WALKING!: It's great excercise NOT wussy excercise!

Options

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I walk to class nearly every day (if I'm feeling lazy I'll take the shuttle.) and I love it!

Also, I burn more calories because I carry a 20-pound bookbag and I go uphill most of the way.
  • amandasweers
    Options
    I love walking, Its about the only thing i have time to do in my busy college life. I walk to and from school and placement instead of busing. :)
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Walking really did save my life, and no one can tell me any different.

I started at 412 pounds, obviously I didn't wanna go to the gym, I doubted the machines would even support me, let alone the self consciousness that I have yet to get rid off. So I walked. I walked around the block once, then twice, than tried to beat my score and walked around it as fast as I could in 30 min.

Now I'm at 308 and gained the courage to join a gym. But, I still walk around my block at least once a week as fast as I can for 30 min. It's my time to clean out my lungs and be alone in my head to sort out whatever is going on.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    maybe its just me but i dont think walking burns too many calories. but i agree everyone needs to start some where.

It may not burn as many calories as other forms of exercise, but it burns a LOT more calories than NOT exercising at all.
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    maybe its just me but i dont think walking burns too many calories. but i agree everyone needs to start some where.

maybe not as many as th eliptical or if you can run for 30 straight min. But still a decent burn.
    I am 158 and doing 70 min of Kettlebells I burn about 400, doin insanity for 50 min I burn 420 and walking pushing my baby in his stroller for 65 min I burn 400-430!

So It can be a compareable burn to home exercises and insanity and KB are NO joke! & If you have a fussy baby dor sure and awsome workout! If my baby wakes up and I cant finish a workout dvd I just strap him in a walk my errands! Knocking 2 things out at once! :)
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I walk all the time. It's not just good for my body, but good for my mind. My daily goal is 10,000 steps a day. I am beginning a virtual walk from South Carolina to Iowa to meet up with one a MFP buddy who is a walker.
  • Bubbles99207
    Bubbles99207 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I started walking on my treadmill and I couldnt even do 10minutes at first! Now I am running at about 4.5 MPH for 5 minutes and then slow down. Walking is a great way to burn calories also in the summer time I was surprised how many calories you burn by just doing yardwork.. I would love to find a Pal on this ste - so that we can encourage each other. I have fallen of the track this last week and I am trying hard to get back on it.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Walking was my primary form of exercise for months! I started off doing 1 to 2 miles and built myself up. It helped me to build endurance, help me to loss inches, and did a little toning of my legs. As of today I still walk, but now I add running in as well I have walked/run up to 10 miles at one time before! It is a great form of exercise and it really really does work!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    it's been my main exercise too ... and my 13 year old husky, Kita, has benefited from it too since she is my walking partner.
    Both her and i have gone from getting winded from just 2 blocks, to nice long walks at a lovely brisk pace easily.

Unfortunately i think she is starting to feel her age a little more now, our 30 min walk yesterday sure seemed to take more out of her than usual.
    With a younger walking partner i would be out there for an hour or more a day walking, as i love it, though i live in a city, i love walking just to look at the houses, yards etc.
    Gone are the days of me choosing to drive through neighbourhoods looking at houses.. now i want to get out and walk!
    But being in the city i dont feel comfortable walking alone, so i do still limit my walks to 40 mins max.
    At times i have even added in a little jogging during the walk, which is totally NOT what anyone would expect from me, as i have never been able to run in any form ever.... now i find myself wanting to!
    If only my knees would cooperate *L*
    But i am determined!.. something i never thought i would want to do.. i WILL do!
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I love this!

My highest weight was 220 pounds. I started logging my food and walking once or twice a day (3 miles most days, 1 miles if I was being lazy). Walking was pretty much my only exercise, since I don't have the money for a gym or the attention span needed to complete workout videos (I get bored of them so fast!). With changes in diet (mostly healthy food, calorie counting) and walking, I lost 100 pounds in a year.

Walking is great. Just because it doesn't make you sweat or tire you out, doesn't mean it isn't burning those calories!
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I love walking and walking is part of my cardio burn now. I started out walking for 1 mile daily for a month then I went to an app on my phone C5K and it was a walk/jog system. Once I got that system down I incorporated into my own system. I have lost 20lbs doing the walking and jogging routine. I increased my walking from 20 minutes to 60 minutes and now I walk and jog 5K on a regular. A lot of people sleep on walking but you can burn just as much calories walking as some taking an aerobics class. I love it to this day it also helps me clear my mind when I'm walking from a stressful days work. Now I use the Nike + GPS which monitors how far I walk and how much longer I have to go. Its an awesome app for walking.
  • millikenhomeschool
    Options
    Hi. I love to walk. I began by walking outside on trails with friends or by myself. When the cooler weather of fall hit, I bought a Leslie Sansone video. I enjoyed that as well. I also use the treadmill quite a lot. That gets boring, but I do it anyhow when I have to. But, then I crank up the music. I have now begun the 30dayshred video. I like the variety. A year ago, I attended a bootcamp class. Now that was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the instructors moved on to other jobs and I can't really afford it right now anyhow.
  • ckneasel
    ckneasel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    my main cardio exercise is walking on an incline, BUT you cannot beat the benefits of a resistance training program coupled WITH walking...

if you are not participating in a resistance traning program, you will likely lose some lean body mass along with fat during your weight loss journey...

Studies have shown that participants that were on a hypocaloric diet (800 cals) lost more lean muscle tissue when only doing cardio vs the group that did cardio and weight training...
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of walking in the summer because I love to be in the warmth and sunshine. I go to the gym or use my wii or kinect in the fall through spring as I live in Oregon and it rains all the time here during those months. I love walking I just don't like walking when it's raining and cold. I go for walks everytime the sun is out which this time a year is once a month lol
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I miss my walks, but it's too hot now, and there is pollen all over everything. I'm going to have to go visit the gym I'm paying for to use their treadmills and AC but it's just not the same. :sad:
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have a desk over my treadmill and walk 3-4 hours a day most days. Very, very slowly so I can type and concentrate on my work but the walking is awesome!
  • mauibound2
    mauibound2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi I started MFP in January and most of my exercise is purely walking I started slow about 1/2 mile now I am up to almost 4 miles a day. It is working for me so I say get out and start walking you will feel better and see the weight come off :)
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Because of my RA and OA I started MFP with walking as my primary exercise. It still is. I have since added some strength training and elliptical but walking is still my mainstay. Outdoors in the summer, treadmill when the weather sucks. Have a little TV above my treadmill in the laundry room. Walking trimmed my hips, thighs and toned my tummy and butt! My main outdoor route has hills going up and down the whole way. I get my water bottle, old MP3 player and keep my cell phone handy and I am gone. A great way to relax, scream, pray, sing or just jam to tunes. It is my 'me time'.
  • derekmitchell
    Options
    I don't know if I qualify. I started in July with walking as the aerobic exercise and supplemented with some weight training. I have bad knees as a legacy of a youth playing basketball on a concrete floor. I have lost about 36 pounds so far and i have about 32 more to go.