WALKING!: It's great excercise NOT wussy excercise!

Options

Replies

• frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    maybe its just me but i dont think walking burns too many calories. but i agree everyone needs to start some where.

I use my HRM when I walk, and I can easily get my HR up to the range of 75 to 85 % of my maximum-depending on how fast I'm going and whether I have one child or two. Sometimes if I only have one of my boys, I fill the extra seat with my 10# and 8# dumbbells just to push his weight even if he's not there. lol 75 to 85 % is the same effect I get on my elliptical or bike, so how it could not burn comparable calories? :)
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have always walked everywhere, but this year i have started power walking, trying to improve my pace and can walk for ages, i love walking in the sun with my music on and have just started my couch to 5k which is mostly walking to start, I love Walking !!!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    maybe its just me but i dont think walking burns too many calories. but i agree everyone needs to start some where.

It depends on how must effort you're putting into it. If you're just going for a casual stroll for 30 minutes you won't burn as many calories as you would if you were power walking at 4.5+mph pumping your arms wearing 1lb wrist weights.

I burn more calories, according to my HRM, power walking than I do running at 6.5mph. It's all about where your heart rate falls.

Oh, and I started out doing only walking the first 8 months of getting back into shape and lost 63 pounds. Then I started gradually running and now run several times a week.

maybe you're right, i just feel like if you are healthy enough you should be investing your work out time more wisely by doing exercises that really challenge you. i dont feel that walking is a challenge.
  • nancyv73
    nancyv73 Posts: 16
    Options
    During the nice weather, walking is my main exercise. I have noticed that it has increased my endurance and has helped my breathing. I have asthma and have been sick alot during my life due to my lungs. Because of my lungs, alot of exercise is to hard for me to breath. I walk a mile almost every day. It has helped so much.:happy:
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options

I use my HRM when I walk, and I can easily get my HR up to the range of 75 to 85 % of my maximum-depending on how fast I'm going and whether I have one child or two. Sometimes if I only have one of my boys, I fill the extra seat with my 10# and 8# dumbbells just to push his weight even if he's not there. lol 75 to 85 % is the same effect I get on my elliptical or bike, so how it could not burn comparable calories? :)

thats good for you. my walking heart rate is usually less than 150 and my heart rate while doing crossfit is usually 167 and higher. i just prefer a more challenging work out i suppose. dont get me wrong, i take a walk with my son and dogs every night, but i dont consider it my exercise for the day.
  • roballesteros
    Options
    I started walking in Sept 2010 and soon (around 2 months) began running, my body just naturally wanted to go faster. I have since run two half marathons and several 5Ks and 10Ks. I still love walking and do it regularly. I run at least 5 times a week and try to walk at least 3 miles at least once a week. I have also done P90X (I am on my second round of that) and Jillian Michaels but I always incorporate walking at least once a week. It is good for you!
  • arickim
    arickim Posts: 137
    Options
    Lost 9lbs walking and doing alittle more. Love walking!!!! You go and clear your mind, no worries, and you don't think about all the troubles going on in your life. I grew up in the counrty, so I walked all the time.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I love walking! One of the people who inspired my journey is a man in my neighborhood. He had a small stroke and was told he needed to diet and exercise. He is a friend of ours that we occasionally hang out with. I noticed him walking in the neighborhood and about six-nine months later I noticed a big change in his physique. He looks great!!! And I tell him every chance I get. He has also gotten a nice tan from his walks. I'm hoping I will too. I started out walking on a treadmill but now I walk in my neighborhood whenever the weather is nice. I got a dog back in August that needs to be walked so that helps me. Plus, now, my co-worker and I also go walking at a local park at lunch. So most days I get in a double walk. I'm down 11 lbs which might not sound like much but I wasn't really big to begin with.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Lost 9lbs walking and doing alittle more. Love walking!!!! You go and clear your mind, no worries, and you don't think about all the troubles going on in your life. I grew up in the counrty, so I walked all the time.

I agree. It's very therapeutic for me.
  • c3jaam
    c3jaam Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have joint problems that restrict me from running. I bought a treadmill in January to walk on, since I wasn't going to go out in inclement weather. I have lost 13 pounds so far, and that is a big part of it.
    Started out at about 20 minutes a few times a week, and worked up. I now average 45-60 minutes 4 times per week. About 300-400 calories burned.
    Getting better at being able to increase speed and incline.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that has a hard time walking? My shins and calves hurt like a b*tch! I can to the elliptical for 30 mins.. but the treadmill kills my legs!! :'[
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options

thats good for you. my walking heart rate is usually less than 150 and my heart rate while doing crossfit is usually 167 and higher. i just prefer a more challenging work out i suppose. dont get me wrong, i take a walk with my son and dogs every night, but i dont consider it my exercise for the day.

