Replies

• westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Not dealing well with this and could do with some advice. My daughter,only child, is a dancer. Has her dream audition coming up in mid July. Has just last week, upped her level of training, to give her the best chance of reaching her dream. However she hurt her foot but she didn't think it was too bad and kept trying to keep going. After seeing her physio today it was not the news she wanted. At least 6 weeks to heal. No dancing on it. So upset for her. I just cant put it in prospective. She will have to try and do work in the pool, and use an exercise bike. Also has a show to do on the 25th May. (4 1/2 weeks) might manage that. But I am devasated for her.:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: How do I help her and keep her spirits up? How do I not let it effect me? It is a stressfull industry as it is, but it is her passion. She was so happy last week with the increase in her training and now this.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,933 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Jen, the best advice I ever got during a very dark time in my life was to stay in the moment and not drift into thoughts about the past or the future. Use that advice for yourself and share it with your daughter. Stay in the moment and do whatever you can do at this moment........also start keeping a daily gratitude list so your day starts with a focus on what you have to be grateful for instead of drifting into the the fear of what you don't have or might lose.

:heart: Barbie
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    What does "bump" mean???:smile:

they are saving it and well come back to it later :happy:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning! :flowerforyou:
    It's nice to be home, had a wonderful 5 days with my fam in San Diego....they greeted me with "Hi, Skinny!" :happy: I received soooo many compliments! Gatherings centered around food, as usual, but I took it easy on portions in order to allow for partaking in the decadent desserts including coconut cream pie, chocolate eclairs, my mom's chocolate birthday cake, and butter pecan ice cream. Goodness gracious. Delicious, all of it. :tongue:
    I managed to get a workout in every day, long walks, treadmill, recumbent bike, and upper body strength training with 5 lb weights. On Sunday I climbed Mt. Woodson with my SIL, 1.5 miles of steep incline to the tune of about 1200 feet elevation in 40 minutes. We had to stop a couple of times to catch our breath, whew. I did great but wow is my butt ever sore lol.
    Back to work today, and back to logging and reuniting with the Salad Sistas. Need to kiss goodbye the couple of pounds that have magically reappeared. :blushing:
    Have a great day!
    jb
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Jen - (and others from Australia or New Zealand) Happy ANZAC Day! Thank you for the education. I really do appreciate learning things like that.
    Fitz - Congratulations on the new baby! They are so wonderful.
    Laura - Praise God that your son is okay, and prayers for those who are not.

There were more of you that I wanted to respond to, but memory and time are both limited. Have a great day! Mary
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Gonna be a hot Tuesday here,

Happy ANZAC day - thanks for the education, I always enjoy learning new things, especially relating to the military.

Only time to pop in with a HI, hope all are well or getting well and that you are logging, moving and drinking your way to thinness:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Have had a pretty bad week, not tracking, not exercising and eating things I should not eat. I've felt lethargic and achy all week and just could not make myself do anything, having major knee problems again, very swollen and painful, I probably need to go back to the orthopedic doc that did my knee replacement but afraid that it will be bad news. I went through so much for so many years with these knees I just cannot stand the idea of any more surgery. I need some sunshine so today I am going to the gym and getting out and about doing a few errands.

Sissy
  • brayla1
    brayla1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Lost track of this thread...back now...
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Just marking my spot. Lots of reading to catch up on.

Geri
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Marking my spot too. Off to meet the bus. Working the rest of the week. I'll keep each of you in my thoughts! Keep up the hard work Ladies!!!!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    :heart: Thanks Barbie for some sage advice. Live in the moment and will also start our gratitude diaries.

Up early well actually I didn't sleep. but now I can catch the earlier train into the city (1 hr trip) and join my husband and daughter for ANZAC day. They are attending the dawn service.

Sissy my family and hubbys family have knee problems. I feel for you. My daughter had knee reconstruction at 17. I would put my head in the sand too rather then hear any bad news, but maybe it wont be so bad and the surgeon will be able to help you. Hope you got some sunshine and it lifted your spirits.

My love to you all.

Must fly so i can get that early train.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen

So sorry about your daughter's injury :heart: I have a daughter and I know that whenever she has a step back or a disappointment I take it on like its mine, so I feel your pain...:frown: the only advice I can give, besides really taking to heart wheat Barbie said which is really good advice :heart: :heart: is that she needs to heal and she needs to take this time and listen to her Dr's and rest and heal...July will come and hope fully if she rests and heals, she will be able to dance in July and make that audition...she is young, she will heal fast, she needs to keep a positive attitude (and so do you :wink: ). I always tell my daughter that a year from now this (whatever it is) will not be as big of a deal as it seems today...so focus on what you can change night now and not what you can't :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Hang in there!!!

Love Kat

PS
    Last August I broke 2 bones in my ankle and was in a cast for 2 months (non weight bearing) and i thought I would never get back to my ole self!!!!! But I did :smile: and Im old!!!! LOL :laugh: :laugh: By Oct I was back to Yoga and the gym and that was a break so she will be fine before she knows it!!!!!
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    It is great to read your posts. It makes me realize that we are all working through what we need to...and not giving up! I am going to my weigh in for the Weight Loss Challenge tonight. I am not seeing a loss on my scale. I am just getting back to exercise...gently. My visit with the chiropractor was good yesterday so I am going to start the weight gently. I will start the Strong Women Stay Young program...gotta get the ankle weights. I got to the gym yesterday and rode the bike for 30 minutes. Today I taught my yoga class. It is so easy to slide back into inactivity for me that it is scary! I know that has really affected my losses (or lack of losses) the past three weeks. I plan to get back to the schedule of my exercise (and "show up" at the exercise and be gentle) this week. Next week, I am really itching to get back to Cycle 1 of the 17 Day Diet...I just wanted to REALLY WANT to do it before I start. I think I am getting ready!

Kackie...I hope your husband does well in the surgery today.

Michele.....Love reading your posts...makes me want to exercise!

Have a good night,
    Sally
  • dranke2445
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this site. Well I tried to use it a couple of years ago but didn't get too far. Hopeful things will be better this time. I need to lose about 60lbs. My motivation is to have better health and to be happier with myself again. Also our daughter is getting married November 3rd so of course I want to look nicer for her wedding. And I'm going on a trip to Paris in April 2013 so that's another motivator. I've had a good couple of days so far & am going to work hard at putting some sort of a streak together. Hope everyone has a wonderful evening.

Diana from Michigan
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

Just a quick post before I go and collapse into bed. I've spent 11 hours converting one of our smaller spare bedrooms into a walk in closet - and I am so pleased with it.

I even put up some shelves to display some of my favourite shoes on - they are too pretty to keep hidden away.

One thing shocked me though - I emptied four double wardrobes of my stuff (this doesn't include coats which we keep in the cloakroom downstairs). I have so many clothes! I have filled up six big boxes to take to the charity shop tomorrow. I was totally ruthless and if something was even a little bit too big - I sent it on it's merry way.

Tomorrow is a busy day. I'm attending a gallery opening in the evening, which will be fun, but I've got absolutely nothing to wear ! Ha ha. I have a plethora of outfits to choose from now - all beautifully hung up and ready to go.

Speaking of ready to go - I'm off to my bed!

Hope you are all doing well and coping under any stresses that life is throwing your way.

Love to all
    Amanda x
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, happy Tuesday! And happy ANZAC Day..I loved the info and history, with a son in the military, I am paying more attention to all things military. I did not exercise yesterday...the body was tired from the weekend gardening, etc. I did. 12 miles this am on bike...don't normally have time, but woke up early with no alarm, just a hot flash:mad: oh well

I have a question...why am I more hungry on a day that I don't exercise than on a day that I do? I am trying to teach myself to listen to my body and not just eat by the clock or habit...new habits are hard, but not impossible to learn. I think if I tell myself that often enough I will believe it!! :wink:

Have a good evening everyone
    :heart:
    Jen
  • dlpappas
    dlpappas Posts: 14
    Options
    Phew - I thought I lost you all! I love reading everyone’s successes, exercise tips and advice and cute, funny stories, and all the things going on in your lives. I love this place!

Jane, I’m giving you a hug right now. You are such a warm, caring person; it’s sad that you have these challenges. You can always vent here; we care about you and support you. Hugs to YOU, dear Jane.

There’s a lot to read here but I’ll catch up later.

Don’t know if any of you are familiar with Miranda Esmonde-White, Classical Stretch or “The Esmonde Technique”, but if you can check out her show on PBS. It comes from Canada but is televised all over. She has a great stretching program that also works in full-body muscle toning and balance. It’s much more than gentle stretching – you’re really working – but isn’t yoga. I did her program regularly up until about 3 years ago and after my hip replacement I as afraid to continue with it. I contacted her recently by email, she replied with some advice and I’ve gotten back into stretching. If you don’t get her program, full seasons are available on DVD. Stretching feels so good, is good for you, and gets this old body moving in the morning.

Question - does anyone know how to figure out how many calories you’ve burned during an exercise that isn’t in the data base? Or if you can see all of the exercises in the data base?

Have a great night, everyone.
    Diane
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,353 Member
    Options
    katie - with all those typos, are you SURE you did't have any wen?????? lol

Got up, got dressed (had an orange while I was getting dressed), then went to exercise. Did an hour of incline intervals on the treadmill -- 3 min @ 3% incline, 6%, 9%, 12%, 3% etc. 4mph. Tomorrow I'll do some deep water then probably stop at a food store on my way home since I need to get an onion and some tomatoes to slice for the bowling party tomorrow night. Vince went to the Newcomer board meeting, it's at this one lady's house which is quite far from us, there is no way I can get back in time for my class at 1:30 so I'm not going. In case they discuss the membership, I know Vince wants to be there. One lady (who is off the board now) felt that we should have a schedule for memberships. By that I mean a single would be one price, a family would be another. Vince feels (and I agree with him) that should we do that, we would probably wind up losing money because (for example) someone like mysef would be a member and bring their spouse as a guest. Gave Vince the bowling pins (he'd made up the certificates) for the "giveaways" at the party, the cake for the party along with a cake server, and a cake to take to the woman who is having the meeting. I told him not to bring that cake home, she has her teenage nephew living with her so he can finish it. Besides, I don't want it in the house.

barbie - I was a bit disappointed with Gladys's dance last night. I truly expected more. I wonder if the show was so much like a homecoming for her that she didn't practice as much.

Diana - welcome! Is that the first time you will have been to Paris? I went for the first time last year. Their food is out of this world! Even with all that great food, I didn't gain much at all, probably from all the walking around that I did.

I just lost a filling on a tooth. So tomorrow a.m. I'm going to call the dentist, then hopefully after water exercise he can fill it.

Tomorrow is going to be a full day. Get up, get cdressed, call the dentist, go to exercise class, hopefully get filling put in, need to stop at the store to get an onion and tomato to cut up for tomorrow night, senior bowling at 1, then come home to cut up the onion and tomato j(I've already washed the lettuce and bought the pickles), have the apres-bowling party. Phew! Well, on Wed. I usually don't eat a whole lot anyway so I'll have calories to spare at their house. Oh, gotta get the shrimp ready to take, too. It's already defrosting in my refrig.

Hope everyone has a great evening. Off to watch the results of DWTS (I DVR'd it)

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,933 Member
    Options

Question - does anyone know how to figure out how many calories you’ve burned during an exercise that isn’t in the data base? Or if you can see all of the exercises in the data base?

Diane, I tried a lot of ways to figure calories including using Google to search for calories burned on other websites, but the most accurate information comes from wearing a heart rate monitor......i got one in January and it is my new best friend :laugh:

:bigsmile: Yesterday's beautiful sunny spring weather turned into chilly and drizzly today......I went out to lunch today with a big group to celebrate a friend's sobriety birthday......I sidestepped all the sandwiches with waffle fries and all the salads with creamy dressings, and had a yogurt parfait (yogurt, granola, and fresh fruit). I don't keep yogurt and granola in my house because I am unable to be moderate with them so ordering them in a restaurant was perfect.

:flowerforyou: I will be teaching a two and half hour line dance class tomorrow so I spent the morning practicing dances and organizing CDs and step sheets. i did my weight training in the afternoon and have thinned the routine down to an hour.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:bigsmile: Jen, Have you studied your food diary to see if there are differences in what you eat on exercise days versus non-exercise days? Is all your food nutrition dense so your body is getting enough nutrition?

:flowerforyou: Michele, I was disappointed in Gladys' dance, too. Maybe the reunion was a contributing factor. I think it would be very sad for her to be voted off after the Motown reunion show....We are looking forward to the results show tonight.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington state where the days are getting longer :bigsmile: