WALKING!: It's great excercise NOT wussy excercise!

Options

Replies

• marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    maybe its just me but i dont think walking burns too many calories. but i agree everyone needs to start some where.

It depends on how must effort you're putting into it. If you're just going for a casual stroll for 30 minutes you won't burn as many calories as you would if you were power walking at 4.5+mph pumping your arms wearing 1lb wrist weights.

I burn more calories, according to my HRM, power walking than I do running at 6.5mph. It's all about where your heart rate falls.

Oh, and I started out doing only walking the first 8 months of getting back into shape and lost 63 pounds. Then I started gradually running and now run several times a week.

maybe you're right, i just feel like if you are healthy enough you should be investing your work out time more wisely by doing exercises that really challenge you. i dont feel that walking is a challenge.

Then maybe you're doing it wrong. :-)

With a weighted pack, moving quickly and climbing steep hills, walking is as challenging (per my heart rate monitor, my Body Media Fit and my perceived exertion) as doing an hour of step aerobics or cardio drills. One hour of walking (the way I do it) burns more calories than P90X: Plyo, Cardio X or Kenpo. Walking (for me) also burns more calories than an hour of circuit training.
    i really find it hard to believe that an hour of walking burns more than an hour of P90 or cardio. sorry. I do crossfit and class is usually 45 mins a day and we work so hard we almost puke, i find it REALLY hard to believe walking burns more than this.
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    I started out walking and lost 30 lbs prior to coming to MFP... I still walk EVERY day... It truly is GREAT exercise, I didn't stop with the walking though.. That was just the beginning, since then i've progressed to working out several times a week... But we all have to start somewhere!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    BONUS: walking and my at-home regimen combined with my gym trips never make me feel like I'm going to puke. All while effectively helping me lose 63 pounds (so far) and about 55 inches. :) Never puking or even close. No no no.
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I walked off 47lbs before getting pregnant with my first baby - and then walked off all my baby weight plus an extra 5lbs after my first baby! Baby #2 is now 8 months old and the weather is turning warmer... time to walk off the baby weight again!

Same here..
  • AMaro215
    AMaro215 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    i really find it hard to believe that an hour of walking burns more than an hour of P90 or cardio. sorry. I do crossfit and class is usually 45 mins a day and we work so hard we almost puke, i find it REALLY hard to believe walking burns more than this.

Well, I didn't compare walking to Crossfit, because I don't do Crossfit or even know anything about it. I have done P90X, and I am saying my walking workouts burn more calories - my heart rate is higher, I feel like I've worked harder and my Body Media Fit shows a higher rate of calorie burn.

I'm just saying for me, with the pack I carry, with the terrain I cover, with the elevation I climb and with the pace I keep - walking is pretty freaking challenging.

I'm not saying it's the same for you.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I started at 330lbs, with limited funds and no self confidence making the gym a big no no. Walking was my primary exercise in the first few months, I found a route I liked and did it as often as I could. I had to start adding extra bits after a while, as my pace increased, so that I could still walk for the same time.

I also bought an exercise (stationary) bike, which I used every day. Started at 10 mins per day, moved up to 11 mins on wk 2, 12 mins wk 3 and so on, but it took a while to build that up, whereas I could already walk for an hour plus at a time.

I've now started C25K, and swimming, but I still like to get in a nice walk at the weekends.
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i started this journey at 208-210 pounds. In the beginning my main form of exercise was walking. I walked 4+ miles several days a week and this worked for me! Not only for my physical health but for my mental health as well. I since then incorporated several Jillian dvds. I enjoy walking and i DO burn calories from walking. Using my hrm there are some days that i walk and can burn 900+ calories from one work out walk. I now am 134 pounds and only a few pounds away from my goal and continue to incorporate walking into my daily routine along with my dvds and other at home workouts.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Sooooo much awesome feedback :)

And much of it from very sexy fit people!

the reson for starting this topic today was actually for all those out there just looking where to start, who have no self-esteem & don't believe they can do it! When I was 260 i was told to walk but didn't believe it would do anything for me.... figured I had to join the marathon club or buy a rowing machine.

I wanted to show you that you burn many calories walking & WILL get great results. Sure maybe zumba & spin class will burn more calories per hour...but that doesn't make a lick of difference if you would NEVER do either.

I also love how many of you have explained how it clears your head & puts you in a better mood too! This is one of the biggest reasons I really try to get out there. Sure I can work-out on the eliptical but even if I burn twice the calories i don't feel half as good as I did in the sunshine & fresh air in my face :)
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    BONUS: walking and my at-home regimen combined with my gym trips never make me feel like I'm going to puke. All while effectively helping me lose 63 pounds (so far) and about 55 inches. :) Never puking or even close. No no no.

we feel sick some times because we do out work out outdoors and really push ourselves. you should try a crossfit class, i bet you would really like it. we are like a little family because you work out with the same group every day. it is very motivating.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    we feel sick some times because we do out work out outdoors and really push ourselves. you should try a crossfit class, i bet you would really like it. we are like a little family because you work out with the same group every day. it is very motivating.

I'm glad it works for you. Personally I have no interest in a class that makes me feel like puking.

It's like the thing I see people posting about called "Insanity." Whoever came up with that name was marketing to someone other than me. Why on earth would I voluntarily do something that is insane?

Ain't the varieties of human experience great?
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it works for you. Personally I have no interest in a class that makes me feel like puking.

It's like the thing I see people posting about called "Insanity." Whoever came up with that name was marketing to someone other than me. Why on earth would I voluntarily do something that is insane?

Ain't the varieties of human experience great?

I would pass on crossfit as well. I can get the puking feeling pretty easy if I eat chicken salad right before a run. In fact, I more than feel it..... so no, not thinking I'd enjoy something that made feel that way all the time.
  • slimmingdownsteph
    slimmingdownsteph Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    maybe its just me but i dont think walking burns too many calories. but i agree everyone needs to start some where.

Maybe not REALLY slow walking but after time you can build up and go faster and faster, which burns more calories (:
    Starting off walking, speed walking, jogging, and then running is better for you anyways. Your joints build up stamina.
  • Imakeboys6
    Imakeboys6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My friend's mother just lost over 100lbs walking, this past year alone. She is in her early 60s. If she can do it anyone can. She still has a ways to go but 100lbs is what I call a success!
  • terrirz
    terrirz Posts: 53
    Options
    walking is my only form of excersize for now and has helped me loose 26 pounds so far since mid feb.!! I leash up my beagle, we go to the park, my kids and my hubby sometimes come along..its great!! With having two torn menicus's walking is about the only excercize (along with a stationary bike) that I am allowed by my phyiscal therapist to do at this time, Its working so I dont plan on changing it up anytime soon..:)
  • terrirz
    terrirz Posts: 53
    Options
    that is awesome and inspiring!! Meant to quote the post about the 100 pound lose from wallking..:huh:
  • ewells2420
    Options
    Too fat to run right now (338lbs) so I walk. Usually try for twice a day 20min each. I do this during my 2 15 min work breaks. Im lucky enough to work right next to an outside track that is just under 1 mile. Sometimes I would rather run but wouldnt make it very far and dont want to get too sweaty in my work clothes lol.

My main problem right now is having all this weight on me is killing my shins.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Too fat to run right now (338lbs) so I walk. Usually try for twice a day 20min each. I do this during my 2 15 min work breaks. Im lucky enough to work right next to an outside track that is just under 1 mile. Sometimes I would rather run but wouldnt make it very far and dont want to get too sweaty in my work clothes lol.

My main problem right now is having all this weight on me is killing my shins.

Awesome job ewells :) this is somethign I love to hear :) It will get better & easier & you will enjoy it more :)
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I use walking as my primary excersize because I simply don't have time in the day for anything else. Walking is great because it not only is cardio but I need to do it anyway to get to and from work which is 1.6 miles each way and to walk the dog - we do 1 mile each night.

I need to get to work - so why not walk - the bus takes just as long, and I need to walk the dog.

No excuse, and no need to find time in my busy life to do it.

It has worked. I have dropped 62 pounds on a 1,200–1,500 calorie per day diet over 3 months.
  • aray1107
    aray1107 Posts: 75
    Options
    I LOVE walking. I speed walk 30-60 minutes everyday. It's therapeutic to me- and relieves a lot of my built of stress. I just listen to my favorite songs on my Ipod and walk and really enjoy it, especially if I can be outside. :)

I think it's great for weight loss and anyone can do it- anywhere!