WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2012

Options

Replies

• kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    WELCOME, Denise and TheOriginalGI: You have found a great place for friendship and encouragement. I look forward to getting to know about you!

jb & Nancy: I roast beets at least once a week and I also usually roast peppers, onions, chopped sweet potatoes, carrots and asparagus at the same time. I have tried other things, but love them just tossed with a bit of olive oil and sea salt. I start the beets & sweet potatoes first, since they take longer, and add the asparagus last, as they will dry out if cooked too long. LOVE them hot, cold or in sandwiches or on salads. I make a roasted beet salad that I do use a vinegrette over the roasted beets with a bit of goat cheese (the hot beets melt the cheese a bit...yummy) add some pistachios chopped over the top...it is a family favorite and can become a whole meal with a bit of leftover chicken or steak chopped with it.
    I am happy to hear all the discussion about how to make sweet potatoes crispy because I make them all the time and they are not crispy. ( I bake the cut up pieces at 400 so I will try the method you mentioned, jb, with corn starch and moving the pan. My DIL says that she does them longer but in a cooler oven to make them crispy.) I like them any way they are cooked!

DH is trying to decide if he can handle the 5 hour car ride TO his friends funeral tomorrow, PLUS sitting in a church pew for an hour and standing at the graveside for a bit more. He can't sit on a hard chair right now even to eat, but has to sit in an upholstered chair with a tray in his lap. At least he did a lot for his friend while he was fighting cancer the past few years...I keep telling him that is what matters. (He drove 5 hours to take him to doctors several times, spent several days staying with him in FL while friend was doing some experimental chemo, etc. etc.) Still...I know he hates not to go! There is no good time to have back surgery and no good time for a friend to die!:cry::cry:

My garden is starting to look like a garden these days, and less like a weed patch. It is getting warm here now so I have to get my walk in early and get straight into the garden, then I usually go back in the late afternoon when it cools off. It's nice to see things taking shape!

Have a good rest of your day or night dear friends! Kackie:heart:
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hey, found the new posting ... I'm so proud of me :happy: I too have challenges for the next few days. I'll do my darndest but we've had a death in the family and it tends to send the eating schedule into chaos.

I too have a hard time finding things on here!! LOL I am so very sorry for your loss....you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I love your profile picture!!!

Hugs
    Bev
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Barbie, I know this challenge starts on Tuesday and I am hoping to lose at least 5 lbs in May. I have my official weigh in on Tuesday morning at Curves then I will aim for 5 lbs from that. Thanks for adding me to this challenge. I am hoping to make lots of new friends, MFP pals. If anyone would like to look at my profile or just add me please feel free too. I love to support, motivate and encourage others.

Hugs to all and I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday afternoon!!

Bev
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    not sure what happen there any where happy Sunday to you all

:happy: Niecee 56 Welcome you are in the right place for ideas encouragement and support stick with it

Jaks97 congrats on the babysitting duty can't wait to have Gracie for a bit but not sure that is going to happen any time soon she is only a week old and lives 4 hrs away but we do get to go see her again next weekend my DIL is throwing a surprise party for my son he turned 30 on the 19th of April but she was prego and due any day so she put it off until this next weekend. Enjoy your little Paisley

jb trying the sweet potatoe fries today with my grandkids we shall see how it goes I will let ya know I'm going to try the cornstarch & olive oil and baking high then on upper rack longer method sounds like a good idea

kackie I am sorry for your loss and for DH and his surgery My husband had 6 neck and back surgeries in 2 years nothing worse than having back problems you feel so dibilitated at times I know had one myself in 1996 the good news is both my hubby and I are both doing well I seldom have trouble unless I sleep funny My husband unfortunately will be on pain meds the rest of his life but he has adjusted and still lives a full life good luck to you both and again sorry for his friend. Sounds like he was a good friend to him while he was here and your right that is what matters

I can so relate to the projects that take years to complete took me 5 years to finish my first quilt and I have another one I've had for years and just need to finish quilting it my first blanket I crocheted probably took that long to. Good luck to all you crafters out there wish I had more time to do some my self maybe soon I can sart something any way will catch up later let you know how dinner goes
  • scompton54
    scompton54 Posts: 116
    Options
    Greetings All

It's been a great weekend for bike riding. As much as I enjoy the gym, being outside is SO much better. I biked for 80 km this weekend. The swans and geese are still nesting, no babies in sight yet but I would imagine soon. I go through times when I don't feel the love for exercising but when/if I do it, I feel positively elated. I can't recommend getting an HRM monitor enough. For one thing, the calorie burns on MFP seem high although I think they are probably based on being not very fit. Once you are in better shape, they give a false sense of security about how much you are burning. What I have started to do is set a goal of how many calories I want to burn and exercise accordingly.

