WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2012

Options

Replies

• djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Mazaron - "scary lady book " title is weight training made easy by Joyce Vedral. There are absolutely upper body exercises that you. can do sitting down..many of them she does on a flat weight bench..chest exercises are flat press, incline press, incline flye (which could probably be done flat as well) and a pull over. Triceps - overhead press, one arm overhead extension and one on the bench. Biceps -alternate curl, simultaneous curl and alternate hammer curl. Most of the shoulder ones would be hard sitting except for an alternate shoulder press...I have found this to be a great resource (once you get past the pictures) :laugh:

I finally got to my mulch (from two weeks ago) :laugh: Once I was in the thick of it I decided that I was going to pull out the front part of the garden (too shady) and just revamp things. Holy smokes three hours later I have a plan, but I finally had to stop because I was pulling weedy stuff out, which always has the longest toughest roots:noway: and I wanted to keep too many things!! Most of the good stuff will get transplanted up at the lake house, but that is a job for another day. If we stay home tomorrow I might be able to finish the mulching but I think I will wait to see how I feel...lots of lifting and squats were done today!!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend and for those under the weather - hugs and feel better soon.
    :heart:
    Jen
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I am new here. I have tried everything to find this group to join. How do I join??

I just joined MFP a little over a week ago. Already my attitude has changed from feeling like this is a solitary journey to having so much support. But, I am 55, not 22 and my challenges have changed with age so I would like to be in close contact with women in my age range.

In advance, thanks!

You will do great. I am 53 and I can not do all the exercises I used to, but I am getting along. There is a great group here!
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hello....
    It's been a busy week. I am really feeling much better with my neck/shoulder injury. Spent two hours gardening today and then my husband and I went to a Village stroll in our little neighborhood. It's a different way to get my exercise in...it felt good, like I really did a lot of work! I have menus planned and feel good about choices today. Yesterday we went to the outlets shopping. I had to get a dress because my husband is getting an award for work and we need to go to a dinner in a couple of weeks. I haven't been able to shop in these sizes in a long time...and I found two dresses I really like. That shopping trip seemed to help me be motivated even more! Yesterday, we also picked out a setting to remount my mom's diamond. My mom died 16 years ago and it really was so hard for me to deal with....her illness and death really rocked my core. She was so adament about me having her diamond ring during her illness. I have had her diamond on my ring holder all this time and finally I decided that I needed to reset it so that I could wear it every day. It really feels like a big step. I don't know why it took me so long to do this but it feels right now.

Jane...I am so sorry about your cat. Please know that I am sending you positive thoughts.

Welcome to all the newcomers....this is a great place!

Have a good evening,
    Sally
  • Hazelandmaddy
    Options
    I would love to join your group! I'm 50, a grandma of 2 and I've read many of your posts and I believe that you have inspired me and would continue to do so!
    Would some of you please add me as a friend? I need support and I'll do my best to give it. Thank you!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Jellyfishjen, my cat, Bernie, hides when people come to the house. We’ve had people stay with us for the weekend and never see him, but when it’s just family he loves to sit on our laps and he always sleeps with us.

:flowerforyou: Amanda, I’m glad you’re doing a little better…..during times of stress and sadness, it’s good to get plenty of nourishment, the cheese and almonds sound perfect.

:cry: SuzyQ, I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had such a rough time. I hope the doctor’s find a solution soon.

:flowerforyou: Celticmuse, welcome…….I checked out NROLFW from the library and learned a lot from it and made huge changes in my weight training routine…..I reached my goal weight over a year ago and a few pounds have crept back which may be muscle, but I want to stay forever vigilant.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, best wishes on your restart…..you do an amazing job with all the challenges you have.

:flowerforyou: Sherry, I love my pedometer…..it challenges me to walk a lot more.

:bigsmile: Katiejarr, congrats on the big changes you made.

:bigsmile: Robin, have a great trip.

:sad: :sad: :sad: Jane, I am so sorry about your cat….it is so hard to lose a pet……I know he will stay in your heart forever.

:bigsmile: Nancy, it sounds like your recovery is moving along well…..I took your advice and shortened my weight training routine and finished in less time even with slightly longer breaks between sets. I had Jake check to make sure my body was flat while doing the plank so I wouldn’t be wasting time doing it wrong…..I left the chair in the middle of the living room so I can do a few extra sets of push-ups later.

:bigsmile: Jen, I ordered “Weight Training Made Easy” from paperback book swap. It sounds like a great addition to my program.

:bigsmile: Hazelandmaddy, you have joined the group just by posting. Check in with us every day and read the posts and share back and soon you will feel like part of the family and get the support and encouragement you need.

:bigsmile: Got up early, walked the dogs, ate breakfast, walked the dogs again, went to an early morning meeting, walked the dogs again, had a conversation about whether we could afford to buy a newer vehicle, got our new glasses, went to Costco, ate lunch (chicken and little potatoes and salad), walked the dogs, worked in the yard, walked with Jake around the neighborhood, did weight training, made post workout shake, and now we’re watching TV with the dogs…..life doesn’t get any better than this.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington state where it has been sort of sunny all day and almost 60 degrees.
    My life today is so great today it should have background music (like “I Made it Through the Rain” sung by Barry Manilow)
    April goals:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning
    * Yoga three days a week
    *100 lunges a day
    *strength training three days a week
    *17,000 steps a day

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    katie - you said your personal trainer gave you info about intervals. Share it, please, I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for something new

Someone mentioned about not being able to sleep. Yup, I was up at 5:00 this morning, just couldn't sleep. I got dressed, read "Time" magazine, had breakfast, now off to yoga then some food shopping (for the things on sale, this store is on my way home). I hate it when stores have this "one day" sale, but fortunately, this store is on my way home from yoga. I won't go out of my way just for one item.

Jerri - welcome and congrats on the retirement and grandmotherhood! You'll get lost of support here, that's for sure.

Viv - didn't you know that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, and if that line goes thru a puddle...oh well. Also, you were unaware that puddles were made for one thing and one thing only....to be stepped in????? Guess we learn something new all the time....lol Glad Tara is there to teach you :)

I made the banana spice cake for Ken and then the bowling alley and the Y. This is the first time I made vanilla icing from scratch. Just like fudge, when the recipe calls for 1 lb of sugar, you need to really use 2 lbs. In all, it has good flavor.

Did an hour of yoga today. Tomorrow I'm thinking I'll do some Wii training games.

Don't know what happened last night, but suddenly I had such a terrible cramp. I had a few more cramps and then it all was over, but I was so tired! In a way, I sympathize with you, Suz. I'm lucky, tho, it isn't constant. I can barely fathom it being constant.

celticmuse - welcome! and congrats on being so close to your goal. It's hard around now, isn't it? I swear in some ways it's easier to take the weight off than it is to keep it off.

katie - what wonderful news! All good things come to those who wait, and you've waited. You know, the first time I tried interval training, I thought I was about to die! Now I can go for an hour. How did you do it (treadmill, elliptical, body weight, etc?)?

Jane - so sorry about the cat. It's probably even harder on us.

Dyan (what a neat spelling!) - you joined by posting. Stop by often. I very seldom ever go to any of the other threads, I like being with others who know what I am going thru since they either have or will be going thru it.

Nancy - I hear ya about men and their cooking/eating habits when we're not around. Vince's idea of three square meals (if I left it to him) would be McD's for breakfast, BK for lunch, and KFC for dinner. Oh, he'd vary his menu by going to other fast food places....lol

Sally - it's good that you took time and are now ready to wear you mom's diamond. My father always used to wear this diamond pinkey ring. When he died, I had the diamond removed from the ring (natchurally, I can't wear a man's ring) and had it put on a necklace. I wear it many times, it helps remind me of all the good times I had with him. The same thing will happen to you.

Welcome hazelandmaddie!

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • KathyRN2000
    KathyRN2000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Women age 50+ looks like it may be a nice fit for me. Just joined MFP and looking for inspiration in my desire to improve my health and loose the many unwanted pounds I have gained. Looking forward to reading posts to help with my journey.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Amanda, you are brilliant, the answer IS umlauts! :drinker: How did you do that?
    I've been doing crosswords since I was a young girl and just have a knack for it. DH and I used to do the Telegraph crossword - each with our own paper and he used to get irritated that I would finish it in about 15 mins. Eventually he got so frustrated that he stopped buying the Telegraph and buys the Independent now - bad loser!

The sun is shining here at present, although it's supposed to rain again this afternoon - in fact we've been promised rain for the rest of the month.

I bought myself some new bras a couple of weeks ago and this morning I put one of them on and it felt like I was putting on a jumper! My boobs have shrunk so rapidly in the last fortnight. To be honest, I don't mind at all. I've been well endowed for so many years (pre weight loss my bra size was always 50-something and at least a g cup - definitely zaftig!), it is wonderful not to have to suffer the pain that their heftiness caused. It is also great to be able to lay on my back and be able to put my feet by my ears - not so much cushioning in the way!

Oxfam are holding a 'Big bra amnesty' project at the moment, so all my old bras are getting dropped off there today. I had kept one that I swear could have been turned into a two bedroom hammock!

