WALKING!: It's great excercise NOT wussy excercise!

Options

Replies

• Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I walk everywhere. And I've just joined a gym so I'll be walking there too. :)
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have lost 63 pounds in less than a year and really the ONLY excercise I have done is walking. Last summer I religiously walked over 2 miles a night. That helped those pounds come off. Now that I am significantly smaller, I have started this walk to run program which you do bursts of running in the middle of your walking. This helps burn many more calories. I think walking is THE best form of exercise. You burn fat, build up endurance, and don't damage your knees in the process.
  • tasteoheavn
    tasteoheavn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday. Its my main form of exercise since I can no longer run (need knee and ankle surgery) but I can walk. I've lost 13 pounds and feel better everyday.
  • cookierinthia
    cookierinthia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    LOL! I completely agree! I detest running! There isn't a negative adjective strong enough to describe how I feel about running. I'm going to start walking more.
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main form of exercise. So easy to grab the sneakers and go, I also used LS DVD's when the weather or schedule wouldn't permit.
    I used to dread walking up the hills in my neighborhood...now I can't wait to get to them and show them whose boss ; )
    I am up to 5 miles when I have the time, usual day around 3 miles.
    I have started some light weights and resistance bands to tone up the jiggly areas, but love my walks and would never give them up!
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had my first child in April 2007. I was 200 pounds when I got pregnant and 237 when I gave birth to him. He was my inspiration to take my life back and set a good example for my child. I was always active growing up and never had a weight problem. Then I got to college and slowly let myself go. I started college weighing 130 pounds and was 188 by the time I graduated. A few years after that I reached my peak of 220. I managed to "slim down" to 200 before I got pregnant with my first child. Anyway, after he was born I had a LONG way to go. The 37 pounds of pregnancy weight came off very easily in 3 months. That's when the real work began for me. I started tracking what I ate and walking. (I was so incredibly out of shape for being sedentary for so long that this was all I felt I could do at the time). Walking is the perfect exercise for someone that has just had a baby. Just pop the kiddo in a stroller and away you go! This is literally all I did for exercise and by my son's first birthday in April 2008 I was down to 138. After I reached my goal weight I slowly fell off the exercise wagon. I still watched what I ate but I got out of my walking routine. Fast forward a couple of years and I had put on about 8 pounds. I got pregnant with my second child weighing in at 146. I joined a gym because I wanted to get healthy again and not put on too much weight. I started out by walking on the treadmill, them moved onto the elliptical and some very light weights. I am glad I got back into exercising but I still managed to gain 47 pounds! My second child was born in August of 2010. The weight did not come off as easily the second time around. I told myself that I would get through the holidays and get really serious about losing the last of my pregnancy weight when the new year started. In January of 2011 I had 15 pounds of pregnancy weight to lose to get down to 146. I stumbled upon a "boot camp" at my local gym and figured that that should do the trick! I was hooked after the first class. It was the most physically challenging thing I had ever done and I loved the feeling! My boot camp instructor was talking about how walking is the most underrated exercise there is. He encouraged us to walk at least a mile every day in addition to our regular work-out. I have ended up losing 32 pounds since I started boot camp and I still live by his mantra of walking as much as you possibly can. This boot camp is the first thing I have found that I didn't burn out on after a month. So in short, yes walking is a great form of exercise and in my case was a great way to get me passionate about fitness and transform my life!
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 lbs and my primary exercise is walking. I've gone down 3-4 pants sizes and lost almost 20 inches!!! It works. People are always telling me I need to change it up--sometimes I add weights or increase distance/times.
    :flowerforyou:
  • sweets2001
    sweets2001 Posts: 106
    Options
    I absolutely love walking and it's my main form of exercise! Back when I first started walking, way before joining MFP it was a slow go but then slowly worked on going longer distances. Since I know what I can do try to shave off time off the amount of miles I walk. I like to switch it up, some days walker longer and other days a bit less. In an average week I can easily log a marathon worth of walking if not more.
  • cmbarnes
    cmbarnes Posts: 46
    Options
    BUMP
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Back in 2010 I had a weekly routine of walking the mall 4-5 times a week, changing speeds depending on the music I listened to. According to the scale I was using, within 6-8 months I had lost 80lbs and I could see a difference because I had dropped a shirt size and my pants didn't feel as tight. Granted by the time I had lost this I was practically jogging around the mall twice in 20 minutes. Unfortunately I was also on a doctor-prescribed diet (aka a sheet my physician gave me saying what foods I couldn't have, foods I NEEDED to eat, but nothing about calories or anything else) and ended up borderline anemic from it and had to gain the weight back just to be okay again.

When I first joined here all I was doing was walking because I didn't have a gym membership, was (and still am) too big to get on the floor and do crunches and push ups and all that stuff and didn't have room in the house for moving with a workout video. I lost a little over 20lbs just on that, then joined the Y where I do a lot of the treadmill and then other things, but I still do a lot of walking for exercise because it's really the easiest thing you can do. You can power walk and talk with a friend, walk around the neighborhood and enjoy the day (I sometimes find coins left in the street, so it's a good way to fill my piggy bank!) or just stroll around wherever and not have to think about it.
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Last year I lost 11 lbs in 2 months by simply walking 40 minutes a day 4x/week during my lunch break. I did not belong to a gym at the time.

Now, I walk 3x/week and do zumba once or twice, and the progress is the same so far, one month in.

I do zumba because it's fun, but the HUGE cal burn on MFP versus the moderate one for walking thus far has not made a difference in my progress. I love to walk!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I love walking too!! Did almost 9 miles on Saturday and probably another 5 or so on Sunday and, I think, 3 today...was a bit lazy :blushing:
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    maybe its just me but i dont think walking burns too many calories. but i agree everyone needs to start some where.

It depends on how must effort you're putting into it. If you're just going for a casual stroll for 30 minutes you won't burn as many calories as you would if you were power walking at 4.5+mph pumping your arms wearing 1lb wrist weights.

I burn more calories, according to my HRM, power walking than I do running at 6.5mph. It's all about where your heart rate falls.

Oh, and I started out doing only walking the first 8 months of getting back into shape and lost 63 pounds. Then I started gradually running and now run several times a week.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I love walking too!! Did almost 9 miles on Saturday and probably another 5 or so on Sunday and, I think, 3 today...was a bit lazy :blushing:

Slacker :laugh: :tongue:
  • williamsge
    williamsge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump :-)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    walking is great - but cardio only is not the best way towards long term weight loss and health. when you lose weight you also lose a ton of muscle mass which is why strength training is so important. I did START with just walking, or bike riding, but now I strength train, run, do stairclimber & elliptical/arc trainer, etc. To build muscle mass you need strength training. The other thing is, IF you're doing a lot of cardio, you need to change up pace/terrain/etc -- your body adjusts to what you do to it rather quickly, which means you don't burn calories as efficiently as you think you are. :)
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to go for walks. I walk my dogs everyday. I started it about a year ago when my vet told me that both of my dogs needed to shed some pounds. I was not much for exercise back then, but made the decision that I would walk them everyday... For them. Back then, I was unable to do anything for myself, but for them I could do it.

Now, a year later, I have lost some serious weight (although I now do much more than just walk) and both of my dogs are fit! We walk about 2 1/2 miles everyday.

It has become my time to reflect on my day as we stroll the trails and streets in my neighborhood. It is also a great bonding time between my dogs and I.

I hope that I will always have the ability to walk, even in my elder years.
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Walking has helped me lose 10 lbs, but my neighbor, who I walk with, only walks, and has lost 19 lbs!!! So proud of her:flowerforyou:
  • AEL79
    AEL79 Posts: 10
    Options
    Amen :)
  • JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I walk 5-7 miles a day, plus bike 9, In November 2011 i was 262 lbs, now I am 240....success...I think so