Just because I walk 3-5 miles a day, 4 days a week or so doesn't mean I don't like a challenging workout. I go to the gym and lift heavy; I do HIIT elliptical (where my HR goes from 135 ish to 180), use the arc trainer, etc. I also have equipment at home for both strength and cardio (elliptical, stationary bike, dumbbells, kettlebells, and a heavy punching bag/stand). I just don't count out my walking as part of my exercise. If it's getting my HR up to anything above 70%, I freaking log it... that's exercise!
  • BJPitts
    BJPitts Posts: 6
    Options
    I have been power walking at least 30 minutes a day AND doing exercise routines with a 10 lb kettle ball for about 10-15 minutes daily. I have been doing this since February 9, 2012. I have lost 12 lbs. Of course I have been eating healthy and drinking a ton of water. All of this is done in my own home and at a local track. I am busy Mom with 4 kids, (one of which just turned a year old), so time and money is a big factor for me. The kettle ball workout is done each morning and most of my walking is done on my lunch break or in the evening once I get home from work. I have lost inches in my hips, waist and stomach and I am actually down two dress sizes. It is amazing to see such awesome results. I have about 46 more pounds to go and I would like to go down at least 3 more dress sizes by the end of the year. So far it looks like I am well on my way to meet or exceed my goal.
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i have lost almost 34lbs by walking, with a tiny bit of swimming once a week last summer, and a few dance around the house like a mad thing sessions... but walking is my main form of exercise, i can walk round 'the square' (4miles, some of it uphill) in an hour and on easter sunday am walking 10ks to raise money for scottish childrens charities
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Walking works! And it is good for the soul. I love being outdoors. Find it boring working out indoors.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Walking is still my main cardio, When I started, all I could do is a mile and it took my close to half hour. I worked at it until I could do a 20 minute mile, which is where your start to reap cardio benefits. Once I got there, I started working toward duration and speed. I now do 15 minute miles for 40 minutes. I do this 5 days a week. Sometimes I walk on my off days, but it's slower, 3mph and I do about a mile.

Walking is particularly helpful after a high carb meal as it will help to level blood sugar which reduces the chance of a sugar crash which of course triggers cravings.

Hope the info helps and/or encourages someone.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

It depends on how must effort you're putting into it. If you're just going for a casual stroll for 30 minutes you won't burn as many calories as you would if you were power walking at 4.5+mph pumping your arms wearing 1lb wrist weights.

I burn more calories, according to my HRM, power walking than I do running at 6.5mph. It's all about where your heart rate falls.

Oh, and I started out doing only walking the first 8 months of getting back into shape and lost 63 pounds. Then I started gradually running and now run several times a week.

maybe you're right, i just feel like if you are healthy enough you should be investing your work out time more wisely by doing exercises that really challenge you. i dont feel that walking is a challenge.

Then maybe you're doing it wrong. :-)

With a weighted pack, moving quickly and climbing steep hills, walking is as challenging (per my heart rate monitor, my Body Media Fit and my perceived exertion) as doing an hour of step aerobics or cardio drills. One hour of walking (the way I do it) burns more calories than P90X: Plyo, Cardio X or Kenpo. Walking (for me) also burns more calories than an hour of circuit training.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I've tried out the gym but it just isn't for me, the thought of sweat makes me feel a bit sick to be honest. Walking is how I get my exercise, I walk about 30-120 minutes everyday and I really enjoy it. I'm not doing it to lose weight, but it completely helps my mental side. I suffer with depression, have for about four-five years and I know alot of what made it worse was down to my ex, ex step dad and my eating disorder, and even though I know I'm still suffering with anorexia, I feel alot more mentally stable. I put it down to god and also getting out there and just walking. I no longer have suicidal thoughts so yeah if that's not a reason to walk I don't know what is lol.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I love walking too!! Did almost 9 miles on Saturday and probably another 5 or so on Sunday and, I think, 3 today...was a bit lazy :blushing:

Slacker :laugh: :tongue:

Tomorrow I shall do better :happy:
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I get an hour for lunch. That is not enough time to go to a gym, change work-out, clean up, and make it back to the office. It is enough time to eat and have 30 minutes left over for walking. Plus you haven't sweated like a pig and smell when coming back to the office.
    Walking will produce the same results as running, it just takes longer.