I agree that gardening, if you are doing more than just weeding, burns a remarkable number of calories but have found that weight training burns less than I would have thought. I do love heavy lifting though and have found my strength has really increased remarkably. I don't do a lot of ab specific exercises but when I was doing yoga yesterday, I was amazed at how easy it was to do the downward dog to plank exercise to cobra exercises. I think that the weight training works more than what I think it does. My core is definitely stronger.

I did my first Stage 2 routine of TNROWLFW yesterday but think I should probably increase my weights as I felt no soreness today. I kind of love the next day aches of working out hard but didn't feel it today. I was, however, passed by someone who looked to be in his eighties on the bike path today, so I think I will have to up my game :smile:

Kackie....so sorry for your DH's loss.....he's had a tough go.

Katiejarr....we used to have a big English blue and white striped salt shaker in my house because my Dad loved salt and a visiting aunt from England thought it was a sugar shaker. She did NOT enjoy her sliced strawberries:laugh:

Another busy week of catering at work this week. I like that it keeps my students busy (and the money rolling in) but it is somewhat stressful to get everything done and I feel so responsible that everything is delicious and ready on time. I'm not quite Gordon Ramsey but I do feel like an incredible nag at times because my students don't feel quite the pressure that I do. Although they do know that we need to be self supporting for the program to continue, because they are students and not paid, they are not as committed as I feel. Attendance is already slipping and we still have six weeks to go until end of term.

Anyway, good luck to all this week.

regards

Sarah
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,353 Member
    Options
    the originalginging - welcome and best of luck to you. I assume Sydney is your granddaughter?

Did an hour of Wii balance games today. Tomorrow...yoga and then the extremepump class.

I got a temporary crown Wed and last night it fell off. Fortunately, the gal gave me some adhesive so I could put it back on myself. Only thing is, I must have done something wrong because it came off twice today. Both times while I was eating my cereal for breakfast. So I've been keeping to soft foods, oatmeal for lunch, made some chocolate mousse (lite silken tofu) and had that for a snack (very filling probably because it's high in protein). I'm going to hopefully go there tomorrow afternoon to get this fixed. Something just isn't right...don't know what. Unfortunately, the permanent crown most likely won't be in before we leave for Europe so I'm going to ask her for a few of these packets of adhesive. And I was so looking forward to tasting the foods particular to Italy!

dianecasey - what were you apologizing for?

niecee56 - welcome! Is Sharon Hill in the southern part of PA?

Kathy - good luck tomorrow. Tell us how it goes.

crocheters - have you gone to ravelry.com site? If so, what do you think of it? What about etsy and knitpicks?

Well, I can feel some discomort in my mouth. Need to take a shower and want to rest. Washed the railing on our deck. It runs the entire length of the house in the back, (I'm guessing about 21 feet long by about 9 feet wide)

Made a tunnel of fudge cake today, but for some reason it fell, so I'll make another tomorrow for Mesican Train Tues. Wish there was some way that I could check to see that it's baked mostly thru, but with the fudge in it a toothpick won't come out clean. Well, I'll bake it longer tomorrow.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,932 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Today I limited my exercise to dog walking. Jake made another fabulous taco salad for lunch and we spent a lot of time watching TV. I know that rest days are important but it is a real struggle for me to sit still and let my body rest.

:flowerforyou: Tomorrow is April 30 so at the end of the day there will be a link to the new thread for May……I know that starting a new thread can be confusing for some of our newer members, but I love the way the new thread gets us all focused on making new goals for the new month and stresses the idea of a clean page on the calendar and a chance for new beginnings.

:flowerforyou: I live in the Pacific Time zone and I’ll be watching DWTS starting about 8 PM so the new thread will probably be posted then…….with us in so many time zones, it will be early for some and late for others. Be vigilant and you’ll find us.

I’ve decided to keep most of my April goals for May but I’ve added one new goal from “The Happiness Project”.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington state.

April goals:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning
    * Yoga three days a week
    *100 lunges a day
    *strength training three days a week
    *17,000 steps a day

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ok jb I told you I would let you know the sweet potato fries were a BIG HIT they were so good made them with the corn starch and olive oil cooked for 20 min on bottom rack and 10 min on mid rack My grandaughters loved them and so did all the grown ups they thought they tasted like roaste marshmellows ha ha

Michele thanks for the choc chip muffin recipe that too was a huge hit almost all gone everyone loved them used flax seed instead of wheat bran cuz thats what I had but they were fantastic

had a wonderful time with my family today played all day wiped out but thrilled love days like this even got a surprise visit from my daughter and 1 of my other grandaughters GREAT DAY NIGHT ALL

i
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Sorry about your Crown Michelle :sad: Hope your not in too much pain and you can get it fixed soon

Ok Barbie I will do my best to find the new thread :bigsmile:

Yay Fitz Im happy the sweet potato fries came out yummy :tongue: I will try them that way too!

Well my Up Do class was a big success and all my stylists are geared up and ready for up coming Proms! But Im pooped!!! Now time to watch Once Upon a Time and The Celebrity Apprentice! I think I love TV a bit too much!!!!!

My goals for May
    Eat all my 1200 Calories ( I tend to not eat all my calories)
    When I'm not in Yoga - get to the Gym so I get 5 days of exercise in a week
    Drink LOTS of water everyday
    Free Weights 3 times a week

Good night Ladies
    Love
    Kat :heart:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sunny Monday here in Denver,

Had a nice weekend, time spent with Son #3 & DIL (when she wasn't at her conference) meals were good and I got in some new exercise on Saturday. I did some of the DWTS exercise DVD's and boy was I sore yesterday so yesterday was my rest day. Unfortunately I took the rest over the top and added a wine cooler (and not enought water) and some extra calories in the eating :sad: which gets me to today and I'm back on track.

I see it's time to give my May goals a thought and since I didn't do too good in April:cry: , May will have to be more thought out and realistic....

Everyone have a good day, move, log and drink:drinker: plenty of water.

Laura80111:smile:

One of the workers just came into my office to let me know that Peanut was in the trash in the kitchen:noway: it looks like someone had KFC over the weekend here at the office and the chicken bones were all over...I will have to keep an eye on him today and see if I can get someone to empty the trash:wink:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hello Monday! :smile:

It's a Salad Sistas kind of day, I know that much. And chicken soup. I fixed a large pot of it the other day so it's all ready to go. Chicken and vegs, all cooked together for an hour, cooled and refrigerated, fat skimmed off. I'm anxious to try the sweet potato fries using the corn starch coating, thanks to Fitzy giving the recipe a trial run. Looks like a thumbs up!

A wet morning here, looking like it's going to be a rainy week. Oh well. There are lots of things need doing in the house, and many seeds I need to start in trays for the garden. Hubby and I decided to wait to plant our tomatoes and peppers until next week when the temps are expected to rise again. They're growing happily in gallon pots out in the greenhouse where at least they're protected from the chilly wind.

Gosh was it ever a glorious day yesterday. Sun was shining in the afternoon and we busted buns in the yard and gardens. By 4:30 I was completely worn out and a little sore from spending 2 full days on my feet, working for hours, building, digging, weeding and planting. Great weekend, though, feeling rested this morn. Scale holding steady. Planning to kick it down a notch this week. :wink:

Heading upstairs for SWSY routine, I want to get it done before getting busy with everything else. Hope everyone has a wonderful day! Be good, be strong, eat your greens! :flowerforyou:

If you want to be thinner, diminish your dinner. :laugh:

jb
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options

Msh0530: We used to live in Fort Nelson, along the Alaska Highway. It’s beautiful country. Glad to hear you are going to take your time along the way.
    Hasta pronto,

Nancy

How funny! I just went through Fort Nelson yesterday! On the map, of course, as we are in the planning stage. Right now, in our plans, we are back in the continental US in Whitefish, Montana, and it is probably about the 18th of July. I think the biggest problem with this trip is going to be money, as we can't really afford it, but I don't want to wait until we are so old that we can't physically do it or enjoy it. It's only money, right? Anyway, I keep saying that we may be on the news for robbing banks along the way, and my husband says that will be fine as long as they play some good bluegrass "Bonnie and Clyde" type music in the background for the news story! :laugh:

Is it Friday yet????
    No, of course not. It is indeed Monday, the day that I supervise detention. (The good news being that currently, I only have to do Mondays, and there are only 4 left in our school year counting today!) My coworker who works detention with me met me at Subway this morning to pick up lunch for the day together. Kind of our reward for having to do a task that we dislike today.

My sewing day on Saturday was great fun. I started a quilt top for my newest great niece (3 weeks old) in Seattle, who I will get to meet along with her 3 year old brother that I haven't met while we are on our trip. I plan to make him a quilt too. Guess I will be pretty busy this next month!

I had better start pretending to work. See you all later, and hope your Monday is as painless as possible! Mary
  • yclayton
    yclayton Posts: 44
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone!:flowerforyou:

Well I really blew it last night….after church some of us decided to go out to dinner, and I really really lost my mind in chilis! I ate a WHOLE avocado burger WITH FRIES! YIKES!:angry: But today I am back on track and had the best smoothie for breakfast…am going to try it on my grandson who is 2 and eats NO veggies or fruits. No matter how we try. He just wont. For a while we could get him to eat them in squeezers, but now he refuses those too! Lily was like that for a while, but now she eats tons of veggies and fruits, love them raw! :smile:
    Nice cool day here, overcast, but hot hot hot weather coming in a few days…may not even make lily’s horse show on Sunday if if is still in the 90s as predicted. The whole point of taking a 4 year old to shows is for her enjoyment and at 90 degrees no one will be happy!
    Sorta bummed…my mare is off in her front feet and has been going back and forth with it for about a week. Cant find anything wrong…farrier came and checked shoes etc…guess I will be calling vet…boo.:frown:
    Garden is off to good start….tomatoes, potatoes, cucumbers, onions and peppers in so far…herbs are growing like crazy…dill, rosemary, tarragon, oregano, garlic, chives…my son is starting cilantro and basil for me, ready to put in next week…also need to get some thyme, sage and mint! :bigsmile:

To all you crocheters, knitters and quilters – good luck with all those projects…not for me…I have not the patience to do any of that. I used to do needlepoint but no longer have the patience for that either. Every year I make my grandchildrens Halloween costumes and boy do the bad words fly around here as I don’t like to sew either, but I CAN sew and have you SEEN the flimsy costumes available these days? Yikes! So I do that, but this year I will only have to make a frog costume to go with the princess tiana costume purchased at the bibbity bobbity boutique at Disney. YAY! They are always dressed together, snow white and happy, Cinderella and Gus, tiana and whatever the frogs name is…probably last year lucas will stand for that!

Kackie – that ride does not sound like the thing for him to do! Hope he is feeling better and doesn’t overdo. Love roasted veggies…think I will tell my hubby to put some beets in our garden this year..

Sherry – understand earthquake weather…sounds a bit like hurricane weather….just a feel to the atmosphere….such fun to have the babies isn’t it?

Jane – thinking of you and hoping your hubbys job works out and picks up. It is so totally difficult to live with family….our culture has gone so far past the era when it was the normal thing for multiple generations to live together…I guess there can be benefits, but I bet it wasn’t any easier back then. Except that it was normal. :flowerforyou:

Barbie – so glad jake is better.:flowerforyou:

Kindle users – I never thought I wanted a kindle but my son gave me one for Christmas and I have read over 30 books on it since then! I do like the feel of a ‘real’ book, but the kindle is SO convenient and now that I can check out digitally from the library….its great! Will have to check out these chocolate murder books you all are talking about!

Nancy – life in a wheelchair is tough when you are used to being active:grumble: …several years ago I broke my ankle very badly and was wheelchair and crutch bound…it was the pits. I wasn’t really into exercise at that time but I did so much on the farm that being inactive nearly drove me crazy. The good news was that my upper body strength was good b/c I was used to tossing 50-80 lb bales of hay so I had no trouble with the crutches! I went to the barn and crutched my way up and down the aisle for exercise…wish I had some advice for you but all I can say is enjoy your time to read maybe? I like the leather cover for my kindle as well.

Scompton – baby swans, what fun! I agree about the core strength. My riding trainer says she can see a big difference in my position and riding since I started working out. I like the weights, not a huge fan of cardio but it is a necessary evil, and if I can read while I am doing it, so much the better….so I usually do my cardio at the gym on an elliptical or bike.

Michele – sorry about your crown! Hope it doesn’t interfere too much…you stay so so busy…you are a real inspiration!

Laura – glad you had a good weekend….i need to actually SET some goals for may…I am only 4 pounds from my original goal weight, and when I reach that I will readjust, and set a new goal weight…have to do it in stages or I wont ever stick to it!

Hope everyone has a great Monday…yvonne
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Good Monday Morning Ladies :flowerforyou:

Sunny and warm here in La Quinta (Palm Springs)!

Im off to a Job Fair...My General Manager and I are about to pend the next 3 hours interviewing 25 hairstylists!!!!! Wish me luck!!!!!

I hope you all have a beautiful day! I didn't get a chance to exercise this morning so Im hoping to get some time in this afternoon, I must admit when it hits the upper 90's here its hard for me to get motivated to go to the gym :sad: maybe I will go for a swim instead :bigsmile:

Healthy Eating everyone!!!

Love
    Kat:heart:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I did well on my goal of getting back into exercising everyday. Facebook has a walk 30 minutes for 31 days for May challenge which I joined and invited all my Facebook friends that have posted about loosing weight, getting in better shape or wanting to be healthier. As usual, people can talk and then there is following through. lol

My old walking buddy from North Campus (I am off campus now) did accept the challenge, so we are going to meet on Tuesdays after work and walk the 30 minutes together for May.

Jeannie
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon.
    My goals are to work up to walking a mile,continue my pt ex and keep going forward with the knee.
    Eating somewhat healthy for my birthday and my grand daughter`s this week.
    Don`t let my situation and life turn me to food,it doesn`t help.
    Taking it one day at a time with life as well as the fitness part.
    HUGS
    jane
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Jane happy birthday to you and your grand daughter. Have fun
    Joyce
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,932 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I swiped this information off Mary's birthday list. Some of our most active members have birthdays in May.:bigsmile:

May:
    2 gracete
    2 janemartin02
    4 chicletgirl21
    5 Debma1010
    6 - smwert
    13 lovediets
    13 - jberberian
    20 mimi7grands
    23 - debieanne
    25 jam0525
    25 wehavethestars
    25 - sissygok
    26 vickim26
    27 - rjadams
    30 msh0530
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! Worked on the garden project yesterday...pulled out a ton of plants (to be transplanted at the camp) . I was only going to get started but then I couldn't stop...4 hours later I treated myself to a cold (light) beer! I wish I had the discipline for a veggie garden..I grow my herbs in pots, they don't get too weedy usually! Lol! Have not been sleeping very well lately..not sure why, maybe tonight will be my night.

Love the farm stories...I grew up raising sheep and probably did not appreciate all the positives it brought to my life. I remember throwing hay bales, probably could not do it now!

Have a good night all!

:heart:
    Jen
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,353 Member
    Options
    katie - like I said, I have a high tolerance for pain. So to me, it's more discomfort than anything else. Most people would probably consider it pain, but I don't. I'm going to go to the dentist today at 2. Then could have done 12, but I couldn't be asbsolutely sure that I'd be there by 12, so I made it for 2. Thanks for your good thoughts.

fitz - you are doing so so good, I'm very impressed.

Did 15 min of yoga today and then an hour of extremepump. Tomorrow I'll use the stairmaster.

Stopped at the Y and gave them a piece of the tunnel of fudge cake, then went bowling and gave them a piece. Now there's just a little piece for Vince to finish. Made another cake to take to Mexican Train tomorrow night along with some shrimp (I'm not big on cake but I know Vince is). Went to Aldi's, then to Kohl's to get a dishtowel, then to the dentist. They fixed the crown, put more of a permanent adhesive on it. They told me it may be hard to get off when the permanent crown comes in, but I can live with that. Then came home, finished cleaning the railing on our deck (Vince put up rope lights), and made the cake. It stuck to the pan a bit, probably because I left it in the pan for 2 hours and it should only have been in for 1-1/2 hour. Getting ready for tomorrow, exercise and then mahjongg

Pretty nice day here, it started out cloudy, but I would guess it got into the upper 70's

Off to watch DWTS. Hope everyone has a great evening

Michele