Thanks for all the support (and this time I'm NOT talking bras!) that you ladies have given me. It really does make a difference and I take a little bit from you all.

Got to go and collect my dad from church, so I'd better hop to it.

Love to you all.
    Amanda x
  • dlpappas
    dlpappas Posts: 14
    Options
    Happy Sunday, all.

It’s amazing to see that this month’s posting is up to 19 pages! I’ve been reading everyone’s entries but haven’t gotten to comment.

I’m glad all of the new people found this great group of ladies. They’re very welcoming, motivating and encouraging. Enjoy!

Djhobs - I know how you feel about the car club meeting. We have 3 classic cars and go to area cruise nights/car shows (the season is just starting here). Fortunately, there are a lot of couples and we’ve made a lot of good friends. It’s more of a social outing for the wives while the guys check out each others cars.

Ladies who are at plateaus – the advice about changing up (Fitz and others) what you’re doing, eating more (jb and others), really works. I had been staying below my calorie goal and a couple of times below the minimum (even though MFP “yells” at you for that) with a little success. After reading that advice, I added a different exercise to my routine, and went over my calorie goal a couple of times. While I’ve only lost 4.5 lbs (in the month since I’ve been on MFP), the weight really started to come of after I made those changes.

Jane, you are doing SO well! You are amazing, dear friend. It’s been a struggle for you with your knee repair, but you’re making great progress. You, Barbie, Exermom and many others have made fantastic improvements in your lives and are so motivating for all of us. So sorry about Milo. Losing a pet is so hard, and losing one who was so young is even harder. Hugs to you, Jane.

Suz, I hope the doctor finds out what’s wrong and you’re feeling better soon.

Nancy, hope your foot improves daily!

Pigote – you’re made fantastic progress since you started on 3/1 – congrats! It isn’t just you – weight loss is top-of-mind for me too and my poor husband has to listen to it all the time! I think, though, this is the most motivated I’ve ever been about weight loss and I think it’s because of this amazing group of people at MFP!

Speaking of this amazing group of people, when I first joined MFP I posted a picture of flowers as I was too embarrassed to post one of myself. Well, now I have. I hate how I look in photos (and can’t believe it’s me – how’s that for denial), barely smile for the camera because I have a jack-o-lantern face, and usually destroy any photos of myself. Getting to know all of you has given me the courage to add a photo of myself. Thanks!

There are so many posts to comment on but I won’t go on forever. Good luck to everyone on your weight loss journeys. Several people have medical issues and I wish each of you a speedy recovery. Been through things like that and know what it takes – time, determination and fortitude. You’ll get there and feel amazing in no time!

Have a wonderful day, get moving, and drink up!
    Diane
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday. Welcome to all the new faces. These ladies are great listeners and motivators. Today going to my mom's with my kids so Great Grandma can see Trevor and Paisley. Went to the store yesterday got food for lunches next week, and will make refrigerator oatmeal tonite. Also on that website she now has an oatmeal refrigerator smoothie I may try. Was happy to see the scale dropped 2 of lbs I showed after that conference food. Tried to get more water in yesterday and wasn't hungry so my calories were way under goal yesterday.

While in AZ flipping channels, came across sit and be fit and some lady on another program who had to be from the 80"s big hair and 80's work out. She was working arms which is what I am working now, not liking those bat wings. So time to get more strength in, looking for weights now but seems the local stores are out of anything 5lbs and under may have to makeshift something until I find what I want.

Drink up today ladies and enjoy your day
    Sherry
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    The new profile picture is Mom (94) and Anna (17) taken last night before the Prom. I tried to put the picture in the reply, but couldn't figure it out.

Happy Sunday all!

Jeannie
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    :happy: Happy Sunday to all of you ! I am at work again to day, and i really hate working on Sunday, but I work at a childern's hospital and some one has to do it. I miss going to Church with my Husband and wonder what they will be singing and what they will be preaching abount :ohwell:

Well I better get back to work just wanted to say Hello! Hope you all are having a wonderful day!:bigsmile:
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday to all! I weighed in this morning and nothing! I've lost the same five pounds twice in the past 45 days. Last week I changed up my calories and this week I'm starting the 30 day shred and Bob Harper kettlebell workout. Maybe changing up the exercise will help. Its frustrating but I'm keeping at it!.
  • jml7403
    jml7403 Posts: 11
    Options
    Glad to find this forum! My goal is to lose 30 more pounds by January 1st-my 60th birthday! :wink:
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning Lovely Ladies :heart: :heart:

:smile: Michelle I usually do 30 minutes on the elliptical at a level 3, so I was asking the Personal Trainer at my Community Gym about my plateau and she suggested that instead of staying at that same level for 30 minutes, to do a minute at level 3 then a min at either a higher level or just go faster, whatever got my hear pumping to where I was felling fatigued for a minute, then back to a much slower pace for a minute (like a cool down) then back up to a fast pace again for a minute then slow again for a minute...and on and on ...well I did this for 18 minutes and I was EXHAUSTED :explode: so I did the rest of my 30 mins at my regular pace at level 4...she also said NOT to do this everyday...I go to Yoga Tues and Thurs and the Gym Mon Wed and Fri so I will try again on Mon and see if I can last the whole 30 min.

I also typically go in an empty stomach because I do yoga on an empty stomach and she said to eat an apple before doing this because I need a bit of fuel before this kind of work out AND she also said to eat a hearty breakfast within 20 mins of this workout...also after I do this I do weight training with free weights...then I go home and have breakfast.

She also suggested I add a handful of nuts to my diet, so I add chopped raw almonds to my oatmeal in the am.

The other thing she said was to eat grains in the daytime and not at dinner :bigsmile: :bigsmile: which I always eat brown rice at dinner...who knew!!! She said it would be better to eat grains during the day and let them process all day instead of at night then go to bed...so Im doing that now too :smile:

I think that was all the suggestions she gave me :blushing: :blushing:

Have a great day :love: :love:
  • milli51
    milli51 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i would love to join your group. i need all the support i can get.
  • watchmelose2
    watchmelose2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well April is half over But I am 51 and looking for support! Looks like a good place to start! I left for a while because of a couple of deaths in the family and when I came back I had lost most of my friends! But gained back several pounds! Working hard to get it off!:drinker:

My goals are to try and lose 5lbs by the end of April
    Walk 1 hour or more every day
    Ride my bike atleast 3 times a week
    exercise with Jillian Micheals every morning 20min.5369216.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    keep under on my calories!
  • katiejarr
    Options
    Amanda, you are brilliant, the answer IS umlauts! :drinker: How did you do that?
    I've been doing crosswords since I was a young girl and just have a knack for it. DH and I used to do the Telegraph crossword - each with our own paper and he used to get irritated that I would finish it in about 15 mins. Eventually he got so frustrated that he stopped buying the Telegraph and buys the Independent now - bad loser!

The sun is shining here at present, although it's supposed to rain again this afternoon - in fact we've been promised rain for the rest of the month.

I bought myself some new bras a couple of weeks ago and this morning I put one of them on and it felt like I was putting on a jumper! My boobs have shrunk so rapidly in the last fortnight. To be honest, I don't mind at all. I've been well endowed for so many years (pre weight loss my bra size was always 50-something and at least a g cup - definitely zaftig!), it is wonderful not to have to suffer the pain that their heftiness caused. It is also great to be able to lay on my back and be able to put my feet by my ears - not so much cushioning in the way!

Oxfam are holding a 'Big bra amnesty' project at the moment, so all my old bras are getting dropped off there today. I had kept one that I swear could have been turned into a two bedroom hammock!

Thanks for all the support (and this time I'm NOT talking bras!) that you ladies have given me. It really does make a difference and I take a little bit from you all.

Got to go and collect my dad from church, so I'd better hop to it.

Love to you all.
    Amanda x

Amanda
    I love your posts! You make me laugh! I am one of the well endowed women! Unfortunately although Ive lost 30 pounds I think Ive only lost about 1/4 pound in my boobs!!!!! But I still have 30 more to go so hopefully I will loose more there!!!!

But I do love to read you're posts :laugh: :laugh:

Kat:blushing:
  • sdarst
    sdarst Posts: 3
    Options
    Ive just started. Im 59 and have lost 6 lbs, have 50 to go! I really need motivation. I am at the I'm so hungry for a cheeseburger stage. I am staying true to my fitness plan, but it is not a habit yet.
  • katiejarr
    Options
    Ive just started. Im 59 and have lost 6 lbs, have 50 to go! I really need motivation. I am at the I'm so hungry for a cheeseburger stage. I am staying true to my fitness plan, but it is not a habit yet.

Welcome sdarstI It will become habit, just give it time :glasses: Cheeseburgers were my absolute favorite food along with a big side of fries and now I really could not eat a whole cheeseburger and fries :noway: my stomach and appetite has shrunk :smile: so hang in there and use this group for support! I think that I mainly use this group really and my diary to log my food and exercise :glasses:

I am sooooo happy to have found this group :love: You will love the support here :heart: :heart: