exercise being the hardest. I would like to join this group once again ....and commit myself to getting rid of the last 15 #'s. I love the fact that you all are so dedicated to this thread and each other. Nice to see such dedication. Anyway...I want to come back :flowerforyou:
    Hey, girlfriend! Welcome back! Mary
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: Laura, I love “fluff” reading…..I read stuff that I call “Nancy Drew for adults”. Right now I’m reading a series of mysteries starring a woman who works in chocolate shop in Michigan….the book is filled with chocolate trivia…..what are you reading? My “heavy” reading now is “The Happiness Project”

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington state where it has been drizzling all day.
    81824br5uyrfrsr.gif

Barbie - I also read Nancy Drew for adults. Who wrote the chocolate shop books? Mary

Mary, the books I'm reading are by JoAnna Carl. The first one is called "The Chocolate Cat Caper". There are about ten of them and you have to read them in order so you can follow the developing life of the main character. I found some of them at the public library.

:heart: Love reading. Now I have added Joanna Carl books to my list. Does anyone else have a few books on the go at once. I have at least 4 beside my bed that I am part way through. I enjoy the Georgette Heyers, and she wrote so many that I will never run out. romance and detective series. I also like Janet Evanovitch's for a laugh. Also half way through Bryce Corbetts, A Town like Paris, and now I have started The Happiness Project and I am reading Charles ****ens A Tale of two Cities, when on the train, it is downloaded on my ipod and saves me carrying a book. Although I do prefer paper copies of books to the electronic version. The family wanted to get me a kindle but I prefer the actual book. Plus now I will have to start allowing reading time for this post, so much happens here while I sleep.:smile:
  • jellyfishjen
    Options

So far today I have done my barn chores, and handsprayed 4 acres of pasture for weeds. Wish there was a calorie burn listed for ‘walking pasture carrying 20 lb spray can’.

yvonne

Yvonne,, I got a heart rate monitor so I could figure out how many calories I burn doing odd things like puttering in my garden and walking my frisky poodles.

I also wear my HRM when gardening and it is quite often a huge calorie burn, once you start digging and trimming etc its amazing.
  • yclayton
    yclayton Posts: 44
    Options

So far today I have done my barn chores, and handsprayed 4 acres of pasture for weeds. Wish there was a calorie burn listed for ‘walking pasture carrying 20 lb spray can’.

yvonne

Yvonne,, I got a heart rate monitor so I could figure out how many calories I burn doing odd things like puttering in my garden and walking my frisky poodles.

I also wear my HRM when gardening and it is quite often a huge calorie burn, once you start digging and trimming etc its amazing.
  • yclayton
    Options

yvonne

oops...not so good at this...sounds like i need to get a heart rate monitor as well!!! just spent 15 minutes chasing a horse that didnt want to be caught...would love to know what that burned....
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    :glasses: Michelle we must be kindred spirits :happy: , I LOVE to crochet too!!! When I broke my ankle, I crocheted about 15 hats and about 50 infinity scarves and gave most of them away as Christmas gifts a lot to my daughter and about 25 to the local Youth In Crisis shelter for Teens. All I did was sit, watch TV and crochet till I couldn't move my fingers anymore :tongue:
    But I love it...It keeps me from snacking at night which for me is my "witching hour" with bad food :mad:

Well Happy Friday everyone...Our beautiful desert has once again been invaded with cars and music festival goers...this is the 3rd weekend in a row...last 2 weekends was the now famous Coachella Fest...with 85,000 of the 20 something "hipsters", this weekend is the Country Music Fest "Stagecoach" with 85,000 or so Country fans invade our valley!!! :sad: :sad:

Happy Healthy Eating everyone :love: :flowerforyou:

Love
    Kat
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Evening! And Happy Weekend!

Yvonne: You are likely burning mega calories...you would enjoy a HRM to see how they rack up with your chores! Let us know!

jb: Been meaning to tell you how much I like your new profile photo!

Mary: Your dream trip sounds...like a dream! Can't wait to hear all about it:-)

2youngatheart: WELCOME back!!! And good luck on your journey!

Barbie: I ordered "Strong Women stay Young' today. I have "Strong Women stay Slim" (same author) but it does not have the same exercises in them that you have. Look forward to getting started on them!

Books! I love to read and am always on the lookout for good recommendations. I went to our local good bookstore to stock up on some new books that DH wanted to read. Thank goodness he loves to read more than most anyone I know...it is keeping him busy while he tries to recover from his surgery.

We had bad news first thing this morning. :cry: :cry: DH's childhood friend, who has been battling cancer for several years, passed away today. Poor DH...it has been a tough week for him! We will make the 5 hour drive Monday to go to the service...leaving very early so that we can make lots of stops for DH to get out and move around a little. He was supposed to be a pallbearer, which of course, he cannot right now, but will go and be one of the speakers. DH is good at this and it will be his way to pay tribute to his good friend. I could never do that, but it is a great gift if you are able.

I meant to mention a few other's posts but my brain is weary. I'm thinking of you all and hoping you have a good weekend.
    :heart: Kackie
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Laura the breakfast caserole sound delish I'm working on changing up my foods a bit and finding quick easy to grab stuff since I'm always on the go it seems that's a great idea to make it ahead & throw in containers

Kackie I'm sorry for the loss of your friend

Jb I too love the pic on your profile

Michele I used to crochet all the time dont get to do it much any more to busy and I learned to knot a few years ago that was fun to and easier than I thought it would be

Just trying to get myself back on track seems I have been slow all this week since we got back from the birth of our 11th grandbaby who by hte way is still perfect tee hee. Had a great work out this morning and I found a great spring salad last night at one of our favorite restaraunts. I am trying to increase my food pallet a bit I tend to eat the same old things all the time and I need to mix it up more find new foods was telling my hubby I need to take a nutrition class or a cooking class or something I know sweet potatoe are super good for you but the only way I know to cook them is like yams and I hate yams any way looking for new ideas have a great night all
  • LuckyCheryl
    LuckyCheryl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ok Ladies
    I am new and would like to join this forum. Can someone explain how I do that? I turn 51 this summer and have 50+ pounds to lose and would love some inspiration and motivation along the way. :smile:
  • katiejarr
    Options
    Laura the breakfast caserole sound delish I'm working on changing up my foods a bit and finding quick easy to grab stuff since I'm always on the go it seems that's a great idea to make it ahead & throw in containers

Kackie I'm sorry for the loss of your friend

Jb I too love the pic on your profile

Michele I used to crochet all the time dont get to do it much any more to busy and I learned to knot a few years ago that was fun to and easier than I thought it would be

Just trying to get myself back on track seems I have been slow all this week since we got back from the birth of our 11th grandbaby who by hte way is still perfect tee hee. Had a great work out this morning and I found a great spring salad last night at one of our favorite restaraunts. I am trying to increase my food pallet a bit I tend to eat the same old things all the time and I need to mix it up more find new foods was telling my hubby I need to take a nutrition class or a cooking class or something I know sweet potatoe are super good for you but the only way I know to cook them is like yams and I hate yams any way looking for new ideas have a great night all

I haven't tried this but I have heard that you can peel and cut a sweet potato like french fries, toss them in some olive oil and spread them on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with some sea salt and bake them in a hot oven (400 degrees F) till they are crispy...I have had sweet potato fries in restaurant and they are yummy and I have made this recipe with regular potatoes and they are great and low cal, so with sweet potatoes they may be just as yummy! Let me know if you try them :smile: :smile:

Love
    Kat :flowerforyou:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

More wet weather in London. We are in drought at present, so the rain is needed, but it's getting a little tedious now. Getting into work is always harder when it's raining. It can get really oppressive on the tubes, everyone dripping wet all over the place. Not to mention the fact that it feels as if we're in a plague pit with so many of the passengers coughing and sneezing. Sheesh, shall I stop moaning now?

So far it's been a good day business-wise. In the first hour after opening, I had someone walk in off the street and buy a £14,000 map that is in the window. Not bad as it only went in the window on Thursday. I love it when that happens, although it now means that we have to think of something equally as sumptuous to fill the space.

My tummy has been misbehaving lately, so I'm sipping on a hot marmite drink, which feels like drinking a thin soup. DH hates the smell of it, but he's three floors up from me, so he's not being bothered by it.

I've decided that I'm going to renew my exercise routine as of Monday. I want to change things up and work at trying to strengthen my core muscles, hopefully it will take some of the strain off my back. Another by-product of all the damp weather we are having is that I get aches in all the bones that I have ever broken ... and I've broken a lot over the years, starting with the arm and ankle I broke when my first husband pushed me down the stairs, also causing me to miscarry our baby. What a charmer he was! I've also broken my coccyx, shoulder, collar bone, several ribs, both big toes, both wrists and an elbow. Yes, I have always been accident prone, although a lot of those breaks happened in one accident. Add to that the arthritis in my knees and I'm just about ready for the scrapheap. Only joshing - I'm stronger each year in reality.

Whoops, time is running away, better do some work.

Good weekend to you all.

Love

Amanda x
  • jellyfishjen
    Options
    I have a lot of posts to catch up on and will read them later but for now I wanted to share my night with you all.

A night of cards and chocolate with my 81yo mum, something we do not do often enough but is a favorite time together. Worth every extra calorie. Some moments will not last forever and must be enjoyed. Soon it may all end. 1. she may die (as may I) 2. she will get tired of me always winning and refuse to play any more. :)
    Chocolate use to be the reward for the winner, but then as we got more and more competitive, if one took a bathroom break it was not unusual to come back and find the chocolate eaten. So now we have a bowl of choclate to nibble on while playing.
    Eating healthy and exercising is important but so are other things. Special moments in your life.

So i probably will have gained again this week in weight but i have also gained in beautiful moments. Sharing Anzac day with family (lunch and dinner out), going to the ballet with my daughter (had champagne), cards tonight with my mum, (cooked her a big roast dinner, then the chocolate). These days don't happen all the time and we must treasure them.

My mum is actually on her way home, in stages, she lives an hour away closer to the inner city. She has been out in the country to be companion for a friend (82) while her daughter went on an overseas holiday. Mum was only there 5 days when she had to call the ambulance as her friend did not seem well, she died that night. My mum handled this quite well, at their age death is apart of their life. My mum lives in a nursing home complex, she has her own unit and lives independently. But there is the home section with full time care. Death is a regular visitor. Mum is often called on by the nursing staff to comfort the frail (and sometimes difficult) she has the compassion and care to comfort them, particularly when the end is near. So to spend a night eating chocolate (and drinking wine, forgot to mention that) with her is what helps her get on with her life and such a small thing for me to do.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy weekend from cloudy Portland. :flowerforyou: Maybe tomorrow we'll see some sunshine, at least that's what the weather guy says. Never can tell around here. At least it's not pouring down rain which would put a damper on our outdoor building project today...we're going to help our friends with a very small barn raising, well, actually a good-sized chicken coop, lol. Should be a fun time, the guys spoke last night and have already made a plan to include us girls so that we don't just disappear and go walk dogs or play guitars or something. :tongue:

Oh am I ever happy this morning! Scale victories always lighten my load :laugh: :blushing: I've managed to get rid of the 2 lbs I gained on my trip plus the entire 2 lbs I was up before I left, putting me back down to my lowest weight. That makes 4 lbs this week! :noway: This proves to me that I can do it when I'm steadfast with calories and regular exercise. It came to mind this morning that they say weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise, or something to that effect. I stayed pretty much the same for the entire month of April, so I'm thrilled the scale is moving again. Need to kiss goodbye another 5 lbs and reach my goal by summer which I think is June 21. I think I can do it!

Jellyfishjen, I loved reading your story about time spent with your mom. I spent 5 days with mine last week, she's 87 and doing really well for the most part. We didn't play cards this time like we usually do, but we did sip some wine in the evenings and laugh over some funny childhood memories, then had little dishes of decadent butter pecan ice cream. It was very difficult saying goodbye to her this time! :sad:

LuckyCheryl, welcome, you've joined here just by posting. There's nothing more to it other than to keep coming back :wink: And good luck on your journey!

Fitzy and Kat, I've made the sweet potato fries too, and they never seem to get crispy unless they burn. :laugh: Seriously, they're always soggy and limp like wet noodles. They taste great though! Back to the drawing board on that one...I make roasted potatoes often and they're always perfect. Maybe next time I do that I'll cut a sweet potato in cubes rather than strips and add it to the other spuds. Love sweet potatoes in soup, or just baked. :love:

I will resume SWSY strength training on Monday morning. Never got around to it this week, I was so exhausted after my trip and had to work way too many hours every day. I know, excuses, excuses. :blushing: One week off isn't the end of the world, I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

Have a wonderful day everyone, don't forget to drink your water and eat your salads, Sistas! :drinker: Oh, and thanks for all of the nice compliments about my pic. I'm happy to finally have one I can use....need a full body shot, though. One of these days I'll get brave and show a before and after. Scary. I'm still a bit embarassed about it. I know I shouldn't be.

Toodles, :bigsmile:
    jb
  • AudiDreamer
    AudiDreamer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bump:bigsmile:
  • yclayton
    Options
    I have a lot of posts to catch up on and will read them later but for now I wanted to share my night with you all.

A night of cards and chocolate with my 81yo mum, something we do not do often enough but is a favorite time together. Worth every extra calorie. Some moments will not last forever and must be enjoyed. Soon it may all end. 1. she may die (as may I) 2. she will get tired of me always winning and refuse to play any more. :)
    Chocolate use to be the reward for the winner, but then as we got more and more competitive, if one took a bathroom break it was not unusual to come back and find the chocolate eaten. So now we have a bowl of choclate to nibble on while playing.
    Eating healthy and exercising is important but so are other things. Special moments in your life.

So i probably will have gained again this week in weight but i have also gained in beautiful moments. Sharing Anzac day with family (lunch and dinner out), going to the ballet with my daughter (had champagne), cards tonight with my mum, (cooked her a big roast dinner, then the chocolate). These days don't happen all the time and we must treasure them.

My mum is actually on her way home, in stages, she lives an hour away closer to the inner city. She has been out in the country to be companion for a friend (82) while her daughter went on an overseas holiday. Mum was only there 5 days when she had to call the ambulance as her friend did not seem well, she died that night. My mum handled this quite well, at their age death is apart of their life. My mum lives in a nursing home complex, she has her own unit and lives independently. But there is the home section with full time care. Death is a regular visitor. Mum is often called on by the nursing staff to comfort the frail (and sometimes difficult) she has the compassion and care to comfort them, particularly when the end is near. So to spend a night eating chocolate (and drinking wine, forgot to mention that) with her is what helps her get on with her life and such a small thing for me to do.

what a touching post....getting teary eyed thinking of your mum being so caring and compassionate...and your evening was DEFINITELY worth any extra calories!
  • yclayton
    Options
    [/quote]

I haven't tried this but I have heard that you can peel and cut a sweet potato like french fries, toss them in some olive oil and spread them on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with some sea salt and bake them in a hot oven (400 degrees F) till they are crispy...I have had sweet potato fries in restaurant and they are yummy and I have made this recipe with regular potatoes and they are great and low cal, so with sweet potatoes they may be just as yummy! Let me know if you try them :smile: :smile:

Love
    Kat :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

sweet potates are absolutely YUMMY this way!!!!
  • katiejarr
    Options

Jen this brought tears to my eyes :cry: I lost my Mum (she was a Brit so she was Mum to me) Feb of 2011 and if I could have one more day with her I would love to spend it just like your spent it with your Mum, what a wonderful memory you made! I was very close to my Mum, we lived about 2 hours apart but spoke on the phone 2-3 times a week, she was 85 and lived in the same house for 45 years since she came over to the states from England, the last 5 alone since my dad died and she was fiercely independent! I miss her everyday. So happy that you had such a great day with yours!

Love Kat :heart:
  • katiejarr
    Options
    Happy weekend from cloudy Portland. :flowerforyou: Maybe tomorrow we'll see some sunshine, at least that's what the weather guy says. Never can tell around here. At least it's not pouring down rain which would put a damper on our outdoor building project today...we're going to help our friends with a very small barn raising, well, actually a good-sized chicken coop, lol. Should be a fun time, the guys spoke last night and have already made a plan to include us girls so that we don't just disappear and go walk dogs or play guitars or something. :tongue:

Oh am I ever happy this morning! Scale victories always lighten my load :laugh: :blushing: I've managed to get rid of the 2 lbs I gained on my trip plus the entire 2 lbs I was up before I left, putting me back down to my lowest weight. That makes 4 lbs this week! :noway: This proves to me that I can do it when I'm steadfast with calories and regular exercise. It came to mind this morning that they say weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise, or something to that effect. I stayed pretty much the same for the entire month of April, so I'm thrilled the scale is moving again. Need to kiss goodbye another 5 lbs and reach my goal by summer which I think is June 21. I think I can do it!

Jellyfishjen, I loved reading your story about time spent with your mom. I spent 5 days with mine last week, she's 87 and doing really well for the most part. We didn't play cards this time like we usually do, but we did sip some wine in the evenings and laugh over some funny childhood memories, then had little dishes of decadent butter pecan ice cream. It was very difficult saying goodbye to her this time! :sad:

LuckyCheryl, welcome, you've joined here just by posting. There's nothing more to it other than to keep coming back :wink: And good luck on your journey!

Fitzy and Kat, I've made the sweet potato fries too, and they never seem to get crispy unless they burn. :laugh: Seriously, they're always soggy and limp like wet noodles. They taste great though! Back to the drawing board on that one...I make roasted potatoes often and they're always perfect. Maybe next time I do that I'll cut a sweet potato in cubes rather than strips and add it to the other spuds. Love sweet potatoes in soup, or just baked. :love:

I will resume SWSY strength training on Monday morning. Never got around to it this week, I was so exhausted after my trip and had to work way too many hours every day. I know, excuses, excuses. :blushing: One week off isn't the end of the world, I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

Have a wonderful day everyone, don't forget to drink your water and eat your salads, Sistas! :drinker: Oh, and thanks for all of the nice compliments about my pic. I'm happy to finally have one I can use....need a full body shot, though. One of these days I'll get brave and show a before and after. Scary. I'm still a bit embarassed about it. I know I shouldn't be.

Toodles, :bigsmile:
    jb

I think the trick to the sweet potatoes this way is to bake them on a really high heat...400 degrees f until crispy, if you bake them at a lower heat they will be mushy :glasses: