WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2012

Options

Replies

• kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday, Dear Ladies,

I had a NSV this morning...I actually RAN...ok, jogged...for 45 whole minutes without stopping or walking! I have not done that in about 30 years, so it felt great. (3 miles) I NEEDED to run because I have been eating back ALL of my exercise calories recently and then some a couple of days. Don't know why I have been so hungry or why I've let myself fall back into some bad comfort eating habits, but this is enough!

Anyway, had to share this exciting milestone. Don't plan on running often, but I like to try to do some 1-2 x a week to boost my heart rate.

Kat: Sounds like your trainer gave you good advice. I do not lose weight if I have carbs at night. Even if everything else for the day is whole, real foods, I just don't use up the carbs late in the day any more. I read somewhere to stop about 2 o'clock, even with fruit, so I have been trying to do that and letting myself have a mix of protein and carbs along with lots of veggies at breakfast and lunch. Then maybe an apple & a bit of nuts or peanut butter around 2pm. Dinner is usually lots of veggies and a bit of lean meat... Stir fried in a big wok or roasted.

I am also a huge fan of interval training. I think at any age, but especially our ages, it becomes necessary to help our metabolism from slowing down more than it already has! Good luck and keep us posted!

sdarst: Welcome! Jump right in and come back here often so that we get to know you better. There are lots of helpful people here to help you on your journey!

Milli & watchmelrose: Welcome too! Good to have you here and Good luck! We all learn from each other!

Gotta go start chopping up some veggies for dinner. I HAVE to have more of a plan and stick to it...I've drifted a bit lately.:grumble:

Take care, Kackie:heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: This is supposed to be a rest day but the dogs never want to rest. We had planned to do an Isagenix cleanse day today so when I woke up early, I moved into the guest room and read myself back to sleep and didn’t get up until well after sunrise. Jake got up and suggested that we not do a cleanse day and wait until next Sunday so I agreed but said that I wasn’t cooking today and it would have to be “find it and fix it”. It got really warm so I used the time well to work in the yard, pulling weeds and moving rocks. I guess I rested more than on a regular day but I did my 100 lunges and walked 17,000 steps.

:bigsmile: Diane, you are really pretty. I’m glad you feel safe posting a picture for us.

:flowerforyou: Sherry, I live in a small town with not many stores. I bought my ankle weights from Amazon.com and got free shipping.

:bigsmile: Jeannie, your mom and daughter are beautiful……putting pictures on your post is a slightly complicated process using flickr or photobucket or some other photo posting website.

:bigsmile: Kackie, all that running is amazing…..you are right about interval training. I don’t do it and I know I should.

:flowerforyou: If you are new here, we welcome you and hope you’ll come back often enough to get to know us and feel part of the family.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington state where it has been sort of sunny all day and over 60 degrees.
  • rosamgon
    rosamgon Posts: 3
    Options
    What I need to do for belong to a group ...they started today tomorrow?
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    A funny story for you all...our son tried to call us in the middle of the week (he is a Marine in CA) and we were not at home...so he called his sister to make sure we were OK..she told him that we were probably out to dinner or something and he replied BUT THEY DON'T DO THAT...to which wise older sister replied...things are different now that the chicks are gone:laugh: :laugh: just for the record we are not in our. 90's we are 50 & 54!!! Well it entertained hubby and me and shows us our baby boy really is growing up and thinking (finally) outside the self.

Had a fairly quiet day...worked about 1.5 hours in the garden ...I bought some garde edging, but I don't really like it so may have to search for something else. It Was a little chilly today so when I came inside I curled up with my kindle and a blanket ...our cat (who is on borrowed time.. 15and has cancer) came up in the chair to snuggle so that was a nice way to spend the rest of the afternoon.

Enjoy what is left of the weekend.
    :heart:
    Jen
  • djhobs
    Options
    Rosamgon - welcome, you just did. This is an amazing group...full of advice, humor,knowledge and most important...support.:love:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a good week-end.Difficult week-end here.Sometimes it feels like life keeps throwing stuff at us.
    We had to give up 2 of our cats when we moved in with our son and his wife.They were being taking care of my a real nice family.
    Milo either didn`t adjust to the change,not sure what happened.he stopped eating and went into liver failure.The vet did what he could.He had lost 1/2 his body wt.We had him put to sleep yesterday.He was only 3.
    Haven`t felt like doing much today.Did ok with my eating,which I usually go to for comfort.
    My DIL comes home and blames me for bleaching some towels.Whenever something is wrong,of course I did,it.
    I spent part of the day,cleaning ,but that will never be appreciated.I`m stuck here,I am grateful for them taking us in,but sometimes I feel like some bum off the street they took in,instead of their mom and MIL.
    Sorry for venting,I`m just having a rough time today.
    Thanks for listening .
    HUGS
    jane
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    A funny story for you all...our son tried to call us in the middle of the week (he is a Marine in CA) and we were not at home...so he called his sister to make sure we were OK..she told him that we were probably out to dinner or something and he replied BUT THEY DON'T DO THAT...to which wise older sister replied...things are different now that the chicks are gone:laugh: :laugh: just for the record we are not in our. 90's we are 50 & 54!!! Well it entertained hubby and me and shows us our baby boy really is growing up and thinking (finally) outside the self.

Had a fairly quiet day...worked about 1.5 hours in the garden ...I bought some garde edging, but I don't really like it so may have to search for something else. It Was a little chilly today so when I came inside I curled up with my kindle and a blanket ...our cat (who is on borrowed time.. 15and has cancer) came up in the chair to snuggle so that was a nice way to spend the rest of the afternoon.

• katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options

:heart:
    That made me laugh!!! Both my kids (21 and 19) are moved out and it cracks me up how they are amazed how we "live" when they are gone :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Love the stories!!!!!
    Jen

Opps that posted funny!!!! Heres what I wrote and it looked like Jen wrote it???
    That made me laugh!!! Both my kids (21 and 19) are moved out and it cracks me up how they are amazed how we "live" when they are gone :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Love the stories!!!!!

Ok Im still learning that silly Quote button :frown: :embarassed:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :laugh: When our son moved out he asked what we were going to do with his room and we told him that we were going to change the name and we wouldn't be calling it "John's Room" any more :laugh:

:heart: Jane, I am so sorry about your cat and so sorry that you are having other challenges.....you always come from a place of love and it is sad that others are not returning it to you.
  • djhobs
    Options
    That is ok...I am afraid to use the quote button...techno challenged...I have no idea how people write in Word and then post...I guess I have other talents LOL:laugh:
  • aimreachachieve
    Options
    What a great group! I've just rejoined and I'd love to be part of this group of motivated, witty, caring and supportive ladies. My goal is to drive past instead of drive through the fast food restaurants, eat a healthier and balanced diet, bloat myself up with water instead of diet coke, excercise by letting my dog take me for a walk, and journal "all" my foods in my tracker.

I live in Southern California where the weather is pretty decent so I've no excuse in not getting out to exercise...I need the accountability so I will be posting it on this challenge.

Wishing you all a blessed and healthy week,
    Debbie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    welcome KathyRN - I take it you're a nurse? That's wonderful! You've certainly come to the right place for inspiration. We're so glad to have you. Keep posting and you'll get lots of good ideas, I know that I have!

A bit on the chilly side here today. Drizzling. Gotta work on my food safety things, I like to reread the chapters and do the exercises in the book.

Did an hour of Wii training games today. Tomorrow...yoga and then extremepump. Gotta take the food donations from my church to the soup kitchen tomorrow a.m.

Making this "tunnel of fudge" cake for the lady who teaches us crochet. Her birthday is coming up and she won't be there, so I'm making her a cake. I know that Vince really likes it. For some reason, you can't keep it out for very long, and I have no idea way. Well, after it cools, I'll just freeze it. I'm thinking of just putting a dusting of powder sugar on top instead of the chocolate ganash. To me, that's too much chocolate, although Vince doesn't agree....lol Then I'll make the fish we're going to have tomorrow. I like to make things and then just have to reheat them.

Oh, I just found out that this one fry pan I got from my father is made of cast iron! I was afraid it was aluminum and in that case I'd get rid of it. But I won't get rid of a cast iron pan, that's for sure!

Amanda - thanks for the smile about the support not being bras. That brightened my day

Dianne - I am so unphotogenic it isn't even funny. But you know something? It seems I'm not all that bad in pics that are taken without my knowledge. If I know that the pic is being taken, you can be sure that I'll look "weird" - eyes too open or something.

Sherry - you know that you can always use soup cans for weights until you get ones?

katie - when I do intervals on the elliptical, I typically go for 30 seconds at a fast pace, then 1 minute at a recovery pace. I typically get up to around 230 steps in the fast pace and about 130 in the recovery. I do this for about an hour. But the first time I did it -- I seriously thought I was going to die! I know that I didn't do it anywhere near an hour, I may have done it for just 30 minutes. You know, on one episode of the Dr. Oz show he recommended that you exercise on an empty stomach, said that you'd lose more body fat. To me, tho, if you wouldn't run a car on empty, why would you run your body on empty???? Yup, I've always heard that you should have some protein within something like 30 minutes of your workout. I know that you should have some carbs before working out. Any fruit would certainly provide that. Sounds like she's giving you very good advice. Like you, I really only use this site to log my food and come here. To me, some of the other forums are a waste of time. Guess that's just age, when I read 20-somethings I think "just wait".

millie - welcome! You'll get great support here.

kackie - congrats on the run (even IF it was a jog)! That's fantastic!

watchmelose - welcome back! So sorry to hear about the deaths in your family, but glad to have you back

sdarst - I was where you were at, the "what I wouldn't do for a cheeseburger". What I found helped me was getting into eating lots of veggies. Instead of a hamburger, I'd have a veggie burger. I started out having 1/2 a piece of cheese and eventually got to where I don't want any. It takes a while, but you'll get there!

jane - I'm so sorry to hear about Milo. I know how very hard it is to lose a pet.

aimreachachie - welcome to a great group! You're one of us now (there's no getting out of it!)

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'd like to welcome al the newcomers.This group of ladies are the best.
    I have a bad scale keep thinking it is the battery. But know it is this plateau
    that as plague me for a month. I've drop my calories to 1250 as of last Monday .I'm on graveyard so
    not weighing in until Wednesday morning. 2nd day off. So hoping for any type of lost.
    Joyce
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Sleepless night = tired = mindless snacking = going for a nap to stop eating.
  • KathyGSM
    KathyGSM Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi Ladies - well here I am AGAIN!:explode: I have not kept my promise to myself to log my daily food intake and stay on track:cry::sad: . I am once again STARTING OVER :blushing: - literally because in the past 2 weeks since I have stopped tracking I have gained 2 lbs of the weight I lost. Although that does not seem like a lot to some people it is really discouraging to me because that is not what I want to see. I even stopped reading the posts on:embarassed: here which probably also contributed to my slump. My workout partner and I have made a commitment to each other just this morning that we will - at least for the next 5 weeks - work a very strict food and workout plan. We signed up for a class at the gym called Fit-Traxx that is guaranteed to work. That class starts next Monday so we will see. They will take our measurements before we start and after the 4 week period and I WILL SEE RESULTS FINALLY!!! I am so ready for this!:happy:

Well I have to go get ready for work - hope you all have wonderful Monday. :heart:
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Goodmoring Ladies!!

Love reading all the stories about the empty nesters! I know my kids can't imagine us having any life at all that doesn't revolve around them.

I haven't eaten the best the last few days. Too much processed food and not enough greens. Back at it today. I am also going to pick up some melatonin. I don't know what is going on but my hormones are all over the place. I thought they had stopped wrecking havoc...... Hope it works. I think I got 4 hours last night at the most. I'm going to put my juicer out in front of my nose too, and get that baby humming again in the morning.

I love all the new ideas here this week. I'm going to try to do some" burst intervals" this week with my cardio and see if I can get my scale moving in the "right direction".

Haven't had time to read anything inspiring lately. "The Happiness Project" sounds great! We always remind our kids as they leave the house to give lots of smiles to their teachers and friends. Smiles......have the power to change someones day.

Thank you all for sharing your stories and logging in and keeping at this. We will get there!! Have a great week Ladies.
  • slybetts
    slybetts Posts: 2
    Options
    What inspiration you folks are! 100 lunges per day - yowch! I absolutely HATE lunges, but you've given me something to shoot for, thank you! Have a great day!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Just back from celebrating with my mother for her 83rd birthday. We had a great time!

Loving the empty nest stories. When I dropped my youngest daughter off at college for the first time, she called me the next night. It was about 9pm and she asked what I was doing. I said that I was driving home from a meeting at church, and her response? "Isn't it kind of late for you to be out, Mom?" Mind you, it had only been 24 hours since she moved out, and I hadn't been home before 9:30 or 10 for most of her life! I told my other daughters that I thought that once she moved out, she thought that I would sit in a rocking chair with an afghan over my legs and knit. :laugh:

Anyway, got to go get caught up. Happy Monday to all! Mary
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning dear ladies,

Home again! Such a pleasure to be in my own house. :drinker: We’ve got more floor space than my parents, so it’s much easier to wheel around. I really hate clutter, and clutter does not seem to bother DH and J’boy. When I look around at all the things I can’t get up and put away I realize that this will be a growing experience in many ways.

When my DD (difficult daughter) was a teenager I used to calm myself with the Barbara Coloroso mantra: “Is it illegal? Is it immoral? Is it life threatening?” :huh: If the answer to all three is “No” then why get upset about the purple hair and the lip piercings? Save it for the big stuff.

How is this relevant to my present situation? Well, I have to decide what to spend my energy on, and accept that there are a lot of things I can’t do without damaging my foot. So…is the pile of newspaper and junk on the kitchen counter illegal? Immoral? Life threatening? I’m going to have to get used to it. On the other hand, if J’boy continues to leave dirty plates and the ketchup bottle on the coffee table in the front room I will be threatening his life. :bigsmile: There’s a limit!

I have 10 lb, 5 lb and 2 lb dumbbells at my feet. Chair aerobics report coming soon.

Amanda, I am trying to picture you lying on your back with your feet by your ears. :happy: Yoga? Practicing for the Chinese Circus?

Diane, speaking of the pictures people use on MFP, I have noticed that when we first start we tend to choose something impersonal (such as your flowers) or a comic picture (which is what I did). As we get more confident we post our “real” faces.

Jaks97, I am going to look up “Sit and Be Fit” on UTube! I had fantastic big hair in the 80’s. :wink:

Katiejarr – the advice from your trainer reinforces what I’ve read and tried. In many parts of the world where we’ve travelled the main meal is at mid-day, which fits with her advice not to eat grains at night. I think I will do salads at supper for a while.

Kackie, congratulations on the 45 minute run. :drinker:

Realpure, I think smiles don’t just change someone’s day – they change the world. :heart: :smile:

I'm off to plan menus and write a shopping list for DH so we can stock up on necessities for the week. Need to figure out how to wash my hair ...

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    so the challenge for me this week is business travel all week. Making the right choices is hard because I love to eat at restaurants and I dont ever do it when I am at home. I will try to take advantage of the hotel gym equipment and such. I am not sure how much I will be around. have a great week all.

Robin, missing her Bodi boy and Ritter bit.